#1  Edited By PJ
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Mark Hamill.  Loved him in the cartoon as a kid.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

don't get me wrong. Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson were both fantastic Jokers. Mark Hamill though, he gets everything right. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Heath Ledger. 

Hamill's Joker never killed anyone on BTAS, as far as I can remember.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By PJ

While I think Heath Ledger was absolutly amazing as the Joker in The Dark Knight I can't help but fall back on Mark Hamil's Joker since hes done it so well for so many years and he was great in Arkham Asylym

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" Heath Ledger.   Hamill's Joker never killed anyone on BTAS, as far as I can remember. "
You seem to be arguing the script the actors have to work with more than the acting itself, which isn't really what this poll is supposed to be about. It asks which actor is the best Joker. So whether a Joker killed someone or not is irrelevant. 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@PJ: I remember the movie mask of the phantasm for the batman animated series, the joker killed a few ppl and he was a hitman in the early days for the mob according to that story. He even killed a few mob bosses in that movie, he definetly killed ppl.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Undeadpool

I think Jack Nicholson's Joker was very...eh. It was like Jack Nicholson AS The Joker rather than just The Joker (though Jackieboy's been pulling that stunt since 1980 anyway).

Ledger knocked it out of the park and maybe if we could've had a few more movies with him, it would've been different but Hamil gets it just for so perfectly pulling off the goofy-yet-psychopathic vibe that any great Joker needs.

@Delta_Ass:

I don't understand what that has to do with Mark Hamil's performance. Also: yes he did. Many people. Hell you can watch Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and see him kill people.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By teptom

It's gotta be Mark Hamill. He's the first person I think of when someone mentions the Joker.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By delta_ass
@AgentJ said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
" Heath Ledger.   Hamill's Joker never killed anyone on BTAS, as far as I can remember. "
You seem to be arguing the script the actors have to work with more than the acting itself, which isn't really what this poll is supposed to be about. It asks which actor is the best Joker. So whether a Joker killed someone or not is irrelevant.  "
I find the conduct of the Joker to be relevant.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By delta_ass
@Undeadpool said:
I don't understand what that has to do with Mark Hamil's performance. Also: yes he did. Many people. Hell you can watch Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and see him kill people.
"
I specifically said BTAS. Last time I checked, BB wasn't BTAS.
PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PJ
@AgentJ said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
You seem to be arguing the script the actors have to work with more than the acting itself, which isn't really what this poll is supposed to be about. It asks which actor is the best Joker. So whether a Joker killed someone or not is irrelevant.  "
Exactly, this is about who delivers the best performance of the Joker. The Joker as been everything from a deranged lunitic killer to just a comic character so all the Jokers that are acted are still the Joker. Him being a killer or not doesn't make one of them less of a real Joker.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#13  Edited By citizenkane

Heath Ledger without a doubt.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PJ
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @PJ: I remember the movie mask of the phantasm for the batman animated series, the joker killed a few ppl and he was a hitman in the early days for the mob according to that story. He even killed a few mob bosses in that movie, he definetly killed ppl. "
Yeah.... I think you replied to the wrong person
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By delta_ass
@PJ said:
 Him being a killer or not doesn't make one of them less of a real Joker. "
Yes it does. That's like saying "Superman being able to fly or not doesn't one of them less of a real Superman."
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" @Undeadpool said:
"
I specifically said BTAS. Last time I checked, BB wasn't BTAS. "
The two were quite linked, and Mark reprised his role for that series (as did batman and another of the other characters) so i'd say it counts
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By delta_ass
@AgentJ said:

The two were quite linked, and Mark reprised his role for that series (as did batman and another of the other characters) so i'd say it counts "

No, I say it doesn't count. And since we're talking about my post where I stated "Hamill's Joker never killed anyone on BTAS, as far as I can remember," I think my word takes precedence.

Plus, I hated BB and never watched it.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By JoelTGM

I never watched batman, only read the comics, but all I know is the joker played by heath ledger was too serious, and I prefer a real "joker" that isn't so dark.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Delta_Ass: I should of replied to you, yes he did kill someone, he killed alot of ppl in the mask of the phatasm movie, you are wrong about the joker. Also everytime you see ppl with a smile in that cartoon that looks like the joker due to the joker laughing gas, it's just a friendly way to show he killed someone. He killed alot of ppl btw.

You said you don't watch the series and stuff, then what do you know? How can you accept what i'm telling you is correct?
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not willing to crown a "best". At all.

The Joker's awesomeness has always been contingent on the awesomeness of his respective Batman. Ledger's Joker fit the grim, murky world of Nolan's Batman just as Hamill's Joker fit the cartoony (literal and figurative), self-aware Batman of the Animated Series.  

On that note, however, I am willing to concede that there are Jokers less convincing in their world than others. Nicholson's Joker, for instance, is sort of anachronistic in the Neo-Gothic tone of Tim Burton's Batman. I don't buy him. I don't buy his intelligence, nor his motives, I definitely don't buy his backstory. Because, honestly, the scary thing about Joker is lack of backstory.   

