singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By singular

@Commando:

The "war" america was in with iraq is over. So you really should use the past tense there friend. Besides that, I think i am not alone of with my opinion that US troops had no business being there in the first place. So I see no validity in your argument there.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Commando

@SinGulaR said:

@Commando:

you really should use the past tense there friend.

Read my post, friend.

The fact is we were at war in Iraq, and there were hostiles ready to kill his fellow American soldiers. It was his job to protect his comrades and he did this better than any American sniper in history.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103  Edited By Renahzor

@SinGulaR said:

@Commando:

The "war" america was in with iraq is over. So you really should use the past tense there friend. Besides that, I think i am not alone of with my opinion that US troops had no business being there in the first place. So I see no validity in your argument there.

He used past tense, not even an edit, so perhaps your reading comprehension needs the adjustment. Also the Irony in your posts is quite humorous, keep up the good work and America hating, I'm sure it will serve you well in life.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By L44

@Moreau_MD said:

wow, there's a whole lot of selective reading going on in this post. interesting how none of the guys here who are trying to make the soldier out to be a hero by shooting down everything i say actually had very little to say back to this 'to clarify. Just because something may ultimately be necessary, that doesn't mean it still isn't butchery. Butchery should never be glorified.' I understand this guy was doing his job- but he is the one who chose to follow professional killing as a career path. He should have accepted the moral consequences of that choice; instead he's exploiting the situation by writing some lame book about how 'badass' he thinks he is and grinning like a moron for photo ops- it shows a total lack of respect and understanding of the war at large.So he probably saved a few lives in the process- for that he should be lauded, but I bet it wasn't anywhere near the number he took. like someone pointed out earlier, why isn't this a medic or radio operative who's being hailed as a badass for SAVING 200+ lives. In answer to your statement about how its a dog eat dog world, I totally agree with you- but that doesn't mean we should idolize shit like this. There's a reason wolves don't talk; they're un-evolved animals- just like this redneck asshole is.

Oh, and for crying out loud, how can any of you defend/ admire a guy who says he was able to make so many kills because 'Jesus blew the bullets in the right direction to hit'. I had no idea this site had so many military nuts. I'm not actually anti-war per se. It's often unavoidable in the end. I just think dickheads like these and those who defend them diminish those who have genuinely fought, and perhaps died, in defense of their ideals over the centuries.

fucking spot on

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@Sooty said:

I wonder what killing that many people must do to your psyche.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if, in a strictly psychological sense, it's easier to kill from a sniper's position or to kill in closer quarters.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106  Edited By fisher81

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

Killing 255 people is not something to be proud of.

Of course it is! All hail the American army, purging the scum of the middle east and bringing freedom and prosperity to our world.

I'm American and I approve of this comment's sarcastic overtone. My country is fucking dumb.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By Jumanji

@Commando said:

@SinGulaR: The war being right or wrong is a whole different discussion.

The fact is we were at war in Iraq, and there were hostiles ready to kill his fellow American soldiers. It was his job to protect his comrades and he did this better than any American sniper in history.

HE WAS JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By StaticFalconar
@mac_n_nina said:

As true as that is, why do we glorify it when its in the movies and video games? Those same actions in anywhere but real life, we call them a bad ass and make them a hero.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By singular

@Commando said:

@SinGulaR said:

@Commando:

you really should use the past tense there friend.

Read my post, friend.

Sorry about that. My mistake.@Renahzor said:

@SinGulaR said:

@Commando:

He used past tense, not even an edit, so perhaps your reading comprehension needs the adjustment. Also the Irony in your posts is quite humorous, keep up the good work and America hating, I'm sure it will serve you well in life.

I don't hate America or Americans. Why should I? As far as I know the general American public is against war and killing. Even this thread here, where there are more people against praising the taking of a life than for it shows this very obviously.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ch3burashka
Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By Tesla

Some of you people are pretty dumb. He didn't kill 255 well adjusted individuals. He killed 255 nutjobs that were attempting to take the lives of others.

If you want to look down your nose at anyone, it should be his enemies who choose to hide behind and amongst civilians instead of putting on uniforms and fighting face to face, like men.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Come on, people. Let's not fight about the morality of killing hundreds of people.

