#201 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Patriots vs. Broncos: can anyone explain why the Pats tried to convert a fourth down when it was 4th and 5? Had the Broncos not fumbled they could have gotten back and at least tied it. It seemed like the reward was far outweighed by the consequences.

Saints vs. Chargers: Congrats to Brees for breaking Unitas' record (I'm totally sure he's on this site).

#202 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5706 posts) -

@ThePickle: If you go by the numbers it's almost always worth going for it between the 45-35 yard line; unless you have the best field goal kicker or the best punter in the universe. Losing the ball at the 40 isn't much of an issue; though obviously the outcome of the play was potentially disastrous.

#203 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@ThePickle: If you go by the numbers it's almost always worth going for it between the 45-35 yard line; unless you have the best field goal kicker or the best punter in the universe. Losing the ball at the 40 isn't much of an issue; though obviously the outcome of the play was potentially disastrous.

But with Peyton Manning taking that risk seems silly. WHy not just punt it away and make the Broncos go more yards?

#204 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5706 posts) -

@ThePickle: If the offense is so good that your defense can't stop them they're not going to stop them from the 5 yard line instead of the 40 (Safeties are extremely rare); if the offense is questionable (which the Broncos offense still is) then they'll have roughly the same likelihood of punting from either location. Games are rarely low scoring affairs anymore so it's not really a battle of field position like it used to be, excellent offenses with deep play capability are common.

#205 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@ThePickle: If the offense is so good that your defense can't stop them they're not going to stop them from the 5 yard line instead of the 40 (Safeties are extremely rare); if the offense is questionable (which the Broncos offense still is) then they'll have roughly the same likelihood of punting from either location. Games are rarely low scoring affairs anymore so it's not really a battle of field position like it used to be, excellent offenses with deep play capability are common.

That sounds reasonable.

#206 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

MNF: Texans score on the opening drive. This is gonna be a rough one folks. Seriously, the ease with which they scored was astounding.

#207 Posted by Deadlypixels (72 posts) -

Colts beating the Packers was a great victory, I was getting tired of packers fans saying that it was going to be an easy victory

#208 Edited by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Fell behind here a lil' bit, but we're back!

This man has 4 Super Bowl rings and 2 MVP's.

Week 6 (10/14/12)

AwayHomeScore
Pittsburgh SteelersTennessee Titans26-23 TEN
Oakland RaidersAtlanta Falcons23-20 ATL
Dallas CowboysBaltimore Ravens31-29 BAL
Cincinnati BengalsCleveland Browns34-24 CLE
St. Louis RamsMiami Dolphins17-14 MIA
Indianapolis ColtsNew York Jets35-9 NYJ
Detroit LionsPhiladelphia Eagles26-23 DET
Kansas City ChiefsTampa Bay Buccaneers38-10 TB
Buffalo BillsArizona Cardinals19-16 BUF
New England PatriotsSeattle Seahawks24-23 SEA
New York GiantsSan Francisco 49ers26-3 NYG
Minnesota VikingsWashington Redskins38-26 WAS
Green Bay PackersHouston Texans42-24 GB
Denver BroncosSan Diego Chargers35-24 DEN

Byes:

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Jacksonville Jaguars

New Orleans Saints

#209 Posted by DrFlapjack (236 posts) -

I'm looking forward to Giants and 49'ers, Packers and Texans. Should be some good games!

#210 Posted by RecSpec (3849 posts) -

Hopefully San Fran can go 3/3 and fully conquer New York. 

#211 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5706 posts) -

Green Bay was somewhat clearly the best team (best scoring differential) in the league in 2010 and barely made it in the playoffs prior to winning the Superbowl, finishing with a 10-6 record. I'd say we win in spite of the coach though so if McCarthy makes enough stupid decisions (like not calling a timeout) we'll probably be doomed.

#212 Posted by JacDG (2127 posts) -

Can't wait for my Seahawks to play against the Patriots, the biggest test of the year for the defense, which is still one of the most underrated units in the NFL, at least in the media (never hear NFL network talk about them, and neither does our national media, guess that's what happens when the team is from a city, which isn't a huge market...).

#213 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Another barn burner for Detroit. If you're not watching the Detroit Lions, you ain't watching football.

