Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero 5

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

The fifth game in the core Guitar Hero franchise, and the third in the series from Activision and Neversoft. Though the game goes by the Guitar Hero moniker, it features full-band gameplay like its predecessor, Guitar Hero World Tour.

More Guitar Heroics

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Rock!
    Rock!
    While Guitar Hero's transition into the full-band format last year was kind of a bumpy one, it got a lot of things right, and it showed signs of Neversoft getting more comfortable with the franchise. We got a quick demo of Guitar Hero 5 at E3 from Neversoft's Allen Freese, along with several other members of the Neversoft team. The focus of the demo was on the new Party Play feature, though it also gave us a glimpse of a more visually refined Guitar Hero.

Before we got started, though, I had to ask the Neversoft guys about that name, Guitar Hero 5. After last year's World Tour, I fully expected the series to stay away from numbered iterations, though it sounds like, had it been Neversoft's choice, the last game would've been called Guitar Hero 4. Anyway, to the demo itself, we kicked off with a look at the Party Play mode and Santana's "No One to Depend On." The idea here is that any player can jump into a song at any time, and with any instrument, without disrupting the song itself. If a player is finding their current difficulty level overwhelming, they can change that on the fly as well. 

Aside from making for a smoother, more casual play experience, this will allow multiple people to play the same type of instrument at once. If you've got four vocalists, you can turn the game into a full-blown singalong; if, God forbid, you've got four drum kits handy, you can have your own digital drum circle. You can select the Party Play mode from a menu, though if you load up the game and just let it sit at the menu for a while, the Party Play mode will kick in on its own, jukebox-style. It's a feature that seems to go against the performance challenging focus that the series has taken on, and it seems like a really smart way to address the difficulty of putting together a perfect four piece. This ideology is extending into the main career as well, which you'll be able to play with any instrument, and with any number of players. 

But, lest you think Neversoft has gone, err, soft, Guitar Hero 5 will still bring the challenge, in the form of song-specific bonus challenges, which will reward you for completing specific, performance-based objectives in different songs. Allen Freese confirmed that DLC songs you've bought for World Tour will work with Guitar Hero 5, and while they won't have their own bonus challenges, you will be able to use them to complete sponsor challenges. We asked whether you'd be able to import the songs off the disc from World Tour, Rock Band-style, and while we mostly got a lot of hemming and hawing, it's something they said they were looking into.

Bass!
    Bass!
    We were also given a glimpse of Guitar Hero 5's competitive Rockfest mode, with a specific look athe the Momentum challenge. This is a score-based multiplayer mode where up to four players attack a song using the same instrument. For every twenty consecutive notes you can play successfully, the difficulty level will go up. For every three that you miss, though, the difficulty goes down. I've never been much for competitive Guitar Hero, but this seems like an interesting way to approach it.

Aside from the new play modes, what caught my attention most about Guitar Hero 5 was the look of the game. I felt like World Tour really lost a lot of the caricatured character of Guitar Hero III's art style, with recognizable characters like Axel Steel and Lars Ümlaüt looking like cosplay versions of themselves. This doesn't seem like it will be an issue for Guitar Hero 5, which already features more emotive characters and just generally looks sharper. There were touches like the look of the menu screens that just looked more thoughtfully put together than the slop of World Tour.

Every year that we get a new iteration, I feel like I'm ready to give up on these plastic instrument games. I wouldn't say that I'm feeling super pumped-up about Guitar Hero 5, but I think Neversoft is being smart about the changes and improvements it's making. We'll see how it all comes together soon enough, as the game's set for release on September 1st.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Rock!
    Rock!
    While Guitar Hero's transition into the full-band format last year was kind of a bumpy one, it got a lot of things right, and it showed signs of Neversoft getting more comfortable with the franchise. We got a quick demo of Guitar Hero 5 at E3 from Neversoft's Allen Freese, along with several other members of the Neversoft team. The focus of the demo was on the new Party Play feature, though it also gave us a glimpse of a more visually refined Guitar Hero.

