• 133 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

I don't know if there's already a thread about it, but here's a link to the story:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/08/georgia.ossetia/index.html

My brother's in Moscow right now, I'll call him later and see how it is over there.

UPDATE: Looks like they were attacked again early Saturday morning: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/georgia_south_ossetia

#2 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

that doesn't sound good. WHY Can't We Be Friends!!!!

#3 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

Heard this on the news. Sounds like some bad stuff is gonna go down.

#4 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Damn, that sucks.

#5 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

Here's hoping Alabama is next!

#6 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Yeah I'm just hoping an all out war doesn't start, otherwise they may call me back home to fight :(

#7 Posted by Hell_Dude (47 posts) -

WW3 is coming. Lets go and buy some conserves.

#8 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Yeah I'm just hoping an all out war doesn't start, otherwise they may call me back home to fight :("
Noooo. I cannot imagine GiantBomb without Jolly_Lolly
#9 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -
Hell_Dude said:
"WW3 is coming. Lets go and buy some conserves."
I say we Rick Roll all the Russian computers. :-)
#10 Posted by Solid_SnakeXx (1771 posts) -

But isnt Georgia a small country? does this really means the  beginning of  WW3?

#11 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"But isnt Georgia a small country? does this really means the  beginning of  WW3?
"
It could happen, because Georgia and and the US are allies, and then the rest of the countries would pick sides.
#12 Edited by Hell_Dude (47 posts) -

Georgia is said to be friends with NATO and USA. So, who knows. It all depends on the scale of the conflict.

[quote]I say we Rick Roll all the Russian computers. :-)[/quote] That would help...I think :)

#13 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

With 1400 civilians dead, fighting on boarders and the use of tanks and airplanes, this already is war.

#14 Posted by Solid_SnakeXx (1771 posts) -

But why does russia want georgia?

#15 Posted by Hell_Dude (47 posts) -

Where did you get 1400 dead civilians?

#16 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Russia has been operating with media blackouts in many small ex-Soviet countries. I hope Georgia doesn't become another Chechnya.

#17 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"But why does russia want georgia?"
They were angry with them for wanting to join NATO, and Russia used to rule Georgia for nearly 2 decades or so, so I just they may want that power back, but who knows really.
#18 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:
"But isnt Georgia a small country? does this really means the  beginning of  WW3?
"
It could happen, because Georgia and and the US are allies, and then the rest of the countries would pick sides."
heh. and we all thought ww3 would start because of conflict with iran.
#19 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

World War I started with the assassination of a small country's royalty.

#20 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:
"But isnt Georgia a small country? does this really means the  beginning of  WW3?
"
It could happen, because Georgia and and the US are allies, and then the rest of the countries would pick sides."
Remember in Afghanistan back in the 80's? Russia invaded Afghanistan, 10 years latter when the war was finally done, the Soviet Union collapsed. The only reason they lost was because we started supplying stingers to the Afghans. So Russia invading an allied country could go south very fast. Russia just needs to shut the hell up and stay put where it is, its caused enough trouble over the years.
#21 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Russia has been operating with media blackouts in many small ex-Soviet countries. I hope Georgia doesn't become another Chechnya."
I glad Russia at least eased off of Chechnya, god damn assholes. I've been there, it's actually quite beautiful.
#22 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Jayge said:
"Russia has been operating with media blackouts in many small ex-Soviet countries. I hope Georgia doesn't become another Chechnya."
I glad Russia at least eased off of Chechnya, god damn assholes. I've been there, it's actually quite beautiful."
Unless you stumble upon a burned down school with dead children strewn everywhere, it sounds picturesque :-)
#23 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

i hope the UN steps in to keep those two apart and settle things around a table...

#24 Posted by Dalai (7019 posts) -

Geez, Ludacris will be pissed.

#25 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

This whole situation is disturbing to the core. There's nothing like starting a war and creating cold war style turmoil in Europe on the day that the Olympics start.

That takes balls.
Like "evil empire death star" balls. That's like having a tea party for your cats and then...bombing them...
Regardless of the exact technicalities regarding the situation in South Ossetia, there couldn't be a worse time to do this if Russia wants the world opinion to support them. There's also that disturbing reports that Russia is just bombing all over the country and specifically targeting the civilian populace. That doesn't bode well either. There needs to be a diplomatic solution to the problem now.

#26 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

And the US demands a ceasefire.

This shit cannot be good.

#27 Posted by Just_Insane (1080 posts) -

Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us

#28 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

This is it

Nuclear combat toe-to-toe with the Rooskies!

Well at least its better than the Chechen terrorists copying attacks from the movie 'the seige' (the bus, the school, the theater and so on) and just basing it in Russia.

#29 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -
Just_Insane said:
"Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us"
Wow.
#30 Posted by Anonymous (119 posts) -

Hopefully this is over soon.

#31 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
Just_Insane said:
"Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us"
..Are you serious?
#32 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

wow, it says they are purposely targeting civilians thats fucked up

#33 Posted by Just_Insane (1080 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Just_Insane said:
"Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us"
..Are you serious?"
lol XD....no but whenever I still see Georgia i always think of the state first and i'm all like ZOMIGAWD WHY!!!!!!
#34 Posted by Begemot (108 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Just_Insane said:
"Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us"
..Are you serious?"
Of course he's serious. He's just saving face now.
#35 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
Just_Insane said:
"Jolly_Lolly said:
"Just_Insane said:
"Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us"
..Are you serious?"
lol XD....no but whenever I still see Georgia i always think of the state first and i'm all like ZOMIGAWD WHY!!!!!!"
lol @ silly Americans :p
#36 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I've heard rumours of there being over 1400 casualties. Yet on ABC News its the #4 story, after the marital affair of John Edwards, which I could care less about.

