Warning: Your Tattoo artist may leave without mention.

• 63 results
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bruce

I am fucking furious; let me explain why. Ok, so as most of you who follow my blog know, I am a big Tattoo enthusiast. Currently, I have a half-sleeve Phoenix/Floral piece of my right arm, an army style heart & ribbon to remember my father on my left arm, and a large Japanese Tiger/Clouds piece on my left leg. The two Japanese pieces were done by an artist at the acclaimed 'NYAdorned' studio, -- who shall remain nameless -- with locations in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The work these guys and girls do is incredible, and I'm more than happy with my stuff. HOWEVER, my Tiger piece is incomplete. 

Due to scheduling and massive demand, Tattoo Studios (Good ones at least) may be booked months in advance. For example, I consulted with my former artist in mid-July, and was not able to have the work started until mid-August. A one month wait, and that's getting off easy. So anyway, in mid-August, right before I started College, I had the Tiger piece started. When my former artist decided to stop because he wasn't going to finish that day, it looked great, for what it was. The color hadn't been done yet, but it looked like a serviceable black & grey piece. However, I am a fan of color-filled Tattoos: There is something about vibrancy that appeals to me more than ultra-realism. But that's just me.

ANYWAY, I call this morning to confirm my appointment for this Sunday to have my leg finished, -- started in August, finished in October, see what I'm talking about? -- and I find out that my former artist took off at random and went to another Tattoo studio, located god-knows-where in New York City. The assistant informed me that he "Informed all of his clients" of this and called/emailed all of them. I check my email and caller I.D. regularly; this guy didn't call me. 

So here I am with a huge dilema: NYAdorned wants my business, and wants to treat me well as a returning customer, so they've offered to have a new guy look at the work. However, the assistant at NYAdorned brought up the issue that I still owe my former artist money for the Tattoo, which complicates things. Technically, (The Tattoo was agreed upon at 600$, but ended up turning out way larger than that, that's why I liked this guy: I got a lot for my money) I still owe him 200$, having paid only 400$ prior. However, this guy fucking took off on me, did not contact on me, and where as I thought the work would be finished this Sunday, the 11th, it probably won't be able to be started until the fucking week of the 20th. Obviously, I'm worried about legal ramifications: Can this guy come after me for his 200$? Surely, the work on my leg is evident of a job 'unfinished', but it is a legit issue; I did technically agree to pay this man 600$, but what if he suddenly wants to pop-out from his space and charge me hourly? He claimed that his rate was 200$/hour and he spent roughly 3 on my leg, despite the agreed upon piece not being finished ... but, he did run off without contacting me or giving me an alternative to have the work finished, so FUCK HIM!

NYAdorned has set me up with a new artist, and his work looks good, but now I have to worry about what this guy is going to charge me to have this Tiger finished. Ugh, to make a long story somewhat shorter, make sure your Tattoo artist is going to stay with the studio he or she is at for a LONG time, then you won't have to get fucked over like this. -_- I mean, this guy didn't consider my business important enough to even contact me, and I have no idea how long I'd have to wait if I went through the channels to have this finished at his new studio. Not to mention, his new studio, is nowhere near me and the commute would be at least two and a half hours coming and going. Total ... bullshit. 

(Sorry, felt like ranting about this. Feel free to share your Tattoo horror stories as well)

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By GreggD
@Bruce:
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ververdan0226

That's life. And even though I don't see this guy as necessarily being in the wrong (I'm sure he has a huge clientel base) that really does suck and it was a little shitty of him. Point: shit happens, deal with it no matter how much it sucks.

Tattoo stories? Sorry, I don't defile my body.   :P

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bruce
@GreggD: 

You fail at doing that.

@ververdan0226:

No self-righteousness please >_> and when this much money and time is wrapped up in something, the generic and cliched as all hell comment of "SHIT HAPPENS, DEAL WITH IT" doesn't exactly do anything for me.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilTwin
@Bruce: I had no idea tattoos were so expensive.  Any chance you have or could take a picture of your unfinished tiger?
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bruce
@EvilTwin: 

I did, it's in one of my old blogs. I'll PM you the link if I can find it.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin
@Bruce: Great, thanks!
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ineedaname

I wouldn't pay, ask for his phone number, if they know he still wants your money they must be in contact with him, I'm sure an angry phone call would stop the $200 fee.

