• 133 results
#1 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

Psh I have at least double this guy's kills in Battlefield 3 and probably 10 times that in Halo 3...

This guy named Chris Kyle had 255 kills during his 4 tours of Iraq, and 160 of them were "confirmed" by the Pentagon. In the US military a confirmed kill is when an officer witnesses and records the kill by examining the body so obviously they can't confirm every kill.

The insurgents called him "the Devil of Ramadi" and put a $20,000 bounty on his head.

If this doesn't earn you the title of "total badass", I don't know what does. I mean this probably even tops Rambo and he's fictional!

He used a .300 Winchester Magnum.

The old US record was 109 by an Army sniper during Vietnam. And the world record was by a Finnish sniper in WWII who killed 542 Soviet soldiers.

#2 Posted by Andorski (5107 posts) -

That last bullet point in the sub-headline was kind of a downer:

• Left the Navy after 10 years to 'save his marriage'
#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I wonder what killing that many people must do to your psyche.

#4 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

Dude looks like gives no fucks.

#5 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@Sooty said:

I wonder what killing that many people must do to your psyche.

I imagine it's pretty hard to deal with at first. But after a couple dozen you probably grow accustomed to it like everything else in life.

My grandpa was a mechanic in the Army during the Korean War. He shot a North Korean spy with his pistol as the spy was gathering intel on their base. He told me he still felt guilt over it around 3 years ago.

#6 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

Killing 255 people is not something to be proud of.

#7 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

He did his job well.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@mac_n_nina said:

#9 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Thats pretty impressive

#10 Posted by big_jon (5657 posts) -

That's fucked up, this man is being praised for killing 255 people? I mean it is amazing but are you people fucking serious?

#11 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@big_jon said:

That's fucked up, this man is being praised for killing 255 people? I mean it is amazing but are you people fucking serious?

In war it's kill or be killed. And reading some of the stories of a few of his kills, it sounds like many of them were to save the lives of his comrades.

#12 Posted by WhyBeAre (73 posts) -

That's pretty amazing, I can't even fathom knowing that you have killed literally hundreds of people.

#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

Of course it is! All hail the American army, purging the scum of the middle east and bringing freedom and prosperity to our world.
#14 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3151 posts) -

@mac_n_nina said:

This. And the fact that he received an award for it shows how far we are from being civil.

#15 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Impressive, but also sad that we live in a world where killing that many people gets praise. Seems like they're forgetting what kind of impact each of those kills actually had. If it was me I wouldn't feel like my actions deserved a reward.

#16 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Ugh, nice job everyone.

#17 Posted by artgarcrunkle (971 posts) -

Really hope the people whinging are just too naive to put this in the proper perspective.

#18 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

I don't really condone what is essentially massmurder, but damn. His job was killing and he did it reaaaally well. Out of a professional standpoint, this is really fucking impressive, not many people could have done the same, even if they dedicated their lives to it.

#19 Posted by tekmojo (2298 posts) -

“Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you are a conqueror. Kill them all and you are a God.”  

I'm tekmojo, and I approve this picture. 
#20 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

#21 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

"God blew the bullet and it hit him."

#22 Posted by deadly_polo (471 posts) -

Saying he is a mass murderer is wrong, in war that is what happens and snipers have a very tough job because unlike infantrymen, tank gunners, pilots etc they look at their target very closely and see their last facial expressions as they shoot the guy.

This SEAL shot a woman who was moving towards a unit holding a grenade or shot a guy from 2000 meters who was about to fire an RPG at a APC. in these two events alone he is due praise

#23 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@kingchris28 said:

Saying he is a mass murderer is wrong, in war that is what happens and snipers have a very tough job because unlike infantrymen, tank gunners, pilots etc they look at their target very closely and see their last facial expressions as they shoot the guy. This SEAL shot a woman who was moving towards a unit holding a grenade or shot a guy from 2000 meters who was about to fire an RPG at a APC. in these two events alone he is due praise

Perfectly said.

#24 Posted by Aetheldod (3337 posts) -

Until any of us is in a war cituation we cant judge the man on "civilian terms" and he must indeed deal with the regret that such actions must bring , so I leave it to himself be his judge. And as long as he doesnt kill innocents , I dont care for his actions.

#25 Edited by RecSpec (3679 posts) -

Simo Hayha is the top guy right? The stories about that dude are insane and put this one to shame. Which is saying a lot.   

Also, stop camping.

#26 Posted by Turambar (6484 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

It's a war.  People die.  You can disdain wars all you want, but disdaining soldiers who are good at their jobs is idiotic.  What would you guys rather happen?  Him get shot and killed?  And no, "Let there be no war at all" is not an answer until soldiers are the ones making the executive decision of starting one.
#27 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

I think Simo Hayha (the world record holder) has an appropriate quote for this situation: "I did what I was told to as well as I could."