Let's just all agree....that I could beat that record any day of the week. Come on, show me what you got, sniper guy.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@babblinmule said:

I never realised how many sudden white knights there were in this community. Jesus christ people get off your high horses, his job was to kill - and as the article says, it often was to save his friends and comrades in arms.

This forum is full of people like that, it's gross as fuck.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114  Edited By JudgeDread

@Tesla said:

Some of you people are pretty dumb. He didn't kill 255 well adjusted individuals. He killed 255 nutjobs that were attempting to take the lives of others.

If you want to look down your nose at anyone, it should be his enemies who choose to hide behind and amongst civilians instead of putting on uniforms and fighting face to face, like men.

255 nutjobsw that were attempting to take the lives of others. Just like him and his comrades then?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By zeforgotten
@JudgeDread said:

@Tesla said:

255 nutjobsw that were attempting to take the lives of others. Just like him and his comrades then?

I'm sure if it was an article about how some sniper shot 255 american soldiers who were just in this foreing country to kill people then the tone of this thread would be very different. 
Strange how that works.. "It's ok, to kill people, that sniper is so awesome!" ... or "What? a sniper kills 255 of our guys? what a fucking asshole!" ... 
Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Tesla

@JudgeDread: @ZeForgotten: Please point me to the part of my comment where I said this sniper was a super cool awesome dude. My feelings on this matter can best be described as indifferent. I was simply pointing out how naive it is to be morally opposed to....a soldier killing his enemies during a war.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By zeforgotten
@Tesla said:

@JudgeDread: @ZeForgotten: Please point me to the part of my comment where I said this sniper was a super cool awesome dude. My feelings on this matter can best be described as indifferent. I was simply pointing out how naive it is to be morally opposed to....a soldier killing his enemies during a war.

That part wasn't directly aimed at you, there's just a lot of that going on in this thread.  
Seriously,  "Sniper kills 255 american soldiers"  and everyone in here would HATE if the sniper had gotten any award. 
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Jayzilla

i would like to thank the OP(in total sarcasm of course) for helping to propagate the assumption that gamers are violent and love violent behavior. Ron Burgundy doesn't think that killing 255 people is classy. Either do I.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By IceColdGamer

Good for him. Thanks for your service brother.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Tesla

@ZeForgotten said:

@Tesla said:

That part wasn't directly aimed at you, there's just a lot of that going on in this thread. Seriously, "Sniper kills 255 american soldiers" and everyone in here would HATE if the sniper had gotten any award.

True true. I know I for one would dig it, just because I like snipers no matter what country they come from. Actually I like badass soldiers in general, but you're right it's all a matter of perspective. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist and all that jazz.

Sorry if I was a bit snarky in my reply. I am probably one of the least jingoistic Americans there are, so I just got a bit defensive when what I said was taken as blind flag waving or whatever.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Arker101

@PeasantAbuse said:

@babblinmule said:

I never realised how many sudden white knights there were in this community. Jesus christ people get off your high horses, his job was to kill - and as the article says, it often was to save his friends and comrades in arms.

This forum is full of people like that, it's gross as fuck.

And this is just Giantbomb, imagine if this was posted over at 4-Chan. I imagine NeoGaf would just post killstreak and wall hack videos/pictures.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#122  Edited By mikemcn

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

@mac_n_nina said:

This. And the fact that he received an award for it shows how far we are from being civil.

We've been fighting and killing for thousands of years and we'll fight and kill for thousands more. Being a Pacifist is a modern luxury, but only for some.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By zeforgotten
@Tesla said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Tesla said:

That part wasn't directly aimed at you, there's just a lot of that going on in this thread. Seriously, "Sniper kills 255 american soldiers" and everyone in here would HATE if the sniper had gotten any award.

True true. I know I for one would dig it, just because I like snipers no matter what country they come from. Actually I like badass soldiers in general, but you're right it's all a matter of perspective. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist and all that jazz.

Sorry if I was a bit snarky in my reply. I am probably one of the least jingoistic Americans there are, so I just got a bit defensive when what I said was taken as blind flag waving or whatever.

Hah, if snarky replies were a bad thing then the Giant Bomb forums would've been shut down ages ago so don't worry about it :P
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By singular

@Mikemcn said:

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

@mac_n_nina said:

This. And the fact that he received an award for it shows how far we are from being civil.

