• 66 results
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By oatz

That astonishingly awesome claim comes from Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, who says he has found conclusive evidence of alien life — fossils of bacteria found in an extremely rare class of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites. (There are only nine such meteorites on planet Earth.) Hoover’s findings were published late Friday night in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist would say that this is impossible.”

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/nasascientistfindsevidenceofalienlife    

That's pretty cool, I guess.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

Update: While the Journal of Cosmology says that “no other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting,” some highly respected names in the scientific community are challenging the validity of Cosmology, and the findings of Dr. Hoover.

“[The Journal of Cosmology] isn’t a real science journal at all,” says PZ Meyers in Science Blogs, “but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth.”

So there you have it — this is either reality-altering news, or the work of kooks. Our hearts believe, but our brains are kind of bummed. 

/BuzzKillington 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Oh, good. I thought he found all my vomit covered on those smashed Lunar rovers.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luce said:
"

So there you have it — this is either reality-altering news, or the work of kooks.

"
Or an unfortunate meeting of the two.
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oatz
@luce said:
"

Update: While the Journal of Cosmology says that “no other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting,” some highly respected names in the scientific community are challenging the validity of Cosmology, and the findings of Dr. Hoover.

“[The Journal of Cosmology] isn’t a real science journal at all,” says PZ Meyers in Science Blogs, “but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth.”

So there you have it — this is either reality-altering news, or the work of kooks. Our hearts believe, but our brains are kind of bummed. 

/BuzzKillington  "
Well, that sucks.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind
They've claimed things like this in the past.. and yeah, the fact NASA aren't making a big deal about it and it's just came out through some random website hurts the credibility. 
Would be cool if it's true, but there's nothing to get excited about.
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By BaneFireLord

When the Journal of Cosmology makes contact with the Asari, then I'll actually be interested.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By wrathofconn

Yeah, I took an astrobiology class, and while this was certainly a theory we discussed, it didn't seem like the best. Really though, I'm just skeptical of anything called 'conclusive evidence' that's based on a single finding. I'd love for someone to find a real answer to the question though, unlikely as that is.

Also, if Fox News deigned to interview the guy, you can bet he's not the most reliable scientist.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By borodin

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where, they, are.     

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By rawrnosaurous
@wrathofconn said:
"if Fox News deigned to interview the guy, you can bet he's not the most reliable scientist. "
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho
@Rawrnosaurous said:
" @wrathofconn said:
"if Fox News deigned to interview the guy, you can bet he's not the most reliable scientist. "
"
derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jimmi
@luce said:
"

/BuzzKillington  "
Right... Science Blogs seems much more reliable than The Journal of Cosmology.
aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By aaox

Bacteria again? It's always goddamned bacteria.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Slaker117
@Jimmi:  Science Blogs is actually a very serious and respected site. It is written by a fairly large selection of experts in a variety of fields and is followed by many in the scientific community. The Journal of Cosmology... not so much.

I know that this is a superficial way of judging merit, but just take a look at their websites and tell me which one you think is more credible.
Science Blogs
Cosmology
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust
@Aaox said:
" Bacteria again? It's always goddamned bacteria. "
Well, they are still after the spaceship. ^^ 

Panspermia on the rebound then. 
karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By karatetron

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By aaox
@Jeust: You raise a good point. I still want to see alien spaceships with FTL travel, though, not bacteria. What good does knowing alien life is out there do us if it's significantly less evolved than we are?
Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimmi
@Slaker117: Oh hello again. I was just going off the names, but that Cosmology website looks like something I made with HTML in grade 6 haha
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust
@Aaox said:
" @Jeust: You raise a good point. I still want to see alien spaceships with FTL travel, though, not bacteria. What good does knowing alien life is out there do us if it's significantly less evolved than we are? "
Still it is a proof that something is out there. And as we evolved from simple bacteria, species in planets probably did also. 
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slaker117
@Jimmi:  Heh, yeah. Sort of weird as someone new to the forums that you happened to come in my line of sight twice with something I would challenge. I'm not here to pick on you, I swear. :)

It would be cool if this were real, but when you actually look at the claim and who's making it, it sort of falls apart.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Skald
@Slaker117 said:
" @Jimmi:  Science Blogs is actually a very serious and respected site. It is written by a fairly large selection of experts in a variety of fields and is followed by many in the scientific community. The Journal of Cosmology... not so much.

