• 127 results
DirtyTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DirtyTime
Why is there such resistance to teaching intelligent design in the public schools?

There are a number of scientists who are uncovering support for intelligent design. There is a growing list of rational top scientists who, whether or not they believe in God, are willing to admit the compelling evidence of an intelligent designer. Yet, those who oppose teaching intelligent design either dismiss evidence that supports it, or incorrectly claim that evolution and the big bang have airtight proof, and are therefore absolute. As the debate over teaching intelligent design in public schools continues, some questions will be answered. Will all possible explanations be considered, or only those that don't offend someone? Will the separation of church and state be warped to promote atheism, or upheld to defend an open and honest system of education?
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vaxadrin

Nobody claims that evolution is "airtight proof".  They teach it as a theory, which means it is a hypothesis generated from observation that can be proven wrong at a later time.  Find me a single science text that says evolution is 100% correct and there's no other possibilities.  This completely goes against the scientific method.

Intelligent design, however, is damage control from creationists.  I would be interested in reading some of the theories by these top scientists.  Could you provide a few links?

DirtyTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DirtyTime
Sweep said:
Comment removed.
You have such an open mind.......
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xruntime

Evolution is not atheism.

Deism - The belief that God exists but is not involved in the world. It maintains that God created all things and set the universe in motion and is no longer involved in its operation.

DirtyTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DirtyTime

Guessing 90% of people here are atheist .

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By roofy

i find the points you are making are vaild. its like listening to a debate with only one side to it.
niether has been proven correct or been disproven so i dont see why they shoulnt teach both.
it would give people a wider and more open minded view of life.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vaxadrin

There's more schools of thought than Christianity & Atheism.  Don't be so closed minded. :)

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By roofy
Sweep said:
Comment removed.
if you dont want to have an intelligent discussion, as we can tell from your first post, then just leave this thread so the grown ups can
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By TheJollyRajah
Vaxadrin said:
"There's more schools of thought than Christianity & Atheism.  Don't be so closed minded. :)"
But he never mentioned either of them.

To your question, DirtyTime, I do believe that both ideas should be taught. Not a specific religion, but the idea of intelligent design, and if the world had a creator, or creators; however  you want to look at it.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vaxadrin
TheJollyRajah said:
But he never mentioned either of them.
Yes but it was heavily implied by, upon seeing that people disagreed with him, labelling the forum 90% atheist.
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By oraknabo

Creationism isn't founded on science. You could call it "intuition", but it's certainly not a theory in the same sense that evolution is a theory.
What it really is is public relations. Creationism is simply a political wedge issue that fundamentalist Christians use to bolster the "us against them" mentality and attempt to paint themselves as a persecuted minority in America.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jayge_
DirtyTime said:
"Why is there such resistance to teaching intelligent design in the public schools?

There are a number of scientists who are uncovering support for intelligent design. There is a growing list of rational top scientists who, whether or not they believe in God, are willing to admit the compelling evidence of an intelligent designer. Yet, those who oppose teaching intelligent design either dismiss evidence that supports it, or incorrectly claim that evolution and the big bang have airtight proof, and are therefore absolute. As the debate over teaching intelligent design in public schools continues, some questions will be answered. Will all possible explanations be considered, or only those that don't offend someone? Will the separation of church and state be warped to promote atheism, or upheld to defend an open and honest system of education?"
Intelligent design, as much as it would like to be, is not a scientific theory. It's a religious credo adapted to generic terms so that it could be passed off in a more non-offensive way. Teaching intelligent design is fine- just not in Science class. Also, care to show me who these well-reputed scientists are? I'm fairly unaware of a growing "god made this shit, yo!" movement among them.

I won't go so far as to claim Big Bang and Evolution are airtight. Evolution exists, that's for sure; but we don't know enough about it to truly understand it.

A large concern for proponents of banning ID from schools is that the religious Right (mainly Catholicism) would use that as a shoe-horn to advocate more strongly for a bible-study class (just, you know, to study the bible. Nothing religious there!). The thing is, many people go to Sunday School, to afterschool programs, to Church, etc. They hear enough about the concept of "intelligent design" there. There is no need to teach it in schools, as those who weren't raised with the concept likely wouldn't bother viewing it as a "legitimate" argument/theory. There would be no doubt that religious factions would clash verbally over exactly what to teach, too. There are too many variations, minute differences, and inconsistencies between different faith's interpretations. You can't sanitize something so varied. It never works.
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oraknabo
Jayge said:
Also, care to show me who these well-reputed scientists are? I'm fairly unaware of a growing "god made this shit, yo!" movement among them.

