What are the best games that you’ve played this year?

• 56 results
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Tireyo

This is a list of my top 5 best games that I haven’t played until this year. These wonderful games have certainly made 2010 more bearable and fun for me! It feels great to be a gamer!

Playing this game can make you sexually healthy, if you know what I mean!!!
 Playing this game can make you sexually healthy, if you know what I mean!!!

-Please note that I do not have an XBOX360 or PS3, so all these games listed are Nintendo... 2 of them can both be Nintendo and PC.

5. Bejeweled 2 – This game is beautiful, addictive, and memorable. Bejeweled 2 is my most favorite puzzle game, next to Tetris. Like Tetris, it has great replayability, a nice soundtrack, and it’s just as addictive. There isn’t really too much more I can say about this game, but it’s actually good enough to be my 5th best game that I’ve played this year.

Is there a chicken inside?
 Is there a chicken inside?

4. Cave Story – This is a game that I didn’t think I would like. Well, I was wrong about that. I ended up loving it! As to why I love this game, I don’t know if it’s where the creator of this game put a lot of love into it, or if it’s where I have a certain love of the older way of gaming, or if it’s just where I so desperately needed to play a 2D side-scrolling adventure at the time when I played it. All I know is that this game is an overlooked masterpiece. There are a lot of people that don’t know of this game, and they desperately need to know about it if they like games that are similar to this. It just goes to show you that hard work can pay off if you do the work right, and great games don’t have to be expensive, or even cost anything at all. Cave Story is easily one of the best games that I’ve played all year.

A Mario face ship..... Oookkaaayy.
 A Mario face ship..... Oookkaaayy.

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 – It shouldn’t really be a shock as to why this game isn’t on the top of my list. Compared to the next two listed, it’s nowhere near the status of being as memorable or gratifying. Now don’t get me wrong, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a really fun and it’s great game, but as I said it before, I feel that there may not be much of a future for 3D Mario games after this. Growing up with playing Mario games and all, I can say that this isn’t my most favorite adventure of his at all; although, it is a very memorable and fun adventure that is definitely like no other. The game isn’t really as difficult or magical as I would like it to be, but it’s good enough to be a good Mario game that I can consider as a masterpiece. I really enjoyed playing this game during the summer, and it was well worth playing. The one thing I liked about this game compared to the last one are the boss fights and the quirkiness. Despite the flaws that Super Mario Galaxy 2 has, it has respectfully earned the number 3 spot of the top 5 games that I have played this year.

Finally! A reason provided as to why his precious banana stash is stolen!!  
 Finally! A reason provided as to why his precious banana stash is stolen!!  

2. Donkey Kong Country Returns – One of my most favorite franchises has been resurrected in this well made re-imagined sequel to the old Rare classics. Having grown up with loving the SNES classics of Donkey Kong Country, seeing Donkey Kong Country Returns in existence is really a gratifying treat that sends me back to my childhood. The environments, the wonderful design ideas, the old and new music (especially the old), and the quality of the boss fights and levels are things that have caught my utmost attention and interest. It’s automatically an instant classic that has left an impression on me, and it’s going to last for a very long time. It shouldn’t be too shocking if ya’ll were to see a theme from this game in one of my music blogs that I create every so often. = - P I really want to see a Donkey Kong Country Returns 2! Hearing the Sticker Brush Symphony, Kannon’s Claim, and Forest Interlude themes re-imagined would send me into orbit! Right now though, I can easily settle with the re-done Life in the Mines, Forest Frenzy, and Jungle Hijinx themes! Donkey Kong Country Returns easily gets my number 2 spot.

Wonder what it would be like if time really ended.
 Wonder what it would be like if time really ended.