I know that this is a superficial way of judging merit, but just take a look at their websites and tell me which one you think is more credible.
Science Blogs
Cosmology "
The Journal of Cosmology website looks like it predates the Space Jam website.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bybeach

I'm rather surprised about the hostility towards the Journal of Cosmology, maybe because some scientists that some guys happen to see in this thread have askance of the field itself. Did anyone else read this? 

"The Journal of Cosmology's editor-in-chief, Rudy Schild of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said in a note accompanying Hoover's study that 100 experts were invited to critique the research, and that any commentaries would be published beginning Monday. The overall tone of the commentaries is likely to be skeptical: Lynn Rothschild, an astrobiologist at NASA's Ames Research Center in California, said many biologists were "very concerned" about the claims." 

This was lifted from Alan Boyle's column in Msnbc Technology and science concerning the study. I do not think many ppl. are buying the study, and the Journal did well to do what it did in publishing the paper and how it did it. But it was fair also, because the discussion needed to happen and if need be, challenged.   That is how it is suppossed to work. Instead you have ppl. judging the website and..do they even know who Penrose is? Do they know that biological origin's is but a related fragment of Cosmology, regardless of  theory?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

pretty crazy stuff. i heard about this before. nothing to be that excited about until it's actually aliens like in the movies.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Shadow

...astrobiology is a thing?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Bacteria is lame! I wanna see real-ass aliens in spaceships and whatnot! I mean, with so many planets in the universe, the chances of there not being life elsewhere in the universe are so slim that there has to be life somewhere. Intelligent life, on the other hand...

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_destroyer

So he found poop on a rock? Must be aliens!

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this were true then NASA would hold a huge press conference, and every major news outlet on the planet would already have picked up on it.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RJMacReady

I really hope this isn't true and that life isn't ubiquitous in the universe.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Skytylz

So these meteorites were on earth?  Could the bacteria have gotten in them while they were here?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@borodin said:
" Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where, they, are.      "
They're right there in the air duct with you. Here's a grenade.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By btman
@WinterSnowblind said:
" They've claimed things like this in the past.. and yeah, the fact NASA aren't making a big deal about it and it's just came out through some random website hurts the credibility. Would be cool if it's true, but there's nothing to get excited about. "
the thing is.  NASA has to hide their findings...our govenrments known about aliens since the Roswell incidents.  people who work for NASA who want it public might try to leak it.
borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By borodin
@MarkWahlberg said:

" @borodin said:

" Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where, they, are.      "
They're right there in the air duct with you. Here's a grenade. "
You always were an asshole, Gorman!    *Boom!*
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowshi

Knew it was horseshit before I even got in here.

Hybridiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hybridiction

I hate to break it to you my fellow gamers, but alien life cannot exist. It it said in the bible that man made us humans in his image, and if God made us in his image then he obviously did not make any other race in his image or at least on our stature. To even insinuate that such creatures could exist is blashpemy, and thus I believe it is time for you to repent. 

Kaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kaspar
@Hybridiction said:
" I hate to break it to you my fellow gamers, but alien life cannot exist. It it said in the bible that man made us humans in his image, and if God made us in his image then he obviously did not make any other race in his image or at least on our stature. To even insinuate that such creatures could exist is blashpemy, and thus I believe it is time for you to repent.  "
Derp
WhiskerMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WhiskerMeister
@RJMacReady said:
" I really hope this isn't true and that life isn't ubiquitous in the universe. "
Any reason why? Ubiquitous life is just so much more interesting.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slaker117
@Hybridiction said:
" I hate to break it to you my fellow gamers, but alien life cannot exist. It it said in the bible that man made us humans in his image, and if God made us in his image then he obviously did not make any other race in his image or at least on our stature. To even insinuate that such creatures could exist is blashpemy, and thus I believe it is time for you to repent.  "
Ha!

