Trio Of Grand Theft Auto Titles To Hit The Mac This Year

• 136 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Almost a decade after it originally hit store shelves, Grand Theft Auto III will finally see its debut on the Mac, according to a surprise reveal by Rockstar. But in even more exciting news, Rockstar says GTA III won't ship as a standalone product. It will instead be bundled in the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy pack, which includes Mac versions of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

This news comes via a FAQ column on Rockstar's Facebook page, and as a result of the unusual means of this announcement, no substantial details, including price, were dished out. The studio mentioned that more information will be provided via a "proper" reveal at a later date and that plans are in place to get the game out "later this year."      

Nice textures, bro.

I know this is a vibrant world filled with adults who want to wear diapers or dance on video with teddy bears, but I find it hard to believe that there's a single Mac user who's been refusing to purchase the GTA classics until they appeared natively on that platform. But then, so many Mac users are running on laptops that these older games might be just the ticket to run on lesser hardware.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Almost a decade after it originally hit store shelves, Grand Theft Auto III will finally see its debut on the Mac, according to a surprise reveal by Rockstar. But in even more exciting news, Rockstar says GTA III won't ship as a standalone product. It will instead be bundled in the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy pack, which includes Mac versions of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

This news comes via a FAQ column on Rockstar's Facebook page, and as a result of the unusual means of this announcement, no substantial details, including price, were dished out. The studio mentioned that more information will be provided via a "proper" reveal at a later date and that plans are in place to get the game out "later this year."      

Nice textures, bro.

I know this is a vibrant world filled with adults who want to wear diapers or dance on video with teddy bears, but I find it hard to believe that there's a single Mac user who's been refusing to purchase the GTA classics until they appeared natively on that platform. But then, so many Mac users are running on laptops that these older games might be just the ticket to run on lesser hardware.
#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

ha! i'd like to play GTA vice city again.

#3 Posted by Rokin (38 posts) -

a still no gta on steam for europe

#4 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Wow I didn't even know GTA 3 look that good. Anyways Congrats? Mack users.

#5 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Those games were great at the time, but they might just be too ugly to hold up. 

#6 Posted by DharmaBum (1048 posts) -

I'll probably pick this up if it's under $30. Otherwise, I already own all 3 on PS2.

#7 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

"I know this is a vibrant world filled with adults who want to wear diapers or dance on video with teddy bears "

Brad, what the fuck does that even mean?

#8 Posted by spiderworm (9 posts) -

Great to see them on yet another platform. Great games!

#9 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

Erm....kay. O.0

#10 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Ah, someone from the crew finally got out of bed.

#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

yay....

#12 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

If they are native ports and not that horrible Ciderized crap then maybe I will get them to replay them.

#13 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Oh kay?  

I mean, that's good that Mac users are getting these games, but it better be for like $10 new on Steam or something. You can probably get an old PS2 with these three games for like $30 I'm sure, so if you're dying to play these games, you have no excuses. 

But whatever, at least they're doing it.

#14 Posted by DarkS29 (74 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" ha! i'd like to play GTA vice city again. "
My thoughts exactly vice city sold me on this bundle
#15 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

"If I use three fingers and swipe to the right, that kills the prostitute.  If I make a pinching gesture, that collects the money she dropped on the street."

#16 Posted by sdornan (323 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
"

"I know this is a vibrant world filled with adults who want to wear diapers or dance on video with teddy bears "

Brad, what the fuck does that even mean?

"
Yeah, I have no idea.
#17 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

Hm, still hoping for an HD remake like they're doing on PS3.

#18 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Great! Mac users get to play completely out of date games. The typical Mac user will probably think these are the most modern games out.

#19 Edited by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -
@drhans said:

"Ah, someone from the crew finally got out of bed. "

Tested and Screened have been doing stuff all day, sir.  You've just been perusing the wrong sites. :P
#20 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

I'm sure any Mac user that enjoys GTA that much has already bought a Windows OS, as well as all of the GTA games for the PC. Good for the more casual gamer though.

#21 Posted by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

I knew they were doing something with these games because Lazlow posted an archive of all the radio ads from these games and the PSP games. Clearly R* had no reason to make that archive unless they were going to do something with the games. I expected a HD rerelease on PS3 like we've seen with God of War and Sly Cooper. Perhaps they are and just haven't revealed it yet. Seems like a waste of resources to make a mac version and only a mac version.

