Often. Drink up kids.

VirgieJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#254  Edited By VirgieJ

@Vexxan: Yes, I also drink some but little bit.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By NegativeCero

Occasionally I do.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#256  Edited By Monkeyman04

I drink beer most of the time to enjoy the flavor of good beer ( what I mean by good beer is stuff like IPAs, Porters, and Lagers that aren't made by the big three), but there are other times where I will drink just to get drunk. It usually depends on how much I want to spend.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#257  Edited By toowalrus
@Contrarian said:

@Drebin_893 said:

I am shockingly surprised that so many people in this thread don't drink alcohol. I don't drink much but Jesus, what a weird thing to take that stance over.

Ina all honesty, I was expecting a figure of 20% non drinkers at best. Consider me very surprised at 35%.

Alcohol, the cause and cure to life's problems ........... thank you Homer.

Aren't a large portion of our users like... children?
Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#258  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@TooWalrus said:

@Contrarian said:

@Drebin_893 said:

I am shockingly surprised that so many people in this thread don't drink alcohol. I don't drink much but Jesus, what a weird thing to take that stance over.

Ina all honesty, I was expecting a figure of 20% non drinkers at best. Consider me very surprised at 35%.

What does that make those of us who aren't?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By toowalrus
@Still_I_Cry said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Contrarian said:

@Drebin_893 said:

What do you mean? The adults who don't drink? Nothing's wrong with that, I've got nothing but respect for you guys- but it doesn't have anything to do with these guys being shocked that a large chunk of GB doesn't drink, when a large chunk of GB is underage. What's your point?
mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By mikethekilla

I'm drinking right now

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Contrarian

@Still_I_Cry said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Contrarian said:

@Drebin_893 said:

If you are 12-13, then you could quite possibly drink. I certainly know plenty of young teenagers who get drunk. It might vary from country to country perhaps, but in the west, I would have thought it to be very common. That is why I didn't seperate the ages. Most here would be at least 16, and they that age surely has a high alcohol usage rate.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#262  Edited By Majkiboy

I drank on the last of April a couple of days ago. All was fine, until people started to give me tequila shots, and I happily accepted. I would never have taken those shots if i hadn't had 4 beers before that. I usually have good self control, but I guess that nothing is guaranteed with alcohol involved. Everything ended pretty sadly with my head, hand, arm, leg and back aching. The day after was also ruined because of this. Some people would find what happened as cool or fun, but I am just sad.

And yes, if that didn't answer your question. But sometimes I wonder if I should stop with alcohol when I'm out or at a party and only drink at special occasions like new years eve, or when someone wants you to try out their super expensive whiskey.

I will seriously think about it this week and see what I come up with.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#263  Edited By hockeymask27

Yes but not very often maybe like 5 times a year.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Aronman789

I already have a coffee addiction to deal with, I don't need another.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#265  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I do not, and I find it definitely has a negative impact on my social life.

But since I don't really like many people, and the people I do like generally don't drink either, it's not really an issue for me.

yokunakatta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By yokunakatta

@Contrarian: Sorry if somebody has said this (not willing to read through every reply in this thread right now) and I don't mean to offend you but I think a lot of your philosophy is silly garbage. If you don't like the taste but to say that it is only an acquired taste is simply applying your own personal taste when making a statement about its objective appeal. It's not just that good drinks have a unique flavor, but some people (including myself) genuinely enjoy the taste of the alcohol itself. Most of the beverages we consume (milk, juices, soda) while having a wide variety of subtle tastes, are sweet or pleasant tasting in a very immediate manner. Only brewed or distilled beverages like alcohol, coffee, tea, etc. have an earthy taste that I have generally preferred to the former since completing puberty. While I didn't like the taste of the sips of wine I was offered as I kid, I don't like it now because I have gotten used to it (I don't drink very often), but I genuinely think it tastes good. Not saying you have to, but I find the taste of wine, beer, and even hard liquor fantastic.

