What are the kind of games YOU purchase?

• 62 results
Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Klei

Topic says it all. What kind of games do you usually purchase? I, myself, am a sucker for any good Single-Player action/adventure/horror titles. If you can give me a good game that I can enjoy -on my own- then I'll be a happy gamer. I'm not too fond of those co-op only experiences, mainly because they tend to outright kill the atmosphere and vibe of an experience. I don't like when one player rushes in, fools around and proceeds towards goals while I'm just going with the flow. And yeah, even friends on the same couch can do that. Oddly enough, I found Gears 3 and RE5 much more fun to be played on my own, even though they were built for co-op.

So, what games could make me happy? Recent games like Uncharted, Max Payne, Castlevania, Alan Wake, Enslaved, Rage ( I liked it, yeah! ) God of War and so on. Even if most of them have relatively short (compared to long-ass games) campaigns, I can end up playing these games over and over for years to come. During those boring evenings, I can sit down, take one random action game off my shelf, spin the disc and have a blast. Even if I beat it five times already.

I know that a lot of people would mention games like Fallout and Skyrim, but strangely, these are the games that I find the less value in. These type of games never quite manage to hold my attention and if I play more than 30 hours of these superb western RPG's, that would end up being quite a feat. I recently acquired Xenoblades, because it was apparently the next coming of Christ for the JRPG's, but alas, after fifteen hours, I never touched it again.

So there it is, folks! I'm a minute-to-minute action junkie for my games. Which type of games will you spend your dough on?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

Only the games Jeff says are good, duh!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Ones that are on sale usually. Games recommended to me by friends. Personally I'm a sucker for good rpgs and shooters. I tend to avoid games I don't know anything about.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Phatmac

good games?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By huntad

Stealth games. I have all of the Metal Gear games, Splinter Cell games, Hitman, etc etc. I also have most of the Tom Clancy games. I like stealth and strategy.

I also like a lot of western and crpgs like the Fallout series, elder scrolls, mass effect, and a bunch of crpgs that will take a while to name.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Klei

@Phatmac said:

good games?

It's like if you asked me '' what do you want to do of your life '' and I'd answer, '' do something and then eventually but surely die ''. Ah!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Vinny_Says said:

Only the games Jeff says are good, duh!!

looks at name. looks at quote. Now I'm confused.

@Phatmac said:

good games?

truth

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#8  Edited By Eder

Friends and reviews are all good.

BUT back in the day I would just walk into a store, look at a box that looked kinda cool and would just go for it. I found lots of gems but also some bad games. Its the thrill of the unknown I guess.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

Well... a lot of different things, really. Pretty much anything that isn't a sports game or dating sim.

However, I'd say that a large percentage of what I play are first person shooters of some sort. I'm a sucker for anything that's in first person and has a gun. Good ones, bad ones, whatever - give me a good gun, workable controls, and some fuckers to shoot, and I'm good for a few playthroughs.

On a different note, find some better co-op friends. They don't all play like assholes.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I only buy games that will last me a while; the rest are rented as I finish games rather quickly.

If you mean the kinds of games I prefer: any that are not sports games, simulation games, racing games or games with a primarily co-op focus. From Catherine to Modern Warfare 3 to StarCraft II, I'm a fan of several kinds. My interest doesn't revolve around certain genres.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Philantrophy

I buy games I am familiar with, or games that are getting great reviews. That is how I bought Bioshock, and coming in blind to that game was amazing.

Avatar image for arcane_workshop
Arcane_Workshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Arcane_Workshop

My favorite types of games are online mmo style titles. But aside from those, I enjoy story centric games. Stuff like Mass Effect, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption, etc... sure those have good gameplay too, but I'm in it for the story.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@Irvandus said:

Ones that are on sale usually. Games recommended to me by friends. Personally I'm a sucker for good rpgs and shooters. I tend to avoid games I don't know anything about.

this, except sometimes I do get a game that i dont know anything about that people recommend to me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Adventure games like Uncharted or Alan Wake, those are my favourites. I also love unique games, that present new experiences, like Catherine and Deadly Premonition.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BaneFireLord

No sports, no hard core simulators and no JRPGS. Everything else is fair game.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Zippedbinders

I follow developers I like. Also games that try for a little something different. I'll take a unique but flawed game over a pristine and generic one.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#17  Edited By donutfever

I don't really have a favorite genre. I love any game with a good story/style that doesn't play terribly.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Hizang

I'm sillilar to Jeff in that I end up buying almost everything.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By habster3

Good games

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Portis

Arcade racing, kart racing, platformers, shooters with multiplayer that have a player count higher than 16.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sbaitso

I buy games when I think I will enjoy them, though I usually wait for a good sale.

kenharkey7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kenharkey7

Mostly indie games lately such as whatever is in the humble bundle (plus im broke). Adventure and RPG are also high on my list

Tokoname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tokoname

I usually do a fair amount of research on a game I might buy. I can't recall that last time I made a purchase and was disappointed... Very particular, I suppose. I lean toward RPG, action, adventure, and certain multiplayer genres like FPS or fighting.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InternetCrab

I love Bethesda works like TES and Fallout. (In short words, alot of single player action).

Adventure is also my kind of genre, I love the Uncharted series.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Joeyoe31

I'm a sucker for Survival Horror and beautiful art styles.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aetheldod

It is better the other way around .... I dont like sport/racing games , simulators (outside of space sims like Xwing) , dating sims , and exlusively multiplayer games (like Team Forterss 2) also the pet gathering ones (pokemon included ) .... outside of that everything is fair game , if they are good games tho :P

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

RPGs, third-person action and FPS's. Actually, I can't recall the last FPS I bought but in the 2000's I was really into them so I have quite a few in my game library. These days it's primarily just RPGs and third-person action games such as Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and Saints Row.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Giantstalker

Just about anything that's not a sport, casual, or indie game.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PixelPrinny

RPGs and fighters are the ones typically at the top of my list, but I'll get anything that grabs my attention regardless of genre.