1. Chrono Trigger DS – This extraordinary RPG is something that I’ve overlooked for years. I might not of liked the game when it first released considering that I was young then, but now that I’m older and more knowledgeable, Chrono Trigger has become one of my most favorite games! From the incredible soundtrack, retro graphics, outstanding game-play, and memorable story-line, it’s really not possible for me to dislike this game. I literally went to hell and back, and every place in between, looking for this game at a modest price of $20. I can say that the game to me is worth more than $20, but I’m more than glad that I got it at the price I did considering that I love bargains! What turned out to be seemingly boring turned out to be something quite extraordinary that was unfairly ignored on my part. For all these reasons, it is the reason why Chrono Trigger DS is the best game that I’ve played this year. I wouldn’t really mind trying out Chrono Cross for the Playstation, if I had a Playstation. I know that it may not be as good as Chrono Trigger, but from what I heard it’s supposed to be really, really good.  

*EDIT: Honorable mention: Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Thanks for reading and until next time (whenever that maybe), 

Tyler York (Tireyo643)
nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By nvmfst

Man, I still have to play the DS version. I still have a working cartridge of Chrono Trigger for SNES which I come back to once and awhile. Pretty sure I beat it about 3 times so far, but it never gets old. Chrono Cross is good, too. It feels a little different from the from Trigger, but it's still fun, though. I think Square's golden age sort of dropped off after their merger with Enix and the release of Final Fantasy X-2. 

P.S.: Cave Story's art is awesome. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

my favorite would probably be Mother 3.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

Valkyria Chronicles. Best game experience I have had in quite some time. 
The new Castlevania was a lot of fun, too. 
I also got a lot of enjoyment out of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Monster Hunter Tri, Mario Galaxy 2, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2, Metroid Other M, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mount and Blade Warband....

And more, its been a very good year.

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nvmfst
@FancySoapsMan: A simply amazing game. I don't think there has been a bad Mother game.
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7  Edited By dietmango

So far, my favorite games of this year have been Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and a bunch more. Some games like Resonance of Fate, Need for Speed: Shift, and Kirby's Epic Yarn could make it on my top games this year, but I've yet to finish them before 2010 is all said and done.

Also, I should play Cave Story. Don't know why I still haven't yet. I guess it's because there's still so much more games I want to play that I can't really decide where to start.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By subject2change

I finished Lord of the Rings The Two Towers on the PS2, A game save that i've had for about 8 years that I never finished.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Sambambo
  • Assasins Creed Brotherhood
  • Alan Wake
  • Enslaved
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Blur
  • Mass Effect 2
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Mass effect 2, assassin's creed brotherhood.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just rewatched the ending of Mass Effect 2. Got chills.  

So, yeah. That.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By deusdigit

Maybe my opinion will fluctuate but, i really enjoyed liked god of war 3 and perfect dark xbox live arcade edition. not much else this year...

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By abdo
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Sam & Max season 3.. 
Also just started playing the Witcher and am really loving it, besides for a few flaws.

Haven't been able to Assassins Creed yet though, Donkey Kong isn't out over here yet and we don't have Kirby until next year.  But I'm sure I'm going to love all of those.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By daiphyer

1. Mass Effect 2.
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Battlefield Bad Company 2
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Fifa 11
6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Splinter Cell Conviction
8. Crackdown 2

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tireyo
@Einherjan said:
 P.S.: Cave Story's art is awesome.  "
And the music too. = - P Moonsong and Geothermal are awesome themes. 

@asian_pride: Perhaps you haven't played Cave Story yet because it may have not of caught your interest right away unlike the several other newer games that you mentioned. It's free on PC, so you wouldn't have to buy it on WiiWare or DSiWare. (that is if you have a DSi = - P). You ought to look into it more. 

