sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

Edited By sjschmidt93
Example A: 

Okay so usually I watch all my online videos on my TV shows on the internet through my laptop through HDMI. But my laptop has been "stolen" (not literally) by my brother so I have to find another watch TV shows streaming from the internet on my TV. So I discovered PlayOn, so now I stream it all to the PS3. I downloaded the trial version. 14 days have gone by, so I uninstalled it and downloaded it from another source (CNET this time, before was MediaMall's site) and, boom! I get another 14 days free. And when this runs out and can either A) Find yet another place to download it from or B) Just download to my other computer. 

So assume I can't find another source thas has a PlayOn trial version. I still get 56 days free. 28 days for each computer.    

Assuming I can find another place to d/l it, that adds another 28 days of free PlayOn. A total of 84 free days.

Example B:   

I downloaded the AudioSurf demo long long ago and never bought the full edition. I later figured out you could just clear the cache of it inside of Steam and it'll reset the demo... another 4 songs. Play 4 more songs, exit, clear cache, play 4 more songs, save $10.   

That's is why trial versions don't work. Demos work, but trial editions do not.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sjschmidt93
Example A: 

Okay so usually I watch all my online videos on my TV shows on the internet through my laptop through HDMI. But my laptop has been "stolen" (not literally) by my brother so I have to find another watch TV shows streaming from the internet on my TV. So I discovered PlayOn, so now I stream it all to the PS3. I downloaded the trial version. 14 days have gone by, so I uninstalled it and downloaded it from another source (CNET this time, before was MediaMall's site) and, boom! I get another 14 days free. And when this runs out and can either A) Find yet another place to download it from or B) Just download to my other computer. 

So assume I can't find another source thas has a PlayOn trial version. I still get 56 days free. 28 days for each computer.    

Assuming I can find another place to d/l it, that adds another 28 days of free PlayOn. A total of 84 free days.

Example B:   

I downloaded the AudioSurf demo long long ago and never bought the full edition. I later figured out you could just clear the cache of it inside of Steam and it'll reset the demo... another 4 songs. Play 4 more songs, exit, clear cache, play 4 more songs, save $10.   

That's is why trial versions don't work. Demos work, but trial editions do not.
Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Tirrandir

Which, y'know, is essentially the same fundamentally as piracy--playing the game without paying for it.  

Sure, you can do that.  Or you could just pirate it outright.  Nothing stopping you, if you so choose.  

But for the rest of us, who ... y'know, *pay* for the services we use, a trial version very much helps determine whether or not it's worth ponying up for. 

EDIT:  And yes, I understand that you're saying demos vs. trial versions, but to be perfectly honest, most people aren't going to run around the blocks in trial version if they want to play it.  If the trial version is good, they're going to pay for is A) out of laziness and B) out of the desire to pay for what you enjoy (which, y'know, a minority excluded most people seem to want to do).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Tirrandir said:
" Which, y'know, is essentially the same fundamentally as piracy--playing the game without paying for it."
The only difference is that it's legal. There are no laws preventing me from hopping from WinRAR trial to WinRAR trial.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sjschmidt93
@Video_Game_King: A WinRAR trail that never seens to run out... I use WinRAR and I never have to actually redownload it.
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By CSXLoser
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @Video_Game_King: A WinRAR trail that never seens to run out... I use WinRAR and I never have to actually redownload it. "
Same here. Buy audiosurf. Definitely one of the best 10-15 bucks i ever spent
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@SJSchmidt93: 

Yea, is that a new feature, released many months ago? I still get the trial warning box, but it never runs out ever.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Fallen189

Just like shadow complex :P

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By twillfast
@Tirrandir said:
" Which, y'know, is essentially the same fundamentally as piracy--playing the game without paying for it.    Sure, you can do that.  Or you could just pirate it outright.  Nothing stopping you, if you so choose.    But for the rest of us, who ... y'know, *pay* for the services we use, a trial version very much helps determine whether or not it's worth ponying up for.   EDIT:  And yes, I understand that you're saying demos vs. trial versions, but to be perfectly honest, most people aren't going to run around the blocks in trial version if they want to play it.  If the trial version is good, they're going to pay for is A) out of laziness and B) out of the desire to pay for what you enjoy (which, y'know, a minority excluded most people seem to want to do). "
It's just like piracy - the moral issue, not really the legal one though.
But yeah, with services and such they should really put some restriction on so that it's only standable to the point where you'd want to pay for it, not to the point where you can use it forever. 
MMO trials work btw, cus who'd want to level up their character over and over again? ;)
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By pirate_republic

It's about morals. If you don't mind stealing from a team that's put hundreds of hours into a product, then that's your prerogative. Or, if you find pseudo-reasons that make it fine for you, then do it, as long as it helps you sleep at night.

Trials work with honest people. Demos force themselves to work with everyone, honest or not. I guess that's what it boils down to.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By damnboyadvance

Trials are usually more limited, so no they don't usually work. Plus there's the usual thing that if you don't unsubscribe when the 14 days are up, you HAVE to pay a subscription. It sucks.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93
@damnboyadvance: Yeah.... what credit card are they gonna bill that too?
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wish I had known about the Shadow Complex demo trick back when I was struggling to get Microsoft to take my credit card and before I bit the bullet and bought a $20 points card. It's the only reason I've ever had to buy M$ points and I really didn't want to support their scheme anyway. The dollar sign is entirely appropriate here, they've obviously designed it for the sole purpose of preventing you from ever using all your points or being able to buy just enough for what you want. But that's Microsoft's fault, not Chair's, and the game is awesome so in the end I'm glad I bought it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @Video_Game_King: A WinRAR trail that never seens to run out... I use WinRAR and I never have to actually redownload it. "
Same here, I've had it for so long now.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sabata
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" Example B:   

"
Heh, that's nothing.  I'm still using the effin' beta and a program that acts as a server.
oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By oDawg

Thats why they do work. If you are that cheap, go ahead and play - because you probably pirate your games anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, scum will always be scum, so nothing ever works.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By delta_ass

The thought of actually paying for WinRAR is pretty foreign to me. I've used it for years.