thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By thegreatmuta92

EDIT: It was 100 percent my vision.

Lets be honest. Who else can't see a difference between SD and HD?

I can clearly see the difference in a game or movie made with igher quality tools or equpment ( i.e movies in 1970 vs today, games in 1996 vs today), but when upping the pixels from 480p-720p or 730p-1080p I see no difference. Maybe this is because my eyesight is shit.

The 32 inch Dynex my brother got was the best thing I'd ever seen, but I didn't even play HD on it. It was because the technology in that TV was by default 1000 times better than the old shitty tube TVs I had seen to this point. I think this may also contribute to why people see such a difference.

But yes, lets be honest, who else can't see a difference between HD and SD. Yes I know "technically" there's a difference in the pixels. This is not meant to be a confrontational topic shitting on HD , just looking for other people who have never seen the difference. It's like, technically a guitar may have better wood than another, but if I can't hear the difference then what's the point?

Edit: This was years ago, when I was kind of an asshole as well. Here is the update:

Hey guys, it's the TS. I'm typing this on a 40 inch 1080p TV right now ( using my brothers ). I know I posted this years ago, but I have to say, I was wrong. Very wrong.

I just happened to stumble into a "Post the best texture work " thread on GAF, even with the TV running 720p, and I noticed that stuff looked better than I ever thought it could.

I seriously did not think games could look this good, some if it looked almost real. So yeah. I just needed to see it on a bigger screen, at the right distance.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Me.

Sure there's an improvement, but I have to do my best to spot it.
It's not like we went from black and white tv to colour or anything.
I still got a SD tv and it works fine for me.

(Incoming shitstorm in 3...2...1....)

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By gabha

Can't really tell between the different levels of HD above 720, but I did a significant chunk of my 360 gaming on an SD set, and when I could finally afford to switch it was very, very noticable.

IvanOoze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By IvanOoze

Really? Anything in HD is so much sharper and defined, from watching sports or films you can immediately see a great improvement. Does this mean you can't tell the difference between Blu-Ray's and normal DVD's?

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jrad

Maybe I'm biased because I'm a PC guy (and hence used to being close to screens with high resolutions) but when a screen's low res it's clear as day. With a 32" TV you might have some trouble seeing a difference, but with larger sizes, they become obvious. Hell, on my 42" you can easily tell 720p and 1080p apart so you can imagine how it is with SD.

The difference really is black and white. Compare the crispness of text on a 1080p display to that of a 480i and you'll see what I mean. HD means no more fuzzy edges. Even from half a foot away, the text looks just as clear as it does from five feet.

thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thegreatmuta92
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Me.  Sure there's an improvement, but I have to do my best to spot it. It's not like we went from black and white tv to colour or anything. I still got a SD tv and it works fine for me.  (Incoming shitstorm in 3...2...1....) "
The only reason why I'd buy an HD TV is the better technology I mentioned above, and the fact that they are generally bigger. At that point HD would just be widescreen to me. 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Most pc gamers can easily see the type of pixels a game has right away. Remember when your playing 720p game on it, it goes through an upscaling process or maybe no scaling at all, which makes games looks sort of blurry. With pc games, if you played a 1080p game, your gettting that natively 1080p. Maybe then it's going to be sharper because when you watch a high definition blu ray movie for example, it's actually 1080p. Every pixel fits with every pixel on the screen. I mean how do you fit 720 pixels on a 1080p screen? Upscaling it. There should be a difference, however you have to make sure the source of your HD stuff is actually at it's highest resolution and not some low 720p source that is upscaled. That is something I want you to google, scaling.

I'm just saying, there are ppl with really sharp eyes for pixels like me. You have to get used to it and always look at higher resolution stuff to notice lower rez stuff. For me when I play games, it's like going from blu ray to dvd upscaled quality, you will notice it easily. From my experience, most ppl who only has a ps3 usually can't tell the difference at all for the resolution or they are used to 720p or lower resolution sub HD resolutions constantly, they don't have the reference for 1080 pixels or what a pc game looks like at a higher resolution. So in order to build that reference, you can go watch 1080i HD cable and 1080p blu ray movies more. 