Everyone interested in this issue should check out a documentary called A Flock of Dodos. It's by an evolutionary biologist that interviews a bunch of "creation scientists" and he's pretty open minded about it, but finds very little support for their arguments. He also shows how the scientific community aren't helping themselves much in their fight against ID by being a bunch of jerks when arguing against it.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne

Oh, Intelligent Design should be taugh alright. Definatly so. But not in Biology class. Biology is a natural science, and Creationism has nothing to do with natural sciences, it's religion.

I don't know, do you have a "religion" class in the US? In Germany, Neo-Darwinism and other theories on evolution are taught in "Biology", whereas different religions, thoughts on beliefs and things like Intelligent Design are talked about in "Religion". This way everyone is happy.

Except ignorant, uninformed people like DirtyTime who didn't pay attention. These people are just lost.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jayge_

I'm fine with people believing in it- I'm not going to tell them they're bad people just because I happen to disagree. I just don't think it has a place in schools, especially given its potential for gigantic controversies that nobody needs to spend public funding talking about.

BionicIguana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BionicIguana
Meowayne said:
"Oh, Intelligent Design should be taugh alright. Definatly so. But not in Biology class. Biology is a natural science, and Creationism has nothing to do with natural sciences, it's religion."
Exactly, you can cite whatever "scientists" you want to support ID but at the end of the day there isn't empirical evidence for it therefore it has no place in a science class.  Personally I don't think religion classes have any place in schools, that stuff has nothing to do with education and should be taught at home or at church if that's what an individual family believes in.
Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Iffy350
Sweep said:
Comment removed.
I am sorry but thats pretty much topic/
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DualReaver
DirtyTime said:
"Guessing 90% of people here are atheist ."
I'm agnostic but dude you are just being a total idiot about this, and probably are nothing more than a troll.

Religion is a personal belief not a school lesson. Why would we teach Intelligent Design? There is no facts behind it basically everything comes down to "God did it."
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By roofy
Jayge said:
"DirtyTime said:
"Why is there such resistance to teaching intelligent design in the public schools?

There are a number of scientists who are uncovering support for intelligent design. There is a growing list of rational top scientists who, whether or not they believe in God, are willing to admit the compelling evidence of an intelligent designer. Yet, those who oppose teaching intelligent design either dismiss evidence that supports it, or incorrectly claim that evolution and the big bang have airtight proof, and are therefore absolute. As the debate over teaching intelligent design in public schools continues, some questions will be answered. Will all possible explanations be considered, or only those that don't offend someone? Will the separation of church and state be warped to promote atheism, or upheld to defend an open and honest system of education?"
Intelligent design, as much as it would like to be, is not a scientific theory. It's a religious credo adapted to generic terms so that it could be passed off in a more non-offensive way. Teaching intelligent design is fine- just not in Science class. Also, care to show me who these well-reputed scientists are? I'm fairly unaware of a growing "god made this shit, yo!" movement among them.

I won't go so far as to claim Big Bang and Evolution are airtight. Evolution exists, that's for sure; but we don't know enough about it to truly understand it.

A large concern for proponents of banning ID from schools is that the religious Right (mainly Catholicism) would use that as a shoe-horn to advocate more strongly for a bible-study class (just, you know, to study the bible. Nothing religious there!). The thing is, many people go to Sunday School, to afterschool programs, to Church, etc. They hear enough about the concept of "intelligent design" there. There is no need to teach it in schools, as those who weren't raised with the concept likely wouldn't bother viewing it as a "legitimate" argument/theory. There would be no doubt that religious factions would clash verbally over exactly what to teach, too. There are too many variations, minute differences, and inconsistencies between different faith's interpretations. You can't sanitize something so varied. It never works."
your point are vaild and make sense that even if they were to teach it that many different religions/ faiths would argue what to teach but to totally ignore it as a theory is wrong in my opinion.

even scientists that have no faith/religion have arguments with the evolution theory.

