The Moderators

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Bombs_Away

What is everyones opinion on them? There are some that I think do a stellar job, however on the other hand there are some that are on a bit of a power trip and some of their decisions are downright stupid. For instance, yesterday, somebody started an innocent thread asking some questions about Amazon, wanting to know how selling on it worked. I consider this perfectly acceptable for the off-topic forum. However the moderator, MB, told him to phone customer service and locked it. What is the point of having a community that can't ask each other for help. It's not ok to ask serious questions, yet when there is yet another thread about "Who's your favorite Actor?" or "Do you smoke?" these are allowed to stay. 

And at the same time as the Amazon question, JoeRiccadonna started a thread saying that America should go to war with Yemen, because there are Al-Qaeda members there and he believes his uncle got cancer from 9/11. This then sparked a thread of hatred, with insults being thrown left right and centre. Yet this thread is still open. The moderators hammer on about the rules but they are only put into place on the most stupid of occasions. 

I think that we, the community, need to have a more public say on how the moderators work. Whenever we have a problem with them, we are asked to email the community email, but this never leads to anything. There should be a regular vote, maybe monthly, on the moderators performance, how we the community feel they have done. This would then promote the moderators to try and be more considerate in their work and the best ones would be recognised. However, if the community feels there is a certain moderator that is just locking down every odd thing for kicks, they should be removed from their post. I feel this would unite the community together alot more and also lead to a better system.

What do you guys think?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

This isn't going to end well..........

Ninjakid7396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Ninjakid7396
@JJOR64 said:
" This isn't going to end well.......... "
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By chstupid

OH SHIT
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero

Being a mod is a SHITTY job. They are doing fine.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I think you have a fair point with some things you say. There does seem to be a lack of consistency at times, but overall... I think they do a perfectly good job.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I think there's only 3-4 that actually do their job.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bombs_Away
@JJOR64:@Ninjakid7396:@chstupid: Are people really that scared to question them? This is a serious topic that should be discussed.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stang

Want to know how the mods do what they do? Read the damn rules. Fuck up, pay the consequences.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By laticsfan
@Ninjakid7396 said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" This isn't going to end well.......... "
"
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJOR64
@Bombs_Away: Every time we have a thread of this nature, it usually just gets locked.

EDIT:  And I think the mods do an excellent job.  The mods here are probably the best I've seen.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Stang said:
" Want to know how the mods do what they do? Read the damn rules. Fuck up, pay the consequences. "
So you think asking about Amazon is wrong and should be banned, but inciting religious and xenophobic hatred is ok?
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bombs_Away
@JJOR64 said:
" @Bombs_Away: Every time we have a thread of this nature, it usually just gets locked. "
This is one of my points, shouldn't the community have more say in all of this? I'm not causing problems in any way, I am simply bringing an important issue to the fore.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Mushir

MB should lock this. Nobody fucks with MB.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

They haven't fucked up yet so that's good. They did become Moderators for a good reason you know (although one seems to have disappeared). It's a little tricky really to decide wheter or not a topic should be locked or not really. I can't really explain it but from what I've seen most of the locked threads deserved to be locked. Not all perhaps but it's not exactly a critical thread of sorts.

That said, just follow the rules and you'll be fine.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stang
@Bombs_Away: I am not is a position to critique their job. I am a member, not a moderator. They do not receive compensation for what they do, they do it because they care. Why would they close one thread and not another? I don't know, maybe the mod in question was having a bad day or they saw something of value in the left open thread that you do not see. If it is really bugging you, pm the mod in question and I am sure he will give you an appropriate response.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJOR64
@Twilight said:
" MB should lock this. Nobody fucks with MB. "
True that.   :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate the mods on any forum, their job is the worst.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

While I agree a lot of moderators are assholes on a power trip.  I rarely see it here, if ever, which is an extremely nice change.  However, there is one massive fanboy troll that never gets reprimanded which is annoying.

I remember you got one of your threads locked and were have a hissy fit about it.  Thus, probably the REAL point of you making this thread.  Not because of some "innocent" amazon thread you speak of.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By gingertastic_10

You probably should have just PMed MB, or the other mods, this. They're doing fine.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By chstupid
@Bombs_Away:
THEY CAN SEE YOU RUN RUN RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 71Ranchero
@Bombs_Away said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Bombs_Away: Every time we have a thread of this nature, it usually just gets locked. "
This is one of my points, shouldn't the community have more say in all of this? I'm not causing problems in any way, I am simply bringing an important issue to the fore. "
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Stang: I am not calling into question their role, they are very important to the community and many do great jobs, as I said. And, as i also said, when they are questioned, they give you an email address and leave it at that. Surely there should be more of a link between us and them so that we can tell them how they are doing. We should congratulate the ones who do their job, but we should also call into question those that we feel aren't upto the job. Do you see where I'm coming from?
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MeierTheRed
@TheMustacheHero said:
" I think there's only 3-4 that actually do their job. "
Pretty much this.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Alexander
@Stang: why would anyone expect them to receive compensation? They do it because they enjoy it. 

