• 60 results
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SSValis

(Blogpost? possibly)I realize this is not the best place for this, but whatever. So in the last month things have gone horribly wrong and things are not going back to normal anytime soon. Thats really just the facts and now I have no choice but to deal with it. Not to go into detail, but you know sometimes you stay up at night thinking of the bad things that could happen. Well, basically thats what went down.

So I would like to know how you guys deal with things that seem unbearable. I mean longterm wise, not just  go eat some ice cream and play COD( this I've done). I'd also like to add that this site will always be very special to me. It has allowed me to be the immature little bastard that I truly am on the inside.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I drink heavily.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@SSValis:
well Forgetting Sarah Marshall helped me after a break-up...  however after i realised Mila Kunis reminded me of my ex i kinda just felt even more like shit
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

Honestly, after 13 years of being bullied constantly during school I developed the ability to just block things from my mind that make me feel bad and not think about them. Some time when it gets too bad it bubbles up and starts to overwhelm me a bit, but for the most part I'm able to just lock away bad thoughts and keep my mind distracted by always having something to read/watch/play. 

Lately I have taken to exercise, and I find that's also a great way to clear the mind. I will focus on some small little thing like walking down the road and back, or doing X lifts/squats, and by the time I'm done I tend to feel a bit better because I know that even with all the shit going on around me I still have control over my body and at the very least I'm making some aspect of my life better by doing that.

Other then that, the only other thing I have to help is time. As time goes on worries get replaced by new ones.
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By htr10

you have to try to shake things up as best you can.  do things that you wouldn't otherwise do (within reason).  make a goal of finding something in which to absorb yourself and occupy your mind until your head gets straight.  focus your energies inward on yourself as best you can and take strength in the fact that the world can get better around you if you give it the chance.
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Agent47
@ajamafalous: You know judging from your Krogan avatar sporting a top hat and a monocle I would of expected a wittier response. Maybe you are just thinking of it?
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Well, listen to your avatar. 

Buy the ticket, take the ride. The greatest strength of Hunter S. Thompson was his ability to find the humor in even the shittiest of situation. 
So I say read "The Great Shark Hunt" for some inspirational cheer.
Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rattle618

I don't really get down much, and I've had to handle some really heavy shit the last couple of years... but other than trying to occupy yourself with things that are important to you and you can get better at, just be aware of the way you feel and remember that life is about shit and how you deal with it.

A friend of mine says "at least something is happening to you, experience it as much as you can."
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm

Sleep.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mesklinite

Whatever is bringing you down, picture it as a black and white picture. Then, think of something that made you happy in your life. Maybe getting legos when you were 4. Think about this, and remember this in color. What ever memory made you happy, picture that in color. If you think of what brings you down, make an effort to picture it in black and white. That is all!

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By IBurningStar

Whatever the problem is you face it head on. Do your best to accept it. That is much easier said than done, I know. Try not to dwell on all the bad ways things can play out. If you know what the most likely outcome is then prepare yourself for it. Accept it. Live with it. Just find some strength somewhere and hold your head high. Things will be better someday. Until then, here is some positive music.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Go for a jog/walk

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By theodacourt

Acceptance is the final stage of any depressive state really so you should try to make your way there as soon as you can within reason. The way I force myself into acceptance is to constantly remind myself that what's done can't be changed, history is set, and spending time wishing otherwise is futile and only extends grief. Distractions are very good to prevent yourself being overwhelmed but you need to think about the problem regularly until you feel it becoming overwhelming, then distract yourself again to rebuild your armour. After that it's just time.

Avatar image for juggalodarkcarnival
JuggaloDarkCarnival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yo wheneva i feel down i liek 2 throw on summadat wickick shit nomesayin sum icp nd twiztid shit dawg

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I tend to put on some sad or angry music. It also helps to talk to other people, I know it sounds like a Hallmark card crock of shit cliche but it really helps.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Getz

Masturbate, and smoke weed. 