"The Evolutionary model says that it is not necessary to assume the existence of anything, besides matter and energy, to produce life. That proposition is unscientific. We know perfectly well that if you leave matter to itself, it does not organize itself - in spite of all the efforts in recent years to prove that it does." - Dr. Wilder-Smith (former evolutionist)

im not saying that either is right or wrong but that it shouldn't be dismissed because of the faith of the person it comes from.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By sweep  Moderator
roofy said:
"Sweep said:
Comment removed.
if you dont want to have an intelligent discussion, as we can tell from your first post, then just leave this thread so the grown ups can"
Wow im sorry for tarnishing your "intellignet discussion". Debating the creation of the universe is merely a shouting contest, as no-one is going to listen or change their mind as a result of what anyone else says.None of you have real proof, only superstitions and assumptions. And trrying to prove your "intelligence" by being overly articulate is also pointless. I dont know where Dirtytime is getting his facts from but quoting "Some scientists" doesnt really sound very convincing. The reason for my anger was that I found it very hypocritical of someone calling me closed minded when he himself is clearly not interested in any alternative explanation.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vaxadrin
roofy said:
"your point are vaild and make sense that even if they were to teach it that many different religions/ faiths would argue what to teach but to totally ignore it as a theory is wrong in my opinion.

even scientists that have no faith/religion have arguments with the evolution theory.

"The Evolutionary model says that it is not necessary to assume the existence of anything, besides matter and energy, to produce life. That proposition is unscientific. We know perfectly well that if you leave matter to itself, it does not organize itself - in spite of all the efforts in recent years to prove that it does." - Dr. Wilder-Smith (former evolutionist)

im not saying that either is right or wrong but that it shouldn't be dismissed because of the faith of the person it comes from."
That's why it's referred to as "evolutionary theory" and not "evolutionary fact".
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DualReaver
roofy said:
"Jayge said:
"DirtyTime said:

A large concern for proponents of banning ID from schools is that the religious Right (mainly Catholicism) would use that as a shoe-horn to advocate more strongly for a bible-study class (just, you know, to study the bible. Nothing religious there!). The thing is, many people go to Sunday School, to afterschool programs, to Church, etc. They hear enough about the concept of "intelligent design" there. There is no need to teach it in schools, as those who weren't raised with the concept likely wouldn't bother viewing it as a "legitimate" argument/theory. There would be no doubt that religious factions would clash verbally over exactly what to teach, too. There are too many variations, minute differences, and inconsistencies between different faith's interpretations. You can't sanitize something so varied. It never works."
your point are vaild and make sense that even if they were to teach it that many different religions/ faiths would argue what to teach but to totally ignore it as a theory is wrong in my opinion.

im not saying that either is right or wrong but that it shouldn't be dismissed because of the faith of the person it comes from."
Evolution is a theory because it has facts behind it, intelligent design is just an idea/belief; there is no real proof behind it.
If you can provide evidence that the world may have been created by a supreme being than yes it should be taught.
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oraknabo

If the Christians who need to believe in ID so bad already go to church, why can't they just teach it there? Why do they need to learn it in school? There are people of many religions in a public school and I don't see any need to force some fringe, fundamentalist Christian idea that has no scientific support on them when the Christians are totally free to teach it in church.

Meowayne said:

I don't know, do you have a "religion" class in the US? In Germany, Neo-Darwinism and other theories on evolution are taught in "Biology", whereas different religions, thoughts on beliefs and things like Intelligent Design are talked about in "Religion". This way everyone is happy. 

