• 54 results
Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I'm normally not one to talk about personal health and life maters on a public forum, but this morning (very early this morning) I had my wisdom teeth removed. As the doctor told me, this counts as a surgery, especially since I was sedated (and have come out of it for a while now and relaxing at home), I can't help but feel accomplished. As I'm now able to chalk this up as another life experience of sorts. If you've had surgery before, did you ever feel the same way or were your reactions different?

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dungbootle

Not exactly. It was just something to get out of the way for me. I'm also talking about wisdom teeth surgery btw.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kermoosh

no i didn't count it as a surgury.

plus i didn't get put to sleep i was awake (4 shots of anestesia) and was watching tv while feeling the cutting rhythm of my gums splitting open, lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kermoosh: I guess mine must have been a little different then, but my doctor did tell me that getting wisdom teeth out is a different case for everyone.

@dungbootle: I had been told for a while that I needed mine taken out, but all four of them never really bothered me, so why bother them? I had a painful Christmas break with gum infections due to shifting in my wisdom teeth and my dentist referred me to a surgeon that I visited and after talking with him, I decided to go on ahead and get them out. It's gonna take some time to recover, but I suffer from a lot of headaches and so-fourth, so this may get rid of nearly all of that. As well as sinus problems I've had my whole life.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By 49th

I had one of my wisdom teeth removed and it was nothing. Just got injected, the guy pulled out my tooth and then it hurt for a day after.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: I had four taken out. Mine had been fully grown and in there good for years now.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alternate

@MrPilkington said:

@49th: I had four taken out. Mine had been fully grown and in there good for years now.

So what happened that you needed them out? still got mine.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShaggE

My wisdom tooth removal was terrible. They had actually shattered in my mouth beforehand, so I was already in agony, and they had trouble pulling them out, so my jaw was throbbing for a week afterwards. If that wasn't enough, I ended up with a case of dry socket two days later.

Fuck teeth.

AoDfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AoDfan

All I got was shots to numb the pain, several shots. There was the initial 4 for each tooth, during the extractions I had at least 1 more for each one. They had to cut away the gum to get my lower wisdoms out, that lead to some stitches to close things up.

The procedure wasn't that bad, it was the couple weeks of healing that was the pain for me. I didn't pay a thing for it, so I guess its the old saying, "you get what you pay for".

But I'll say I had a similar feeling after getting my ankle screwed back together. I broke a bone, I broke it so bad it has to be screwed back on. I'm a manly man now.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I got my two bottom wisdom teeth removed and they also told me it counted as surgery. It was nice to get them removed since they were impacted.

Also I agree 100% with ShaggE, Fuck Teeth.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

Dude, fuck wisdom teeth. They hit me with novocaine before taking mine so there was no pain, but I wasn't sedated at all. The cracking/snapping noise that it made when they were extracted gives me nightmares to this day.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By panvixyl

I've had too much major surgery in my life for getting my wisdom teeth removed to register as more than a wave in the ocean.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate: As I said in a top post, I had some serious swelling and infectious gums over the holidays and was very sick for a while. I was told that it was time to get them removed, not just because of my illness, but for a multitude of reasons including sinuses and headaches that can be eased or cured by impacted wisdom teeth.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By haffy

I've had two operations on my elbow and wisdom teeth taken out.

Wisdom teeth were probably more painful and annoying, because I had to wait over the weekend to go back on Monday morning to get it done.

Operations I was just pretty nervous about. Nothing really happens, don't really feel any pain or anything.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kermoosh

@MrPilkington: yeah when i got mine out they were still in the gums and not visible yet. don't know if that makes any difference though

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TehPickle

I had one of mine removed about 3 weeks ago after about a month of max dosing ibuprofen / codiene.

It took the dentist nearly 2 hours (it was clearly happy where it was, in spite of the pain) and 5 or 6 shots of novocaine before it came out. I got the dreaded dry socket within a few days afterwards, so I had another good week of pain following it.