#22 Edited by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@iAmJohn: Ah, I meant the Giant Bomb crew. I keep up on Screened and Tested for sure. :) 

I hope some of them really did sleep in. They all deserve rest after yesterday's all-around awesomeness.
#23 Posted by Digi7alS3lf (84 posts) -

Depending on the price, i might give it a try. But no joystick means trouble i think

#24 Posted by edgefusion (94 posts) -

Oh man, day one! I'd love to play these on my laptop and FINALLY be able to use some mods.

#25 Posted by Anwar (853 posts) -
@iAmJohn: 
just read the whole sentence :D
#26 Posted by Saltank (188 posts) -

Been there, done that.

#27 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -
@mosespippy: Why do you think that? its already on every other platform.
#28 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

Kudos to Brad for wading through all the empty beer cans to go in to work today!

#29 Posted by shadyspace (457 posts) -

I'd be really interested in seeing the sales on this. Seems superfluous.

#30 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -
@Anwar said:
" @iAmJohn:  just read the whole sentence :D "

I tried.  I'm still incredibly confused.
#31 Posted by cassus (346 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: Pretty sure most typical mac users who have any interest in this game at all will have played this on the ps2 back in the day. It's not like mac users who like games don't have consoles... Most of them do. Some of them (me) even have PC's. 

Moot point right now though, cause PC gamers need a console to play rockstar games while they are still new anyways.
#32 Posted by Pop (2611 posts) -

ohhh yea gta san andreas I still haven't finished that yet, that game isn't easy.

#33 Posted by Crono (2644 posts) -

Finally, after holding out on purchasing these titles all these years for not being on the Mac I can experience next generation gaming!  I knew I wasn't crazy

#34 Posted by oliveshark (52 posts) -

If this comes out on steam I might just pick it up. It'll be fun on my imac, but a working work on my girlfriends macbook would be great! 

#35 Posted by trevorallengreen@gmail.com (23 posts) -

mac=/=games

#36 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Woo now i can play gta on my mac without doing some ghetto duel boot shit.

#37 Posted by Kyodra (138 posts) -

GTA IV coming out on Mac in 2015, you heard it here first.

#38 Posted by PJ (1143 posts) -

Wow, now the 0.0000001% of the world that haven't played the GTA III games can play them.

#39 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5382 posts) -

I really need to play all those games again.

#40 Posted by TheHBK (5466 posts) -

Id love to play San Andreas with the res turned all the way up and with better draw distance than what I got on the PS2.  That is the pinacle of GTA.

#41 Posted by Nekron99 (5 posts) -

Wow, that's awesome!  VC and SA were my faves in the series, and I've been starving for some Mac gaming!  Yay, Rockstar!

#42 Posted by shinluis (428 posts) -
@PJ said:
" Wow, now the 0.0000001% of the world that haven't played the GTA III games can play them. "
lol are you totally talking about me? 'Cause I do have a Mac and interestingly enough, I did not play any of the GTA games for some strange reason. 

(no, I was not refusing to purchase it until they appear natively on macs)   =D  
#43 Posted by donwoogie (119 posts) -

Damn you Rockstar!

Until now I had every GTA game on every console and my PC, now I have to get a Mac?!
Utter Hogwash!

#44 Posted by PJ (1143 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @drhans said:

"Ah, someone from the crew finally got out of bed. "

Tested and Screened have been doing stuff all day, sir.  You've just been perusing the wrong sites. :P "
That might be because those who are putting up shit on Screened and Tested today weren't actually at the party, except for Rorie who was at the midnight showing of REA3D and was probebly still drunk when he wrote the review(Not to say thats why it got a 1star review, more like thanks to him being drunk it got a 1star review). Also, Alex doesn't count because that new releases post was probebly writen a while age, he just pushed a button to push it to the site.
#45 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

I might pick it up

#46 Posted by HT101 (1151 posts) -

Nice to hear this but I already own 3 and Vice City for Xbox so I just need to find San Andreas somewhere for cheap.

#47 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

I think it's pretty cool that they are being release for Mac. I have some friends who are exclusively mac users that are not very into games, but would probably check this out if it had a nice price.

#48 Posted by MattDementous (103 posts) -

Macs finally get a few games....8 years later.

#49 Edited by dagas (2753 posts) -

It's because Macs have finally reached the point where they can run GTA3. (Macs aren't known for graphics power)

#50 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@drhans said:
" Ah, someone from the crew finally got out of bed. "
thats funny :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.