Although I do tend to stay away from zombie games, cause I was sick of zombies 10 years ago.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Contrarian

At the very top of my list is SRPG (Final Fantasy Tactic type), along with most JRPG (Baten Kaitos type), preferably turn-based. Strategy games like Advance Wars or Civilisation/Age of Empires figures very highly as well. I should not forget top line racing games (Forza or GT). Kind of trails off after that.

What I don't buy ever is wrestling games. It is the only genre I won't touch. I don't care for shooters, especially FPS, mainly because they are boring and make me sick (motion). I am not into puzzlers in the slightest. However, I will usually try the top rated games in most genres, just to see if they "click" with me.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

Open-world games (Assassin's Creed, Saint's Row, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, etc). They're generally my favourite type of game and usually have a solid hour/dollar/entertainment value.

I'm also a huge sucker for four player, full campaign co-op and I'll typically buy them if they're any good and my buds all agree to buy it too.

(I also used to buy EA NHL every second year but I haven't really been into it the last few years, maybe next year)

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Jayzilla

i seldom buy games. i tend to buy a game and then play the heck out of it. Or sometimes go crazy on Steam.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By shiftymagician

Games that have amazing visual styles that I simply cannot ignore (Fez, El Shaddai and Child of Eden for example) are usually bought by me Day 1 or whenever I am able to find them (took me ages to come across a copy of El Shaddai).

After that, just games in any genre in general that I hear is good from various sources and tickle my interest at the time as I don't like to limit myself to just a few genres. So pretty much anything from racing to fighting, shooting to simulation, strategy to tactics. Literally anything so long as there's some entertainment to be had in it. If I see some content of the game and it turns out uninteresting to me then of course I'll pass on it unless it's on a sale low enough that I would consider buying it.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zeforgotten

All types of games. 

Remedy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Remedy25

I usually buy games that I know are from competent developers, and I try and watch the Quick Looks before making my mind, whether I wanna hand over my hard earned cash, or not. I don't have a particular genre of games that I immediately go for. It's good to try and bit of everything. But if I had to pick a genre, I think I'd go for RPGs. I'm a sucker for a good role playing game.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By triviaman09

Video Games

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jrinswand

I play all sorts of games, but I mostly stick to RPGs and action games. I've been on a big stealth game kick lately.

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By moffattron9000

I go for either games that build an emotional investment in like a Mass Effect or Bioshock, or a podcast game with great mechanics like Jetpack Joyride or MW3. Admittedly however there are outliers like Saints Row where the stories incredible but I can play for five hours and do two missions, or Dance central that you can't really listen to a podcast while playing (and for that matter has the story i'm looking for most this year, going back in time to solve dance crimes)

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Usually RPG. Ones with swords.

And games with flashy combo based combat and high amounts of blood.

:}

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a broad span of likes, mostly nowadays I soley purchase 360 and steam games. On steam I go for the point-and-click adventure, any crazy cheap, and action adventure game.

On 360, I go for puzzle/action-adventure/RPG/horror/Sci-fi/child <-- by this I mean I love all the lego games, banjoo kazooie, fairytale fights, disney universe etc..

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#41  Edited By BeachThunder

The more points a game has the more likely that I will be interested:

• Puzzles/problem solving = +3
  • Good visual design = +3
  • Sci-fi = +2
  • First person = +2
  • Interesting story/premise = +2
  • Interesting game mechanics = +1
  • Horror = +1
  • Good humour = +1
  • No concrete ending/unfinishable = -3
  • Generic/uninspired/derivative setting = -5
  • Multiplayer only = -15
  • Sports related = -15
Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Flawed_System

Single Player Action/Adventure/RPG

I'll play almost anything to be honest. Not a huge fan of puzzle games, platformers, football, tennis, ping pong, golf, baseball, and soccer games.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Klei

That is good. Keep em' going.

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hyperglide

I will buy any game that looks entertaining and I'm a fan of almost any genre. Most I grab when they are around $19.99-$29.99. Very few games I'll spend full price on. Sim/Arcade Racers, Action/Adventure, WRPGS, Sim/Strat games, Fighting, FPS, TPS, Rhythm games, some Puzzle games (like Portal), Platformers, some Sports (FIFA, Tennis and NHL games mostly)

Games I hardly ever play or buy. Point and click adventure games, Handhelds, most puzzle games, JRPGs (Lost Odyssey was the last one that really drew me in), most Sports (Madden, NBA, Golf, Baseball anything else not listed above.)

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

THE ONE THAT SAYS CALL OF DUTY AND THE ONE WITH THE FOOTBALL GUY.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By Little_Socrates

Games that are good, games that I want to support, and games that are not developed/published by Capcom.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By FancySoapsMan

mostly games that look like they have a solid single player campaign. 

I also like puzzle games. Last one I bought was Picross 3D. so good.

EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EleFlameMax

peice of the pixle im your missing part

DanteFaustEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DanteFaustEsq

I'll start by saying this three of my top games from the last handful of years have been Alan Wake, Bayonetta, and Neir. I'm willing to overlook a few mechanical snags if I find the narrative fascinating enough. On the other hand a mindless campy action adventure beatemup with clockwork precision controls also tickle my fancy. So mainly action adventures and RPG's with a select number of fighters thrown in.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By me3639

Im not genre, or a specific brand loyalist so whatever i am feeling at the time. My recent visit to the store i purchased Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, Singularity, and Dead Space 2 for my consoles, and have been playing Plants vs Zombies, and FEAR 3 on PC.