Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

so uh where are these issues i keep hearing about?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crunchUK

I don't get it the game seems rather nicely balanced out to me yet whenever i enter a match people are whining non stop about chainsaw this, smoke grenade that when i really dont see any problem

is it a bit like the assault rifle in halo 3 where people like to moan about it because...... they got killed by it?

Oh and i'd just like to add why isn't anybody using the hammerburst? its so very powerful and it allows you to pull of headshots making it great for execution gametypes

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

If I can get into a game, then I have no issues. It's the waiting for 10 minutes to get into a damn match that's the problem. (Albeit this is based on right after the game was released and I rented the game.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

As far as I'm concerned, the smoke grenade is a gimmick in practice but a really interesting concept. Chainsaw has a small gravitational pull, it seems, and is iffy as to when you shoot it if it will go down.The real problem are all the glitches. Yesterday I got killed by an invisible enemy. Yesterday I saw five different people shield glitching. That's the shit we should complain about first and foremost.

Also, if you are not high enough rank, you won't see the Hammerburst. Only smart people use it, that's why I don't use it.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RetroIce4

Matchmaking is my issue.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By teptom

I listened to an entire Bombcast and still wasn't in a match

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure

I have had absolutely no trouble finding a match, literally takes less than 2 minutes which is fine. (and for anyone curious as to how much I have done so far I am 1100/1999 rounds for the achievement, mostly do wingman). Playing online seems to be fine. My biggest issue is the chainsaw not lowering when I shoot people.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hexpane

are you denying the bugs and gameplay issues?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK
    Hexpane said:
    "are you denying the bugs and gameplay issues?"
    yeh pretty much
    or at least denying the gameplay issues because.. there are none

your smoke grenade can do 2 things - either be a defensive weapon (tripmine on the wall) or be an offensive weapon (ordinary throwing)

but thats all a moot point because

THE GOLDEN RULE OF THE GEARS IS TAKE COVER OR DIE
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Discorsi

Well I have no problem with smoke grenades and the tagging of walls with different types of grenades.  However, they need to make the process (if you are hit by a smoke grenade) of getting up less buggy.  Sometimes you are inexplicably left on the ground for a very long time while other times you pop right up after a fair amount of time.  There is also the matter of shield glitching, meleeing through walls, a chainsaw that vacuums (only really bothersome if the match you are in is laggy), and people who can hit a lag switch and kill everyone during said frozen time.  Other then that, Gears 2 is A okay... and hella fun for that matter ;p

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fosssil
    crunchUK said:
    "Oh and i'd just like to add why isn't anybody using the hammerburst? its so very powerful and it allows you to pull of headshots making it great for execution gametypes"
    Good players use the Hammerburst. It's like the Gears 2 equivalent of the BR.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

Try playing King of Hill. Throw smoke... rush... capture. Throw smoke... rush... capture. The smokes grenade are good in gametypes where you don't re spawn but ones where you do they are absolutely ridiculous.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Try playing King of Hill. Throw smoke... rush... capture. Throw smoke... rush... capture. The smokes grenade are good in gametypes where you don't re spawn but ones where you do they are absolutely ridiculous."
    king of the hill is by far my favourite gametype wtf.....
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hexpane
    crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "are you denying the bugs and gameplay issues?"
    yeh pretty much
    or at least denying the gameplay issues because.. there are none

"
    That's funny because Mark Rein sees it differently.  I guess that makes your "complaint about complainers"  null and bunk
    Administrator

A brief status report on the next Gears2 title update
    Happy New Year!

First of all I hope all of you had a safe and happy holiday season.

As I mentioned before the break we’ve been working on a major title update for Gears of War 2. This update will address bugs and exploits as well as add some new achievements related to downloadable content. We don’t have an exact date for it but all indicators are it will go live within January. If that changes we’ll let you know.

