• 52 results
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

My two friends saw this film the other day; one saw it at IMAX and the other saw it in 3D.  The one who saw it at IMAX watches as many movies as I do and can tell the good from the bad, while the other who saw it in 3D is the kind of moviegoer who thinks Transformers 2 was a good movie.  After seeing Avatar, it's like they both returned brainwashed because they won't stop telling me how amazing it was.  The one friend who I trust can tell a good movie from a bad one actually says Avatar is his new all-time favourite movie, and that if all movies were done this way he'd actually stop downloading them.  Does this movie actually tell a good story, or are people just letting the 3D and the big budget CGI impress them a little too much?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By armaan8014

I've heard the story isn't anything new, but the effects are worth going for. I'm going this Monday!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

It's supposed to be like a theme park ride.  I wouldn't bank on the story for anything deeply enriching, but I guess that's okay.  What was your friend's previous "all-time favourite movie?"  I'd be willing to bet, if you asked him in a year, it will be something other than Avatar.  Once the "WOW!" wears off, he'll probably return to the old one. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

The story is simple for the setting it is in but go see the movie. It was really fantastic, the 3d was great and the movie was just fun!

Laxaloot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Laxaloot

I am what some might call a movie connoisseur, and I can say that Avatar's story isn't phenomenal, but is different enough from the things before it (Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully, Pocahontas) that it become a fresh (ish) idea, which is an acceptable stage to present new CGI effects and technologies. I think it is worth the money to go see it, especially if you can see it in 3D IMAX, but expect it to be almost a "popcorn flick." Don't try to delve into the story and find something deep and original, instead view it for what it is, a jumping point for many amazing, and sometimes mind boggling special effects.

forestofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By forestofdeath

you'll get a definite sense of deja vu from avatar's story arc--it's really nothing new. that being said, it delivers a visual experience like no other. every inch of imagined territory is rendered flawlessly, brought together even further with its 3D. take it at face value, and enjoy the ride.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I heard the 3D was good but not as brick shitting as everyone has been hyping it to be. This article is pretty good, should read.

forestofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By forestofdeath
@Dan_CiTi said:
" I heard the 3D was good but not as brick shitting as everyone has been hyping it to be. This article is pretty good, should read. "
i think it validates any sort of 3D we'll see in the future of cinema.
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Daryl

The story isn't going to amaze you at all but it's pretty. But so's Uncharted 2. 

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raviolisumo

The story isn't exactly original, but it's not bad.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By breton

I saw it in 2D, so I can't speak about that part. But I went into the theatre expecting it to suck and came out with my mind changed. I didn't think it was anything spectacular or groundbreaking as such hype may have people believe, both in regards to an unoriginal plot and, in my opinion, average CGI. However, despite mediocrity, I quite enjoyed the direction and the visuals. So while I'd hardly take seriously someone who decides to change their all time favorite movie to Avatar, it is worth seeing both for the fact that it's a somewhat new experience and at least worth the price of a ticket.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gregomasta

It's the Native American story, in the future, in space, with aliens and kinda the matrix.  The 3D and special effects make the movie what it is.  Best CG I've ever seen and the first 3D movie in a long time, really loved the earlier eye popping 3D parts.  Only thing to love about the movie is the Digital 3D CG.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Shadow

I don't get what's wrong with you people.  It's a genuinely good movie and the fact that it's hyped out the ass doesn't negate that it's at least the third best movie of the year.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Cynical_M

I didnt love it... The effects were great throughout the movie... The story leaves something to be desired,and I didnt really like the main character at all....

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gregomasta
@Cynical_M: Yeah, he's a real shitty marine.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

You've seen this type of story done a ton of times before.  It's done well.  That's not why you go to see Avatar.

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By v

i actually saw the movie twice, and i kind of have mixed feelings... The story is for the most part just a typical guy meets girl thing, but what makes the movie is how beautiful and entralling the environments and some of the scenes are. That being said, it is the most expensive movie that has ever been made (my friend told me it cost around $500 Million to make), so with that kind of money, you could probably almost buy a separate island and shoot there.  I mean, James Cameron does well, and it is a pretty good movie, so I would recommend that you see it, but I believe that the reason that it is so crazy hyped right now is because it is a new thing that people haven't really experienced yet

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JoelTGM
@jakob187 said:
" You've seen this type of story done a ton of times before.  It's done well.  That's not why you go to see Avatar. "
That's what I was thinking... it's just my friends, and some movie reviewers, don't seem to be very down to earth with it at the moment.  I'm fine with popcorn flicks, but my friends tell me it's actually a very complicated and emotional story, which I find hard to believe.  Anyway, I'm going to rent it on blu-ray in the future, just wanted to know what to expect.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Babble

The story is cliched but it's well executed. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

say what you will about the story, but you guys aren't intelligent or clever for pointing out that its a bit "cliche" here and there and that it is similar to other movies in the past. like i said, that doesnt make you smart or clever at all.  
that being said,  
the story is pretty awesome, and the 3D is GREAT, and the effects are out of the world. its definitely a movie you have to see theaters on as big of a screen as you can.  