Because of separation of church and state, religion has no place in an American public school. The only kind of religion class I can see as acceptable is a survey of world religions that is focused on helping students understand people of other religions better as a whole and not one focusing on evangelizing Christianity as "America's religion". In a calss like that, it would be fair to mention ID while you're covering fundamentalist Christianity, but it wouldn't be a major focus of the class.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By joshrocks2245
DirtyTime said:
Everyone on the internet seems to be atheist.
People are too stubborn these days to believe in anything, even if there is scientific proof.
People choose what they want to believe in, people usually are atheist so they don't have to bother going to church all the time or actually doing stuff.
They are just generally lazy people.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Meowayne
BionicIguana said:
Personally I don't think religion classes have any place in schools, that stuff has nothing to do with education and should be taught at home or at church if that's what an individual family believes in."
So there is no religion class in the US? That's interesting. I'd say thats a reason threads like this happen. I'm not religious, even though I was raised by christians, but teaching the diversity of world religions, different schools of thought and different takes on experiencing the world to students can only make them more tolerant. "Religion"-class is anything but about "truth". It's showing the kids that there are differently thinking people on the world, and having a place were such controversial issues can be adressed. You might also call it "Religion and Philosophy class". You learn about the origin of the bible, you learn about how and what christians, muslims, jews etc. believe, you work your way through text and essays of renowned theists, fundamentalists and atheists, you talk about death (penalty), the origin of life, the influence of culture, politics and geography on beliefs, etc.
There's room for every school of thought. No "truths" are put into your head. Teachers do not take sides, but students can, and are encouraged to debate with each other. When doing exams, most often you're given a text and you're supposed to analyze it under different points of view.
Now if every child in the US were taught neo-darwinism in biology class, but at the same time had another place/class to discuss ID, and how some people chose to view the world differently, this stupid, neverending debate would finally vanish.
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By roofy
DualReaver said:
"roofy said:
"Jayge said:
"DirtyTime said:

Evolution is a theory because it has facts behind it, intelligent design is just an idea;there is no real proof behind it."
sorry for the long quote train but...

The Earths size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface.

If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up.

Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet it restrains our massive oceans from spilling over across the continents.

so explain to me how a planet can fit into the evolutionary theory
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaxadrin
joshrocks2245 said:
People are too stubborn these days to believe in anything, even if there is scientific proof.
People choose what they want to believe in, people usually are atheist so they don't have to bother going to church all the time or actually doing stuff.
That settles it.  Atheists are just too lazy to believe in god.
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Intelligent design is just fine and dandy as long as it is tought in church or private school. Public schools in the US require a seperation of church and state due to the United States constitution. Public schools only teach the science accepted by the international community, not psuedo religious dogma or what if scenarios? I couls also say that the flying spagetti monster from alpha centasuri was the on in charge of intelligent design on Earth. Prove me wrong.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Termite
DirtyTime said:
That's because there are simply too many people with brains on this forum to have any substantial number of Intelligent Design supporters.

Nobody is claiming evolution and the big bang have "airtight" proof. But Intelligent Design has virtually no proof to support it. And the "proof" it does have is almost all based on small gaps in the theory of evolution.

And don't pull the bacterial flagellum tripe on me either, because it doesn't work
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By roofy
Meowayne said:
"BionicIguana said:
Personally I don't think religion classes have any place in schools, that stuff has nothing to do with education and should be taught at home or at church if that's what an individual family believes in."
So there is no religion class in the US? That's interesting. I'd say thats a reason threads like this happen. I'm not religious, even though I was raised by christians, but teaching the diversity of world religions, different schools of thought and different takes on experiencing the world to students can only make them more tolerant. "Religion"-class is anything but about "truth". It's showing the kids that there are differently thinking people on the world, and having a place were such controversial issues can be adressed. You might also call it "Religion and Philosophy class". You learn about the origin of the bible, you learn about how and what christians, muslims, jews etc. believe, you work your way through text and essays of renowned theists, fundamentalists and atheists, you talk about death (penalty), the origin of life, the influence of culture, politics and geography on beliefs, etc.
There's room for every school of thought. No "truths" are put into your head. Teachers do not take sides, but students can, and are encouraged to debate with each other. When doing exams, most often you're given a text and you're supposed to analyze it under different points of view.
Now if every child in the US were taught neo-darwinism in biology class, but at the same time had another place/class to discuss ID, and how some people chose to view the world differently, this stupid, neverending debate would finally vanish.
"
in canada we have a class like this but you have to go to a catholic school to be taught it.
its called world religion and they touch on all the main religions along with atheism and evolutionary theory.
they do this because the science teachers find it wrong to be teaching about spirituality and not sciences and i dont blame them.
the class is really good and gave me an open minded perspective on life and religion. im not a religious person but i can appreciate all views in this matter because they all have standing and value. something people dont seem to understand when they debate this
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vaxadrin
Termite said:
That's because there are simply too many people with brains on this forum
Whoa whoa....let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DualReaver
roofy said:
"DualReaver said:
"roofy said:
"Jayge said:
"DirtyTime said:

Evolution is a theory because it has facts behind it, intelligent design is just an idea;there is no real proof behind it."
sorry for the long quote train but...