We’re fixing a whole bunch of online exploits. For example we’ve fixed the ability to wield an invisible shield, melee through some walls, gain infinite Lancer ammo and equip a shield and a two-handed weapon simultaneously plus many more.

We’re also making several small changes to improve the overall online gameplay experience. A few of the ones that might interest you are; increased penalties for quitting matches early, adding additional spawn protection against planted grenades and chainsaw attacks, and adding the ability to see the Submission flag carrier destination by using Tac/Com.

We know you folks love achievements so on the achievement side we’re adding achievement progress numbers to the War Journal, increasing the frequency of in-game Achievement progression notifications and adding some new Achievements for DLC.

This is just a very small list of some of the things that will be in the next title update but one more item which has been talked about a lot in our forums deserves a special call out...

About that shotgun...

We fixed the client side hit detection on the shotgun so that in a high-latency (i.e. “laggy”) match, the shotgun will be more reliable. We’ve also fixed another bug whereby shotgun and boomshot rounds could strike the ground when firing from the hip.

So there’s a brief status report on the next title update. At some point I expect we’ll post a more detailed list but I assure you we’re working hard to get this out the door and once it’s done we’ll start working on the next update. We’ll try to do a better job keeping you informed of our progress on future updates and we’ll try to be a little more active in the forums once this update is released.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By End_Boss

How long have you been playing the game? I know when I started playing I was definitely looking at it through rose-tinted glasses due to my (wonderful) experience with Gears 1. After a while, though, the edges began to fray until well... The game seemed to be nothing but frayed edges.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane

and Cliffy B too

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, occasionally I have trouble finding a match.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK

i said there are no gameplay issues. All the things you listed were glitches which i said were true, but gameplay stuff... there really isn't any lol

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By End_Boss
    crunchUK said:
    "i said there are no gameplay issues. All the things you listed were glitches which i said were true, but gameplay stuff... there really isn't any lol"
    Lag? Matchmaking? Bullet detection? Blind-firing? None of those are intentional glitches, my friend. When you blind-fire a Boomshot and the round appears to have dropped out of your character's ass and lands right between his legs (thus killing yourself and not even getting close to your intended target), you'll understand.
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MKHavoc

I haven't played since December so I'm not sure if the problems have been fixed.  As someone said before, actually playing a match online is great the long wait in between is what's keeping me from going back.  I don't have any problems with the campaign.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dauragon

I don't think I've played a competitive gears 2 online match yet that I would describe as "fun".

My main complaint is with the shotgun. That stupid fucking thing couldn't hit the broadside of a sperm whale. In order to kill some one with it you quite literally have to have the damn barrel rammed up a dudes ass. If I am a foot and a half away from you, and I blast you in the face with a shotgun, your head is supposed to disappear.  The blind firing is junk also. Yes I know, It's supposed to be inaccurate because you are blindly firing your weapon, but if a dude is standing right in front of me and I blind fire whatever weapon I have, the bullets should at least hit him. Hell, not even all the bullets, just one would please me. There have been plenty of times where I have shot off the lancer or the shotgun blindly and one of those flags with the word "BANG" written on it might as well have popped out the barrel. Sure I could learn how to exploit the glitches and win that way, but that's not what I paid for. I've mostly gone back to Call of Duty 4 and Left 4 Dead since they both follow the golden shooter rule of "things die when struck by high velocity projectiles" quite well.

The Singleplayer on the other hand. A+++++++

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK
    Dauragon said:
    "I don't think I've played a competitive gears 2 online match yet that I would describe as "fun".