32" screen isn't all that big, pixels are close together and it might sort of resemble more of a 720p hdtv. However my hdtv is 40" for my pc's display so you can tell the difference better. Also dynex isn't exactly cutting edge, rather a brand that isn't reputable. It wouldn't hurt to get your eyes checked, for some ppl, their eyesight isn't good and it's tough to see the detail for the pixels. They can only see the shapes and stuff, not the textures. If nothing I said made any sense, just try to make sure the source is really 1080p, not upscaled fake 1080p from 720p games.

Boogey131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Boogey131

I can totally tell the difference between HD and SD. I don't own a HD display and probably won't for another few years which makes it all the more possible for me to detect when something is in full HD. It's dependant on the programming, if you're watching re-runs of Golden Girls in HD, yes, there's not going to be much difference in quality, but when I go to friends house who have good Hi-Def screens to watch sports or animated movies especially, the difference is very clear. It's an improvement though, not a necessity, which is why I haven't shelled out for one yet.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Djeffers03

I can. For seeing the difference between 720p and 1080p it depends on the screen size and how far away you are. My TV is 42'' and from about 2.5 meters away there is a pretty clear difference between my 720p xbox (component cables) and my ps3 dashboard which runs in 1080p through HDMI. 

thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thegreatmuta92
@Boogey131 said:
" I can totally tell the difference between HD and SD. I don't own a HD display and probably won't for another few years which makes it all the more possible for me to detect when something is in full HD. It's dependant on the programming, if you're watching re-runs of Golden Girls in HD, yes, there's not going to be much difference in quality, but when I go to friends house who have good Hi-Def screens to watch sports or animated movies especially, the difference is very clear. It's an improvement though, not a necessity, which is why I haven't shelled out for one yet. "
But couldn't that be because of the better quality of the technology that made that movie, or the better quality of the technology in the TV in general? Would you see a difference from 480p to 720p? 

@Jrad said:
" Maybe I'm biased because I'm a PC guy (and hence used to being close to screens with high resolutions) but when a screen's low res it's clear as day. With a 32" TV you might have some trouble seeing a difference, but with larger sizes, they become obvious. Hell, on my 42" you can easily tell 720p and 1080p apart so you can imagine how it is with SD.  The difference really is black and white. Compare the crispness of text on a 1080p display to that of a 480i and you'll see what I mean. HD means no more fuzzy edges. Even from half a foot away, the text looks just as clear as it does from five feet. "
The display may just have better technology in general. There are no high quality 480i TVs at this point. An if you're referring to the issue I'm thinking of  the text issue was because they were rendered in HD,. Text on PS2 games and Gamecube games were fine on HD and SD tvs.  

And if you can't see that much of a difference on 32 inch TVs then they shouldn't sell them, IMO. Even if that is the honest truth, no offense but it sounds to me like a cop out. And I meant that I never saw HD on that TV, meaning that I never saw an HD thing on it, and it still looked great. 
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By artofwar420

Glasses. Get some. Not being funny. Or maybe you guys are just not watching it in a big enough tv. Hitman has a point. The size of the television matters a lot when it comes to resolution.

But in the end, who cares, as long as you're having fun.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It looks slightly sharper, but nothing major. Having a large, well lit display is far more important to me than the resolution.

Valestis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Valestis
@thegreatmuta92 said:
" Maybe this is because my eyesight is shit. "
Get glasses?
thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thegreatmuta92

I wear glasses, but my vision is unreparably shit, but it doesn't matter, because I can tell a difference in detail.  Games don't look like N64 to me. They' look amazing in 480p, but I see no difference in upping the pixels besides widescreen or the fact that  LCD tvs these days by default have better technology than most SD TVs that are out there and are usually bigger. I think it has more to do with the technology of the games being made, or  the TVs being made. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I can. There are a bunch of games where in SD I couldn't read the text at all, but can read it pretty clearly in HD. Admittedly I can't really tell the difference between 720P and 1080P, but I remember having my mind blown when I got my HDTV, and games that had already looked pretty damn good (MGS4 was the one I tried first) looked even better. Also, I should add that the TV I have is huge, as it's 61".

