Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

SPOILERS! Forced Drama

beau123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By beau123

It seemed to me that both Tai's suicide and Maria's mercy killing were intended to make the player feel something for the characters but it had zero effect on me personally.  Unlike GTA IV where, most likely because it was the players choice, the dramatic scenes did not seem to carry much weight.  The Games whole tone (except for the parts just mentioned) is very light hearted in nature, so when you have The Cole Train tagging fools with grenades in Slow-Mo it kinda diffuses any and all seriousness.  Did any of you find that these moments worked for them?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter

It served its purpose. It had some pretty decent closure so we don't have to listen to Dom bitch about his wife anymore. And Tai's death wasn't "Drama" it was to make sure Baird could join the 4 man squad.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I thought  it was very well done but you have to have an attachment to the characters in the first place. 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Rowr

yeh there wasnt much to it. I felt nothing.

Like watching a michael bay film, horribly cliched and phony emotion,  though im pretty sure thats the intention. I guess it adds a small amount of spice to the story? which is something the first game definitely lacked. Not winning any awards with story telling thats for sure, which is fine since the focus is on the gameplay anyway.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pause422

I think it was also totally out of place and because of how they mold the characters, and what the rest of the game world is like, it just seemed like it was trying to make people feel something in them, that I know most didn't. I almost felt like laughing at said parts, it did nothing for me.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Burns09

I never saw the suicide of Tia coming, never expected it. And as for Maria, I think they did a good job for making me feel bad for Dom, but after that cut scene there wasn't much more of Dom being upset, but I guess that will be Dom's whole thing in the next one.

beau123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beau123

I laughed fairly hard at those 2 parts to be honest.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Systech
    beau123 said:
    "I laughed fairly hard at those 2 parts to be honest."
    I have an unfortunate disability that I can't laugh at most things, but I thought those scenes were pretty comedic in a sick way.
    Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Prime20

Well not ot be the bitch of the group but i shed one friggin man tear for Dom and maria, that part was just deep man. Dude spends the past 14 years searching for his wife, only to find her, see her in that crack head state, then blow her brains out.
    Hell it was the only reason he kept going.

But Tai eating a shotgun just made me loose any sort of respect i had for him. I thought he was going to be a big samoan bad ass but he ended up shooting him self.  I just have a thing when it comes to suicide, so thats just me.

My main question is what happened to Dizzy? Did he get captured? I like to believe he escaped and is somewhere selling propane and propane bi-products to the stranded.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolswor

Tai should have died in the derrik explosion.  It was so retarded "LOL Tai is sooo invincible!!!"  *5 minutes of torture later* "OMG SUICIDE"  For being indestructible he sure does break pretty fast.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skunk

posted this in the other SPOILERS thread:

The fact is, you're just not invested enough in the relationship to care.  They just dump it in there like the whole Tai thing they went over in the bombcast, it was just totally unnecessary. I'm sorry but hearing a couple quotes and seeing a picture doesn't do jack for me. They needed to either have her in Gears 1 or extend the intro to have any sort of impact. Plus it was just way too obvious what was going to happen."

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By keyhunter

Dude, they fucked Tai up.  Real bad for sure. By the way he did himself there it was obvious that there was some locust penetrations he would never be able to cleanse from his poor tortured soul. Also, they need to kill a main character in every game to make room for Baird.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm

Those of you saying that these parts were "comical" are fucked in the head. Did you not see all of the fucked up emotional shit that served as a build up to these important parts? Obviously you have no knowledge of how a story progresses and uses emotional tactics and proper character development to build emotion, suspense, and in this case horror.

Talk about the story going right the fuck over your head.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By jeff
    keyhunter said:
    "It served its purpose. It had some pretty decent closure so we don't have to listen to Dom bitch about his wife anymore. And Tai's death wasn't "Drama" it was to make sure Baird could join the 4 man squad.

"

Keep in mind that there are points in the game where you are rolling with a five-man squad.
    Still, I don't miss Tai. His faux mysticism got on my nerves almost immediately.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Jeff said:
    "keyhunter said:
    "It served its purpose. It had some pretty decent closure so we don't have to listen to Dom bitch about his wife anymore. And Tai's death wasn't "Drama" it was to make sure Baird could join the 4 man squad.

"

Keep in mind that there are points in the game where you are rolling with a five-man squad.
    Still, I don't miss Tai. His faux mysticism got on my nerves almost immediately.

"
    But who's going to tell the enemies to 
    EAT BOOT SUCKAH!
    halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By halfameatball

I thought these parts served a great purpose personally. In the first Gears it was just shoot monsters, they're bad. But these scenes served up more motivation for me. Of course the game's tone is going to shift, just like movies or any other medium. I'm glad that Coal Train is in there for some comic relief, it makes the game far less dreary to go through and no shift in tone seemed too abrupt to me. Everything flowed together quite well and while the game doesn't quite have the story of a Metal Gears this was a huge step in the right direction. I enjoyed the story and these more emotional scenes

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vlademir

They weren't amazing but you have to give them credit for adding a little drama to the game. I did find the Maria part a little sad.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By skunk
    Napalm said:
    "Those of you saying that these parts were "comical" are fucked in the head. Did you not see all of the fucked up emotional shit that served as a build up to these important parts? Obviously you have no knowledge of how a story progresses and uses emotional tactics and proper character development to build emotion, suspense, and in this case horror.