Before we got started, though, I had to ask the Neversoft guys about that name, Guitar Hero 5. After last year's World Tour, I fully expected the series to stay away from numbered iterations, though it sounds like, had it been Neversoft's choice, the last game would've been called Guitar Hero 4. Anyway, to the demo itself, we kicked off with a look at the Party Play mode and Santana's "No One to Depend On." The idea here is that any player can jump into a song at any time, and with any instrument, without disrupting the song itself. If a player is finding their current difficulty level overwhelming, they can change that on the fly as well. 

Aside from making for a smoother, more casual play experience, this will allow multiple people to play the same type of instrument at once. If you've got four vocalists, you can turn the game into a full-blown singalong; if, God forbid, you've got four drum kits handy, you can have your own digital drum circle. You can select the Party Play mode from a menu, though if you load up the game and just let it sit at the menu for a while, the Party Play mode will kick in on its own, jukebox-style. It's a feature that seems to go against the performance challenging focus that the series has taken on, and it seems like a really smart way to address the difficulty of putting together a perfect four piece. This ideology is extending into the main career as well, which you'll be able to play with any instrument, and with any number of players. 

But, lest you think Neversoft has gone, err, soft, Guitar Hero 5 will still bring the challenge, in the form of song-specific bonus challenges, which will reward you for completing specific, performance-based objectives in different songs. Allen Freese confirmed that DLC songs you've bought for World Tour will work with Guitar Hero 5, and while they won't have their own bonus challenges, you will be able to use them to complete sponsor challenges. We asked whether you'd be able to import the songs off the disc from World Tour, Rock Band-style, and while we mostly got a lot of hemming and hawing, it's something they said they were looking into.

Bass!
    Bass!
    We were also given a glimpse of Guitar Hero 5's competitive Rockfest mode, with a specific look athe the Momentum challenge. This is a score-based multiplayer mode where up to four players attack a song using the same instrument. For every twenty consecutive notes you can play successfully, the difficulty level will go up. For every three that you miss, though, the difficulty goes down. I've never been much for competitive Guitar Hero, but this seems like an interesting way to approach it.

Aside from the new play modes, what caught my attention most about Guitar Hero 5 was the look of the game. I felt like World Tour really lost a lot of the caricatured character of Guitar Hero III's art style, with recognizable characters like Axel Steel and Lars Ümlaüt looking like cosplay versions of themselves. This doesn't seem like it will be an issue for Guitar Hero 5, which already features more emotive characters and just generally looks sharper. There were touches like the look of the menu screens that just looked more thoughtfully put together than the slop of World Tour.

Every year that we get a new iteration, I feel like I'm ready to give up on these plastic instrument games. I wouldn't say that I'm feeling super pumped-up about Guitar Hero 5, but I think Neversoft is being smart about the changes and improvements it's making. We'll see how it all comes together soon enough, as the game's set for release on September 1st.
    badgerT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By badgerT

Kewl

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TheKidNixon

That picture of the trio of drummers is pretty epic.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Mijati

Sounds kind of disappointing to be honest and is going for the more casual fans which thus of those who can actually play the game might not like.

captainawesomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By captainawesomo

Whatever. I'm done and done with music games. Their just a money siphon, I rather use my cash to buy something original and actually entertaining.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

To be honest, if it wasn't for The Beatles Rock Band, I think I would be skipping music peripheral games entirely this gen. I got pretty burned out with it all, and the games have been too expensive, though I was totally considering paying $250 for The Beatles Rock Band bundle anyway. I want it THAT bad.

I'm not too happy with the way Activision is milking the heck out of the series. I only played World Tour one time when a friend came over, and while I was digging a lot of the soundtrack, I felt pretty glad that I didn't let myself fork over the cash for it and all of its instruments. Also, while I think I'm pretty decent at Guitar Hero, I'm certainly no expert. I thought World Tour ramped up the difficulty quite a bit. Anyway, now that I'm getting a next-gen instrument set, I'll be renting probably all the GH games to come out, so I hope GH5 won't let me down.