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Undeadpool
@Delta_Ass:

It's more like saying George Reeve couldn't fly, so he's a crappy Superman.

You might be right and I can't recall an episode where he kills anyone, but that's more a function of the limitations placed on the show by censors and I personally think it's all the more amazing that Mark Hamil was able to overcome those limitations and perform like he did.

I will say this: that thing with the pencil in the Dark Knight was one of the most badass things I've ever seen on film.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By sjschmidt93

The only difference between Ledger and Hammill is Hammill didn't have to do any acting.  

His voice is fucking great though.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By delta_ass
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Delta_Ass: I should of replied to you, yes he did kill someone, he killed alot of ppl in the mask of the phatasm movie, you are wrong about the joker. Also everytime you see ppl with a smile in that cartoon that looks like the joker due to the joker laughing gas, it's just a friendly way to show he killed someone. He killed alot of ppl btw. "

Again, that's a movie. I'm simply talking about Batman TAS here, which was the animated series. 

I never got the impression he killed anyone with that joker laughing gas.

And I own all 3 seasons of BTAS, so I know what I'm talking about. Not watching Batman Beyond... well, what can I say? The concept was stupid, Terry McGinnis sounds like the name of some Dawson's Creek guest star... it was an awful idea that never should've aired.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" @AgentJ said:

The two were quite linked, and Mark reprised his role for that series (as did batman and another of the other characters) so i'd say it counts "

No, I say it doesn't count. And since we're talking about my post where I stated "Hamill's Joker never killed anyone on BTAS, as far as I can remember," I think my word takes precedence.  Plus, I hated BB and never watched it. "
Wait, you "Hated it" but never watched it? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  
And in reality, we are talking about Mark Hamills Joker, not about your post. Beyond Joker (and technically Arkham Asylum Joker) are included in that. Because technically, a good fourth of what you remember as Batman the Animated Series wasn't that at all. It was the Batman/Superman Adventures (i've got the whole series on DVD). So you can either count everything or count nothing. 
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Black_Rose

Nicholson

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PJ
@Delta_Ass said:
Plus, I hated BB and never watched it. "
Then how can you hate it if you never watched it? Batman Beyond is a sequal to Batman TAS so its the same Joker in both those series. And the shows/movies I added for each name is just so ppl know what joker they have done.
PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" @PJ said:
 Him being a killer or not doesn't make one of them less of a real Joker. "
Yes it does. That's like saying "Superman being able to fly or not doesn't one of them less of a real Superman." "
So what your saying is that the Joker in The Animated Series isn't the real Joker. You do know that yout talking about the most loved Batman seris in the history of Batman?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Delta_Ass: there is four seasons of batman the animated series I think. Second of all Terry McGinnis even though it's a spoiler, on an JLA episode, he was the clone or bruce wayne and he found out and wanted to quit being batman. His dad's reproductive dna was overwritten by technology during a flu shot and that's why he has the same eye color as bruce wayne and hair color unlike his parents in that t.v show which is red color. He also have half the dna from his mother, he's not a full clone of bruce wayne.

Still the mask of the phatasm is still the same animators and writers of the animated series. The joker can kill in the movies at least. He did kill someone and that's still part of the series.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By delta_ass

Well, technically, I saw some parts of it while flipping through the channels and was aware of the show itself and what it was about. However, I disliked it so I never sought it out. It's like saying I hate... American Idol but never watching it. Or Pokemon. Or some other shitty show. It's the same thing. Yes, you may watch some small part of it to get a handle of what it's about, but nonetheless, you hate it and would not wish to continue watching. Now does that explain it? Am I communicating to you what I mean?

I'm counting what I know of Hamill's work as the animated Joker, which would be the first 3 seasons of BTAS. 

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By PowerSerj

Best living Joker: Jack Nicholson

Best dead Joker: Cesar Romero

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By delta_ass
@PJ said:

So what your saying is that the Joker in The Animated Series isn't the real Joker. You do know that yout talking about the most loved Batman seris in the history of Batman? "

Doesn't matter. If we were to strictly go by BTAS as far as what's real and what's not, we'd be stuck with a Batman with a Jay Leno chin and a 7 foot wide chest. Do we really want that?

And yes, any Joker who doesn't kill isn't the real Joker to me. Maybe to you. But not to me.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgentJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" @PJ said:

So what your saying is that the Joker in The Animated Series isn't the real Joker. You do know that yout talking about the most loved Batman seris in the history of Batman? "

Doesn't matter. If we were to strictly go by BTAS as far as what's real and what's not, we'd be stuck with a Batman with a Jay Leno chin and a 7 foot wide chest. Do we really want that?  And yes, any Joker who doesn't kill isn't the real Joker to me. Maybe to you. But not to me. "
Someone already said that the cartoon joker did indeed kill. He made a good point that any time he used that laughing gas he was killing. 
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By delta_ass
@AgentJ said:
Someone already said that the cartoon joker did indeed kill. He made a good point that any time he used that laughing gas he was killing.  "