However it's a tough choice going with a new artist, if he fucked up or you didn't like his style, or they clashed, that's a big ouch.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bruce
@Ineedaname: 

They say that this guy is really good and his style is similar, but again, that's an issue as well. What if the new guy doesn't like the aesthetics the old guy used, and put in place? He might have to re-do the entire thing!
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ververdan0226
@Bruce: I'm not familiar with the art and intricacies of the tattoo process, but is it really that bad to have another competent professional finish up the work of another? If a good deal of it's already there, it doesn't seem like it would be that bad... But hey, sorry if I'm ignorant of tattooing.... it just doesn't interest me.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By swamplord666

that really sucks man :( i'd be partial to tracking him down and asking him nicely to finish it but thats just me :)
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bruce
@swamplord666: 

That was a thought, but then again, I looked at the address of the new place he's at, and (Mind you, I'm a seasoned vet. of the New York subway system) I have no fucking idea where the place is.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed

Wow that sucks, like really sucks. I know mine wouldn't leave without telling me, cause i have been with the same artist for many years now, and i have gotten to know him. 

But if he did, i would be fucking pissed off too.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ninjakiller
@ververdan0226 said:
" Tattoo stories? Sorry, I don't defile my body.   :P "
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bruce
@ninjakiller: 

No self-righteous comments please, don't care for them.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ververdan0226
@Bruce: Don't blame him, I made the self-righteous comment...
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ahriman22

That's a real dick move by him. I don't think he could come after you since he did not finish his job, why should you pay in full for half the product?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bruce
@ahriman22: 

I know ... this is such bullshit.

@ververdan0226:

I just don't want this to turn into an anti-tattoo thread, no hurtfulness intended.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ahriman22
@Bruce: Kind of reminds me of the time I was getting my fourth piercing. The guy had put in the needle, the phone rang and he went to answer it and then just left. I sat there for half an hour with a needle dangling in my ear, I didn't pay him.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By nanikore

Try whitepages.com?
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

What can you say except damn that sucks.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Adamantium

Look on the bright side. You got a $600 tat for 2/3 of the price, all you have to do is wait an extra ten days. Take the money and run. 

I doubt the guy will find you to charge you the $200, since he didn't contact you... but I guarantee if you track down the asshat he'll want the rest of the cash before he does any more work on you.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks 
But it kinda reminds me how much I want to go get a fuckload of tattoos  
Gotta wait till im 18 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bruce
@Adamantium: 

Actually, I may have to pay more for the new artist to finish it. This guy may have different rates and ways of charging; however, they may give me a break due to the situation.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By dbz1995

So can't anybody else do it? Or is it just that nobody else had his touch?

Avatar image for irradiatedturnip
IrradiatedTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IrradiatedTurnip

I have zero experience in the area, but it seems like a generally unpleasant situation.

I don't think the original guy will end up pursuing you for the money, though, if he didn't bother contacting you to begin with. I'd take what the new guy can give ya'. He'd probably listen if you asked him to stick to the theme of the original when colouring and finishing. You are his customer, after all.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ahriman22
@addictedtopinescent: You can't get a tattoo at 16 in the states?
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Sounds like fun.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Adamantium
@Bruce said:
" @Adamantium:   Actually, I may have to pay more for the new artist to finish it. This guy may have different rates and ways of charging; however, they may give me a break due to the situation. "
Yeah that'd suck. Just haggle with 'em and say you should get the same rate that the old guy wouldv'e charged you, and shouldn't have to reimburse him since neither the artist nor the studio he affiliated himself with took it upon themselves to contact a client with a scheduled appointment. He used their name to bring in his clients, so they can't just pass the buck to him since he left.

I can almost guarantee a studio with a reputation to protect would rather go out of their way to accommodate you than risk the backlash of negative publicity that situations like this can generate.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ahriman22: I live in Montreal, and also my parents are against tattoos
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bruce
@dbz1995:  My original guy was quite talented, and while no one at that place ISN'T, I'm not yet familiar with this new guy, so there is some worry about that.

@ahriman22: You have to be 18 with state I.D. in NYC at least.

@addictedtopinescent: Hope you have some cash ^_^
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#32  Edited By JackiJinx

I bet he took up a save the animals campaign and decided he did not want to depict tigers being portrayed in such a stereotypical light.