I have to echo

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By audiosnow

I had all four taken out at once, about a year and a half ago. It was fantastic! I was worried beforehand because I had seen my older sister right after she had hers removed, but not only did I dream during the procedure, I was alert enough to drive home immediately afterward.

The only issue was that I listened to other people's advice. Everyone said to avoid solid food for a couple of weeks, so I began doing so. Then I started developing that metallic tang, like I was biting down on tinfoil, so I scheduled my checkup early. The pain was only because two filled teeth, while shifting, had made contact, but while at the oral surgeon's office he told me that I could have been eating real food for the prior eight days.

And now I've an unopened bottle of Percocet in my medicine drawer... hmmm...

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By psylah

I still have all of mine (they are crooked, but don't hurt).

I had an oral surgery once, to remove an infected salivary gland. It was my first time having full sedation and I was surprised by how quickly it kicked in and how I woke up and we were finished.

I suggest sedation for most major procedures. Hell, I'd suggest sedation for your next haircut.

morningthief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By morningthief

getting all four removed next week (i'm 30). the surgeon asked me if i wanted to be conscious or sedated. I asked, "how badly does it hurt?".

he said, "i won't feel a thing."

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By rentfn

I never had surgery until this year. I went to a concert one night and my stomach started to hurt. We ate at a kinda sketchy place before the show so I thought it was food poisoning. I had trouble sleeping that night and the pain in my stomach kept hurting all day. When my wife got home I asked her if we should go to the hospital because it's not getting any better. We called her doctor and he said it sounds like your Appendix. We ended up going to the Emergency Room at 9pm and at 2:30am I was having my Appendix removed. This was a shock to me because I had never had to go the Hospital before. I had to stay over night for three days. It wasn't as bad as I heard Hospitals were.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I remember getting my wisdom teeth out. They gave me percocet. Shit gave me rashes and kept me up. I was pissed.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By FancySoapsMan

getting my wisdom teeth pulled out was a fun experience.

the anesthesia knocked me out in seconds, and then my mom went and bought me a milkshake while I was half asleep in the car.

then for the next couple of days I took some painkillers and played DS in my bed until I fell asleep.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TruthTellah

@MrPilkington: When they removed my wisdom teeth, they were horribly impacted and one had damaged a molar that I had to have pulled, as well. My recovery was very rough and took a few months; so, I definitely consider it a surgery. Though, if yours were taken out just fine before they were a serious problem, you should have a rather light recovery. Especially if you're young.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By OldGuy

I had my tonsils out when I was quite young as they thought then that that was the way to combat the yearly sick that I'd get (which shows how long ago it was - they know better now, taking 'em out doesn't prevent the run of the mill stuff kids get)... That was... Meh. They didn't even offer to let me take 'em home in a jar which I had heard was not an uncommon practice. BOO!

Got my top wisdom teeth out in 7th grade (cause they were going to push my molars right out of my jaw) and got to have the full knockout treatment (as they had to go digging deep for them). I really hated the salt water gargle you neede to do to help keep away infection for the next week.

The bottom wisdoms came out MUCH later and, since they were exposed, only required a local plus nitrous. Nitrous for that long is...weird... Didn't mind the salt water nearly as much that time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rentfn: I actually was in that scare last summer. To sum it up, I was pretty sure that my appendix was in the same condition after a long weekend of pain, but had an MRI done and it wasn't the case. I hope you are doing well and better now. I hear that is something that is common to happen to people around their 20's and 30's.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

So when I had my wisdom teeth taken out I was like, super super fat, and my veins were so bad that the nurse couldn't get an IV in, so the surgeon asked if I wanted to keep getting stuck, or just do it conscious. So they numbed me up, and the doc did it while I was wide awake. It's a weird thing, having someone yank your teeth out. It's tougher than you might think, dude was putting his feet up on the table to get the leverage he needed to yank my fucking teeth out, while I'm watching somewhat terrified (but not really, because I knew everything was going to be fine.) Anyway, good times.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I got one wisdom tooth out 2 years back because it grew a third root and it was curled which was giving m such bad headaches.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rentfn