We've been fighting and killing for thousands of years and we'll fight and kill for thousands more. Being a Pacifist is a modern luxury, but only for some.

Being a pacifist was considered a mental illness during the 3rd Reich.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Animasta said:

@mac_n_nina said:

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By mikemcn

@SinGulaR said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

@mac_n_nina said:

Being a pacifist was considered a mental illness during the 3rd Reich.

And millions were killed to destroy the 3rd reich which is why you are able to (Assuming you live in the 1st, or most of the 2nd, world), express your pacifism. There's nothing wrong with being a pacifist, but you wouldn't be one if it weren't for the fact that your safety has been secured through violence. In a situation where you need to defend yourself, or where you could only meet the needs of yourself or your community through violence, you wouldn't be a pacifist. Your nation has soldiers to fight the nations enemies, police officers to fend off the criminals, and land acquired and protected through show of strength, that just leaves you, free to think what you want and post on the internet about your views.

We've also just proved Godwin's law.

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By actionTACO

ugh, please stop saying this man killed 255 people. these were obviously just savage musslemen, not people. tia

god bless our Troops and we will never forget the events of 9/11

edit: oops, i forgot to capitalize Troops. make sure you show the proper respect to our men and women in uniform :)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By MezZa

I find it funny how a lot of the posts I'm reading in this thread are trying to speak against people who are saying that this isn't something to be proud of. Most of the posts saying something negative against this aren't talking about the guy, but the reward and the overall attitude of it. He was a sniper, so he was just doing his job. Good for him. I'm sure he helped a lot of his fellow Americans in doing so. However, it seems like most people here are just speaking against society rewarding the fact that he killed so many men. Not the man himself. So stop telling people that he saved his allies many times or was just doing his job. People aren't that stupid. I'm sure everyone posting here at least partially understands that fact. Give him a reward for saving his comrades, but don't give him an award based solely on most men killed. It's sickening. War is a bad enough necessity as it is, so there's no reason to turn it into a barbaric contest. We aren't living in tribes and bringing heads back on pikes anymore. Whether he's a war hero or a murderer isn't the issue. How it is handled after the fact is the issue. Giving him fame like this makes it sound like it's some kind of game that he came out on top of. As someone else said earlier, I'd rather see a reward for most men saved than most men killed.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By singular

@Mikemcn: Godwins law proven. And why not. Nice point for violence you got there. But in defence for my non-violent stand on things is this: To fight violence you need more violence whereas pacifism breeds peace. So saying that violence is necessary to stop one from being violated is a circulative argument which leads to nothing. If everyone where pacifistic there would be no need for defence against violation. I know the world is different than that and, because of enviromental and societal reasons, the history of the human race is defined rather by conflict than compassion one has the opportunity to argue for violence. I for my part am trained in armed combat and am able to defend myself if necessary. But doing so would severly damage my psyche and would bring me to the point where I would require psychological aid afterwards. I would NEVER try to defend the wrong in my action in that case. That is the difference between the people who WANT violence and people who are FORCED to act violent to defend their way of life. So altough I understand the need of violence in this world, I would not condone it. And never will.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By JudgeDread

@actionTACO said:

ugh, please stop saying this man killed 255 people. these were obviously just savage musslemen, not people. tia

edit: oops, i forgot to capitalize Troops. make sure you show the proper respect to our men and women in uniform :)

stupidity or irony?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By intro

@mac_n_nina said:

This, whether we were in "war" with the people or not.

I don't like campers anyway :p

@actionTACO said:

LMFAO

Hoffafiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Hoffafiles

Holy hell, I think he is part of the Seal Team we ran missions with in 2005. I remember their sniper had 20 something kills within 7 days of getting to Ramadi. My team leader had to rescue them a number of times in a 113 after they had "stirred up the nest". Seems like a lifetime ago....

Edit: I asked around, and he in fact was one of the guys we ran missions with. Good times

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#133  Edited By JasonR86

I'm torn on this whole thing. It does seem weird to praise someone for killing so many people even if it is during a time of war. But, at the same time, the people who are saying things like he is a serial killer are ignorant mother-fuckers who are likely in a safe, happy situation where the idea of 'war' is as real to them as the 'Shire' from the Lord of the Rings universe. He is damn good at his job. It's just...I don't know. I feel weird about the whole thing because I don't know how to really feel about it.