Secondly, I think being drunk is an experience everyone should have a few times. Not because it is inherently good (often it is relaxing and pleasuring, and sometimes it is disorienting and miserable), but because why would you deprive yourself of the chance to make the judgment yourself. I have had awful experiences drinking, and amazing ones. All the consequences you list are very real dangers (except for killing brain cells, that is an urban legend http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/healthissues/1103162109.html). However they are all mitigated by maintaining self-control while drinking and preventing drinking from becoming a habit. While I can't speak for those who tell you you're missing out, what they're saying has some merit not because drinking will always be enjoyable, but because you shouldn't deprive yourself of the experience before making a judgment. Sure, you're picking the safer lifestyle, but you can't really say that your choice was well informed. It is only based on your perceptions of others and stereotypes. You experience the negative consequences of alcohol abuse through empathy, but positive experiences don't quite work the same way. I think you should give drinking a shot (hey it's a pun!) before swearing it off. Worst case scenario you don't enjoy it and you get on with your life. Just my two cents.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By NTM

No, I never do. I've only had a few drinks before. I've never been even close to drunk, and never plan on it, nor do I plan on going to a bar. Never drank, and never have I done drugs. Also, they just don't taste very good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Yes, socially. Beer (Heineken, Stella Artois or a local brew) or vodka mixes generally. I don't drink too often; used to be a weekly thing at the university tavern on Wednesdays but it's too expensive.

I didn't drink until I was 19 (legal age is 18 here) and even then I don't really think it's a big deal either way. Beer tastes pretty bad until you've grown used to it, and even then there are some brews that still taste like piss to me. I'm not one who drinks for the sake of getting drunk or finds it necessary to drink when going out, though.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By Stepside

The answers in this thread blow my fucking mind. Hell yeah I love to drink. It'd be impossible in my current social circle not to have a glass of wine at restaurants and a beer with the game.

Live a little. Don't get addicted.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not a sip ever

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Freshbandito

I probably shouldn't but I find myself jumping to conclusions about people who are making excuses and giving overly wrought explanations for not drinking that assumption is: "Man I really hope I never bump into people like you at parties even though you're the sort who never go to any party...ever"

Those people who just abstain with the reason of just saying they're not really interested or just prefer not to have my full support though. I was an Art student so of course I drink, drink just to have fun with some friends and drunk till I passed out in a girls' dorm toilet, some positive great times and some negative times (with a bit of positive ;D) but both are life experiences that make me look back and feel happy.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By MoseSSesoM

No.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#273  Edited By jay_ray

Scotch is great with ice, I like most wines (prefer dry whites), and I like strong beers (at least 5% but prefer the 10% kind a local brewery makes). I drink socially or when I need to loosen up a little for creative projects. Never drank at school/work unless at lunch with co-workers also drinking.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@Vexxan said:

Yes, but rarely.

Ryalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Ryalm

I've served more than I've drank, but yes, I do drink alcohol on occasion.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#276  Edited By Philantrophy

On social occasions, in moderate amounts.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Yes. A lot.

edmundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By edmundus

No. Tried it at university, hated it.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By Contrarian

@Krakn3Dfx said:

I do not, and I find it definitely has a negative impact on my social life.

But since I don't really like many people, and the people I do like generally don't drink either, it's not really an issue for me.

There definitely is a lot of social currency with drinking. You have to be a non-drinker to see it. The fact that I don't drink anything hot (coffee, tea or chocolate) makes it even worse. I am just happy with water 99% of the time. The old "let's catch up for a drink" just seems pointless. Like you, I am somewhat anti-social so I don't feel I miss much. I will go out, but I am happier at home with my partner.

@le_zane said:

If you don't like the taste but to say that it is only an acquired taste is simply applying your own personal taste when making a statement about its objective appeal.

Exactly. My initial point though was that it is rare for someone to actually like acohol the first time they try it. They acquire a taste over time and certainly like it, but the persistance is largely due to peer, social pressure. You may be amongst the exceptions.

@le_zane said:

Secondly, I think being drunk is an experience everyone should have a few times. Not because it is inherently good (often it is relaxing and pleasuring, and sometimes it is disorienting and miserable), but because why would you deprive yourself of the chance to make the judgment yourself. I have had awful experiences drinking, and amazing ones.