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

ITT: People with shitty set-ups.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

It's like day and night in my opinion.

atombrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By atombrain

You can tell the difference 100%. I don't know how you can claim you can't tell the difference if you never seen anything in hd on a hd tv. Sd signals look like ass on an hd tv. It looks like game room games on the 360. You remind me of people that go to best buy, buy a $2000 hd tv but don't have hd cable, then complain about the picture being no different and demanding a full refund.

Boogey131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Boogey131
@thegreatmuta92: Most of my experience with all of this is based on what I watch on my PC, and in that regard, yes, the difference between 480 and 720 is huge. Whenever I watch trailers on apple/youtube I always go for the highest res, it just adds a clarity to video that is noticeable enough that when I'm not watching a HD video, it doesn't look good. It's also one of the reasons I was happy to get HD streaming on GiantBomb, the extra pixels come in handy when full-screening videos.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Why not just stop selling 1080p 32" hdtvs? I have a 50" sony hdtv downstairs, it's a really old hdtv before 1080p sets. It ran things 1080i and 720p. It's blurry because of the size when you play console games. It's just way too big for having so few pixels.  

Of course you might say well the blu ray image might look similar to a 1080p at a smaller size with a 720p set. However that's not entirely true, you are being fooled in motion by an optical illussion. If you pause downscaled 720p stuff on a 1080p, it's all a blur on the screen with no details. With 1080p stuff, you see alot more details. It's not always about being ultra sharp, it's about looking normal and clear. When you use a dvd not upscaled, it's not all that normal and clear. Same with a 720p source, you notice it just seems a bit blurry and not as detailed.  

They also sell those 32" 1080p because interlaced images of 720p sets, which is every even line per frame is not there, then the next image, every odd line isn't there. Still with 30 frames out of the 60, you still get that 1080i picture, which is 540X2. Ppl doens't like that because it's not a full progressive image like 1080p, it's blurry and doesn't animate well as a progressive signal. That's why they still buy the 32" hdtv for a full 60 frame progressive full image. I mean lots of pc gamers still plays games on small shitty 23" 1080p displays. I don't, I play my pc games on a 120hz 40" hdtv and I sit quite close to it. The image is perfectly sharp, with consoles at 720p, I have to sit back because it will look blurry. Don't forget about the distance, perhaps you think 720p looks the same because you are like so far away, 1080p stuff you can sit very close and it's quite clear.

Do you have a blu ray player? A gaming pc? sattelite hd cable or HD cable other next gen consoles? Anything that might output a geniune 1080p signal? Not anything less?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Branthog

Yes, if you can't tell the difference, you are probably either half blind or you're sitting a mile away from your screen. Seriously, I don't even understand the logic behind suggesting that there's no difference between a low pixel-count and a high pixel-count. Look at a faxed document. Now look at a high end ink-jet or laser scan. Look at a video or game on your computer in 320x200. Now look at it at 1280x1024. Now look at it in 2560x1600. Of course there is a difference. A dramatic one. 

If you sit the advised distance from your television, you can even see a big difference between 720p and 1080p (except on small screens, I suppose). 

... can you at least tell the difference between black and white and color? 

Also, what are you doing on your television? If you're just playing with a Wii and watching standard DVD videos -- then of course you're not going to see any difference. The same way playing an mp3 of an analog recording from 1924 isn't going to turn it into a Phil Specter "wall of sound" experience. 

Anyway, if you really can't tell the difference and you're not just some luddite protesting against phones that dont' weigh at least ten pounds and cars that go faster than 60mph -- then great. You can save yourself some money by not having to bother caring much about your sets and content.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I have possibly one of the best SDTVs ever made.  A Loewe Xelos (which I eventually gave to my father when I bought an LCD HDTV) which has a native res of 1024x786 (most TVs are equivalent to 640x480 or in the case of some Sony expensive sets 800x600) with incredible image processing which includes motion interpolation.  That TV was $4000 AUD when I got it in 2000 and it remained expensive for another couple of years.   I can tell you there's a huge and easily noticeable difference between 720p, proper 1080p HD and SD.   People who don't see the difference need their eyes checked.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By FlyingRat

I can very clearly tell the difference, yes. You need to actually watch it on a big HD tv though. If you just watch it on a small SD one, then no, you're not gonna see as drastic of a difference. 