@MrPilkington: Yeah I'm doing fine now. I was all healed in a month and a half. Yeah the doctor said after thirty the chances of the Appendix bursting goes way down. What was semi funny was I turned thirty two weeks before I went to the Hospital :)

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bennyboy

I believe all four of mine were impacted so I asked be put under. Post operation wasn't so bad. I think at the peak of my pain I was lying on my bed for about an hour kicking and cursing myself like a child. yeah i guess i'm kind of a pussy. My gums healed up completely after like 3 days though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By musubi

Haven't ever had dental surgery but I did have a pretty massive hernia at one point that I got surgery for. Man, you wanna talk about pain inguinal hernias fucking HURT.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I just had my wisdom teeth removed this morning too! Completely painless, even the novocaine shot wasn't as bad as people said it would be.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By BBAlpert

Make sure you keep ice on those cheeks. It makes a big difference.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By stonyman65

That sucks.

I have a wisdom tooth that is just barely broken through the gum and every few months it just randomly starts hurting like a bitch. Nothing I can do about it.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By pyromagnestir

I had all of my wisdom teeth removed. It mostly happened because my bottom teeth were crowded and the dentist was just like fuck it get them all out! You don't need 'em. I had a surgery, but I don't remember if I was put under. Which is weird. I probably was?

The only thing I remember about that day was afterwards standing over the sink letting blood drool out of my mouth because I was told not to spit. And there was a lot of blood.

I then had braces afterwards for a year or so, when I was 19-20, to help the crowding. That was not cool.

I do remember my knee surgery after a drunk driver smashed into my car. I made a point of remembering things because the anesthesiologist said you're not going to remember anything from here until you wake up. So I stayed alert for a while just to prove her wrong!

But I didn't feel like either was really an accomplishment. Just something that happened.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By canucks23

I got mine out a few years back. Apparently i had a much less traumatic experience afterwards than most people i've talked to, i had pretty much no bleeding or pain after the surgery, it was just an inconvenience to eating for a while.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I don't think they used enough anesthesia on me when I got my wisdom teeth removed. When I woke up I felt completely awake and aware (my friends who have had this done say they were really fucked up and disoriented when they awoke) but on my way to the pharmacy to pick up my Vicodin prescription the pain set in, and then the Vicodin did little to help. Those were a terrible few days :'(

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jadegl

I had all of mine removed at the same time about ten years ago. Two were impacted. Originally they thought it would take maybe 30 minutes but it ended up being an hour. They, for some reason I can't recall, sedated me with an IV. I think it was because I have a small mouth and it would make their job easier if I was fully under, but I honestly can't remember why they decided to do it that way. It was really funny because I remember them telling me to count backwards, and then I was sitting up with my teeth out about an hour later.

Other than that I had no issues and even though I know it was "oral surgery" it certainly didn't feel like a big deal at the time. I recovered super quick too.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By sparklykiss

@OldGuy said:

I had my tonsils out when I was quite young as they thought then that that was the way to combat the yearly sick that I'd get (which shows how long ago it was - they know better now, taking 'em out doesn't prevent the run of the mill stuff kids get)... That was... Meh. They didn't even offer to let me take 'em home in a jar which I had heard was not an uncommon practice. BOO!

Wait... They let you take them home? I was about 5-6 when my tonsils were removed and that was not an option. Also had them removed because of the same reasoning.

And lucky for me, my wisdom teeth and most all of my other back teeth grew in straight with no problems. My dentist said nothing was wrong with them at all and that if I wanted them removed to come back anytime and insisted I do so "just in case." I have a new dentist now.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OldGuy

@Sparklykiss said:

@OldGuy said:

Wait... They let you take them home? I was about 5-6 when my tonsils were removed and that was not an option. Also had them removed because of the same reasoning.

Hrmm... My understanding (granted, without any real proof to back it up) was that removing tonsils used to be almost routine but I thought it wasn't anymore (but I'm old, and can't be fussed to verify if it's true or not)... And, no, I have no idea if they really used to let you take 'em home, but my 6 (7?) year old brain thought they'd offer (again I don't know where I picked up the notion -- probably from TV or other kids...), but, alas, they didn't...