I can't agree with that at all. It is the "right of passage" argument that is without foundation. I have never tried any illicit drug, yet people say the same as you about marijuana. I don't need to experience it for myself to know it is bad for you, full stop. We have mushrooms that grow all around our home that you can "trip" on (not fall over). I have never been tempted to try them either. Your argument applies to everything - I have never tried gay sex, so how do I know I won't like it? My brain tells me I am straight, so I don't consider it. My brain tells me alcohol (& drugs) are bad for me, come with great risk, so I see no point in experiencing it just for the sake of it. No-one needs to experience alcohol, you just choose to do it. I will go to my grave content I have missed nothing abstaining.

Keep in mind, I speak only to and from my own experience. I genuinely don't care what other people do to their bodies. It is not my problem or business. I don't judge those that do, except those who commit criminal acts whilst drunk - no excuse. I was really more interested in the numbers than the reasons, although they interesting to read.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#280  Edited By Slag

Not really, I have a high tolerance,I'm frugal and I don't care much for the taste of beer. Wine's alright, I'll have it at nice dinners and such. I like the harder stuff better, but it goes down too quick to be much fun. And it's so dang expensive. I used to not understand it as many others here don't but over time I've softened my view on it.

Being the sober guy, or the guy people think is the sober guy, really sucks. If you are like me you get thrown in the problem solver role by drunk people who like you, I have to drive people home, help them out when they get sick, stop people from getting taken advantage of, listen to some horribly uninteresting drunken worries and take people to hospital in a few cases. It is amusing at first but that gets real old real quick.

So I'll usually buy a beer in social situations and nurse it, otherwise it makes the heavy drinkers really uncomfortable and by having one I don't get asked to do the crappy caretaker stuff. I used to not get one, but I found myself getting not invited to things or not talked to, people get embarrassed of what they might do around you. Even just having an open yet full beer in my hand seems to be enough to put people who do freak out at ease. Learning to how drink a little has definitely been a beneficial for that aspect of my life, sorry to say.

I'll really drink at special occasions and I have gotten railed three times I think? I can see why for some people it gets to be a social crutch. Those were pretty wild nights, but I have no desire to really ever do that again.

Don't think I've had a drop for two years now, kinda funny didn't realize it had been that long until this thread. Probably means I need to get reinvited to some dinner parties.

yokunakatta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By yokunakatta
@Contrarian said: Exactly. My initial point though was that it is rare for someone to actually like acohol the first time they try it. They acquire a taste over time and certainly like it, but the persistance is largely due to peer, social pressure. You may be amongst the exceptions.

I think you grossly underestimate "the exceptions." Given the incredibly large, vibrant wine and beer cultures around the world, all striving not to make the most poweful beverages, but the tastiest ones, to assert that the taste is only a biproduct of peer pressure is simply foolish. If a lot of people didn't genuinely enjoy its taste, it wouldn't be American society's drug of choice. Also, It may very well be that you simply can't stand the taste of alcohol, but I would recommend having sips of your friends every once in a while. The variety between different types of beers and wines in huge, encompassing an entire realm of uniques tastes. You may one day try a drink that you actually like. I'm not sure of how much drinks you've tried, but I would refrain from judging the taste of alcohol if your sampling is just shitty beers. Bad beer is absolutely revolting, and the taste alone makes me feel sick. While some mass produced beers are okay, in general they're not worth your time unless you're solely in the business of getting drunk (although imported mass produced beers sometimes have a higher standard of quality. Smaller, local brews are where it's at. A Dogfish Head or River Horse... Yum Yum Yum.

said: I can't agree with that at all. It is the "right of passage" argument that is without foundation. I have never tried any illicit drug, yet people say the same as you about marijuana. I don't need to experience it for myself to know it is bad for you, full stop. We have mushrooms that grow all around our home that you can "trip" on (not fall over). I have never been tempted to try them either. Your argument applies to everything - I have never tried gay sex, so how do I know I won't like it? My brain tells me I am straight, so I don't consider it. My brain tells me alcohol (& drugs) are bad for me, come with great risk, so I see no point in experiencing it just for the sake of it. No-one needs to experience alcohol, you just choose to do it. I will go to my grave content I have missed nothing abstaining.

