Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 1998

Take on the role of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the disastrous aftermath of an experiment gone wrong in the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Half Life scared me and I don't know what to do.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By WickedCestus

I recently picked up Half Life, it's two expansions, and Team Fortress Classic as a package on Steam for ten bucks. I had never played the original Half Life, but I had heard good things, so I wanted to check it out. I was playing through it fine, and kind of enjoying it, until I got to one certain part about an hour in. I'm in a cold storage room, and there are multiple head crabs roaming around as well as those things that are like head crabs but are bigger and shoot acid. I was walking along swatting at head crabs, when I turn around, and HOLY SHIT THERE IS AN ALIEN MONSTER RIGHT THERE. I literally jumped out of my chair screaming (as a 15 year old guy) and have not played since.   

Yeah, I'm a fucking wuss, but that scare is not the only reason I stopped playing. I have just got frustrated with the survival horror-y aspects of the game. I've never liked ammo-conservation, and never having enough ammo to reload my gun is just really annoying to me. Having to use my crowbar to hit these little crabs jumping at me and taking away ten percent of my health in the progress is a pain in the neck. I appreciate it's a classic, the same way I appreciate Resident Evil 4, but so far it's not a game for me. So, I have a few choices that I could take now and I want help from the GB community because duders talking about this game is mostly the reason I started playing it. 

A) Keep playing the game. 
     - Does it open up and give me more ammo and better guns later? 

B) Skip it and play the expansions 
     - Do they give you more ammo and better guns? 
     - Do I need the story from the original game to understand what's going on? 

C) Skip it all and play Half Life 2
     - Does it give me more ammo and better guns? 
     - Does the gravity gun really open it up and make it more shooter-y? 
     - Do I need the story of the original to understand what's going on? 

Thanks for the help, if you help.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Berezov

Play a nice and relaxing game like Dead Space.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Binman88

Godmode. That's what I think you should do.

Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Donkey

Sit back and enjoy a calm and light game like Condemned instead.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

As somebody who just went through the game, but finally completed it for the first time, just 2 months ago I can tell you a few things. 

C is probably your best choice. I was so scared of dieing in Half-Life that I saved every minute or so. After each encounter, before each room, etc. Sure you get a few better weapons, but new enemies appear. The expansions.... well, Opposing Force is pretty hard. Blue Shift is actually really boring. Basically the original HL is the same few hours repeated over and over, so if you liked what you've played then keep playing. Otherrwise don't worry too much about it. Even my other Half-Life enthusiast friend avoided the original because it was boring.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainObvious

So you are saying that it scared the dick out of you? I would reccomend skipping to HL2, it's more shooter-y but some parts can and will scare the dick out of you.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By FirePrince

Half-Life still scares me.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WickedCestus
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " As somebody who just went through the game, but finally completed it for the first time, just 2 months ago I can tell you a few things.  C is probably your best choice. I was so scared of dieing in Half-Life that I saved every minute or so. After each encounter, before each room, etc. Sure you get a few better weapons, but new enemies appear. The expansions.... well, Opposing Force is pretty hard. Blue Shift is actually really boring. Basically the original HL is the same few hours repeated over and over, so if you liked what you've played then keep playing. Otherrwise don't worry too much about it. Even my other Half-Life enthusiast friend avoided the original because it was boring. "
    Well, there goes ten bucks down the drain! Haha I guess I still have Team Fortress Classic to play.  
    Thanks for the help.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
     @supermike6:
    lets just say that Half-Life by today's standards is a really annoying game. My advice is that you play HL2 and beat it with it's episodes, and THEN go back to 1. no problem there 

@Berezov said:
    " Play a nice and relaxing game like Dead Space. "
    @Donkey said:
    " Sit back and enjoy a calm and light game like Condemned instead. "
    you guys are the devil's minions  
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By demontium
    @supermike6:
    This is kinda of a stupid thread, no offense. The answer is too clear: continue playing the game unless you really feel it will harm you. 

Look, HL is too good of a game to miss out on. As a 15 year old male, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it, and if you are, you will eventually get used to it, as there are only a few parts in HL that could be considered scary. 