Edit: Ha, I replied too this without even realizing that Ryan Davis wrote it.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By PLWolf

Sounds cool, I like the sound of the party mode. Now I just need to get me a GH Drum Set, getting tired of the RB1 drum set.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By coffeesash

'Number 5 is alive! Input, input!' etc.

sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sizu

I got tired of the whole music genre game last christmas.  In the end I didn't even pick up the Guitar Hero World Tour.  Money wasn't the issue it was purely down to the wind being completely blown out of my sail.  I just didn't have the desire to play on a plastic instrument again.

Ironically a plastic deck is more appealing to me just now as I think I will pick up DJ Hero after watching some of the videos from E3.  It is doubtful that I would consider buying this new GH, or RB Beatles.  However that is down to not liking that specific band.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darkjester74

Never got into this genre, simply because a game that demands I buy a specialized peripheral is an automatic fail for me.  In the end its just a rhythm game, and there are better ones that are far less expensive, imho.  (i.e. Audiosurf)

@coffeesash: You win, sir.  /salute

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 drums kits is bound the fail while being the best drunk party evar

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ehh....I might be starting to think of buying this. The artist list is great and I....have 2 drum kits. That number will only grow.

kboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kboy

I'm all Guitar Hero'd out, thank you. I'll stick with Rock Band.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Afroman269

oh right more GH......*looks back at rock band's weekly update to have jaw drop at the awesome iron maiden songs that were released today.

UnheardWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UnheardWar

As someone who dislikes Rockband, I am very much looking forward to this.  Every iteration of the GH franchise has gotten a little better than the last.  Metallica was almost perfect (minus the fact it was Metallica, whom I can not stand). 

I do love Rockband's presentation and features.  I thoroughly dislike their highway and note chart systems.  The closer Guitar Hero gets to the presentation of Rockband's games, the happier I am!  So, while yes, Activision is milking the franchise, at least Neversoft is fully into making each one better than the last.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Media_Master

no thanks

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By skrutop

The Momentum challenges looks just as gimmicky as the battle mode stuff from GH3, though the Party Play feature sounds like a great idea.  I've played the GH:WT, GH:M, and GH:SH demos, and I just can't go back to the wonky-looking notecharts.  Rock Band's presentation is just cleaner all-around.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18  Edited By natetodamax

I love how people are bitching about the Left 4 Dead sequel coming too soon and yet Neversoft is just pumping out Guitar Hero's left and right.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

Those who complain about new rhythm games are actually just pissed off that they can't play on Expert.

@natetodamax said:
    " I love how people are bitching about the Left 4 Dead sequel coming too soon and yet Neversoft is just pumping out Guitar Hero's left and right. "
    Guitar Hero is an expected yearly franchise, and moreover, it's not Valve.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax
    @jakob187 said:
    " Those who complain about new rhythm games are actually just pissed off that they can't play on Expert.

@natetodamax said:
    " I love how people are bitching about the Left 4 Dead sequel coming too soon and yet Neversoft is just pumping out Guitar Hero's left and right. "
    Guitar Hero is an expected yearly franchise, and moreover, it's not Valve.
    "
    I've actually beaten every Guitar Hero on Expert except for III and Metallica (which I don't own). It's up to you to believe me or not.
    BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By BlackIrish05
    @UnheardWar said:
    "I do love Rockband's presentation and features.  I thoroughly dislike their highway and note chart systems.  The closer Guitar Hero gets to the presentation of Rockband's games, the happier I am! "

I feel exactly the same way
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By DukeTogo

Unless they actually feature songs that take advantage of multiple instruments like The Beatles' harmony mics and three guitars, then it's kind of pointless to be able to play the same track as 3 other people.  Aside from some lame competition of who is the bestest drummer at some bar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.