#214 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Seahawks won!

Suck it, Patriots! Suck it!

#215 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Fuck, I'm so stoked right now. Have fun on the plane ride home, Tom.

#216 Edited by Dethfish (3684 posts) -

Ho-lee shit. I love the Seahawks, but I honestly expected them to get worked against the Pats. Not only was it an amazing game, but the Hawks pulled out the win. I'm glad I was wrong.

@Hailinel: Perfect. My exact reaction.

#217 Edited by JacDG (2127 posts) -

SEAHAWKS, SEAHAWKS,  SEAHAWKS, SEAHAWKS!!! So hyped right now, Russell Wilson really stepped up tonight, what a game! 

@Hailinel@PeasantAbuse@Dethfish: Didn't know there were so many Seahawks fans on Giantbomb, awesome!

#218 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Suck it Niners. Big Blue wins! :)

#219 Posted by Dethfish (3684 posts) -

And the 49ers lose? It's like fucking Christmas. Let's go Buffalo!

#220 Edited by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

@Dethfish said:

And the 49ers lose? It's like fucking Christmas. Let's go Buffalo!

On top of that, Cowboys lose! If the Raiders upset the Falcons this would be the best week of football yet!

All we need is a Texans win over Green Bay. And somehow a way for both the Chargers and Broncos to lose.

#221 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Ummmm, football?

I don't know if I've posted this before, but either way it's incredible.

Week 7 (10/21/12)

AwayHomeFinal Score
Seattle SeahawksSan Francisco 49ers13-6 SF
Tennessee TitansBuffalo Bills
Dallas CowboysCarolina Panthers
Baltimore RavensHouston Texans
Cleveland BrownsIndianapolis Colts
Arizona CardinalsMinnesota Vikings
Washington RedskinsNew York Giants
Green Bay PackersSt. Louis Rams
New Orleans SaintsTampa Bay Buccaneers
New York JetsNew England Patriots
Jacksonville JaguarsOakland Raiders
Pittsburgh SteelersCincinnati Bengals
Detroit LionsChicago Bears

Byes

Atlanta Falcons

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Miami Dolphins

Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers

#222 Posted by Dethfish (3684 posts) -

Ugh, god damn Seahawks. You're the worst. I hate you.

OK fine, I still love you.

Assholes.

#223 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

It's only the first quarter but this Giants-Cowboys game is going to be fun.

#224 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Is the Tony Romo Choke Train coming into the station early? I hope so!

#225 Posted by gla55jAw (2692 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

It looked like that was going to be the story...what a game.

#226 Edited by Milkman (17001 posts) -

THIS GIANTS-COWBOYS GAME IS NO LONGER FUN

#227 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

God the Bears need to draft Collin Klein and be done with the slob.

#228 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Yo, fuck Detroit.

#229 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

@gla55jAw said:

@ThePickle said:

Yup. Spoke way too soon.

Seriously, Elite Eli was 9/23. Even Sanchez laughs at numbers like that.

#230 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Yo, fuck Detroit.

Aw c'mon man. A lot of Detroiters like me have been suffering through our fanhood our whole lives. We have by far the worst franchise in the merger era. Cut us some slack. It's a hard road supporting these fucks already.

Wait, I just noticed your username. You are an abuser of peasants. Well I guess that's just what you do then (I'm walking away with my head down now).

#231 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Come on Giants!!!!

#232 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

My heart almost exploded but...Giants win. Phew...

#233 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@Milkman

My heart almost exploded but...Giants win. Phew...

YEAH GIANTS!!
#234 Posted by gla55jAw (2692 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@gla55jAw said:

@ThePickle said:

Yup. Spoke way too soon.

Seriously, Elite Eli was 9/23. Even Sanchez laughs at numbers like that.

Yeah, but Eli won his game. Sanchez and Rex are both in denial with themselves and their team. I'm cursed as a Jets fan.

#235 Posted by DukesT3 (1928 posts) -

Texans! YEAH!

#236 Posted by ajamafalous (12029 posts) -
@LooseChange said:

Texans! YEAH!

YEAHHHHHHHH
#237 Edited by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Alright, been pretty bad about keeping up with this. But I'm sticking with it!