Edit: Oh wait, i only just realized you were actually talking about HD tv's. I thought you maybe meant software that's in HD, that's why i mentioned the SD, HD thing. But if you're actually watching things on an HD tv and can't tell the difference, then.... i don't know, i find that very strange. Like i said, i can clearly tell.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Marzy

I've never really noticed that much difference, either.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

LOL

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By shirogane

There is a difference, if you put the two next to each other, it becomes clear as all hell, but most people can't tell the difference if you just show them both not side by side. 
The biggest difference is on text. Some text is unreadable in SD, yet becomes crystal clear in HD.
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cikame

WIthout my glasses which i only need for driving i can't see a difference, the thing which ruins HD for me is aliasing... why bother having a higher resolution if everything's jaggedy and horrible?
Games on the 360 which handle aliasing well:
Dead Rising
The Force Unleashed 2

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meltac
@IvanOoze said:
" Really? Anything in HD is so much sharper and defined, from watching sports or films you can immediately see a great improvement. Does this mean you can't tell the difference between Blu-Ray's and normal DVD's? "
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By alternate

OP needs glasses.  Just play something with text on SD and then in HD.  As to this supposed increase in tech - other than HD there hasn't been.  Even a £3k flat screen with a huge contrast ratio can easily be outclassed if showing a poor SD source by a modest bedroom portable CRT.

thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thegreatmuta92
@atombrain said:

" You can tell the difference 100%. I don't know how you can claim you can't tell the difference if you never seen anything in hd on a hd tv. Sd signals look like ass on an hd tv. It looks like game room games on the 360. You remind me of people that go to best buy, buy a $2000 hd tv but don't have hd cable, then complain about the picture being no different and demanding a full refund. "

Do I?  I clearly know what I'm talking about more than those kind of people. And you can watch HD things on LCD screens, by the way., and that's what I'm using as a reference. I've played games on LCD monitors as well as seen HD things on the laptop monitor I have now, which can go up to 1920 x12000. 

The SD signals I saw ( via wii and PS3 ) looked great on an HDTV.  And who's to say with that same display technology on a 4:3 television, it wouldn't be just as good? 

@Meowayne

said:

" ITT: People with shitty set-ups. "

Then that could imply  the  quality of the equipment matters more than the amount of pixels. 

Can you guys answer this: 

If you took the technogy out of a high end Sony TV and put it in 4:3 TV at the same size and had it play 480p things, would it not be as good as HD? Is it the quality of the technology in those TVs or is it the extra pixels?  

And yes I can tell the difference between black and white and color,  come on. The difference from HD  to SD is not that big,, at least from my eyes. I can tell the difference between shitty quality stuff recorded years ago and stuff now. I can perceive  image quality. Upping the amount of pixes from 480 to 720 and above does nothing for me.  
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onarum

Are you kidding me? there`s a huge difference, hook a PS3 to a sdtv and load a game(a 720p game at least), then hook it up on a hdtv and load the same game, if you can`t tell the difference then you might need glasses.

In an sdtv the text is almost unreadable, everything is blurry, the color sucks, the contrast sucks, you lose a lot of detail, hell you can pretty much see the pixels because they`re so damn large, before owning a hdtv I also thought the difference wasn't that great, but now I just can`t stand sdtvs anymore, playing/watching stuff on them is like having strong myopia without glasses....
 @thegreatmuta92 said:  

Can you guys answer this:  If you took the technogy out of a high end Sony TV and put it in 4:3 TV at the same size and had it play 480p things, would it not be as good as HD? Is it the quality of the technology in those TVs or is it the extra pixels?   And yes I can tell the difference between black and white and color,  come on. The difference from HD  to SD is not that big,, at least from my eyes. I can tell the difference between shitty quality stuff recorded years ago and stuff now. I can perceive  image quality. Upping the amount of pixes from 480 to 720 and above does nothing for me.   "