Talk about the story going right the fuck over your head."
    First off, chill dude. I'm sure people appreciate being called "fucked in the head" because they clearly saw through the "emotional" bullshit. I'm not saying they should've left it out but they should've atleast approached it differently. The whole Maria story is weak and the people that saw through that crap weren't fooled by a couple "DOM ANGRY NOW!!" cutscenes. But apparently you "get it", whatever there is to "get".
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Milkman

I agree. While they really didn't bother me or seem that out of place, they didn't really cause any feelings besides "Wow, that was fucked up". I think instead of those parts making me sad, it just made me hate the Locust more. Tai and Maria were two characters we knew little to nothing about. Both were pretty much introduced in Act 1 (though Maria was kind of mentioned in the first Gears of War). This allowed you only a couple hours of play time to became acquainted with the characters, which just isn't enough for me to care when they die. Even less so with Maria because you never actually see her. Just Dom throwing a fit because he can't find her and then that picture he is constantly looking at.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't know if I bought the Maria narrative.  I do think the euthanasia moment is really chilling, and I did find myself a little shocked and pained by it, I also think the subplot only plays a strange, intermittent role in the story up until that point.  Only on seemingly unprovoked occasions does Dom reflect on his separation from his wife, while most of the time, he's too busy killing grubs to really care. 

It does seem disjointed, but the big reveal is effective. 

Also, I don't think we are supposed to empathize with Tai at all, and so it's a bit unfair to say that that is included in the narrative for the purposes of teasing out sadness from the gamer.  The point there, as I read it, was to demonstrate just how fucked the conflict has become.  Tai is repeatedly referenced as a sort of juggernaut, so when his death comes from a self-reflexive desire, the action shows that, not only do the Locust forces have the ability to destroy the minds of their captives, but it elevates the stakes of the other plots in the story.

EDIT: My grammar is fucked tonight. 

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Cerza
    Napalm said:
    "Those of you saying that these parts were "comical" are fucked in the head. Did you not see all of the fucked up emotional shit that served as a build up to these important parts? Obviously you have no knowledge of how a story progresses and uses emotional tactics and proper character development to build emotion, suspense, and in this case horror.

Talk about the story going right the fuck over your head."
    I totally agree with you.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead

The Tai stuff was completely needless. Like others have said, he's a badass one moment, roughly half an hour later and he's fucked up. It just doesn't make sense. The stuff with Dom was heartbreaking though. He's been searching for all those years, then he finds her and when it shows her coming out of that cage thing all nice, while part of me thought it was too good to be true, the rest of me was increadibly happy for him, then when it cut to when she was really like, it was crushing.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    beau123 said:
    "It seemed to me that both Tai's suicide and Maria's mercy killing were intended to make the player feel something for the characters but it had zero effect on me personally.  Unlike GTA IV where, most likely because it was the players choice, the dramatic scenes did not seem to carry much weight.  The Games whole tone (except for the parts just mentioned) is very light hearted in nature, so when you have The Cole Train tagging fools with grenades in Slow-Mo it kinda diffuses any and all seriousness.  Did any of you find that these moments worked for them?"
    that was really touching  , you gotta be an emotionless potato . lol (just kidding )
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wolswor

Damn, for those of you saying that these scenes made you emotional go play the Darkness and tell me how you feel after that.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By keyhunter
    Jeff said:
    "keyhunter said:

"

"
    His congested nasal passage got on my funny bone immediately. Also, after a second play through I notice that there is a good 20 minutes of rolling with 5 men. I figure though, that things would get too cluttered, and too easy since you know...The squad AI actually kills things in this game, instead of being nothing less than a distraction. And of course that makes sure they can throw in another Asian guy for us to follow for the first chapter in Gears 3.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm

You must be Asian because you certainly bring up the whole "omg stop killing the Asian soldiers" thing every possible chance you get.

commodore64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By commodore64

I was actually saddened by the mercy killing scene. Pretty much the only scene where I felt anything as most of the time Dom's acting was horrendous.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Through that whole scene of Dom's wife I was like... "Is he gonna do it?", "Oh he's gonna do it."* Sees pistol. "Damn, he's gonna do it". ......later.........."That's kinda fucked up".

Yeah, but I really didn't care for Tai that much. He seemed too serious for this game. Gears needs crazy over the top characters.

Light_Geiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Light_Geiger

Games like The Darkness, Half-Life ep. 2, Bioshock, and Fallout 3 and many more focus on story first. so those actually got to me. Gears 2 story was all over the place in my opinion. If epic planned ahead and put more story seeds in the first game it wouldn't feel as forced as it does here. Hell, the company that does the commercials for this game (the mad world trailer, and the new one) had more feeling in them than I got from both games.