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By breadfan

I got my wisdom teeth out two or three years ago. It was the first time I had ever been sedated. Super weird feeling.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gkhan

My skull was sawed open when I was three months old, but the only memento of that I have is a wicked scar and a chronic inability to wear hats.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I had my wisdom teeth out on the 2nd of January. I had a surprisingly fast recovery, very little swelling. I just kept my face iced up constantly for the first couple days just in case. My mouth was a bit sore but I had been prescribed Vicodin, so it was alright. Got the stitches out a couple days ago, it was a much easier ordeal than I thought it would be.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Trainer_Red

My wisdom teeth are coming out and i'm scared to death. I'm not sure if I have it in me to get them removed.

I'm absolutely terrified of the dentists. Some shit happened when I was a kid and now when I go inside one I can't stop shaking and now that this is basically mouth surgery my fear is multiplied by x10000. I haven't been to a dentist in 10 years.

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Aterons

I got 2 wisdom teethes, they showed up on a radiography and the dentist told me they should come out in about 1 year... 4 years and counting so fuck those, i just assume they won't come out.

But i had 2 operations when i was about 9 where I was under complete anesthetic and didn't fell really "different" after them ;p

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Peanut

The only surgery I ever had was getting my wisdom teeth removed and it was fantastic. I remember sitting in the basement on the pullout couch for the entire day playing Driver 2 on the PS1.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By habster3

I got my wisdom teeth removed Christmas Break of 2011; I didn't really think much about it (other than how frustrated I felt about my limited diet, of course).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had my first wisdom teeth removed several years ago surgically. I remember trying to drink out of a soda can, but completely missing my mouth because it was completely numb. Other than that, I didn't really think anything of it.

The second time I got my wisdom teeth removed they just injected some anesthetic in my gums. I preferred this way because hearing them crack my teeth and rip them out of mouth way crazy, but mostly because they gave me a prescription for some pretty awesome pain pills.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aetheldod

Pffft ... that aint no surgery come back to me when you have 5 surgeries ..... When was 0 years old I had an hernia in the esophagus , then another because I had a bloted stmomach , then 2 ingunal hernias and to top it off at 7 years old I had heart surgey ... they removed part of my aorta because I had a congenital disease which was obstructing blood flow (dangerously I might add). So yeah your wisdom teeth removal is the small leagues my duders .

Only thing I remember is that I was sweeting a lot because of the oxygen mask and they took it off and have me those filters that they put in your nosetrills instead.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TyCobb

Had all four removed a few years ago as they were impacted and I was getting tightness in my neck. Took 5 months after getting them removed before that got back to normal.

I asked to be put under. Probably the best money I ever spent. I can't imagine being awake for the operation. You walk in, feels like 10 minutes later you walk out. Although everyone reacts differently when waking up -- I remember cursing at everyone in the office. They said I shouldn't smoke for a week and remember telling the lady "Fuck you, I'll smoke if I want." Then apparently I did a big 180 and started thanking everyone and was all loopy happy until the pain started to kick in. Recovery took about a week for me and then 3 months before food finally stopped getting lodged in sockets.

Only real issue was the pain medicine wasn't ready at the pharmacy yet and I had to wait like 15 minutes. I started to become really agitated and in a lot of pain. Almost broke down crying I was in so much pain and still feeling the affects of sedation. The coolest part was getting home and spitting huge pool of blood on the sidewalk. Didn't help that they cut the roof of my mouth and had to stitch it up.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By Hailinel

I had all four removed back when I was a senior in high school. They hadn't all fully grown in yet, but after my adventures with braces, I decided not to fuck around and just had the dentist take them all out. I received a constant stream of a nitrous/air mix the whole time, so I was awake and aware, but couldn't feel anything in my mouth. I could definitely hear the sounds, though. Sort of a *CRACK CRACK POP*. Then my gums were sewn up and I was sent on my merry way.

I then spent the rest of the weekend high on painkillers. Mom rented a random game for me to play while I recovered. Quest 64 is actually pretty awesome when you're too high to care.