The Earths size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface.

If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up.

Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet it restrains our massive oceans from spilling over across the continents.

so explain to me how a planet can fit into the evolutionary theory"
Explain to me how god popped out of nowhere, you can't.
Yes the big bang theory is just a guess, and I'm not sure how that works either, no one is sure.
But the idea of a Supreme being popping out of nowhere with seemingly infinite power is a little far fetched as well.

And I looked at Wikipedia of that guy A. E. Wilder-Smith it seems he wasn't all that smart.

"In 1965 he visited and promoted the false claims that dinosaur and human footprints existed at Paluxy River in Dinosaur Valley State Park. He was criticized by scientists over these claims. These supposed tracks were later discovered to have been forged by creationists who tried to claim humans and dinosaurs lived together."

Now I know Wiki is a reputable source, but if I search his name in google it's all creationists site that come up, which are obviously biased.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By atejas

Wondering when the first of these would show up.
Big Bang= Educated guess, based on the fact that the universe is expanding, not necessarily correct, reputable theories that state otherwise exist.
Evolutionary Theory= Proven fact
Intelligent Design= "Makes sense"

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Termite

Most Intelligent Design supporting scientists make to many errors to be taken seriously.

And its sad that even with the outstanding number of religious people who would be all for Intelligent Design being an accepted theory, none of them make a solid argument.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DualReaver
Termite said:
"Most Intelligent Design supporting scientists make to many errors to be taken seriously.

And its sad that even with the outstanding number of religious people who would be all for Intelligent Design being an accepted theory, none of them make a solid argument."
I had a religious fellow come to our school to argue it, I went to see his argument.
He basically said Big Bang theory makes no sense cause you can't get something from nothing, but god isn't a something, so he can exist from nothing.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshrocks2245
Vaxadrin said:
"joshrocks2245 said:
That settles it.  Atheists are just too lazy to believe in god."
Either that or they aren't smart enough to understand what God is.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vaxadrin

That must be it.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By roofy

"Explain to me how god popped out of nowhere, you can't.
Yes the big bang theory is just a guess, and I'm not sure how that works either, no one is sure.
But the idea of a Supreme being popping out of nowhere with seemingly infinite power is a little far fetched as well."

the definition of God is a being an omnipotent being that transcends time and space.

by that definition it is impossible for me to "prove" that to you because he not confined by time, which means he was never born not died and was always there, and transcends space which means he cannot be confined to a certain area which means no physical proof. that's why religions are called "faiths", by the fact that there will be no proof that he exists and that you must make a leap of faith to believe. im not asking you or anyone to take that leap or believe. all that i am asking is to have an open mind when it comes to these matters

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DualReaver
joshrocks2245 said:
"Vaxadrin said:
"joshrocks2245 said:
That settles it.  Atheists are just too lazy to believe in god."
Either that or they aren't smart enough to understand what God is.
"
I'm not going to say he doesn't exist, but far as I'm concerned right now, he is just someone for people to look up to, to give them morals, to give themselves hope. I have no problem with that kind of spirituality.
I think it's a wonderful thing.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DualReaver
roofy said:
""Explain to me how god popped out of nowhere, you can't.
But the idea of a Supreme being popping out of nowhere with seemingly infinite power is a little far fetched as well."

the definition of God is a being an omnipotent being that transcends time and space.

by that definition it is impossible for me to "prove" that to you because he not confined by time, which means he was never born not died and was always there, and transcends space which means he cannot be confined to a certain area. that's why religions are called "faiths", by the fact that there will be no proof that he exists and that you must make a leap of faith to believe. im not asking you or anyone to take that leap or believe. all that i am asking is to have an open mind when it comes to these matters"
Yes exactly, and I don't believe "faiths" should be taught in the classroom.
DirtyTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DirtyTime
DualReaver said:
"DirtyTime said:
I'm agnostic but dude you are just being a total idiot about this, and probably are nothing more than a troll.