You know how sometimes there are jokes that only old people get? This certainly is not one of them. I got my power back early yesterday, but many of my east coast brethren are not that lucky. My heart goes out to all Bombers who have been hurricane'd back to the stone age.

Week 9 (11/4/12)

AwayHomeScore
Kansas City ChiefsSan Diego Chargers31-13 SD
Denver BroncosCincinnati Bengals31-23 DEN
Baltimore RavensCleveland Browns25-15 CLE
Arizona CardinalsGreen Bay Packers31-17 GB
Chicago BearsTennessee Titans51-20 CHI
Miami DolphinsIndianapolis Colts23-20 IND
Carolina PanthersWashington Redskins21-13 CAR
Detroit LionsJacksonville Jaguars31-14 DET
Buffalo BillsHouston Texans21-9 HOU
Minnesota VikingsSeattle Seahawks30-20 SEA
Tampa Bay BuccaneersOakland Raiders42-32 TB
Pittsburgh SteelersNew York Giants24-20 PIT
Dallas CowboysAtlanta Falcons19-13 ATL
Philadelphia EaglesNew Orleans Saints28-13 NO

Byes

• St. Louis Rams
  • New England Patriots
  • New York Jets
  • San Francisco 49ers
#238 Posted by BamBamBradley (24 posts) -

Lets go Hawks.

#239 Posted by SynticV1 (53 posts) -

Need the Steelers and Cowboys to step their game up to help out the Niners while they are on their bye.

#240 Edited by TooWalrus (13234 posts) -

Here's my situation: I've got a friend who runs this little website, there's 52 people from around here participating this year. Each of us chip in $20, and it's a very simple game of "who picks the most games right" during the season. Right now, I'm in the lead with 80 wins and 39 losses. I know next to nothing about football, but I know how to google what the analysts are saying and choose the aggregate picks. I'm ahead by 4, so right now, it's a game of choosing what the people under me are choosing, so that I stay ahead. There's only one guy who's making risky picks, and if they pay off, he'll pull ahead. I'm getting nervous, that extra grand would fund my trip to Vegas coming up in March. Wish me luck.

#241 Posted by BamBamBradley (24 posts) -

@TooWalrus: Good luck man.

#242 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

51 points for Chi-town? Kinda wish I watched that game.

#243 Posted by Intro (1208 posts) -

Steelers game is just too funny. Even the announcers are going back and showing missed/bad calls lol.

#244 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

@Intro said:

Steelers game is just too funny. Even the announcers are going back and showing missed/bad calls lol.

The first pass interference and the late hit were definitely bad calls but that was a fumble.

#245 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I tried watching NFL this season, but over half the time is commercials. I watch football and rugby and the only break in there is the 10 minutes at half time.

#246 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

Doug Martin has gotten the one guy in my fantasy league 66 points so far.

#247 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Doug Martin is a hero. Also, don't lose Giants. :(

#248 Posted by byterunner (313 posts) -

yay, the panthers finally decided to win one

>.>

#249 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

Giants loss and one of my worst fantasy football days ever. Not a good Sunday.

#250 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I tried watching NFL this season, but over half the time is commercials. I watch football and rugby and the only break in there is the 10 minutes at half time.

Yeah, there are too many commercials in the NFL (not more than half the time though). Any fan will admit this. But the action in the NFL is unbeatable by any sport if you ask me. It's all about tension. A team gets 4 (actually more like 3) chances to get 10 yards. Doesn't sound like much, but it is. A team only gets so many snaps in a game, so they need to make each one count. Especially when you're down by 4 with 70 yards to go, no timeouts with under 2 minutes on the clock. That's a situation you see a lot in the NFL and it's a nail biter each time.

Not trying to cut down soccer or rugby, but just saying why I personally like gridiron football. Give it another shot. If the commercials are such a dealbreaker than I feel bad for you because gridiron football is really in a league of its own and can be an absolute blast to watch. I was in a similar position to you less than a year ago. I would see snippets of games and say "this is dumb. Just a bunch of fat guys stopping and starting". It's the same line we see a lot of NFL detractors spew. But there's so much more to it than what is seems.

Also, there are flips.