@DOUBLESHOCK

said: 

@jakob187 said: 

" You've seen this type of story done a ton of times before.  It's done well.  That's not why you go to see Avatar. "

That's what I was thinking... it's just my friends, and some movie reviewers, don't seem to be very down to earth with it at the moment.  I'm fine with popcorn flicks, but my friends tell me it's actually a very complicated and emotional story, which I find hard to believe.  Anyway, I'm going to rent it on blu-ray in the future, just wanted to know what to expect. "  

wait wait wait...you made this thread to see if you should get the blu-ray or not??? 
and the story is complicated (albeit predictable at times, doesn't take away from its complexities at all though, there is a lot to explore in the story here) and it IS DEFINITELY emotional. very emotional.  
don't wait for the blu-ray 
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Colonel_Cool

I'm the kind of person who waits to download movies instead of going to the theater, and even then I don't bother downloading most movies because they don't look like they're worth my time even though they're free. I saw Avatar in the theater (in 2D), and I thought it was well worth the money and the 2 1/2 hours. It's worth it for the visual experience alone. I don't think I've ever seen another movie that has CGI and real actors at the same time without the animated characters looking annoyingly out of place. The story of course isn't a piece of literary art, but is still very well done (I don't know who would expect high art from this kind of movie anyway). While it's a movie to sit back and enjoy, don't expect something as dull-minded as Transformers 2.

By the way, I've never seen a 3D movie. How is Avatar in 3D?

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheKidNixon
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @jakob187 said:
That's what I was thinking... it's just my friends, and some movie reviewers, don't seem to be very down to earth with it at the moment.  I'm fine with popcorn flicks, but my friends tell me it's actually a very complicated and emotional story, which I find hard to believe.  Anyway, I'm going to rent it on blu-ray in the future, just wanted to know what to expect. "
I think not seeing it in the theater (preferably IMAX) is depriving yourself. A lot of people are missing the point of what makes Avatar so remarkable: it is, for the first time in a long time, a reason to see the movie in the theatre. It is an amazing communal experience, with well done CGI visuals (something I honestly thought was a myth) and impressive depth of field in its use of 3D technics. Watching it in 2D or on a small screen will probably be an enjoyable experience, but not seeing it in the environment it was meant to be watched in is a real shame.
D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By D0tti

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was meh. Story was to simple, effects was nice but that was the only thing that impressed me by the movie. It's far from the greatest movie this year, than again I haven't seen any movie this year that can be put under that catagory.

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Titl

as a cinematical experience, it is definetly for real..but as a movie....meh...the story is seen 10000 times before, but the thing that makes this movie worth seeing is the usage of 3D, i found it to be revolutinary, compared to the other 3D-movies on the market..

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#25  Edited By JackiJinx

The graphics are awesome and the story does have it's moments, but it's not anything special. I laughed at quite a number of parts that I know James Cameron wouldn't want me to.  

"I see you" "I see you" 

And that bit with the dude on the horse the first time. That has to be bestiality, no doubt.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

I like the villain. I wish more of the mercs were like that dude. He shoulda had a crew of midbosses. He aint got time to breath.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Milkman

The story is lackluster, the effects are incredible.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EVO
@V said:

" it is the most expensive movie that has ever been made (my friend told me it cost around $500 Million to make) "

False. 

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World'd End is the most expensive at $300 million.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoelTGM
@TwoOneFive:  No I just wanted to hear some honest opinions from people.  I planned to get it on blu-ray already.  The IMAX theater is so far from here and I don't have any urge to go that far to see a movie right now.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By penguindust
@EVO:   Depending on when you ask, 1963's Cleopatra is right there at the top, too.  It was known as the film that broke a studio.  It cost $44 million in 1963, which according to Wikipedia, is roughly #314 million when adjusted for inflation.   That puts it right behind Pirates on the all-time list.   I remember when a 100 million was a lot.  Wow, times change.
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

The story is really simple, but the effects and the world are really cool and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I went into it thinking it would be pretty lame and made jokes to my girlfriend but it slowly, slowly immersed me.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Red

I actually just saw it in IMAX 3d. 