Thanks for the laugh.
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RJMacReady
@WhiskerMeister said:
" @RJMacReady said:
" I really hope this isn't true and that life isn't ubiquitous in the universe. "
Any reason why? Ubiquitous life is just so much more interesting. "
Interesting yes, so i don't disagree with your point there. But if abiogenesis is a frequent phenomenon then it's possible that the evolution of intelligence is more likely. If there are other intelligences out there some could be more technologically advanced. If that is the case there is the possibility it will be benevolent or a non-threat, but also a possibility that it would be hostile. I'de rather there be nothing in space but dead inert material.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slaker117
@RJMacReady:  But if you have to die, wouldn't getting killed fighting an alien invasion be a pretty cool way to go?
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bones8677
@Skytylz said:
" So these meteorites were on earth?  Could the bacteria have gotten in them while they were here? "
This was my first thought.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GunnBjorn
@borodin said:

"Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where, they, are.      "

Right, right. Somebody said "alien", she thought they said "illegal alien" and signed up!    
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RJMacReady
@Slaker117:  Not really because i don't believe aliens would risk personnel or equipment. They would probably dump a neuro-toxin into teh atmosphere that was highly specific for humans. There woudl probably be no indication of invasion before the last person's heart stopped beating. Incremental technological advances alone have changed the entire outcomes of war. The advent of rifling (grooves in gun barrels) decided the outcome of the civil war. The invention of machine guns made all previous infantry tactics obsolete. The integration of military aircraft as weapons systems changed the entire face of warfare. One single advance in technology can dictate the direction of war. If some organism can travel at super-luminal velocity there would be such a tremendous technological advantage any invasion(one would question why you'de want to invade earth, bcs mining resources in microgravity would probably be more cost efficient) would be one sided. It's not likely the aliens would be flying here and engaging in a ground assault with kinetic weaponry though that does sell tickets. A more realistic alien invasion movie would probably be boring as hell. Though nuclear submarine crews might survive for some time, aliens would likely have a contingency for that though.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Slaker117
@RJMacReady:  Wow, you've actually thought about this haven't you?

Yeah, in real life if an intelligence advanced enough to travel to us could probably wipe us out without a problem, but in real life these findings are complete bull. Even if there is life out there, worrying about it doesn't do us much good. And dying in an alien mass genocide is still way cooler than dying of heart disease.
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RJMacReady
@Slaker117 said:
" @RJMacReady:  Wow, you've actually thought about this haven't you?  Yeah, in real life if an intelligence advanced enough to travel to us could probably wipe us out without a problem, but in real life these findings are complete bull. Even if there is life out there, worrying about it doesn't do us much good. And dying in an alien mass genocide is still way cooler than dying of heart disease. "
I think i first came to this realization when they released independence day and on HBO they have all those teaser 30 minute programs, or used to for new movies. They interviewed a few scientists regarding the possibility of hostile aliens and they made compelling arguments that convinced me we wouldn't stand a chance, this was back in 96. But your right, worrying about hostile aliens woudl be pointless, there is nothing you can do about it. And i will agree dying in mass alien genocide would probably be preferable to growing old and riddled with infirmity, living in a retirement home laying in my own fecal matter hoping to die soon. 

Though one interesting narrative for an alien invasion, imho, would be a man or woman who has  a rare mutation that makes them resistant to whatever weaponized agent aliens dump into the atmosphere to sterilize the place of humanity. The story could follow this person around as they navigate an earth void of humans until they look up and see the clouds part and alien craft begin to land. That i think would be pretty interesting depiction of an alien invasion.
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Deusoma
@wrathofconn said:
"Also, if Fox News deigned to interview the guy, you can bet he's not the most reliable scientist. "
More accurately, you can bet that since he agreed to be interviewed by Fox News.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Slaker117
@RJMacReady:  As a fan of hard sci-fi that sounds like it could be a pretty neat take on things. Might be hard to make a complete narrative out of it though. Still, cool idea at it's core.
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By wrathofconn
@Deusoma said:
" @wrathofconn said:
"Also, if Fox News deigned to interview the guy, you can bet he's not the most reliable scientist. "
More accurately, you can bet that since he agreed to be interviewed by Fox News. "
You're totally right, that's what I meant.
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By skywing

lolz yea ain't that easy.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By arkasai

I dunno if it's just me...but I still wouldn't be very impressed if we found microscopic life elsewhere.  Hell there are organisms that can survive hundreds of degrees above or below zero and in the vacuum of space for a few days.  Don't think anyone will give much of a fuck till we find intelligent life.