Okay. First of all, marijuana is not nearly as bad as legal drugs such as alcohol or tobacco. Given, at least you're consistent with your logic. I think people who rant against marijuana's harms and then proceed to go drink until the black out are the worst. I don't think you're a hypocrite. However, when you say "I don't need to experience it to know it is bad for you, full stop." it really irks me. Your perception of MJ is entirely based on stereotypes and misinformation. I don't mean to sound mean, but I think you should spend five minutes reading its wikipedia before making any conclusions about cannabis. I won't take this conversation to a tangent, but I will say at the very least it doesn't cause cancer nor kill brain cells, nor damage long term memory (only while intoxicated). It's disappointing to me to see alcohol and marijuana, two very different drugs, lumped together. I won't say most, but a lot of smokers I know enjoy smoking but not drinking; it helps them feel in control and think clearly, which is the opposite for many when they drink.

As for "your argument applies to everything" portion of your reply, this is silly. For one, your brain doesn't tell you, "you're straight bro." When you look or think about anyone, you may or may not feel attracted to them. Based on these tendencies, you form a sexual identity, but next to nobody experiences sexuality as a binary, despite the insistence that it falls into 2 (or 3, or 4, etc.) categories. You do not receive a dogma and act accordingly. You have feelings (or lack of feelings) based on the the experience of seeing someone.

Secondly, this doesn't apply similarly to drugs because unless you feel physically repulsed by beer or weed , which might be the case due to social conditioning or simply taste (whether you like the sight and aroma or not), you're judgment is not made by your brain alone. It is made by what you have heard and how you interpret/reflect that. You can make the choice not to do something without the experience of doing it, but from my POV, that's not a choice. It's a reaction.

Lastly, Yes. You should account for health risks by consuming drugs responsibly and in moderation. It is obviously a poor idea to mess up your life just to do drugs. But there is value in doing things "just for the sake of it". It's the same reason we do everything. To add to our human experience or experience pleasure or catharsis. What is the point of life, if not to experience our own measly portion of the what's out there for us to do. Keep in mind that I'm not a especially hard partyer. Due to antibiotics I've had to take, I haven't been drunk in 9 months, high in 3. Drugs are not a reason to live or be happy, but a compliment to my life as a student, brother, and artist. Of course I don't do drugs just for the sake of it. That's ridiculous. It's my mantra to do every thing for a reason. As for my experiences with alcohol and marijuana, the reason was to have a nice evening, socialize, think about life, etc. Other experiences, like mushrooms, have had larger, more existential reasons behind them. These experiences have value to me, and that's simply because they are a good fit for my life. They might not to you, but can you really judge if you won't even consider them. I realize my logic may seem flawed when I say that you shouldn't do things for no reason and that I do drugs for a reason. But I didn't find my reasons until I had given the experiences a few tries. I use to think drugs were a futile way of escapism, but as with all things, I found that answer to be simple and inadequate as I became older. I just feel you should give yourself a chance to judge drugs on their own merits, rather than forming opinions without both sides of the story.

I hope I don't sound like a dick, I only mean to educate on why I think giving new experiences a shot is important. Every year I look back and think about how strange my past views were, and what I've gained and lost in changing. Your anti-drug beliefs may be valuable to you, and I don't mean to diminish or disrespect them. But I was much happier as a person after I opened them up to conversation, and I wouldn't want to see some who was in a similarly scenario not get the chance to do the same.

- le_zane

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By Sysyphus

Well considering i'm English, work on a bar, and was drinking babycham/ wine with meals since i was about 10....of couse i drink!

Cider, lager, spirits... It's all good, although i'm mainly an ale man now. Give me a pint of Hobgoblin, Old Thumper, Fortyniner, Mild, or Sunbeam and i'm a happy bunny :D Especially after work, theres nothing more relaxing than a good pint after a long day!