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kishan6

Smoke Weed

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bio595

I find that doing exercise does improve my mood afterwards, but during it just clears my head of all but what is making me upset

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Enigma777
@ajamafalous said:
" I drink heavily. "
@Napalm said:
" Sleep. "
@Getz said:
" Masturbate, and smoke weed.  "
All at the same time!
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By habster3

Don't know how to help you, dude; I can't even cope with being down

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

i usually do something that makes me happy. i enjoy eating some tacobell, i'll go and eat tacobell. it usually makes me happy. i also lay around. a lot of times things don't piss me off or get me down.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster

I play games and eat junk food. That seems to make things better.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47

All you need is fap.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikethekilla

listen to music 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Take a breather and enjoy stuff on Giant Bomb.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Portis

Getting some fresh air always helps me personally, whether it be going for a cruise in my Car or just going down the beach, sitting down and just watching the waves and scenery.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By craigbo180

I realize I am a man and go outside to spit and chop wood.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Distractions.

Go out with friends, have unprotected sex with lots of strangers, play games you missed, read that book you always wanted to, cook a grand dinner, get a make over (barber and a new shirt, fuck the rest), help out around the house/do some trivial things, learn more about a certain subject (history? Art?) or watch a series you love front to back.

In other words: Keep yourself busy, it'll take your mind of the load.
I'm a very bitter and depressed person for a few days every month (lady issues aside) and that's what I mostly do to keep going.

Oh and the best thing, make someone happy.
Buy that special someone, be they friend or lover, something grand or do something fun, their smiles will fill your heart with hope.

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spudtastic

......May be a cop-out, but I've conceded to this reality, and usually just take an Excedrin or two (contains caffiene)

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By phish09

Just listen to this.  Watching Jerry always puts a smile on my face.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By sparklykiss

Last time I was that fed up, I ran away to Chicago for a few days.

Came back and while things improved in some ways, it got worse in others. But overall, I'm happier. Maybe you just need a little break from your everyday norm?
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FritzDude

Play video games. Or rage online helps too.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GioVANNI

I watch old episode of Monty Python.
Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mahonay

When I'm feeling especially shitty I either:

- Play a lot of videogames, probably while drinking
- Go out drinking with friends
- Watch a ton of streaming Netflix
- Catch up on Giantbomb videos
- Sleep

I would say masturbate but come on, that's a given.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36  Edited By natetodamax
@Getz
@kishan6
Smoke Weed
Huh, it seems my high school math class has found their way onto Giant Bomb!
Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mahonay
@natetodamax said:

" @Getz

@kishan6
Smoke Weed
Huh, it seems my high school math class has found their way onto Giant Bomb! "
DUDE.  It's 420, man.  You should be high right now.  In fact I'm etching 420 into this desk as I speak.  I'll throw in an anarchy symbol while I'm at it.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrPockets000

Honestly, I drink.  And now I'm an alcoholic.  

Lately I've tried working out, listening to some of my favorite/happiest/most nostalgic music, or just talking with friends.  It helps.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By swamplord666

sorry dude, I have a hard time with that one too :/ i guess and look forward to something and think of the positives eve if its just learning from our mistakes or the situation.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I write!

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mahonay
@DrPockets000 said:

" Lately I've tried working out, listening to some of my favorite/happiest/most nostalgic music, or just talking with friends.  It helps. "

Being around people would be my number one suggestion.  When you leave yourself to your own devices things can get bad quickly.  Coming from someone who's pretty self deprecating, isolating yourself can be about the worst thing you can do.  Even if I'm feeling like complete shit, one good night out with my friends will completely turn things around for me mentally.  Closing the blinds and crawling into a hole often feels like the most comfortable thing to do but shoving yourself out the door does wonders.
Mister_Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mister_Penguin
@Mahonay said:
" @DrPockets000 said:

" Lately I've tried working out, listening to some of my favorite/happiest/most nostalgic music, or just talking with friends.  It helps. "