On PBS's News Hour, it was the #1 story. If you want good news that is unbiased and intelligent, you have to go with public broadcasting.

#37 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -
Cube said:
"Just_Insane said:
"Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us"
Wow."
Sarcasm - It happens.
#38 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
xruntime said:
"I've heard rumours of there being over 1400 casualties. Yet on ABC News its the #4 story, after the marital affair of John Edwards, which I could care less about.

On PBS's News Hour, it was the #1 story. If you want good news that is unbiased and intelligent, you have to go with public broadcasting."
welcome to the world of media bias. being a Ron Paul supporter im already well aware of all the reliable news sources. this is real news, who gives a fuck about who fucked who i dont care if its john edwards or bill clinton..O_o
lol seriously though, everybody lies about sex, how the hell is that fuckin news?!?!!
thousands of people are killing eachother in an unexpected all out war going on in georgia and thats number 4?!?!1
#39 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"xruntime said:
"I've heard rumours of there being over 1400 casualties. Yet on ABC News its the #4 story, after the marital affair of John Edwards, which I could care less about.

On PBS's News Hour, it was the #1 story. If you want good news that is unbiased and intelligent, you have to go with public broadcasting."
welcome to the world of media bias. being a Ron Paul supporter im already well aware of all the reliable news sources. this is real news, who gives a fuck about who fucked who i dont care if its john edwards or bill clinton..O_o
lol seriously though, everybody lies about sex, how the hell is that fuckin news?!?!!
thousands of people are killing eachother in an unexpected all out war going on in georgia and thats number 4?!?!1
"
It doesn't concern the US, sure they want it stop, but they won't make a big deal out of it until they actually get involved.
#40 Posted by angelkimne (173 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Yeah I'm just hoping an all out war doesn't start, otherwise they may call me back home to fight :("
Not sure how the army works in US.
But can't you, like, not go ????
#41 Posted by angelkimne (173 posts) -
AndrewGaspar said:
"Cube said:
"Just_Insane said:
"Since when is there another Georgia besides the state in the U.S.?!?!?!?!
This is absolutely retarded...how dare they steal the beautiful name Georgia from us"
Wow."
Sarcasm - It happens."
That just didn't sound like sarcasm.
#42 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
angelkimne said:
"Jolly_Lolly said:
"Yeah I'm just hoping an all out war doesn't start, otherwise they may call me back home to fight :("
Not sure how the army works in US.
But can't you, like, not go ????"
Nope. I'm actually supposed to be in the Russian Army now (once you turn 16, actually, which was more than a year ago) but since I lived here for 5 years + it's ok. But If a war escalates, they will start a draft, and will look at the list to see who hasn't joined yet.
#43 Posted by EndlessMike (515 posts) -

This has been building up for months now, everyone saw it coming. Georgia was being dicks about territorial disputes and Russia kept egging on Georgia to make a move so of course this happened.

Also everyone in this thread hypothesizing some crazy WW1 scenario where an attack against a small country escalates into a massive global conflict: that won't happen. The whole point of the UN's creation was to prevent those sorta of things happening again. Also no one gives a shit about Georgia.

#44 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

BREAKING NEWS!!!



GIANTBOMB COMMUNITY SIDES WITH GEORGIA AND DEMANDS CEASEFIRE, RUSSIA OBLIGES!


Yay.
#45 Edited by HitNRun (344 posts) -

:

Russia's ambassador to United Nations, Vitaly Churkin, put the blame on the Tblisi government.

"What is going on is a massive bombardment of residential quarters in Tshkinvali and other towns, too," Churkin said.


Remember this next time you feel the need to say something hyperbolic about US foreign policy. This would be the real thing.
#46 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Georgia was attacked again, posted link in my first post.

#47 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Georgia was attacked again, posted link in my first post."
wow, that is not good at all...
#48 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
xruntime said:
"I've heard rumours of there being over 1400 casualties. Yet on ABC News its the #4 story, after the marital affair of John Edwards, which I could care less about.

On PBS's News Hour, it was the #1 story. If you want good news that is unbiased and intelligent, you have to go with public broadcasting."
AMEN TO THAT!
I've been thinking about that all day today.
I checked CNN.com's world page today and my jaw dropped. When this was starting CNN's main page had some miscellaneous story on something related to pot. I'm so happy that random stories that relate to the movie Pineapple Express is more interesting than the thousands that have died in the past day and the possibility off all-out open warfare. It's shameful. Now it's moved over to Edwards and the 24 hour news channels are blasting the politician left and right.

WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT JOHN EDWARDS RIGHT NOW? WHO? I just watched a three panel talking heads debate and at one point someone suggested that this (Edwards) was just fluff. They all pretty much agreed. My god, you didn't even need Jon Stewart pointing out the absurdity. The news coverage deserves every bit of criticism they're getting online right now.

"What if Edwards was a nominee?"
"What if Edwards became Obama's vice presidential nominee?"
"What if the American people were more interested in actual world changing events instead of a bunch of goddamn hypothetical questions that have no relevance to anything? For god sake he isn't running for anything!"

#49 Posted by CleverLoginName (678 posts) -

Hope this doesn't escalate any further.

#50 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

oh no this sounds really BAD