Gears of War2 turned from bad to amazing.

Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

Title Update was released today, and it seems like it fixed almost everything that I totally disliked about GeoW2's multiplayer.

• Little to no lag AT ALL. Shotgun, or any weapon, has no bullet lag. Maybe slight 0.2 second delays, but that's nothing big.
  • Chainsaw user will get paralyzed if shot from a shotgunner.
  • No 2-piecing -- A tactic where you melee attack somebody after sprinting, and shoot them with a shotgun. In short, it was a freaking cheap move.
  • Lack of glitches.
  • Ranking system is godly. Seriously.
  • Matchmaking is as fast as speedy Gonzales.
  • Ranking system is like Halo3 and CoD4 combined.

I don't know how Epic did it, but they made The Rock turn into Mozart.

However, there are a few things that I am disappointed with...

• The Lancer's gunfire is weak as hell.
  • Ghost cam is hard to control.

#1 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

Title Update was released today, and it seems like it fixed almost everything that I totally disliked about GeoW2's multiplayer.

• Little to no lag AT ALL. Shotgun, or any weapon, has no bullet lag. Maybe slight 0.2 second delays, but that's nothing big.
  • Chainsaw user will get paralyzed if shot from a shotgunner.
  • No 2-piecing -- A tactic where you melee attack somebody after sprinting, and shoot them with a shotgun. In short, it was a freaking cheap move.
  • Lack of glitches.
  • Ranking system is godly. Seriously.
  • Matchmaking is as fast as speedy Gonzales.
  • Ranking system is like Halo3 and CoD4 combined.

I don't know how Epic did it, but they made The Rock turn into Mozart.

However, there are a few things that I am disappointed with...

• The Lancer's gunfire is weak as hell.
  • Ghost cam is hard to control.

#2 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
the bots that replace quitters are by far the best addition. That and the detah of 2-piecing
#3 Posted by DBoy (1997 posts) -

0.2 seconds eh?
You had time to calculate that?  :-p

#4 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -

I guess its time to give gears2 another shot.

#5 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -
Kratos81 said:
"I guess its time to give gears2 another shot."
I see what you did there!
But it's good to see that patches do work.
#6 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I still hate smoke grenades, and a lot of other things.  I'd rather play GoW 1 multiplayer over that still.  I heard there is still 2 piecing, accuracy after a melee was decreased... and I don't see what the fuss is about... I mean, how is it a cheap move to let someone melee you... they could just use their pistol to melee you to death. 

#7 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

The decrease in lag mean great things for hammer-bursters.
Only lost one game today out of like, fifteen.

#8 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -

I dont think it fixed shit, I waited and waited to get into a match as usual. I just cant do it anymore, officially done with gears. FUCK THIS GAME. 

#9 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"the bots that replace quitters are by far the best addition. That and the detah of 2-piecing"
That is a really neat feature, I'd like something like this in Killzone 2.
#10 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
Kratos81 said:
"I dont think it fixed shit, I waited and waited to get into a match as usual. I just cant do it anymore, officially done with gears. FUCK THIS GAME. "
poor baby

I've been loving the hell out of Gears now, only problem is that I haven't played in so long so im soooo bad :( o well  Epic gets a 10/10 for this
#11 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
Bucketdeth said:
"crunchUK said:
"the bots that replace quitters are by far the best addition. That and the detah of 2-piecing"
That is a really neat feature, I'd like something like this in Killzone 2."
Yeah, i would to. The quitters are not that bad, but it can be annoying.
#12 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -
Jeffsekai said:
"Kratos81 said:
"I dont think it fixed shit, I waited and waited to get into a match as usual. I just cant do it anymore, officially done with gears. FUCK THIS GAME. "
poor babyI've been loving the hell out of Gears now, only problem is that I haven't played in so long so im soooo bad :( o well  Epic gets a 10/10 for this "
Im am baby because a game is broken? Fuck you, I was a level 2 after 1 match, I dont suck. I have better things to do then stare at a matchmaking screen.
#13 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

Nice, I'll have to try it out tonight.

#14 Posted by JamesF (1489 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up, will check this out.

#15 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

If it actually improved, then I may look at it again. I was disappointed around launch due to the lag. There can only be room for improvement from here.

#16 Posted by Ossyaris (26 posts) -

yes but their is still people who lag switch and now more people are doing it and bridging host, that's one thing that pisses me and most of the GOW2 community off

#17 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

Well i prefer insignias over numbers, and smoke grenades are stupid,

#18 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -
Kratos81 said:
"Jeffsekai said:
"Kratos81 said:
poor babyI've been loving the hell out of Gears now, only problem is that I haven't played in so long so im soooo bad :( o well  Epic gets a 10/10 for this "
Im am baby because a game is broken? Fuck you, I was a level 2 after 1 match, I dont suck. I have better things to do then stare at a matchmaking screen.
"
onoz someone call the waaaamblance
#19 Posted by Krenor (469 posts) -
Ossyaris said:
"yes but their is still people who lag switch and now more people are doing it and bridging host, that's one thing that pisses me and most of the GOW2 community off"
Gears of War 2 is not the only game that this is done in you know? the 360 and PS3 have problems with this but I hope they do something about it
#20 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

*sigh*

I have to wait a day or two before I can play xbox again, the movers packed my 360 JUST IN TIME FOR THE FREAKEN UPDATE.