Being around people would be my number one suggestion.  When you leave yourself to your own devices things can get bad quickly.  Coming from someone who's pretty self deprecating, isolating yourself can be about the worst thing you can do.  Even if I'm feeling like complete shit, one good night out with my friends will completely turn things around for me mentally.  Closing the blinds and crawling into a hole often feels like the most comfortable thing to do but shoving yourself out the door does wonders. "
This. So much this.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DrPockets000
@Mahonay said:
" @DrPockets000 said:

Being around people would be my number one suggestion.  When you leave yourself to your own devices things can get bad quickly.  Coming from someone who's pretty self deprecating, isolating yourself can be about the worst thing you can do.  Even if I'm feeling like complete shit, one good night out with my friends will completely turn things around for me mentally.  Closing the blinds and crawling into a hole often feels like the most comfortable thing to do but shoving yourself out the door does wonders. "
Let me support this support of my original comment, and say it straight: my network of friends is my NUMBER ONE source of healing.  
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By AhmadMetallic

im always feeling down.. i havent felt genuinely content and happy since i was 13. i just got used to this soul shattering sorrow always occupying my chest and im feeling down 24/7

some of the posts on this thread are real sad ;(
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kishan6
@Mahonay said:
" @natetodamax said:

" @Getz

@kishan6
Smoke Weed
Huh, it seems my high school math class has found their way onto Giant Bomb! "
DUDE.  It's 420, man.  You should be high right now.  In fact I'm etching 420 into this desk as I speak.  I'll throw in an anarchy symbol while I'm at it. "
DUDE.  Im going to make a joke about potheads and how they suck, in response to their honest answers to the topic question!  You know  what? I'm not even gunna finish off the post with my own answer all I'm going to do is make fun of weed smokers just for the hell of it.
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Mighty

Exercise.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Picard

Have a nice hot cup of Earl Grey tea and contemplate the end of the world.

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By JJGIANT
@habster3:
@SSValis: I suffered with mild depression for years. I found it difficult to sleep every night, laying in bed over thinking things. My mind would go a million miles an hour worrying about everything I could think off. Things have really improved since then, due to a few tweaks in my lifestyle.

I got into a good sleeping pattern, now this is key. At first I could not fall asleep unless I was completely shattered so I usually went to sleep about 3-5 am every night. This is so not healthy. Sleep is the key to a clear mind. When your anxious you don't think systematically/logically. A good night sleep can literally change everything because the thing is anxiety and worry are always constructs of your mind, they are very rarely logical or real. I started taking sleeping tablets and going to bed at 12-1 am. This took a while but slowly and surely I started to feel naturally tired around this time. I then slowly took myself off the tablets. Now it was the case that I had gotten a few weeks of great sleep. My mind was clearing, I was thinking in a more positive way and was generally happier.

The next tip to dealing with anxiety is to talk to people. This the most important thing!!!! I am incredibly lucky because my mum is an occupational therapist. She is used to dealing with severe cases of depression (i.e. suicidal) Just talking to her about my anxiety and my worries I was able to untangle my mind and get a valuable perspective from someone else. Now you may not be as fortunate as I am in terms of someone to talk to but there will always be someone who will want to help.

This is a final minor tip but I find getting outside and getting fresh air can turn your day around, especially when your feeling down. There were times where I literally would not leave my room for a week and just play video games. This is such a bad thing to do. Start slowly if your anxious about getting out there and doing things, I sure as hell was but gradually being outside became normal too me and staying inside/ feeling down felt satisfyingly abnormal.

Anyone out there in a rut PM me for a chat. I really like helping people in this situation because I know how much it sucks.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By artofwar420

Accept you're "down-ness" and weather it out. Sober. It helps me understand what I'm going through better and at the end of my sad period I come out with a knowledge about myself that I didn't have before. I feel improved as a woman, if that makes sense.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Example1013

Personally, I punch babies in the face. But I hear that doesn't work for everybody.