Members can have an opinion on how a site they are a member of is being run and moderated. That's not to say the OP is going about this the right way but your way of thinking is off.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bombs_Away
@handlas: How long ago was that closed? I spoke to the Mod privately and we dealed with it. If you think I'm lying about what I've said you can check for yourself, it is all true.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27  Edited By natetodamax
@TheMustacheHero said:
There's only 3-4 that do their job well.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fallen189

The only ones I've ever seen actively do stuff are MB, Kane and sometimes Matty. Some other positions seem a bit...needless. Oh, and Hamz.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By handlas
@Bombs_Away said:

" @handlas: How long ago was that closed? I spoke to the Mod privately and we dealed with it. If you think I'm lying about what I've said you can check for yourself, it is all true. "

alright I believe you.  Still, I can't imagine this thread ending well :(

Guess I shouldn't talk much tho.  I rarely ever start threads, personally.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bombs_Away
@natetodamax said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
There's only 3-4 that do their job well. "
And we should congratulate these 3-4 with regular feed back. However there are way more than 4 moderators, so shouldn't they be sorted out?
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Some mods seem a little lock happy, but most of them are doing fine. Matty is a great mod.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Bombs_Away: What do you propose then?
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stang
@Bombs_Away: I see where you are coming from. 

@Alexander:  I already said they do it because they care. Have a point somewhere in there that I did not previously make?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By natetodamax
@Bombs_Away said:
" For instance, yesterday, somebody started an innocent thread asking some questions about Amazon, wanting to know how selling on it worked. I consider this perfectly acceptable for the off-topic forum. However the moderator, MB, told him to phone customer service and locked it. What is the point of having a community that can't ask each other for help. It's not ok to ask serious questions, yet when there is yet another thread about "Who's your favorite Actor?" or "Do you smoke?" these are allowed to stay.   And at the same time as the Amazon question, JoeRiccadonna started a thread saying that America should go to war with Yemen, because there are Al-Qaeda members there and he believes his uncle got cancer from 9/11. This then sparked a thread of hatred, with insults being thrown left right and centre. Yet this thread is still open.
Right now this is the biggest problem.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bombs_Away
@eroticfishcake: I propose a regular feed back session, maybe in the form of a poll, where we say a job well done to those that do well. Vote for a favourite, give them something back for doing a good job. However we also voice our concerns, and if there is a moderator who consistently gets complaints then they should be replaced. Nothing malicious, just doing it to help maintain a high standard for this site.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#36  Edited By citizenkane

I will look into that Yemen thread for you guys.  While I am doing that, my fellow moderator comrades will speak their mind on this subject.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alexander
@Stang:  

"Why would anyone expect them to receive compensation?" (this is me saying this)

Compensation is a noun that usually describes something given to compensate for loss, suffering, or injury. If someone is enjoying something the idea that they would receive compensation for it is quite ridiculous. If by "because they care" you meant "because they enjoy it" then that sentence is a complete mess. If that's not what you meant then we're saying different things. In which case you need to revise 

"Have a point somewhere in there that I did not previously make?"

---

"I am not in a position to critique their job. I am a member, not a moderator."

What you are saying here is that we, as members, are not in a position to critique the actions of moderators. (unless you meant something else in which case revise this sentence because that's what it reads) I am saying we are in a position to critique moderators.

Differing opinions here I think you'll agree.    
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bombs_Away

i'm glad we're slowly getting into a serious discussion on this, not panicking like the first few posters. Hopefully we can get some good ideas going.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By EpicSteve

Topics on GiantBomb should be constructive. We try to stray away from discussions that are either ignorant, silly, or a waste of GiantBomb's space and potentially burying important topics. If someone is obviously uneducated on the matter, then we'll help them out. However, if a user is just making a lot of noise, prepare for a lock.

That Yemen topic should probably be locked though...holy crap!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scooper

Let them do whatever. As long as they don't unnessarsarily shit on SFIV threads that are productive I don't care what they do.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Karmum

They do what they do. I don't have an opinion on their work or criticize their locks because it's notmy business. The topics that get locked are locked for a reason.

I let them do what they're supposed to do and I keep myself away from their bad side. I think I've done pretty good so far, and I'm nearly two years in.

That's gotta be some kind of record for me.

A lot of you give them shit for how they do their job. Have you tried moderating a forum? It's painstakingly tedious.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Stang
@Alexander: Compensation means you get paid for doing a job also. You got to work, you get compensated. My point was that the mods here do this for free, because they love the site. It is not our job to tell them how to do their job. We have a rule set, follow them and everything will be fine. It is just my opinion that we should not question their judgment, in the past they have proven to be fair.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By AgentJ

I've said this before a few times. I think the mods here for the most part do a very good job when they are around, but often there is no one on to lock the spam threads as they show up. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Bombs_Away: Ah you mean a "Kudos" system of sorts that other forums seem to have (though they seem to be very detailed).
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By erinfizz

Really? You want to have a mod popularity contest every month? You think that an individual moderator's value to the site can best be summed up in a user poll? 

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bombs_Away
@eroticfishcake: Yeah, I mean I'm not that knowledgeable about how forums work, this is the only one ive ever used. My girlfriend is a moderator on another site though and she reckons it wouldn't be that hard to sort out.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By FrankCanada97

Did we not already have a mod efficiency discussion a few months ago?

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AgentofChaos

They have the right touch of leniency with some of the threads here.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bombs_Away
@erinfizz: I wouldn't call it a popularity contest, but feed back and concerns. eroticfishcake mentioned a 'Kudos' system might work. The fact remains that many users on this site feel that there are some lock-happy mods on here yet many would rather stay quiet cause they don't want to be kicked off. I just don't think that's how it should be. Giantbomb is unique and the best in much that it does, and we deserve it as a community to be able to have our say a bit more on how things run.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Bombs_Away: I can see where you're coming from but I don't think such a system will work. If the users start to favour a moderator more, eventually the forums will start to favour the users more in turn. As such, forums need Moderators that follow the rules and try to abstain from a biased opinion. Not sure if you understand what I mean.