• 192 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

So on this weeks podcast we learned a startling revelation that Vinny does not own a microwave. I find this kind of shocking cause I could not imagine life without one, I'd probably be close to death right now without one. I mean without a microwave how do you cook microwavable tv dinners or reheat left overs? Am I the only one here kind of amazed and shocked with Vinny's lifestyle choice?

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nah, I think it's achievable if you enjoy cooking enough. I use mine very rarely.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

I don't own a microwave and still manage to survive.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ares42

Microwaves are basically designed for single people. Vinny is not single.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own a microwave, haven't for 4 years or so. Doing just fine.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Amikron

Stoves have the ability to heat things up, it is crazy I know.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amikron said:

Stoves have the ability to heat things up, it is crazy I know.

The oven is darn handy with this too. Also, to solve @i_stay_puft s problem, just cook food instead of eating microwave dinners. Oddly healthy and tastier.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I probably wouldn't own a microwave if I had not gotten one with my apartment. I still use it very rarely, mostly just for microwave popcorn when I have surprise guests over on the weekends. I would manage perfectly fine without one. I don't eat microwavable dinners and I reheat my left overs in the oven or on a pan.

I do have a couple of friends who don't own any other kitchen appliances except for a microwave and that is really shocking to me.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Whoa! So how do you folks without microwaves cook left overs?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa! So how do you folks without microwaves cook left overs?

in a pot or a pan ?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think if you're eating microwave dinners often enough that you can't picture your life without one you need to seriously re-evaluate your diet.

I have lived without one for ages, but have one now. They are a convenience but shouldn't be a core part of how you cook. Use a stove... cut back on the radiation.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I cook and very rarely buy food and I can't imagine my life without a Microwave. I cook with the intention of making leftovers and I would much rather reheat it in 5 minutes in a microwave rather than 20 in a stove.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

People without microwave ovens are missing out! It's pretty fun to cook with, and it's super quick.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Humanity

I just use mine to heat up cereal in the morning.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Someone not owning a microwave is the sort of thing that makes me want to say "check your privilege."

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I own a microwave and never fucking use it. Food tastes better when it's cooked proper on a stove and it's healthier to boot.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His Dad is right.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own one so I'm not even slightly shocked. My stove and oven is perfectly fine for cocking, and room temperature work if I need to defrost anything.

Sorry for sounding like a smug ass hippie. I'm in that kind of mood today.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently steaming vegetables in a microwave is less healthier than steaming them in a pot? Why? Because apparently people got the idea that they are beyond it? Sounds like bullshit to me. It's like somebody preferring a stove kettle over an electric kettle or microwave. There's no difference other than being overly pompous and for whatever dumb reason setting stove use "above" microwave use. It's a tool used to heat things. Some people use stoves, some use microwaves and some use the steam coming out of their inflated heads. There's nothing healthier about a stove guys. Get over yourselves.

People are fucking weird these days.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I don't have one... I broke my one day drunk... good times... anyways I never used it anyways. Maybe I'm a bad American.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Is microwave an American thing ?

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By btrdeadthanred

He pressed his own tortillas at one point, it doesn't shock me that much really lol

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own one so I'm not even slightly shocked. My stove and oven is perfectly fine for cocking, and room temperature work if I need to defrost anything.

A smug ass hippie isn't what came across.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli

I don't own a microwave. It's for dystopian future savages. I usually cook with a combination of low heat and steam. Due to the nature of the process, I can easily cook frozen produce without thawing it first. And I don't even have to stick around for the most parts - the risk of fucking up is practically nil.

Microwave food is nasty!

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Christoffer

@christoffer said:

A smug ass hippie isn't what came across.