Yeah well, that`s the point, more pixels = more detail, 4:3, 16:9 etc is just the aspect ratio ie wide screen or not, what matters is the amount of pixels the screen can display, as well of course as color, contrast etc, and a hdtv destroys a sdtv in every single one of those aspects

also playing 480p on an hdtv makes it look worse actually, because you can see more clearly the compression artifacts and what not. 
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#34  Edited By alistercat

There is such a difference. In front of me I have a HDTV, a 1080p monitor an a really old CRT. The difference is astronomical. Obviously blowing up SD resolution material on a HDTV isn't going to look great, in most cases it looks worse. But HD is a real improvement. Hell, why not display movies in 480p in the cinema. Sure it'll look great.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@thegreatmuta92:   I have a better SDTV than the best Sony SDTV and I can tell the difference.  That TV had higher pixel density than any other CRT of the day in 2000.  It was used in TV production studios around the world.

Sure, a shitty but proper LCD HDTV will have poor image reproduction, especially regarding colour gamut but it will always have better pixel density which means that it will always display a higher resolution image.
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

I can only tell a difference in gaming. I got my PS3 while I still had an old SD set, and thought the change when I got an HD set was pretty drastic. But, drastic in a cool sort of way - not a "let me tell you about pixel counts" kind of way. 
This question always turns into a dick dance where videophiles get to spout off impressive mathematical equations to help us understand that there is a huge difference between resolutions, while constantly reminding us of the equipment they own, which is so amazing that we should feel bad about our puny 720p screens.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Cincaid

I used to play X360 on a SDTV, and all I can say is that buying a HDTV was the best thing I've ever put money on. I think it's a huge difference, but I won't argue if someone claim it isn't.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Ramone

If you can't tell you are weird. I have a shitty Hitachi 22" HDTV and I could tell the difference straight away.

thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thegreatmuta92
@onarum said:

" Are you kidding me? there`s a huge difference, hook a PS3 to a sdtv and load a game(a 720p game at least), then hook it up on a hdtv and load the same game, if you can`t tell the difference then you might need glasses.  In an sdtv the text is almost unreadable, everything is blurry, the color sucks, the contrast sucks, you lose a lot of detail, hell you can pretty much see the pixels because they`re so damn large, before owning a hdtv I also thought the difference wasn't that great, but now I just can`t stand sdtvs anymore, playing/watching stuff on them is like having strong myopia without glasses.... "

That is a problem because of HD . SD game text is readable on HD and SD tvs.  Also, and I don't think SD is that bad,  and again, could it be the technology of the TV and not the extra pixels? 

I guess  everyone can see a huge difference in HD but me. I was wrong.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Meowayne
@thegreatmuta92 said:

Then that could imply  the  quality of the equipment matters more than the amount of pixels.   "
Moreso than the raw pixel count, of course. Have you seen the HD image in some electronic retailers display sets? Horrible. 
Of course an SD image, set up properly on quality hardware, can look and feel better than an HD image on a shitty display with no configuration tweaking. I guess this is what was happening to you.

But the same image, once in SD on a high quality 40" Tube and once in FullHD on a quality 40" LCD-TV is just so much of a huge fucking difference and so many worlds apart that what you are saying in this thread is just nothing but laughable.  And the difference between SD and HD on just the 40" LCD-TV alone is even bigger.

My guess is that you have just never seen a properly set up, crisp and nice, sharp 720p or even 1080p image in comparison to its 480p counterpart on a high quality setup.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@DetectiveSpecial said:

"I can only tell a difference in gaming. I got my PS3 while I still had an old SD set, and thought the change when I got an HD set was pretty drastic. But, drastic in a cool sort of way - not a "let me tell you about pixel counts" kind of way. 
This question always turns into a dick dance where videophiles get to spout off impressive mathematical equations to help us understand that there is a huge difference between resolutions, while constantly reminding us of the equipment they own, which is so amazing that we should feel bad about our puny 720p screens. "

It's ppl like you who buys a 720p screen, which I own too by the way. In all the threads when others ask for recommendations on a hdtv, it's ppl like you who keeps saying you don't need a 1080p hdtv, creating misconceptions and limitations on others because of your own limitations and misunderstanding or experience of a topic. If you don't want a mathematical calculation, just see how close you can sit before things gets blurry. For hdtvs and hdtv sources, you can sit closer. It's that simple because more pixels will improve clairity up close, where as both hdtvs might look very similar far away. No one is trying to show off, they are trying to explain how 1080 pixels is alot more than 720p pixels obviously and how it can be clearer and less blurry especially when you sit closer to the display. 