Trust me, just spend a couple more hours with it and you will regret ever putting it down. And if you really cannot handle it, its your loss.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @supermike6 said:
    " @Vinchenzo said:
    " As somebody who just went through the game, but finally completed it for the first time, just 2 months ago I can tell you a few things.  C is probably your best choice. I was so scared of dieing in Half-Life that I saved every minute or so. After each encounter, before each room, etc. Sure you get a few better weapons, but new enemies appear. The expansions.... well, Opposing Force is pretty hard. Blue Shift is actually really boring. Basically the original HL is the same few hours repeated over and over, so if you liked what you've played then keep playing. Otherrwise don't worry too much about it. Even my other Half-Life enthusiast friend avoided the original because it was boring. "
    Well, there goes ten bucks down the drain! Haha I guess I still have Team Fortress Classic to play.  Thanks for the help. "
    I completely disagree with the above poster. Now, I haven't played HL since it originally came out, but I certainly recall it getting more shootery and awesome the further you progress. About halfway through the game, you'll be fighting not just headcrabs and headcrab zombies, but a badass military task force come to cover it all up. And yes, you'll have great fucking weapons to fight them with.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

Scared? By a video game?! Let me laugh even harder.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By august

A) 

You wuss. 

Don't worry about dying so much. It's gonna happen. 

Also, yes there are many, many awesome weapons to collect over the course of the game.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @MurderByDeath said:
    " @supermike6 said:
    " @Vinchenzo said:
    Well, there goes ten bucks down the drain! Haha I guess I still have Team Fortress Classic to play.  Thanks for the help. "
    I completely disagree with the above poster. Now, I haven't played HL since it originally came out, but I certainly recall it getting more shootery and awesome the further you progress. About halfway through the game, you'll be fighting not just headcrabs and headcrab zombies, but a badass military task force come to cover it all up. And yes, you'll have great fucking weapons to fight them with. "
    And? I played it just a few months ago like I said. I also mentioned you fight more enemies, but they're lame and because this is an old game have no reaction to your shots. Regardless of where you are, basic weapons like the SMG will still be your fall-back weapons. Some new weapons come along but the ammo isn't always there. In fact you're always worried you won't have enough ammo for the next encounter. As the game advances it does't get more awesome, just more tedious because once those soldiers come along you have to worry about being ambushed. In a game with limited health that drops rapidly such as Half-Life, it's not fun fighting enemies with guns. Eventually those little ninjas come along, but unlike in Opposing Forces, the original only has a few small sections. Just for the record I played on the starting difficulty of medium throughout. If TC wants to enjoy the game you could probably drop it down to easy. 

P.S. The level with the little railcar is still the lamest level ever.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't know it was possible to be scared by HL. Get over it, it's too good to pass up.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

Wow, you suck. And you make me aggressive. "Half Life 2 is difficult, I wanna more guns and ammo pl0x". Ugh.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WickedCestus
    I've decided to restart the game on easy, just to get less frustrated. If it's as good as people say it is, I guess I'll be able to get over the problems I have with it.  

@Meowayne
    said:
    " Wow, you suck. And you make me aggressive. "Half Life 2 is difficult, I wanna more guns and ammo pl0x". Ugh. "

I've never played Half Life 2.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Lol head crabs is the least of your worries buddy. Later on you deal with some shit that would scare the shit out of you. 

I say keep playing dude. It's a great game and it shouldn't be passed up by anybody! 

Oh wait...seems you switched to easy. Good luck! 

Edit: Oh yeah and quicksave like every 5 seconds and you'll be good to go.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By jkz

Whoa. I never knew that Half-Life was actually considered frightening. I never found either Half-Life 1 or 2 frightening, so I can't really address that part.

As for your issues with ammo conservation, yes, Half-Life 2 is more shooter-y (in that it provides you with more ammo, and is more focused on just...shooting shit), so if that's what you're looking for, then I'd say go ahead.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aus_azn

C. Literally, your best bet is to play Half Life 2, and watch "Freeman's Mind" for the entire story of Half Life 1. Because he's funny, it takes the edge off of the scariness.

tnecniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tnecniv
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " So you are saying that it scared the dick out of you? I would reccomend skipping to HL2, it's more shooter-y but some parts can and will scare the dick out of you. "
    We don't go to Ravenholm anymore.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By galiant

The original Half-Life scared me too, I was about eleven or twelve at the time and I did not expect a game that begun so innocently to turn into such an awesome (and at times terrifying) game!

You should definitely keep playing it, it's a real piece of gaming history. Countless games since have been inspired by what Half-Life presented.