My main complaint is with the shotgun. That stupid fucking thing couldn't hit the broadside of a sperm whale. In order to kill some one with it you quite literally have to have the damn barrel rammed up a dudes ass. If I am a foot and a half away from you, and I blast you in the face with a shotgun, your head is supposed to disappear.  The blind firing is junk also. Yes I know, It's supposed to be inaccurate because you are blindly firing your weapon, but if a dude is standing right in front of me and I blind fire whatever weapon I have, the bullets should at least hit him. Hell, not even all the bullets, just one would please me. There have been plenty of times where I have shot off the lancer or the shotgun blindly and one of those flags with the word "BANG" written on it might as well have popped out the barrel. Sure I could learn how to exploit the glitches and win that way, but that's not what I paid for. I've mostly gone back to Call of Duty 4 and Left 4 Dead since they both follow the golden shooter rule of "things die when struck by high velocity projectiles" quite well.

The Singleplayer on the other hand. A+++++++"
    I honestly just think you aren't very good at gears 2

as marcus said in the TUTORIAL, "take cover or die"... not attempt the super effective in gears 1 roadie run/shotty. I make a habit of avoiding close combat confrontations unless it's me chainsawing someone from behind. seriously if you see them coming closer stay put with your lancer/hammerbusrt (preferrably the latter) and shoot until he gets too close for comfort but far enough for you to escape and then roll back, grenade throw into where you were and then if he wasn't already downed by rushing he is now stunned and trussed up for the kill

don't make a habit of blindfiring at all
    Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dauragon

Haha, because I totally detailed my method of play in the above post.  All I said was that the shotgun doesn't work and that there are latency and host issues that  make bullets just not hit anything.

I never once said that I use the roadie/shotty method. I do take cover since it's, I dunno, the main mechanic of the whole damn videogame.  Anywhoo, those are both moot points. My complaints appy to any and all times that I have pointed a gun at somenes face, pressed on the right trigger and due to some crazy, pulp fiction, devine intervention shit , they manage to not get hit by a single bullet before they proceed to ice skate across the map, sawing me in half. I've also experienced this issue from the other end of the spectrum. There have been plenty of times where I have been NAILED by various projectiles and should have died (shotgun blast from point blank range, dead on rocket launcher hit from medium distance ect). Those are mechanical issues, not issues of skill.

This isn't really about being good at a game. This isn't even about getting a kill.  This is about a game being unable to adhere to the simple equation of "pointing gun at something + pulling the trigger = bullets hiting something" wether they die or not.

And yeah, adapting to alot of these technical issues would make the game more fun, but as I've said before, that is not the reason I bought the game.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK

and if you're smart and avoid cqb you will never again experience that. If you do you're just not taking into account that lancer/hammerburst/sniper/anything needs leading

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rerty

just read this...Dauragon is completely right. The cover/lancer/hammerburst method blows my fuckin cock online so stfu with that (It's fine and dandy in single player). The shotgun is broken, the chainsaw has a hidden vacuum attached (another retarted weapon for multiplayer),the smoke grenade is basically death in a bottle, the hammerburst and lancer have wayyyy too much stopping power, shot lag is intolerable....What the fuck am I paying 4 bucks a month for? Random hosting is a joke, add dedicated servers and I wouldn't have any problems with the game. 8 guys shooting each other with hammerbursts across the map while hiding behind cover for 2 minutes is not my idea of fun. Gears MP is all about getting up close and personal otherwise its just a generic TPS and a bad one at that. Don't post "don't play it if you don't like it" because I love Gears of War and the ideas involved, I just wish  they were implementedbetter  in the online component.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hexpane
    crunchUK said:
    "i said there are no gameplay issues. All the things you listed were glitches which i said were true, but gameplay stuff... there really isn't any lol"
    So those glitches do not happen during gameplay, uhhh when do they happen then, cutscenes?  WTF are you LOLing at your comment for, there are no jokes.

You said there were no gameplay issues, meanwhile the guys who make the friggin game say there are.,.. then you lol your incorrect comment?  The end of the world is nigh folks.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Pibo47

I really havnt seen any glitching sense the last update. I am still loving the hell outa this game too. great game.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Karmum

The issues aren't when playing the game, the issues are the still on-going matchmaking problems. What has it been -- three patches and no solution?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.