I always got the impression that the laughing gas was knocking people unconscious, not killing them.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Batman arkham asylum was written by paul dini and featured the cast of the animated series, not all of them look so exagerated and it was a style at the time, it saves money for animation. You can see batman now is more realistic and so is the joker, that's what I think batman is like today and for that game, the joker killed alot of ppl. It might not be the animated series, however that joker is still more realistic than heath ledger which I find humorless. Joker is someone who likes to set traps for batman and is a joker, not just a killer.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By RHCPfan24

Heath Ledger had the best, most riveting performance of the Joker from a cinematic standpoint. However, Mark Hamill has been very consistent and excellent with his work so he gets a lot of credit. Jack Nicholson also had a very memorable performance with a lot of humor. It's hard to rate three great actors like that.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PJ
@Delta_Ass:  The question is Who is the Best Joker and when it comes to Mark Hamil his Joker is from Batman TAS(and the movies based on the show), The New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Batman: New Times, The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest, Justice League, Arkham Asylum, Superman TAS and Batman: Vengence.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By lordofultima

Jack Nicholson IMO, I'm not an animated series fan.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AgentJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" @AgentJ said:
Someone already said that the cartoon joker did indeed kill. He made a good point that any time he used that laughing gas he was killing.  "
 I always got the impression that the laughing gas was knocking people unconscious, not killing them. "
Yeah, because they had to make it look like that was what was happening. This was a show that was supposed to be safe for kids after all. Since when has Jokers laughing gas only knocked people out? I'm almost positive that he never got a recurring character with his gas
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By delta_ass

Personally, I thought Heath Ledger was closer to the Killing Joke Joker, which I really liked. Remember in the Killing Joke, when Joker shot Barbara Gordon in the spine and took photos of her? I couldn't possibly picture Mark Hamill's Joker doing that.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By delta_ass
@AgentJ said:
Yeah, because they had to make it look like that was what was happening. This was a show that was supposed to be safe for kids after all. Since when has Jokers laughing gas only knocked people out? I'm almost positive that he never got a recurring character with his gas "
You said it. The sanitized it for the kids. *shrug*

I guess that's why I disliked it.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Undeadpool
@SJSchmidt93:
He did plenty of acting. Just cause you can't see a voiceactor act, doesn't mean they aren't. Watch some behind the scenes video on any cartoon worth a damn and you'll see the actors aren't just frozen and reading lines in funny voices.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I remember in an interview i've heard or maybe it was a dvd commentary, bruce timm, the character designer of batman the animated series said joker was really killing ppl with that joker gas. It's how they can work around the censors, they all died, you don't see them move afterwards.

I still think with mark hamill's voice and heath ledger's acting, a bit of his appearance and maybe arkham asylum's joker appearance, you would have the perfect joker.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AgentJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" @AgentJ said:
Yeah, because they had to make it look like that was what was happening. This was a show that was supposed to be safe for kids after all. Since when has Jokers laughing gas only knocked people out? I'm almost positive that he never got a recurring character with his gas "
You said it. The sanitized it for the kids. *shrug*  I guess that's why I disliked it. "
Wow, they barely did stuff like that at all. Really the gore and blood was the only thing removed. If you have to have explicit violence to enjoy the Joker, there is no helping you. 
PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" Personally, I thought Heath Ledger was closer to the Killing Joke Joker, which I really liked. Remember in the Killing Joke, when Joker shot Barbara Gordon in the spine and took photos of her? I couldn't possibly picture Mark Hamill's Joker doing that. "
Yeah, the Joker in TAS just tried to kill everyone in Gotham City several times.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By delta_ass
@PJ said:
Yeah, the Joker in TAS just tried to kill everyone in Gotham City several times. "

If it makes you feel any better, I thought Hamill was better then Nicholson.
PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PJ
@AgentJ said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
" @AgentJ said:
You said it. The sanitized it for the kids. *shrug*  I guess that's why I disliked it. "
Wow, they barely did stuff like that at all. Really the gore and blood was the only thing removed. If you have to have explicit violence to enjoy the Joker, there is no helping you.  "
Exactly, Paul Dini has said that Batman The Animated Series is a show for adults but it just happens to have kids in the audience and thats why they removed the gore.
PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PJ
@Delta_Ass said:
" @PJ said:
Yeah, the Joker in TAS just tried to kill everyone in Gotham City several times. "
 If it makes you feel any better, I thought Hamill was better then Nicholson. "
Name one Joker that wasn't better then Nicholsons Joker.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By delta_ass
@PJ said:

Name one Joker that wasn't better then Nicholsons Joker. "

Cesar "Too-fucking-lame-to-shave-my-ugly-mustache" Romero, duh.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By bonbolapti

Hamill all the way. 

In terms of this thread.... waht's going on?

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#50  Edited By Valames

Mark Hamil for me IS Joker. The voice is so iconic with the character. I have probably heard is voice as the Joker's for hundreds of hours over the years and it will always seem right. Every time I hear another person playing the Joker role, I always hope they will be "like" Hamil's. I mean it all boils down to him having the best Joker laugh.