Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

I'm Arab, my entire family is of Middle Eastern decent.  I'm also American like my parents.

Am I allowed to call my own people the following:

-Sand People
-Camel Jockey
-Towel Head

There's others I've been call through out my life time, mostly after 9/11.  To people of other skin color or ethic backgrounds...do you find it wrong to make fun of your own people?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think it's up to you and your friends and your habits. If you make fun of each other, go for it. Don't expect people outside that circle to react kindly though. And don't expect people that are not of your race to not call you that if they see you're okay with it. I guess.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Suicrat

You're allowed to say whatever you want. Racist actions on the other hand are another matter.

Words are sounds given arbitrary meaning, it's the intent behind the words that matters most.

My question for you is, why do you want your identity to be defined by people other than yourself? Such as those people from the country from which your parents come, or your family, or any other group that is trying to claim ownership of you?

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahriman22

I half Haitian and I call black people derogatory names all the time. I don't care whether they get offended or not.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
Suicrat said:
"You're allowed to say whatever you want. Racist actions on the other hand are another matter.Words are sounds given arbitrary meaning, it's the intent behind the words that matters most.My question for you is, why do you want your identity to be defined by people other than yourself? Such as those people from the country from which your parents come, or your family, or any other group that is trying to claim ownership of you?"
I'm a very sarcastic guy.  If i'm in a room with Republicans or a lot of white people I will often talk about why Sand People are the reason America is dying and why we need to put them in camps.  I heard a guy on the radio do this and it was hilarious...he was saracstic too.  It also helps me find out who is racist and who isn't...
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

I don’t see color. People tell me I’m white, and I believe them because police officers call me “sir”.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
TooWalrus said:
"I don’t see color. People tell me I’m white, and I believe them because police officers call me “sir”. "
Hah. Colbert...
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Suicrat
KaosAngel said:
"Suicrat said:
"You're allowed to say whatever you want. Racist actions on the other hand are another matter.Words are sounds given arbitrary meaning, it's the intent behind the words that matters most.My question for you is, why do you want your identity to be defined by people other than yourself? Such as those people from the country from which your parents come, or your family, or any other group that is trying to claim ownership of you?"
I'm a very sarcastic guy.  If i'm in a room with Republicans or a lot of white people I will often talk about why Sand People are the reason America is dying and why we need to put them in camps.  I heard a guy on the radio do this and it was hilarious...he was saracstic too.  It also helps me find out who is racist and who isn't..."
Just out of curiosity, what does the principled opposition to monarchy have to do with racism? Or are you referring to registered members of the United States Republican Party?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
Suicrat said:
"KaosAngel said:
"Suicrat said:
I'm a very sarcastic guy.  If i'm in a room with Republicans or a lot of white people I will often talk about why Sand People are the reason America is dying and why we need to put them in camps.  I heard a guy on the radio do this and it was hilarious...he was saracstic too.  It also helps me find out who is racist and who isn't..."
Just out of curiosity, what does the principled opposition to monarchy have to do with racism? Or are you referring to registered members of the United States Republican Party?"
US Party.  My family is fairly political...so I get to hang out with Democrats and Republicans and some crazy Greens.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo
KaosAngel said:
"There's others I've been call through out my life time, mostly after 9/11."
Just curious. Who calls you those names and is it in public? If I were to racially discriminate, which I won't lie I do, I would not do it on the spot.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Commando

I'm not trying to call you names. My best friend is of Middle Eastern decent, but was born in America like you. His parents were from Pakistan. One name he's been called that really got to him is "sand niggers". I was with him when he was called that, and man it made him mad. 

I joke with him all the time about his ethnicity. Like: "Hey man, you wanna go in and get me some free stuff from Walmart? All you have to do is put on a turban and a big coat, change your accent, and scream random phrases in Arabic." Then he laughs and says, "good idea, maybe it'll earn me a ticket to heaven like Osama bin Laden." He knows it's all in good fun.
But back on topic...
I think it's fine to make fun of your own ethnicity to an extent, as long as you don't hate your heritage. Like in your case, a lot of people are making insulting jokes about middle easterners because of 9/11 and the War on Iraq. You're American, not a member of Al Qaeda, so it's probably better to just laugh along with them, as long as they're not directed at you specifically.

I'm white, light haired, blue eyed. I know it's not as relevant to today as you, but people have said I would make the perfect recruit for Adolf Hitler because of those features. It's just all in good fun. Just don't get too carried away with it.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
Vinchenzo said:
"KaosAngel said:
"There's others I've been call through out my life time, mostly after 9/11."
Just curious. Who calls you those names and is it in public? If I were to racially discriminate, which I won't lie I do, I would not do it on the spot."
Most of it in my freshmen year of HS.  LOL, 9/11 blew any chance of me making a decent reputation considering I was the only Arab in my white suburban neighborhood.

Then it happens at stores, or when I worked part time in retail.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I use every racial slur in the book and i'm white as snow. Go for it.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By animateria

Don't say anything that would hurt you in anyway.

Self-deprecation might seem okay in high school but its never a positive thing, if not a negative thing.  Its more apparent as you get older.

Just because the majority is a mass of ignorant people, doesn't mean you need to stoop to that level.

Whoever, says racial slurs is fine, isn't someone you want to listen to.  They just generally have, racially motivated thoughts, or no respect for people.

People's thoughts and actions are created through words. What they say, whatever level of sincerity it is, reflects a portion of what they think.

I suggest you either try to correct people who say something racially insulting to you politely or casually or just don't deal with them at all.

And self-hate (a common emotion in puberty) isn't something that is mentally healthy so try not to do it.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Hey i've been called some pretty nasty things before and there is no way i would ever join in and start calling myself those names. Be proud of who you are no matter what shit people spit at you.

tyrafan28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tyrafan28

Well you do have a right to free speech..

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed

I´m fine with making fun of my own people, i´m white by the way. Skin colour is overrated, every race has different quirks that can be made fun off, so go for it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By CL60

Go for it!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I was the only American in a school of like 1200 dudes when I lived in New Zealand, so I got called some pretty weird stuff...

All worked out, though. The group I hung out with consisted of myself, a Canadian, a Brit, and 3 or 4 Kiwi's. That was fun.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By subject2change

Use what ever words you want to use, if you are with company that can understand that skin color is meaningless and poke fun at each others stereotypes then you are with good people. Who cares what others think, you will never appease everyone all that matters is you, your family and your friends.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By William

If i'm white, and i hate white people because they're white, is it racist?

tyrafan28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tyrafan28

Every time I walk past my friend's apartment all of these black guys yell and call me sugar mamma and I don't know why.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Godwind

Freedom of speech.  Go for it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By mordukai

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ish

I'm part Bengali, part Indian and part Arabic. 

Don't really give a shit who calls me what, but I don't go around yelling racial slurs at people. 

Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Benjaminvdv
@KaosAngel said:
"do you find it wrong to make fun of your own people? "
No. Question is, do you think yourself as one of them? If you do then you are just making fun of others but also yourself, if you don't see yourself as one then you are just making fun of them, even though you can ofcourse do it, I can understand that they would be offended by it.