That said, did anyone miss the scares from the first game? I was hoping for more from the bezerkers, those sections were cool and made BOTH me and my friend panic in co-op. hoping RE5 will capure that feeling again because gears 2 dropped the ball. though that my opinion I could be wrong...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm

All over the place? I'd call it diverse and exciting.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sorta bummed the Berserkers didn't show up at all.  I mean, c'mon.  They were part of the experience, that first time. 

drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By drew
    Prime20 said:
    "Well not ot be the bitch of the group but i shed one friggin man tear for Dom and maria, that part was just deep man. Dude spends the past 14 years searching for his wife, only to find her, see her in that crack head state, then blow her brains out.
    Hell it was the only reason he kept going.

But Tai eating a shotgun just made me loose any sort of respect i had for him. I thought he was going to be a big samoan bad ass but he ended up shooting him self.  I just have a thing when it comes to suicide, so thats just me.
    So it was wrong for Tai to kill himself but Dom shooting Maria (which, under the circumstances, is assisted suicide) is sad?
    I think Tai shooting himself was showing how fucked up the things they did to him were so when Maria had been through the same ordeal, but wasn't a soldier and "prepared" for that, it was even worse.
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By bwooduhs

I didnt care when tai died. He was annoying. They tried to make him all spiritual but spiritual people dont have huge muscles and guns.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GioVANNI

Tai's suicide pissed me off, and Maria made me sad.  :(

Muze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Muze

I thought they were really powerful moments actually. Tai killing himself was pretty crazy because Marcus said he was tough to kill, and the fact that the Locust were able to torture him so much that he took his own life is pretty intense. Also, with Maria (Dom's wife) I thought it helped add to the storyline because we got to see some heart in the franchise that we didn't get to see with the first title.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By samcotts

They're probably the two most memorable and impacting scenes in Gears 2 for me.

The Maria scene was very chilling, one of my favourite scenes in any video game, and I thought they pulled it off brilliantly.
    r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By r0k1ll

I felt more sorry for Tai than for Maria

FreshPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By FreshPrince

I thought they were great, the campaign was awesome

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Jeff said:
    "keyhunter said:

"

"
    Me too but I do miss Dizzy. "YEEHAWW!" 
    hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hungrynun
    GioVANNI said:
    "Tai's suicide pissed me off, and Maria made me sad.  :("
    This.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By DARKIDO07
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "Jeff said:
    "keyhunter said:

"

"
    Me too but I do miss Dizzy. "YEEHAWW!" "
    Dizzy is my favorite character, I hope he escaped and will come back in the 3rd game.  Anyway I thought both scenes were pretty fucked (in a good way) up in their own right. Gears 2 defiantly did the story way better than the first one did.
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sarnecki

What exactly happened to Tai and Maria?  They were being milked or something?

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43  Edited By dsplayer1010
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "I thought  it was very well done but you have to have an attachment to the characters in the first place. "

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I thought the Maria death scene was very beautifully done. I imagine that's one moment in gaming that I may never forget. I was totally touched. I thought the whole execution of it was rather brilliant and powerful. You got Marcus interrupting the moment, and you're wondering why he would interrupt such a romantic scene. He does it again and then the game starts to reveal the truth to you, and suddenly it all makes sense. I loved it. I don't think it seemed forced at all. Then afterwards, it effectively put me into a Tony Montana-like rage where I wanted to kill every last locust I could find.

As for Tai, I have no complaints with it. I thought he was pretty rad, so I was a little bummed about it, but I thought seeing one of the toughest Gears resort to that definitely had an impact on the game's story and just how terrible the Locust are.

Avatar image for daeth_on_demand
    Daeth_On_Demand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Daeth_On_Demand

I guess it depends on what type of person you are.

If you're just playing the campaign for achievements or to shoot locust all of the time, then I guess those scenes wouldn't have any effect on you.

If, however, you actually enjoy things I like to call story and plot, then maybe you would enjoy those particular scenes.

Seriously, I thought they were pretty well done for a video game.  Maybe it's because I played straight through the campaign, so it had more of an building emotional effect, but I thought those scenes were pretty dec. for a video game.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Captain_Insano

I thought the Maria cutscene was well done. With Dom seeing her as he remembered her and then seeing her as she really was. Although him crying and holding the gun to her, hearing the gunshot as Marcus walked off was a huge cliche. Also he bounced back from that experience fairly quickly. More yelling and insanity in attacking the enemy would have been nice. Tai was such a small insignificant character after all the hype and I also felt no connection to him. His mysticism was a pain in the arse as someone else said. He was not as bad arse as he should have been

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Illmatic

I wouldn't go as far as to call it comical, but the scenes definitely did not hit as well as they probably were hoping they would. I did feel a twinge of sadness when I realize a mercy kill on Dom's wife would be coming but the atmosphere of Gears has never really allowed for much emotional weight. We're talking about a game with chainsaw duels, "ten shitloads" of locust, a dual chainsaw wielding predator, an over the top black soldier/sports star, "A GIANT WORM!", and the comical death speech and killing off of yet another Carmine leading me to believe this will become tradition as much as the threesomes are in God of War thanks to the convenient "four brothers." Excuse me if I was unable to set my mind to "take this game serious" during those few and far between moments.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.