The Ghost in the Shell wiki last edited by BlackLagoon on 02/24/14 05:06AM
View full history
Ghost in the shell is an action orientated game for the Playstation, released in 1997 for Japan and North America and 1998 for PAL territories. The players character is a Fuchikoma tank pilot carrying out clandestine operations for Section 9. There are twelve missions available, a number of boss battles and a training mode that encompasses most of the gamplay elements you are likely to find in the story missions. The game also contains over thirty minutes of cutscenes produced by Production I.G, the studio responsible for the Ghost in the Shell films and television series, with the voice actors of the 90s anime movie reprising their roles.
The gameplay of Ghost in the Shell differs from most shooters in that the player controls a versatile walking tank, capable of scaling walls, clambering across ceilings and sliding around on retractable wheels. The extra mobility provided allows for a higher level of stage complexity than most "run n' gun" games, though apart from the training missions and some boss battles, it's rare that a player is required to exploit this. Some missions are "on rails" giving the player limited control over the Fuchikoma beyond slight movements, jumping and shooting. The players armament consists of machine guns and multiple-lock missles fired by tapping or holding down the "shoot" button respectively. In addition, the player has a limited number of screen-clearing grenades. There are no upgrades or new weapons to be found in the game.
The training mode is worthy of special mention, providing the player with six Metal Gear-esque VR senarios and a number of unlockable videos dependent on completion ranks. All of the Fuchikoma's abilities need to be utilised if the player wishes to complete these missions with the highest score.
A soundtrack featuring renowned artists primarily known for techno, acid and tech-house was released in 1997 by Sony Music Entertainment Japan. The soundtrack was released in four versions: A single disc offering "Ghost in the Shell:Megatech Body CD." and a two disc variant "Ghost in the Shell: Megatech Body CD. Ltd.". The two disc variant contains all tracks featured in the game and is thus considered the definitive version. Additionally, two vinyls were produced "Megatech Body. Vinyl Ltd." and "Megatech Body. Picture Vinyl. Ltd.".
Name: Ghost in the Shell Megatech Body.Cd.Ltd.
Total length: 2:04:17
- Takkyu Ishino - "Ghost In The Shell" (6:45)
- Mijk van Dijk - "Firecracker" (5:26)
- Brother from Another Planet - "Ishikawa Surfs The System" (3:59)
- Hardfloor - "Spook & Spell (Fast Version)" (5:53)
- Westbam - " Featherhall" (6:43)
- Joey Beltram - "The Vertical" (6:29)
- Scan X - "Blinding Waves" (4:45)
- The Advent - "The Searcher Part II" (3:28)
- BCJ - "Spectre" (5:47)
- Dave Angel - "Can U Dig It" (7:18)
- Derrick May - "To Be Or Not To Be (Off The Cuff Mix)" (7:02)
- Mijk van Dijk - " Fuchi Koma" (5:10)
- The Advent - "Down Loader" (6:20)
- BJC - "Thanato" (3:28)
- Westbam - "Moonriver" (8:10)
- Mijk Van Dijk - "Brain Dive" (4:49)
- Hardfloor - "Spook & Spell (Slow Version)" (6:31)
- WestBam - " Die Dunkelsequenz" (7:34)
- Brother From Another Planet - " Section 9 Theme" (6:02)
- Dave Angel - "So High" (5:36)
- Derrick May - "To Be or Not to Be (The Mix of a Mix Mix" (7:04)