...and Half-Life 2...one word. Ravenholm.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#24  Edited By EpicSteve

Wow, really guy?

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Oni
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Wow, really guy? "
    This. A friend of mine had a similar thing with Bioshock. He thought it had too many jump scare type things and he doesn't like that, apparently. His loss, but it just annoys me. Such a dumb reason to not play one of this generation's best games!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been scared by a videogame.  Never. That doesn't mean that I don't like them, though.

Scary movies don't scare me either, however.  Except David Lynch films.  I couldn't fall asleep for about a week after I saw Eraserhead, and same story with Inland Empire.  Yikes. 

Back OT:  Stop being a pussy.  I've never actually played all the way through HL (it's just too old now, I can't get into it.  I've been spoiled by new advancements in FPS's).  Don't get me wrong, I recently played through MGS1 again for shits and gigs, so it's not all the fact that it's old.  But seriously, if because you're scared is the only reason you're not playing it, you need to grow a pair.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Demyx

lol, you won't be able to play Half-life 2 then. If its really that bad, just put god mode on. I'd rather you cheat and finish the game, then to completely give up.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meltac
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM
    @supermike6:
    Play Dead Space. And no, from the sound of it, you won't like it too much. Really, the only thing I liked about the first Half Life game was the atmosphere from the beginning of the game when you're on the tram. Other than that, it's not that fun of a game anymore. And yeah, a lot of people kept saying that it was scary around the time it came out and so on, but I never found that it was scary one bit. It doesn't even cross my mind.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By R3Qui4M

HL2 Ravenholm has gotta be the most scariest level ever.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ineedaname

Just enable the console, sv_cheats 1, god_mode 1.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ineedaname

Just enable the console, sv_cheats 1, god_mode 1.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By s10129107

If you want to experience the game but dont want to deal with ammo conservation either 
    A) Lower the difficulty. 
    B) Use a cheat code.  (ie spawn more ammo) 
    C) Man up and play this amazing game as it was intended.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yinstarrunner

Wow, really, guy?  It takes two fucking pistol shots to kill headcrabs.  The game gives you PLENTY of ammo to deal with whatever it throws at you.  Not to mention that headcrabs are the easiest enemy in the game to dodge.

Stop being such a fucking pussy, dude.  Grow up.  It's just a video game.  Remember to quicksave often and explore around constantly for ammo caches.  If you can't beat half-life because you're too scared then I've lost respect for you as a gamer.  It's people like you that make developers dumb down games excessively these days.  

Finish Half-life.  After you're done with that, play and beat a STALKER game.  That will wean you off of this horrible "this game is too scary to finish" mentality.

Half_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Half_Life

Half-Life gets more shooter-y in the middle section of the game. Ignore the morons who are saying it sucks compared to today's games. It inspired them all, it's pretty the ultimate single player first-person shooter in my eyes.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mbradley1992

I say if you like what you have played so far, go for it. If not, don't stress it too much. Yes, it is a fundamental block for FPS and Sci-Fi games to this day, but playing video games is about having fun. Some people think being scared is a fun rush, some people don't get scared, and some people hate scary or creepy stuff period. If you fall into the latter, then skip it. A game should not be "Man up and play it". It should be fun, and if you aren't enjoying it, there is no point in forcing yourself through it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Milkman

Half Life has aged pretty horribly. I say just skip it.

Also, if that scared you, definitely don't play Half Life 2.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TomA

watch Freeman's Mind, then after your hooked on that(trust me you will be hooked) play the first game as THAT character, if that makes any sense. Makes it alot funnier and more enjoyable. I had the same problem, but i recently bought and played through HL1 Source, and putting the Freemans Mind voice into the game made it so much better.

blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blazerx9x
    @Berezov: rofl
    qwerty000106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By qwerty000106

1. Im playing it recently, the most freckyest thing was when i was playing DeathMatch with my little bro (yer i know, its illegal - but portable) and i come round the corner and boom, zap and instant death. im 14 and i freaked out
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Berezov said:
    " Play a nice and relaxing game like Dead Space. "
    Rofl I actually didn't get scared from Dead Space it was more of an action adventure game for me, weird eh? :P
    amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By amoremono1
    @supermike6:   I know Im a month late to the party, but if youre still debating, Id do this; sit on it and wait for this to come out.  Youve already got a source steam game, so itll be free....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.