Sounds like they really improved it though. Can't wait to try it out.

#21 Posted by Ossyaris (26 posts) -

ok then genius why would i care about your opinion if other games have it, i just said thats one problem that isnt still fixed in GOW2

#22 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -

o_O

WHAT?!?

The ONLY thing in that list that was true is that matchmaking is fast.  Seriously, you get into a match almost instantly, before you might as well have started it then made yourself a sandwich and do your taxes while you waited pre title update 1.

THEY DID NOT FIX 2-PIECING, THEY ONLY DELAYED MELEE OUT OF A ROLL, THEY DID NOT DELAY SHOOTING AFTER MELEE.
CHAINSAWERS DO NOT ALWAYS GET PARALYSED, ONLY RARELY IF YOU HIT THEM WITH A FULL SHOTTIE BLAST AND YOU HAPPEN TO BE HOSTING.

Lag is just as bad as ever, with 1 out of every 5 games unplayable, 2 1/2 being with that wonderful .2 second bullet lag (which is still too slow if you are fighting host., and that horrible 1 1/2 games out of 5 with 2-3 seconds bullet lag..  My internet connection is 16-megabit p/s download and 2 mbps upload so it is not my connection.
Host advantage is worse as ever.

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU HAVE PLAYED MATCHMAKING FOR MORE THAN A LUCKY 5 OR SO GAMES.

#23 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
piropeople13 said:
"o_OWHAT?!?The ONLY thing in that list that was true is that matchmaking is fast.  Seriously, you get into a match almost instantly, before you might as well have started it then made yourself a sandwich and do your taxes while you waited pre title update 1.THEY DID NOT FIX 2-PIECING, THEY ONLY DELAYED MELEE OUT OF A ROLL, THEY DID NOT DELAY SHOOTING AFTER MELEE.CHAINSAWERS DO NOT ALWAYS GET PARALYSED, ONLY RARELY IF YOU HIT THEM WITH A FULL SHOTTIE BLAST AND YOU HAPPEN TO BE HOSTING.Lag is just as bad as ever, with 1 out of every 5 games unplayable, 2 1/2 being with that wonderful .2 second bullet lag (which is still too slow if you are fighting host., and that horrible 1 1/2 games out of 5 with 2-3 seconds bullet lag..  My internet connection is 16-megabit p/s download and 2 mbps upload so it is not my connection.Host advantage is worse as ever.THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU HAVE PLAYED MATCHMAKING FOR MORE THAN A LUCKY 5 OR SO GAMES."
Actually i think i have played like 20 games since the update and they were ALL lag-free, i didn't get 2-pieced at all and the only thing i 2-pieced was a guy with a meatshield form behind. I haven't got chainsawed at all, and with my 1337890 hammerburst i think i have stopped more than plenty of shotgun runners and chainsaws. Oh and  my connection is rubbish.

So really you give me the impression that you are just5 bad at this game
#24 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Get back to me when they remove that horrible matchmaking system.

#25 Posted by Jordan23 (1000 posts) -

BIG UPS to the EPIC for the update and all of you complainers (go and jump in front of a damn bus)!

#26 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -

Oh sweet I might actually go play through Gears again to learn how to play better and then give it another shot. Last time I tried it it was terrible.

#27 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

Yeah I played a bunch of games today and yesterday and it was actually pretty smooth. Still some lag, but the bots and the little ranking system is a much needed welcome. It's awesome how i aim at people and BY THE GODS, the bullets hit them! :D

I've been needing something to play other than COD4 or halo and this is certainly filling the void now. 

#28 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
samcotts said:
"Get back to me when they remove that horrible matchmaking system."
YEah and add one more up to the standard of halo 3's good idea.
#29 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

gow2 is gow2, glichy laggy shity kiddy players :(

#30 Posted by nethanel (188 posts) -

Gears is awesome about 3 out of every 5 games, the lag and the 30min waits for matches seem to come on and off. But the "matching similar skilled players" bullshit is still waaay off

#31 Posted by gimmysumcowbel (418 posts) -

i totally agree with u
havent played it in months cause of lag and glitches
put it back in cause of fuel depot
now im hooked again

#32 Posted by HistoryInRust (6315 posts) -
samcotts said:
"Get back to me when they remove that horrible matchmaking system."
I am semi-onboard with this. I don't think Matchmaking in and of itself is a bad idea, but I'd like to see a lobby system for public, unranked games like Gears 1.  Because highly-competitive multiplayer is not my thing. I'm there to play, not to compete.
#33 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -

I went back and beat Gears on hardcore and then I went online for a few matches. Little to no lag, the first few games took little time to match me up (But they did a horrible job with it, level 1 and everyone else on my team was level 30), but I still had loads of fun. So then I went back the next day and I left my 360 running to find a match while I was on my computer. After 2 hours of not getting one I said fuck that and put Oblivion in the Xbox.

#34 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

I played one match I dig the updates, although I was matched against a clan of lvl. 40+ players and I was level 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.