Religion is a personal belief not a school lesson. Why would we teach Intelligent Design? There is no facts behind it basically everything comes down to "God did it.""
There are facts. If you read up on it more you would find that out. Stop listening to the one side and look at both.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By atejas
roofy said:
""Explain to me how god popped out of nowhere, you can't.

by that definition it is impossible for me to "prove" that to you because he not confined by time, which means he was never born not died and was always there, and transcends space which means he cannot be confined to a certain area. that's why religions are called "faiths", by the fact that there will be no proof that he exists and that you must make a leap of faith to believe. im not asking you or anyone to take that leap or believe. all that i am asking is to have an open mind when it comes to these matters"

As long as you accept that there is currently no proof for it, and, acknowledging that, do not try to push your beliefs on others(not to say that you are), I acknowledge the possibility that
a- An external creator made life as a cell.
b- An external creator is influencing our evolution.
c- An external creator made us in such a way that he knew how he would evolve.
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By roofy

maybe thats why there are many ignorant people that assume all muslims are terrorists or mistake Sikh's for muslims.
i live in Windsor Ontario Canada which is near Dearborn Michigan (the largest population of Muslims outside of the middle east) and i constantly hear of hate crimes being committed against them.

maybe if there was a class that tought faiths then ignorace like that would ceace to exist

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DualReaver
DirtyTime said:
"DualReaver said:
"DirtyTime said:

Religion is a personal belief not a school lesson. Why would we teach Intelligent Design? There is no facts behind it basically everything comes down to "God did it.""
There are facts. If you read up on it more you would find that out. Stop listening to the one side and look at both."
I have listened to both, I always give things a fair chance.
And as I said I'm agnostic so, I'm not going to say there is no such thing as god, it just shouldn't be taught in schools.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By TheJollyRajah

The way I see it, there's no evidence supporting creation, but there isn't anything against it either. Assuming that the world wasn't created by an intelligent being would be bad science. I'm not saying you should believe in intelligent design, I'm saying you should always leave it in your mind as a possibility.

Say I have two marbles. A blue one, and a yellow one. I put one of them in a bag, but you don't know which one I chose. You say that the blue one was chosen, and you also say that it's unlikely the yellow one is in the bag. You know how stupid it sounds?

Now, I know I'm only using two beliefs. There are probably thousands of other marbles that could've went in the bag.

As for discussing this in school... yes, I totally believe that it should be brought up. Not a specific religion, but the idea that our world could've been created by an intelligent mind/minds. And take note that the idea of intelligent design isn't a religion. Most religions believe in intelligent design, but intelligent design is sort of like a concept....

If schools are mentioning one possibility and ignoring others, it's just close-minded and detrimental to education. Besides, I think IT'S VERY IMPORTANT to discuss where we came from...

(Please take note that I don't believe in religion, but I still accept the fact that our world may have been created, so don't spew out negative comments. Keep them to yourself please.)

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By ShadowSkill11

In college I had a philosophy class. I think it was called Knowledge and reality. The first half of the class we had discussions on why it was absolutely true that God existed then one day our instructor started telling us why it was absolutely true that God does not exist. Interesting class.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Termite
DirtyTime said:
"DualReaver said:
"DirtyTime said:

There are facts. If you read up on it more you would find that out. Stop listening to the one side and look at both."
Give me the facts oh wise one

Lay some really good solid facts about intelligent design on me that aren't related to gaps in the evolutionary theory or the bacterial flagellum whatchamacallit and I'll be impressed
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By atejas
DirtyTime said:
"DualReaver said:
"DirtyTime said:

Provide, please.
Extra points if it's not a Christian website.
DirtyTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DirtyTime
Termite said:
"DirtyTime said:
That's because there are simply too many people with brains on this forum to have any substantial number of Intelligent Design supporters.

That's what every atheist always say. They think they are smarter. Just because you think one way, doesn't make your way right. Again, seems like some atheist and believers have closed minds. I've always looked on all the possibility's. Seems like the only smart way for me.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vaxadrin
DirtyTime said:
How about providing links to some of those facts?  I'd really appreciate it.  It might even change people's minds if they're...factual enough.