If there is something ppl doesn't understand, ppl can ask for clairfications or use metaphors to explain very complex ideas. Scientist does it all the time and everything can make sense if you have something to compare it to you already know.
Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Colin

I can see a difference with any Res, maybe it's because I'm about a foot away from my tv and monitor?

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hourai

Going from an SDTV to a 720p/1080i HDTV this summer, there was a huge difference. On my SDTV I couldn't even read half the text with my glasses on because it was so blurry and small, but as soon as I got my new TV everything was crystal clear and perfectly readable. Games look amazing now too, though bad graphics become more obvious with some games. Unless you're sitting like a foot from your TV or haven't configured it properly, you'd have to be blind not to notice a difference. 

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By onarum
@thegreatmuta92 said:

" @onarum said:

" Are you kidding me? there`s a huge difference, hook a PS3 to a sdtv and load a game(a 720p game at least), then hook it up on a hdtv and load the same game, if you can`t tell the difference then you might need glasses.  In an sdtv the text is almost unreadable, everything is blurry, the color sucks, the contrast sucks, you lose a lot of detail, hell you can pretty much see the pixels because they`re so damn large, before owning a hdtv I also thought the difference wasn't that great, but now I just can`t stand sdtvs anymore, playing/watching stuff on them is like having strong myopia without glasses.... "

That is a problem because of HD . SD game text is readable on HD and SD tvs.  Also, and I don't think SD is that bad,  and again, could it be the technology of the TV and not the extra pixels?  I guess  everyone can see a huge difference in HD but me. I was wrong. "
Yeah well, that's the thing, if you want to evolve the image quality you gotta evolve the display itself, indeed SD content will play just fine on SD tvs, but I want HQ content, great detail, vibrant colors, ridiculous contrast, and for that you just NEED a HDTV, there`s no way around it.

And yes, the technology of the TV plays a important part, but the extra pixel density is more important imo.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PS3RG
@ProfessorEss said:
" It's like day and night in my opinion. "
I cannot/refuse to play games on a SD tube tv anymore. 
thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thegreatmuta92
@Meowayne said:
" @thegreatmuta92 said:

Then that could imply  the  quality of the equipment matters more than the amount of pixels.   "
Moreso than the raw pixel count, of course. Have you seen the HD image in some electronic retailers display sets? Horrible.  Of course an SD image, set up properly on quality hardware, can look and feel better than an HD image on a shitty display with no configuration tweaking. I guess this is what was happening to you.  But the same image, once in SD on a high quality 40" Tube and once in FullHD on a quality 40" LCD-TV is just so much of a huge fucking difference and so many worlds apart that what you are saying in this thread is just nothing but laughable.  And the difference between SD and HD on just the 40" LCD-TV alone is even bigger.  My guess is that you have just never seen a properly set up, crisp and nice, sharp 720p or even 1080p image in comparison to its 480p counterpart on a high quality setup. "
Nope,  I just cannot perceive a difference in amount of pixels when everyone else can. This is just me.  When changing to HD in videos on youtube the sound changes but the image stays the same. past 480p.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ProfessorEss
@PS3RG said:

" @ProfessorEss said:

" It's like day and night in my opinion. "
I cannot/refuse to play games on a SD tube tv anymore.  "
Stranded on a desert island I might do what I had to do, but yeah, I feel the same.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48  Edited By damnboyadvance

I can see the difference. There is a big difference in my opinion. HD looks much more sharper and brighter than SD.

If you aren't noticing a difference, are you connecting things with HDMI cables? If you're still using those yellow-red-white cables, all you are getting is "true" 360p, which isn't HD. If that isn't it, and there aren't any problems with connections, then maybe your eyesight limits how you can see HD. Get some glasses, in that case. Afterward, you'll notice the difference, and you'll love it if you have HD available to you.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShockD

I do notice the difference. And it's not a slight difference imo. SD now looks just ugly to me.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50  Edited By GS_Dan