Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Turn 10's third installment in the Forza series. Forza Motorsport 3 offers 100 tracks and 400 cars with full customization, as well as video editing and uploading.

Forza 3 Demo Impressions

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By calidan777

No Caption Provided

I just got through checking out the Forza 3 demo and man, that shit is sick. I already knew the graphics were gonna be great from the trailers I've seen but seeing them first hand  is incredible. The frame rate is silky smooth and the controls feel spot on (as usual). The new "rewind" feature is great too. By hitting the "back" button at any time during the race, the game will rewind a few seconds back so as to retry any mistakes you may have made (you can keep hitting "back" to go back as far as you want). One of the things that always pissed me off in racing sims were those moments where you tryed a race multiple times and finally have a chance at winning only to wreck on the last lap and lose the race. For me personally, something like that can ruin the whole game. 

No Caption Provided

I played using my official Microsoft wheel while in cockpit view. Cockpit view is something I've never been very fond of all the way back to PGR3 "the first game to feature a fully modeled cockpit view, that I know of). For some reason the cockpit view always felt too claustrophobic to me, while in Forza 3 it doesn't feel that way at all. I also tried the "easy" difficulty in which all assists are turned on and to my surprise it was quite enjoyable. The new auto braking feature seemed to work well, handling all the braking duties and leaving you to steer the car and control throttle.I seriously cannot wait until this game comes out. If you have an Xbox360 and are at all into racing games (sims or not) you should download the Forza 3 demo and give it a run, I think you'll come away impressed.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By calidan777

No Caption Provided

I just got through checking out the Forza 3 demo and man, that shit is sick. I already knew the graphics were gonna be great from the trailers I've seen but seeing them first hand  is incredible. The frame rate is silky smooth and the controls feel spot on (as usual). The new "rewind" feature is great too. By hitting the "back" button at any time during the race, the game will rewind a few seconds back so as to retry any mistakes you may have made (you can keep hitting "back" to go back as far as you want). One of the things that always pissed me off in racing sims were those moments where you tryed a race multiple times and finally have a chance at winning only to wreck on the last lap and lose the race. For me personally, something like that can ruin the whole game. 

No Caption Provided

I played using my official Microsoft wheel while in cockpit view. Cockpit view is something I've never been very fond of all the way back to PGR3 "the first game to feature a fully modeled cockpit view, that I know of). For some reason the cockpit view always felt too claustrophobic to me, while in Forza 3 it doesn't feel that way at all. I also tried the "easy" difficulty in which all assists are turned on and to my surprise it was quite enjoyable. The new auto braking feature seemed to work well, handling all the braking duties and leaving you to steer the car and control throttle.I seriously cannot wait until this game comes out. If you have an Xbox360 and are at all into racing games (sims or not) you should download the Forza 3 demo and give it a run, I think you'll come away impressed.

PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By PowerBombYo

I totally agree! I also played with the Microsoft racing wheel and cockpit view and thought it was pretty amazing. I did play it on hard, just for a challenge. While I didn't finish first out of the 3 or so races I played, I did notice that the controls are much better than even Forza 2. It feels like the cars have a bit more weight now, which is how a car should feel. Forza 2 was a great game, but I wish the controls, at least while using the wheel, were a bit tighter. Thankfully, Forza 3 seems to have nailed a really good balance with that issue. 

This game is gonna rock!

Redsand26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Redsand26

Quality Post.  I agree 100%

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By calidan777
    @Redsand26: Thanks!

@PowerBombYo:
    You nailed it. I knew it felt better but I couldn't figure out what was different, but that's it, they do have more "weight" than in Forza 2. Also, I totally agree with you on how the wheel felt in Forza 2. I remember paying $150.00 for the wheel when it first came out and after using it a few times I determined that I actually did better with the controller, so yeah, they seem to have nailed it with Forza 3. yep, October 27th can't come soon enough.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

My nephew just gave me Forza 2. I'm liking it. I'm usually a day late and a dollar short, so maybe next year for this one. I don't care, all old games are new to me the first time.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By calidan777
    @Claude said:
    " My nephew just gave me Forza 2. I'm liking it. I'm usually a day late and a dollar short, so maybe next year for this one. I don't care, all old games are new to me the first time. "
    Forza 2 is still an amazing game and one that any racing fan should play. You can spend hours just making custom paint jobs in that game, it's crazy.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By PureRok

Ha. Awesome. Now I can do pixel art with that handy graph background. Terra in Magitek armor is awesome.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By asurastrike

I really like the Forza games, and the Forza 3 demo doesn't disappoint. But the rewind feature seemed a bit janky.

Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ken420

The included track looks amazing.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Bouke

I've been waiting for this demo and it is pretty awesome! I had the chance to play the game at Gamescom and this is one of the 3 tracks that were in the demo there... The demo at Gamescom also had more cars to chose from, but i'm pretty happy with the selection they made for the Xbox live demo.  I especially love how the Lancer handles, it has amazing cornering speed and grip. The graphics look really good, and the new track is great and is a good mix of high and low speed corners. Can't wait for the game to launch!
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Cube

Yeah dawg so siKK

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora

I played the demo and I was considerably impressed, despite the lack of any other tracks than just one... =/

Anyways, the graphics look superb and to my surprise it does seem like it hits 60 fps. I love the cockpit view though I'm having a hard time trying to get used to looking around in the car without fucking up. Good thing there's a rewind button for my fuck ups. In one of my races the AI also seemed to either behave humanly or retardedly. One of the AI just flied off the road since it was two seconds late on breaking on the turn and flipped over right before the finish line, where I took over its position. I found that part to be pretty hilarous and realistic (humans do make errors after all) at the same time.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By bwooduhs

The rewind button sells me on this game even more than i already was.

piderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By piderman

I've never been into simulation driving games but I must admit I spent a couple hours with the demo despite there only being 1 track and 5 cars :D

The rewind feature is cool indeed. I thought it would be too much 'cheaty' but it is useful, and if you want to compete in track times then you can't use it, because your time will be 'invalidated' and you end up below all drivers who have not used it. So you can choose to use it for some casual fun, or you can keep driving laps over and over again without rewind to nail the perfect time to get to the top of the leaderboards :D

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake

One game that made me wish I had a 360.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah it's awesome AS USUAL :)...I raced 3 races on hard with 3 different cars and won them all.  That track is awesome too...amazing views.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Pie

I wish that when you turned the camera in cockpit mode that your "head" would move instead of instantly cutting 90 degrees

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Reuben

I got my two friends to download the Forza demo and they hate racing games, especially sim-like racing games and after getting the feel of the game they both agreed to buy it which was weird enough considering they don't like racing games. 

Anywho nice post, I'm definitely looking forward to the game.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Claude said:
    " My nephew just gave me Forza 2. I'm liking it. I'm usually a day late and a dollar short, so maybe next year for this one. I don't care, all old games are new to me the first time. "
    Well said. I still play many old games for the first time and this is one of them. It is actually pretty good and is getting me into the sim genre. I will eventually pick this one (the third) up as well.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By meteora
    @Pie: You can turn your "head" by pressing the right stick up and turning left and right. You can only turn your head to the left and right in a limited manner, probably a bit like 60 degrees. It takes a bit of practice getting used to it for me, I need to train my brain to drive while looking around in the cockpit, especially in turns lol. Luckily there's the mirrors that sorta help.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

Did I miss something?

A few times during the demo, the rewind feature either
    A) wouldn't work; or
    B) would only go back 1-2 sections.

e.g. I couldn't press back more than twice once I had entered 'rewind mode.' This lead to a few times where I couldn't avoid a wreck (because I couldn't go back far enough), and was just left to deal with it.

The graphics look excellent though, and the high framerate is definitely noticeable. I'll certainly be picking this game up.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PercyChuggs

My impressions? It's Forza. That's good enough for me.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

T  

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Rio

The only things that bother me are:  1. No shifting animation in cockpit view     2.  only allowed about 1 second to get your rpm's in range for race start.   Both of these have been mentioned and discussed on fm.net.  The second point is something that could very well be fixed (I mean, why wouldnt they?).  The first point is not going to be fixed, they said that they didnt have time to implement the animations for all the cars so they cut it........ I personally am a bit disappointed about that seeing as I feel its a great aspect in having the Cockpit View. 

In any case those 2 disappointments are very minor when considering the game as a whole so its not a big deal.  The rest of the demo assured to me that FM3 is going to be fantastic and be a continued addiction in line with the rest of the series.  My love / hate relationship starts at the end of october.

Note: I am still very excited about GT5 as well, but seeing as I wont get my hands on that until next year FM3 has all my attention atm.

Jeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeffrey

I'm not a big racetrack style gamer, I've played other racing games like Forza 2 and others, but just couldn't get the hand of it and didn't enjoy playing them.  
    But after playing Xbox360 Forza 3 demo Kuso!! I Loved it, I actually got 1st place my second race, I think I will be picking this game up for sure. 
     Other racing games to me anyway seem to be way to mean when you just slightly go off the track and you go from 1st to 16th in a matter of seconds, but Forza 3 is almost forgiving, you can go off the track and not be punished like other crappy racing games and are slowed down to 2km ""cause other games think grass is that bad""  

I think I will have to add "Racing" to my profile in the list of game types I like. Also I think this will be way better then the other racing games on like ps3fail, not sure what the name is but they anounced that they are cutting several lists of brand name cars from the game due to licencing problems "some ones bein cheap", but you don't see that problem with Forza 3 :)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK

Forza 3 is simply stunning. The cars feel leagues better than they did in forza 2, in car view is brilliant, clutch makes racing so much fun, the driftometer is so much fun, but most of all it's the incredibly good sense of SPEED - When you're blasting down the mountain track at 130mph in the racing porsche GT3, you feel like you don't want to go much faster and that your mind can barely keep up. whereas forza 2 was 220mph is too slow. I think that's partly down to the new clutch feature, and partly because of the much better graphics, and partly because of the sweet in car view.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

They'll have the cockpit fixed next time since Shift did it right. GT5 isn't out yet so they still have time to fix theirs.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Andorski

There is also something about how the wheels interact with the track.  You can really feel the wheels gripping the ground when you go in for a tight turn.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By breadfan

Not being a huge racing sim fan I found Forza 2 to pretty damn hard.  Forza 3 on the other hand seemed more approachable though.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By meteora

What is all of this clutch racing I'm hearing?

But yeah Forza 3 is more easier to play than Forza 2 with the rewind button as well as the cars actually having more weight on them so they won't frisbee off the road. I was excited for the game at first, then decided "meh, I'll probably not play it at any rate" but the demo got me interested once more. I need to muster moneyz to buy this game.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " G T  5 "
    That was constructive. What's the problem, can't afford an Xbox 360 and a copy of Forza 3? That's the only reason I can see for why you would post that.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " G T  5 "
    That was constructive. What's the problem, can't afford an Xbox 360 and a copy of Forza 3? That's the only reason I can see for why you would post that. "
    Or he hasn't actually played the forza 3 demo but still wants attention
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By calidan777
    @crunchUK said:
    " @PercyChuggs said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " G T  5 "
    That was constructive. What's the problem, can't afford an Xbox 360 and a copy of Forza 3? That's the only reason I can see for why you would post that. "
    Or he hasn't actually played the forza 3 demo but still wants attention "
    I just went and looked at the back of my GT4 box and realized that if GT5 comes out next year as planned, it will have had a 6 YEAR DEVELOPMENT CYCLE. That's just crazy, especially considering  the fact it won't have as many features as Forza 3. For me personally there is no reason to think that GT4 will be as good as Forza 3 because :
    1. In the time it has taken Polyphony Digital to go from GT4 to GT5, Turn 10 has made 3 Forza games, with each better being exponentially better than the last.
    2. If I remember correctly most game critics said that the first Forza was better than GT4, I still remember that first line of the Forza review in EGM which stated, "Better than Gran Turismo 4".
    3. Forza 3 will have full damage modeling, all the best licensed cars, and innovative new features like "rewind". GT5 will have a shit load of cars, sure, but how many people want to drive a Ford Model T.
    Now I'm not trying to bash the GT series, God knows I played a ton of GT back in the day. But by the time that GT4 came out the series had gotten stale for me personally while Forza reignited my love for racing games. I will probably buy GT5, but I feel pretty sure that it will probably just be more of the same.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Bouke

Just wondering, who are racing using the clutch and do you benifit from that? I only play Forza with the transmission set on manual the only exception is when i play split screen, because you can't hear the car rev. I haven't tried the clutch option in Forza 3 yet, not sure why but i think i might screw up or something. Maybe its because i play with a controller and it is on the left shoulder button if i'm right, which means i can't have my index finger on the brake...
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @TwoOneFive said:

" G T  5 "

Now that Forza is out in just under a month, they can stop delaying GT5 to add on new features, is that what you mean?
    I see the PSP version was well worth the five year wait..

@ajamafalous said:

" Did I miss something?  A few times during the demo, the rewind feature either A) wouldn't work; or B) would only go back 1-2 sections.  e.g. I couldn't press back more than twice once I had entered 'rewind mode.' This lead to a few times where I couldn't avoid a wreck (because I couldn't go back far enough), and was just left to deal with it.    The graphics look excellent though, and the high framerate is definitely noticeable. I'll certainly be picking this game up. "

It doesn't let you go back to the begining of the race, I'm not sure if that's a technical limitation, or if there's no point as you could simply restart.  It is a bit annoying though as the A.I. will sometimes try and take you out on the first bend.

I posted most of my thoughts in the last thread, so I don't want to sound like a broken record, but yeah.. to sum it up, it looks beautiful, has a lot of great options, it's very approachable while still being suitable for the hardcore racing fans.  I've already spent a lot of time trying to improve my times on the demo leaderboards, really can't wait for the full game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.