Also, I haven't completed Chrono Trigger, DKCR at 100%, or Super Mario Galaxy 2 at 100%, or Cave Story! I'm far enough into the games though to know which ones I like best. Considering that I've put up with a lot this year in college, it's definitely the reason why I haven't completed some games. Trust me, it's on my agenda to beat one of these games during the holiday season. = - P It can even be one that I haven't even completed over the summer, like Cave Story.
fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fullmetal5550

Here is a list of the best games I have played this year. 
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
4. The Witcher
5. Dragon Age Origins and Awakening 
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Mount And Blade
8. Alpha Protocol 
9. Fable III
10. Mafia II

GullumF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By GullumF

Mass Effect 2 
Red Dead Redemption 
Halo Reach 
Limbo 
Fable II 
Fable III 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phrosnite

Best games I've played this year (not best games of 2010):
1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Mass Effect 2 
3. Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising
4. Baldur's Gate 
5. Dragon Age Awakening
6. Beyond Good & Evil
7. Red Faction: Guerrilla
8. KotOR

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seesic

Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2 
 I still don't know how I feel about Fable 3

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Gargantuan

Dragon Age
Mass effect 2
Demon's Souls
Halo: Reach
Starcraft 2

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GeekDown

Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShockD

There were many great games this year, but only StarCraft 2 left me some special memories...

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nvmfst
@Tireyo643: Thanks for the links! I never really listened to the music before. This is really good. 

I suppose I should get with the theme of this post. 

1. Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening (Played collectively for around 100+ hours. Not done with either. Good portion of it is the load times. Haha.)
  2. Mass Effect 2 (So much better than the original gameplay-wise, but once again a marvelous story.)
  3. Assassin's Creed II (Hated the first one because I felt sort of aimless. Second one makes me feel like I have a purpose, and parkour is fun as hell.)
  4. The Witcher (Still haven't finished it, but it's great so far.)
  5. Risen (This may look like just another sub par European developed RPG, but looks would be deceiving. It's a beautifully atmospheric game with a wonderful story. Totally engrossing. It was a side project for the gusy working on the now mediocre Gothic series.)
  6. Epic Dungeon (It's an XBL Indie Game. It's amazing. I have never played a Rogue RPG (?) before, but it's pretty good. I think it only touches the surface of that genre, but it's good none-the-less. No story, but randomly generated dungeons and tons of loot make me happy. For 80 Points how can you go wrong!)
  7. Medal of Honor (I don't do multiplayer, but the single player is really good. Though heavily scripted, the "vignettes" featuring the different special forces adds so much; each with their own skill set. Though I haven't been interested in war games since Call of Duty 1-3, I think this game really makes it accessible. Sure it may gloss over the nitty gritty of war, the real bad guys get theres. Can we stop blowing up random towns in war games?)
  8. Silent Hill 1/2 (Amazing music, atmosphere, and story. Yes, I had to play with the lights on since I am not good with Survival Horror games.)
SpoonOnGuitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpoonOnGuitar

Hands down, Red Dead Redemption. 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By haggis

Mass Effect 2 is going to wind up my number one this year, with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood a nearby second. Fallout: New Vegas is a distant third. Those three games together probably represent about half of my console gaming hours this year. I still have yet to finish Final Fantasy XIII, which I started a few months back. Red Dead was an early option for game of the year, but started to bore me after a while. I never finished it. Same goes for Splinter Cell: Conviction, which lost me toward the end.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DeF
@Tireyo643:  quick note: chrono cross is a PSOne game, not PS2
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Highlights from games I've played this year: Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood, Lost Planet 1/2, Braid, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tireyo
@DeF: Thanks for catching that. It was really late when I wrote and submitted this. I'll fix it.  

@Einherjan: Very nice post, and good to hear that you liked the music!
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JJOR64

Played Titan Quest this year.  The game is great.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Entus

Mass Effect 2.
Assassin's creed 2. Didn't get bro-hood yet.
Spelunky.
Tilt to Live.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NathHaw
@dudeglove said:
"  Bayonetta was also a fantastic purchase. "
That game is pretty special in all the right ways.
Xiemos2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Xiemos2

Darksiders!

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#36  Edited By dietmango
@Tireyo643:  Holy crap, didn't know it was free on PC. :O I was going to buy it on WiiWare, but there's really no reason to do it now. Thanks for letting me know. :)
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WickedFather
Ratchet and Clank 2 - Controls beautifully and is just pure fun.  Better than anything I've played on the 360.

Fable 2 - It's sort of lovely in a great big daft way.  I love the women in it, they're all almost *almost* barmaids from Dracula films and there's hardly one that wouldn't marry you in a shot.