Or, you know, he's just a jerk.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ahriman22
@addictedtopinescent: Ah oui? Oh well, some people just don't get that it's joor body and you could artsy fartsy it up all you want.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bruce
@ahriman22:  I'm just happy I didn't put the money down for my full-sleeve with this guy like I had planned ... that would have been an absolute disaster.

@JackiJinx: Tigers are so lazy, just like Jews. I'm glad my Tiger is sitting on a rock, just as those lazy Tigers do ^_^
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bigandtasty

I thought this was about Rock Band at first.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By cinemandrew
@Bruce:  That's pretty damn lame. I wouldn't worry about him trying to sue you or anything. It'd probably cost him as much as you owe him in legal fees. Not to mention the fact that he never finished the job. 

I'd try to find the guy. It could have been an accident. It sounds like the guy was pretty talented, so maybe he's got a ton of clients, and he didn't do the best job of keeping track of which ones he did contact, and didn't.

I totally hear what you're saying about having someone else finish it. Even if he has a similar style, he's not the same dude, and it might turn out quite a bit different than the original artist. They are artists after all, not photocopiers. Hope it turns out good. I've known a few people who got crappy tattoos without thinking them through, so it sucks when someone who actually takes it serious ends up in a crappy situation like this.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By subject2change

He never finished the work, how can he come after you? You can track him down and finish it at his new place if he wants that 200 or wants to be cool about it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By eroticfishcake

Track 'im down and REMOVE HIS TATOOS!!! Seriously, tatoo artists are walking colouring books.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phlegms

Its too late now bruce, get that shit removed. Its your only option pretty much.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho

The lesson here is don't pay for the whole thing up front unless you're getting it. Its seedy what he did but you chose to give him the full payment even after he only finished half, that's your bad dude.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bruce
@ryanwho: 

I didn't give him the full; I gave him 2/3rds.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iam3green

dang that sucks man. i would say don't pay the people that u shouldn't have paid because u aren't happy with the experience that happened. i would call up and ask for the guy's number to track him down to continue the tattoo that he originally started. i wish that it would be closer to u. 

just kind of on the topic of tattoos.  my brother has his right arm sleeved with different things. they are all based on like 80s tattoos from a book. another person in my family has a tattoo of barbwire around his ankles. later when he got it done he found out that it meant he went to jail. he actually has never been to jail lol. 

i want a tattoo but i don't know what to get. i would only get them on my arm or somewhere less revealing that could not be seen when wearing a t-shirt.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Bruce said:

" @GreggD: 

You fail at doing that.

@ververdan0226:  No self-righteousness please >_> and when this much money and time is wrapped up in something, the generic and cliched as all hell comment of "SHIT HAPPENS, DEAL WITH IT" doesn't exactly do anything for me. "

dont ruin your body. and 
shit does happen 
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By weltal

I'd say don't pay this dude. He didn't finish the work he started and wants paid in full? Fuck that guy. Besides that point, I seriously doubt this guy is going to track you down, spend money on legal representation and take you to court for $200 and even after all that you more than likely are in the right here. He fail to meet his obligation and he shouldn't have been paid a damn thing. Who the hell thinks it's ok to start a Tattoo, leave it unfinished and then act like ANY payment is OK? Christ, you should sue HIM.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By crusader8463
@Bruce: That sucks. I always wanted to "defile" my body with a sleeve r some such thing but i change my mind so much on what things i like artistically i know i could never pick something i wouldn't hate a few months later. Plus I'm such a perfectionist that if even the slightest line was out of place it would drive me nuts. Plus as you mentioned in the OP. that shit is expensive!
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bruce
@iam3green: 

I'd get something on the upper arm, bicep. Easily concealable, easily shown if wanted.

@MasturbatingBear: 

I'm an adult, so I'll do what I wish, THANKS. ^_^
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iam3green

hey, i was just thinking of something. u should have had the artist do it all at the same time. so u would not get screwed like that. then the artist can say i'm tired of this come back some other time.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bruce
@iam3green: 

They rarely do that. Work is done in sessions. Full sleeves can't be completed in a day sir.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green
@Bruce said:
" @iam3green:   They rarely do that. Work is done in sessions. Full sleeves can't be completed in a day sir. "
yeah, i know about not doing sleeves but i'm just saying something along the lines of get something small so it can be done in like a few hours. 

can u post some of the tattoos that u have?