It was a good movie. The story, and characters weren't really anything new and it had quite a few plot holes, but it had some great action and special effects. 

It's nowhere near the best movie ever, but it was pretty good.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34  Edited By damnboyadvance

The story was a little simple, but it was told in a brilliant way that you just couldn't refuse to see. I loved it.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Matfei90
@Shadow said:
" I don't get what's wrong with you people.  It's a genuinely good movie and the fact that it's hyped out the ass doesn't negate that it's at least the third best movie of the year. "
I agree with this. While it was obvious to me that the story wasn't terribly special; I honestly didn't care - was having too much fun just being along for the ride.
nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By nywt
@armaan8014: I heard the same thing about the story, about it being Pocahontas or Fern Gully in Space, but both my buddy and I found it strangely compelling. After talking with another friend who saw the movie, I came to the conclusion that the impact of the graphics (specifically how realistic the main characters looked in CG) made me much more engrossed in the story presented. 
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghostiet

No, they're just putting Pieces of Eden instead of projectors.

muttjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By muttjones

I found the movie hilariously stupid. Up until the action figure looking bad guy army general started fighting while holding his breath i found the story to be generic and predictable. When he came in had about a half hour laughing fit with my friend at the crazy stupid bad ass things this general guy was doing. I was thinking to my self "Is James Cameron fucking serious?!?" Yet everyone took it in stride and only me and my friend found it so dumb to the point of it being funny when the walking robot he was steering (he wears gloves that control the robots arms) pulls out a big oversized knife and then has a knife battle with the Avatar. WTF!  I loved how hilariously bad it was. Its one of those films where its so bad  that its good. 

I urge you to see it.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mesklinite

At no point did I think there was CG. That in itself was amazing.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By super_machine

Yes its for real. I'm a huge Star wars geek (I own nearly every star wars comic published this decade, a proud collection), and I actually told my wife after when the Avatar credits were rolling that James Cameron is a better story teller/film maker than George Lucas. Blasphemy, but its true.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Expletive

I thought Avatar was fucking terrible, that everyone loves it so much amazes me.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By super_machine
@expletive said:
" I thought Avatar was fucking terrible, that everyone loves it so much amazes me. "
sorry, not every movie can live up to the Matrix Re-loaded.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dbz1995

Think Pocahontas done Cameron-style. 

This comment could be thought of in a sick way.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Expletive
@super_machine said:
" @expletive said:
" I thought Avatar was fucking terrible, that everyone loves it so much amazes me. "
sorry, not every movie can live up to the Matrix Re-loaded. "
What? 
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Expletive
@super_machine:  
I suppose that you are suggesting that because I didn't like Avatar, I must compare every movie I watch to Matrix-reloaded, which is universally known as a bad movie. 

Did you really love Avatar so much that when I stated my opinion of it you just had to attack my taste in movies? 
I wasn't saying that no one can like Avatar or that if you do you are stupid, just that I don't like it, and that it's popularity is surprising to me.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ryanwho
@expletive said:
" @super_machine said:
" @expletive said:
sorry, not every movie can live up to the Matrix Re-loaded. "
What?  "
I think he meant to say Saw. Not every movie can live up to Saw. Wiki edit history makes sniping easier.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Expletive
@ryanwho:  
lolz 
In my defense I don't actually like the Saw films, I just wanted some easy points and that page was empty.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By super_machine
@expletive said:
" @super_machine:  I suppose that you are suggesting that because I didn't like Avatar, I must compare every movie I watch to Matrix-reloaded, which is universally known as a bad movie.   Did you really love Avatar so much that when I stated my opinion of it you just had to attack my taste in movies? I wasn't saying that no one can like Avatar or that if you do you are stupid, just that I don't like it, and that it's popularity is surprising to me. "
Woah Woah, who said anything bad about the Matrix re-loaded?
Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people need to realize that movies/games/books don't need to have an absolutely mind-fucking story that's so twisted and unpredictable. They just need to be an experience that you can enjoy. And Avatar was most certainly an experience I enjoyed.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho
@SuperSecretAgenda said:
" I think people need to realize that movies/games/books don't need to have an absolutely mind-fucking story that's so twisted and unpredictable. They just need to be an experience that you can enjoy. And Avatar was most certainly an experience I enjoyed. "
I think a lot of people are bothered by the pretense. This is a very self serious story, and its also a joke of a story. And I guess that makes the movie easier to hate. But I mean, shit, Ed Wood was deadly serious and you can still enjoy his movies, even if its for reasons the director didn't intend.