Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By Shadow
Diamond said:
It's always bothered me to think of a time when I no longer can experience anything ever again.  Just a ... [more]

By that logic, then even if we are in a simulation of some sort, our real selves outside will still die..................and then be used as food for those still living in the simulation.......unless we get taken over by an agent, in which case it's kind of still a mistery even after the trilogy ended.  Anyway, the thing that makes you yourself is that you are not other people.  You are your brain, and that's pretty much all there is too it.  Even if everyone was an exact copy of everyone else, they would still be individuals.  It just doesn't seem that way because we aren't in direct control of the inner workings of our bodies.  I can't suddenly decided to stop my heart, liver, digestive system, etc and asside from keeping me from going insane, that makes it seem like there's a sort of disconnect between body and mind.  I believe that this disconnect coupled with the desire to not stop existing is what lead to the idea of an afterlife where your (nonexistant by the way) soul goes off......somewhere to live eternally.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By Diamond
Shadow said:
Diamond said: It's always bothered me to think of a time when I no longer can experience anything ever again.  ... [more]
If we are just the sum of our parts, then what's the point?  What does life itself get out of it?  What's the benefit of self awareness biologically?  I guess the theory is the experience was randomly created by the complexities of the brain.  Why should we be built up as the only thing that actually cares?  It's so odd that a physical program for self preservation would fall together and then build so much complexity.  Why does the universe sustain life at all, and if amino acids fell together because of some aspect of the universe that we don't yet understand, that's even more suspicious.  The logic behind cause and effect and reason is very beneficial to life, and it makes us think everything has to have a purpose, but why should the entire universe be just a bunch of stuff that happens, only to be observed by the only things that would try to assign some sort of purpose (life)?

Obviously it'll be impossible to separate what I'm programmed to think from what truly pure logic would be, but even in what feels to be my most purely rational moments I still find the whole situation inexplicable.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By luce
Diamond said:
Shadow said: Diamond said: It's always bothered me to think of a time when I no longer can experience anything ... [more]
you think too much! jk
Mr_Bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Mr_Bump

When your brain dies you cease to exist. All gone. It's no bother; I was dead for 20-odd billion years before I was born and that didn't overly fuss me, so I can't imagine it'll be any different the other way. All the other metaphysical bullshit is just that - BS. You don't continue on past the death of your brain - you aren't some 'soul' that is seperate from your physical body and you aren't a beautiful and unique snowflake. You'll just be worm food. And you won't care. At all.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

heaven or hell

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Shadow

Life is nothing more than a repeating process that begins with birth and ends with death.  Somewhere in the middle there is procreation, which leads to starting the whole process over again.  There is no real meaning to it, and when it's over, it's over.  That's not to say that there isn't some sort of creator of it all.  It might be true that life happened on Earth spontaneously and from there, multiplied and grew into what it is today.  For all we know, it might also be true that something conciously created us.  For what purpose?  Who knows.  Maybe entertainment, maybe something more spiritual.  I'm not saying this is exactly how it is, but if there is a creator to all this, think of his/her/whatever situation as a super-advanced version of the Sims.  We are created by some being, do stuff not in direct control of that being, while still being influenced, and then die at some point.  However, when I'm playing the sims and some guy in it dies from starvation after he pees himself in a room with no doors (heheh), that "person" does not suddenly get transported out of the game to live alongside me for eternity.  Just like this weird, admittedly flawed example, and where religion gets it wrong (among other things), is that when we die, we aren't teleported into some other plane of existance to live eternally alongside our creator.  We die with our brain because in basic terms, that is us.  If you want proof, just look at brain damage victims and the mentally hadicapped.  These people have conditions which arise from their brain's makeup being altered in a way that modifies their thought processes.  If there truly was a soul, their personalities would not change as long as they are still alive regardless of how otherwise damaged their brain becomes.  In that same train of thought, if there was a soul, which version of that personality would then be given eternal life?  The real answer, as depressing as it may be, is that when it's all over, what we percieve to be our conciousness just ends.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Shadow
jakob187 said:
Nothing happens. You're worm food...or ashes spread at sea...or whatever the fuck you decide.Sucks to know that, right?
worm food?  Depends on how cheap the people buying your coffin are.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm depressed.

TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By TheGamerFix

I believe I'll be reincarnated as a french baguette in a waistcoat with buttons for eyes and little shoes like mr. potatohead. and I'll be called Marvin. Lovely little character I'll be. :)

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By subject2change

I think whoever has to go through my PC after I die better stay out of those certain folders or just delete em without looking, that's what I think happens.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Shadow
get2sammyb said:
I'm depressed.

Then my job is done.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
Nothing happens. You're worm food...or ashes spread at sea...or whatever the fuck you decide.Sucks to know that, right?
I want my ashes to be spread like Donny's were in the Big Lebowski.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#113  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm not sure. What I cling onto is reincarnation. That when we die our soul is placed into the next body. Not sure how it's decided. Either way, we of course have no memorization of the previous life. How, then, are new souls made in an ever-expanding world? What is a soul?

So many questions. So little time. Packing my bags and going to Japan. They know everything, especially body-to-body massages.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ahriman22

You die, you brain dies and you stop thinking, you therefore stop existing, you decompose and you are forgotten within 10 years.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Stang

You decompose, helping plants grow.....like corn. The corn ripens, the farmer picks it. He ships it to the store, you buy it. You are hungry, so you eat the corn.

You die --------> You get eaten

That concludes today's class.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#116  Edited By EpicSteve

If you were bad you're forced to play Too Human on a black & white CRT for all eternity.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#117  Edited By cinemandrew
Vlademir said:
What do you think happens when you die? I personally don't believe in religion but find it hard to comprehend ... [more]
I was gonna make some silly joke here, but now I have to say that I really like that idea. I'm not religious, and I don't believe in reincarnation, but I really like the imagery. It just sort of makes sense. Weird. But anyway, I might have to steal your idea and claim it for my own. =P
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Gmanall

Heaven or Hell. Simple

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#119  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Gmanall said:
Heaven or Hell. Simple
if you say so
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Gmanall
ZombieHunterOG said:
Gmanall said: Heaven or Hell. Simple if you say so [more]
And I do say so.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Gmanall said:
ZombieHunterOG said: Gmanall said: Heaven or Hell. Simple if you say so [more] And I do say so. [more]
Ya well Jesus told me you were a liar and there was no heaven and hell ^.^
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By toowalrus

You re-spawn are run towards the energy sword. Hopefully you won't get shot in the back this time...

Seraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Seraphim

maybe we all live in quantum universes where we never die as individuals; just everybody around us...we die in everyone else's worlds at different times, but never in our own world.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Gmanall
ZombieHunterOG said:
Gmanall said: ZombieHunterOG said: Gmanall said: Heaven or Hell. Simple if you say so [more] And I do say so. ... [more]
If he said I was a lair he would not be able to say I was a liar there for you are a crazy man.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Gmanall said:
ZombieHunterOG said: Gmanall said: ZombieHunterOG said: Gmanall said: Heaven or Hell. Simple if you say so [more] And I do ... [more]
A cRazy man with a gun DONT MESS WITH ME ! 
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Gmanall

Run he will kill us all. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By _Phara0h_
EndlessMike said:
HoNgKoNgPh0oEy said: "Its like a dream but for the rest of  your life and you think your in real life ... [more]
Wow we have a Scientologist  here????
i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By i69edUrGpa

Well I'm not sure what happens when I die but I know that when other people die I tend to have the habit of digging them up and making sweet, passionate love to their cold, soggy cadaver with only the moonlight shining upon us to assist me in finding all the right womanly spots.