Fahrenheit - It's bloody frustrating in parts, especially that awful stealth bit but the crazy story really worked for me.  I just ignored the bloody Tron nonsense.

The Strong Bad Games - When you can't wait for the room to empty so you can try a cheeky impression of Bubz, Homestar Runner or Coach Z you know you've struck gold.

Bayonetta - Opening is fuckwow mad staggering excellence that had goosepimples on my arms and a crazy love for "Fly Me To the Moon" and you're not even playing, just watching a mood setting opening sequence.  Even though it's not my favourite game of the year it's definitely the best experience.  It made me realise that the gaming world hasn't turned completely hopeless and maybe in years to come I won't look back at the 360 as a horrible barren console with a game catalogue that's completely dead inside. 

As a comparison here's some of the things that didn't make top 5.  Ico, Limbo, Super Mario Galaxy 2, God of War 2, Arkham Asylum and Mass Effect 2.  Most hated game of the year was The Darkness.  Yes, maybe you did like it but it's not fun.  Not what a game should be.
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Deadly Premonition.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Red Dead Redemption 
God of War 3 
Super Meat Boy 
Amnesia 
Fallout New Vegas 
Super Street Fighter 4 
Just Cause 2 
Sly Collection  
Darksiders 
Deadly Premonition 
Torchlight
God of War Ghost of Sparta 
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker 
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep 
Assassins Creed Brotherhood 
World of Warcraft  
Limbo 
VVVVVV 
Poker Night at the Inventory 
World of Goo 
Mass Effect 2 
Alan Wake 
Enslaved 
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 
Kirby's Epic Yarn 

and a lot more, but im braindead right now.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Skytylz
@phrosnite: Finally got around to KOTOR?  I need to play that again, probably my favorite game of all time.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By YoThatLimp

Minecraft, Mass Effect 2 , Red Dead Redemption, Mount and Blade: Warbands 

<3

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dalai

Trying to think from the top of my head. Old and new. 

• Altitude
  • Bioshock
  • Darksiders
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • NBA Jam
  • No More Heroes 2
  • Peggle Deluxe
  • Portal
  • Shatter
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Meat Boy
  • VVVVVV

I need to finish some of those, but I've played enough to know they were all awesome.
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By phrosnite
@Skytylz: 
They are in best to worst order :) KotOR is a good game and in 2003 has been fantastic but I couldn't care less for Star Wars...
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DeF
@asian_pride said:
" @Tireyo643:  Holy crap, didn't know it was free on PC. :O I was going to buy it on WiiWare, but there's really no reason to do it now. Thanks for letting me know. :) "
are you by any chance talking about cave story? if yes then you should know that the WiiWare version of caves story contains more stuff and has gotten a total graphics/music overhaul!

just FYI :)
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Dragon Age is the best one I've played so far.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tireyo
@DeF said:
" @asian_pride said:
" @Tireyo643:  Holy crap, didn't know it was free on PC. :O I was going to buy it on WiiWare, but there's really no reason to do it now. Thanks for letting me know. :) "
are you by any chance talking about cave story? if yes then you should know that the WiiWare version of caves story contains more stuff and has gotten a total graphics/music overhaul!  just FYI :) "
He's (DeF) right about the WiiWare version of Cave Story! I got the WiiWare version myself. I was thinking that asian_pride might want to save some money by going that route of downloading it on PC.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Red Dead Redemption is probably the best thing I've played all year. DJ Hero 2 was pretty awesome, too.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Einherjan said:
  1. Risen (This may look like just another sub par European developed RPG, but looks would be deceiving. It's a beautifully atmospheric game with a wonderful story. Totally engrossing. It was a side project for the gusy working on the now mediocre Gothic series.)
The new gothic wasn't made by the same guys who worked on the first 3.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Red Dead Redemption, Minecraft, and Starcraft 2

I haven't gotten to Brotherhood yet though, so I think I will have to add that to the list as well.