You can't blame the guy if he killed people who tried to kill him or his friends, in fact he should be (and was) rewarded for his actions

#28 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

I joke a lot and make pointless crude comments on serious topics all the time, but in all serious, this is just fucked up.

#29 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@FancySoapsMan said:
@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

It's a war. People die. You can disdain wars all you want, but disdaining soldiers who are good at their jobs is idiotic. What would you guys rather happen? Him get shot and killed? And no, "Let there be no war at all" is not an answer until soldiers are the ones making the executive decision of starting one.

Pretty sure nobody is saying anything like that. We're saying it's retarded that somebody would get awarded for killing a certain amount of people. NOBODY is saying he is a murderer that shouldn't have killed people, we're saying it's stupid that somebody would be praised and given an award based on the fact that they've had more confirmed kills than others. It's war, leave the deaths be. Don't make fucking awards out of who can kill the most.

#30 Posted by TomA (2532 posts) -

I don't give a shit about some gung hoe American dumbass with a gun, but I do have few things to say about the article itself. It is horribly written, and it repeats things way too many times.

#31 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

#32 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

"Devil of Ramadi" is a pretty wicked-ass nickname.

#33 Posted by Brendan (7512 posts) -

All opinions on war and peace aside, that is pretty impressive.

#34 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#35 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

I'm not blaming the guy, I don't know what he's like, but I do know that making an award out of it is kind of fucking terrible, so SORRY.

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9374 posts) -

@Andorski said:

That last bullet point in the sub-headline was kind of a downer

Starting off the year strong with a great pun. Well done good sir.

#37 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

People get awarded in games for killing the same skin-put-on-3d-model over and over again, about time we started giving the same useless awards to real life soldiers who actually put their lives on the line.  
Sure, wars is bad and all that but shooting people is his job. 

#38 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

pretty crazy. it's nothing to be proud of. it's his job since he was fighting a war.

#39 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

Rambo has 220 kills, by the way.

#40 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -
@ajamafalous: Oh fudge. That's crazy.

Dude's got more kills than goddamn Rambo. Goddamn.
#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
People get awarded in games for killing the same skin-put-on-3d-model over and over again, about time we started giving the same useless awards to real life soldiers who actually put their lives on the line.  
I wonder if he got this in his face everytime he popped a "bad guy" 

#42 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

It might be time to hide off-topic again...

#43 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

The man is just doing his job. Awful lot of high horses in here. In civilian life employees get recognized for efficiency and high performance in the workplace; his just happens to be on the battlefield. Calling him a murderer for killing enemy combatants is woefully misinformed. If it happened to be civilians this would be a different story.

#44 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

@mac_n_nina said:

Yeah, it reminds me of those asinine bumper stickers that say "God bless our troops, especially our snipers."

#45 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Fucking campers. I hate those guys.

#46 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

Of course it is! All hail the American army, purging the scum of the middle east and bringing freedom and prosperity to our world.
I hope that was a joke, albeit a bad one. I really do.  
In any case, killing 255 people is nothing to be proud of, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either. Most soldiers don't enjoy killing, they're there to defend their country, or at the very least they think they are. Whether or not they are is arguable. And I'd like to know how that guy sleeps. I'm not accusing or judging, but killing 255 people has to take a toll.
#47 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

A 255 KDR is pretty impressive, brah!

#48 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

The man is just doing his job. Awful lot of high horses in here. In civilian life employees get recognized for efficiency and high performance in the workplace; his just happens to be on the battlefield. Calling him a murderer for killing enemy combatants is woefully misinformed. If it happened to be civilians this would be a different story.

The amount of people one man has killed while sitting on his ass with a rifle means nothing. What should be praised are acts of valor and selflessness. It's not like he's Randy Shughart. He's just another overpraised Navy SEAL that gets all the glory.

#49 Edited by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

@Subjugation said:

The amount of people one man has killed while sitting on his ass with a rifle means nothing. What should be praised are acts of valor and selflessness. It's not like he's Randy Shughart. He's just another overpraised Navy SEAL that gets all the glory.

Don't trivialize the duty of a sniper just cause you think they just "sit on their ass with a rifle" away from the thick of the battle. Putting yourself at greater risk makes you braver and more heroic, but it also makers you dead. Snipers are there to cover others and eliminate threats that could potentially kill your fellow soldiers. Whether they're doing that in the middle of the battle or out on a hill away from the heat doesn't matter. I agree that the act of killing people isn't the part that should be praised. Killing is a necessity in war to protect your fellow soldiers and the latter part is the part that should be praised. And it sounds like this guy did that. Does he deserve more praise and awards than others who also put their lives on the line? Probably not, but don't act like he didn't do anything.

#50 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
@ZeForgotten said:
I wonder if he got this in his face everytime he popped a "bad guy" 

It's either that or he gets shot and somebody runs up and throws jam in his eyes