What I do with my stove is my business, cop.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Who the hell doesn't own a microw... oh. Wow, it's not as uncommon as I would have imagined.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't used a microwave in years.
Toaster oven is where it's at if ya wanna heat some food.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird, but who cares? My sister doesn't own a TV and i think thats weird, she watches all her movies and TV on her PC

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never had a microwave. They are pretty cheap, but I enjoy cooking and have never felt the need to own one. Frankly I'm shocked that some see it as integral part of their cooking/lifestyle. Granted its handy in certain situations, but it can't substitute a well cooked meal.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My family never owned one growing up, and I've never owned one since moving out. I think I've used a microwave only a handful of times in my life. It's not essential.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#32  Edited By Kidavenger

When I found out; it was as if someone had attached cables to my body and passed an electrical current through my entire being causing me to uncontrollably shit and piss myself from the shock.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33 MattyFTM  Moderator

All I use my microwave for is is heating up shitty ready meals when I can't be bothered to cook (which is quite often, actually). If I cooked actual food more often, I wouldn't need one. Even those microwave meals will heat up in the oven. They're often nicer in the oven, too. But when I get back from work at 9:30pm, I want food ASAP.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My microwave is mostly a vent fan for the stove top... Sure it can reheat some things well but... They're a crutch that people rely on too often... For example, if you reheat pizza in one and you're -- well, you're eating droopy pizza - eat it cold or reheat it in the oven!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't live without a microwave, but I don't think everyone needs one so I'm not shocked.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People without microwave ovens are missing out! It's pretty fun to cook with, and it's super quick.

I own a microwave. Use it to heat up beans or whatever from time to time. So I've got no problem using them or people that use them. However could you please stop calling it cooking. It isn't.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By audioBusting

@j12088: I cook eggs in a microwave for breakfast sometimes. I once prepared dinner for 6 people with a microwave oven (from raw ingredients). I have recipes for making bread and cake in a microwave oven. I'm pretty sure I can safely say that I cooked with microwave ovens. It can be a bit fickle and sometimes dangerous with the unique heating process and the unevenness of it, but I find it pretty fun to cook with a microwave oven.

It is mostly a novelty, but it's interesting and handy when pressed for time (or just lazy).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

I've never owned a microwave. I think it makes food soggy and taste worse. There are better ways to reheat and reconstitute food. As for microwavable food... ugh I wouldn't eat that unless it was the last food item in town.

Toaster ovens are much more useful and versatile if you want a small oven.

That being said, I never really have leftovers anyway... I prefer eating fresh so if I don't have time to cook, I just eat out.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, a microwave is even more useful if you cook a lot. Just make twice the amount of stuff in any recipe. You can heat it up a few days later and not eat crap/ a plain boring sandwish.

A really don't know how you can live without a microwave.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By berniesbc

I own a microwave, but I mostly use it to defrost meat if I haven't planned far enough in advance and need shit done quickly. I'll occasionally reheat stuff in there, but usually I would rather eat cold leftovers than toss them in the microwave.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is completely reasonable. It is like being shocked someone doesn't own a clothes washer. Wherever they were before had those installed and didn't require buying their own.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you can reheat things on a stove or in an oven... and you can eat out or cook stuff. You really don't "need" a microwave just they are convenient and people love convenient.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Examples of things microwaves are good for that have nothing to do with poor diets:

Heating up individual beverages, e.g. water for tea, hot cider, coffee that has sat out too long

Cooking vegetables (In fact, you can find many places on the internet that recommend them for steaming over traditional methods)

Reheating leftovers in 30 seconds (obviously already mentioned in this thread)

If you can't afford a microwave, that's fine. Trying to save on electricity, I get it. But acting like a microwave is some sort of symbol of how Americans have forsaken the concept of quality food is a definite hipster mentality.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all, i have one and never use it.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By InternetDotCom

It can happen, but I thought it was weird because I haven't moved into a place that didn't have a microwave in years

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own one either and I don't feel like I'm missing anything in my life.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bybeach

I NEVER cook w/ a microwave, though I could see it doing veggies . But I could never do without mine(a Panasonic) great for defrosting and reheating. But then I also have a quality convection oven. Why, my oven except for the burners has been kaput for years. Also, about 1/3 of my cooking is on the Barbie, occasionally the smoker.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

You cannot just drop this without explaining it.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RazielCuts

Soup, porridge, scrambled egg - I have those 3 things down to a tee for the microwave and I don't have to stand over them while they cook.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@iamjohn said:
@humanity said:

You cannot just drop this without explaining it.

Well I mean obviously I put milk in the bowl, then put cereal in and then heat it all up in the microwave. I don't like cold cereal, and it's basically the only thing I use my microwave for.