Halloween Gaming

#1 Posted by midnightsandwich (25 posts) -

Hey,

long time reader, first time poster. With Halloween coming round the corner, I fancy diving in and playing some Halloween games as well as watching some films. I'm slightly less keen on the film idea after thinking watching Teethwould be hilariously ironic. So far on my shelf I've got Alan Wake (which I'm probably doing a huge disservice by having not played yet) and the latest Alone in The Dark (I don't think I want to re-experience that!) I was wondering, what are you playing for Halloween this year? Any suggestions?

cheers

#2 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (725 posts) -

Trains Vs Zombies 2.

Not even joking.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Dead Island is a very underrated game, it's genially scary and genuinely fun.

#4 Posted by Mitch0712 (453 posts) -

Left 4 Dead, The Walking Dead, Costume Quest, Amnesia, STALKER, Killing Floor, Dead Rising, Dead Space, Trine

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

I'm working so I won't be playing anything on Halloween but tonight I'll be playing some halo anniversary or whatever the remake is called.

#6 Posted by L4Dplaya19103 (39 posts) -

The red dead redemption DLC Undead Nightmare was great if your in the mood for some old fashioned zombie movie feel.

#7 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Jumping back into Alan Wake. Still a great atmosphere.

#8 Edited by Redbullet685 (6024 posts) -

I'll be playing ACIII. It's not a Halloween game, perhaps, but it comes out on the 30th, and I imagine I'll be playing it religiously until I finish it.

Edit: Since L4D2 is $5 on Steam, I picked that up and will be playing that as well.

#9 Edited by Jeust (10473 posts) -

Personally I'm going through Siren: Blood Curse and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I recomend these games. Also Deadly Premonition, Shadows of the Damned, Parasite Eve, Catherine, Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0, Lone Survivor, Amnesia, Cold Fear, L4D 1 and 2, Alone in the Dark, Limbo, Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4, FEAR, Bioshock, Clive Barker's Undying, Home...

#10 Posted by Nightriff (4910 posts) -

Silent Hill 2 is probably the only horror game I'm going to get too and I don't know if I'll be able to beat before Halloween with my schedule, I only want to play it at night, in the dark, with headphones if possible to let it's atmosphere creep me out.

#11 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1232 posts) -

I have been playing Resident Evil 4. It is the first RE game that I have played, still early on in the game but the controls are very old feeling (aiming with the Left Stick feels really weird).

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
  • The Next BIG Thing
  • Still Life
  • Still Life 2
#13 Posted by Timnoldzim (86 posts) -

I always love playing Resident Evil. Obviously there are a lot of other horror games out there that would be good (Slender is another one), but I think the first RE really has that unique "Halloweeny" feel, if that makes any sense.

#14 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

Probably Persona 2. I intend to buy it today.

Seems fitting, in a way.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

Maybe a second playthrough of Hotline Miami? That sounds fitting

#16 Posted by bartok (2417 posts) -

I was planning on playing Silent Hill 2 but I was walking my dog earlier and I was attacked my some crazy woman. She bit the shit out of my arm and I think the wounds might be infected. I just feel so cold and hungry. Do you think she was hopped up on those bath salts or had the rabies?

#17 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

@bartok said:

I was planning on playing Silent Hill 2 but I was walking my dog earlier and I was attacked my some crazy woman. She bit the shit out of my arm and I think the wounds might be infected. I just feel so cold and hungry. Do you think she was hopped up on those bath salts or had the rabies?

Wait what.

#18 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

I started Dead Space last night. Been meaning to play it for a while. Don't really like creepy/scary games, but I like it so far.

#19 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Kinda off topic, dose anyone remember if Black and White did anything neat for Halloween, I know at Easter your creatures footprints would turn to Easter Eggs.

I also probably have a lot of XBOX games to play.

#20 Posted by Giefcookie (582 posts) -

Most likely Xenoblade Chronicles or Borderlands, If I finish one of those before it I might start up Dishonored. Maybe AC3 but I might wait for the PC version.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6322 posts) -

Going to finish Sleepy Dawgz and my replay of Dead Space (I'm enjoying it a lot more the second time), and have a bit of a horror game grab bag for Halloween night itself. I shan't sleep until I can't sleep!

#22 Edited by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

RAGE. Even though it's not very scary. I've got Guild Wars 2 coming in the mail. That has some sort of Halloween-themed event going on in it from what I understand.

I also installed Amnesia with the intentions of playing through it after years of it sitting in my library but for some reason I can't get more than 30 fps with everything set on high, so that's kind of turned me off of it.

#23 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

Thanks to the lovely folk over at valve, me and some buds will be playing one drunk ass session of Left 4 Dead 2, followed by as much walking dead season 2 as we can muster until we pass out

#24 Posted by me3639 (1725 posts) -

Played through most of Infamous Festival of Blood today. Great idea with poor execution. Totally disappointed.

#25 Posted by Redsox44 (481 posts) -

Team Fortress 2- It's very scary

#26 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I did The Walking Dead and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for part 5

#27 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

What's with everyone recommending the least scary games? It's Halloween you people! Play White Day.

#28 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

I've been doing my Halloween gaming throughout the month. I've played inFamous: Festival of Blood, Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, and Costume Quest. Also, although not strictly Halloween-themed, I'm finding that the Lovecraftian influences behind the Penny Arcade games makes them feel pretty appropriate.

#29 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Dead Island is a very underrated game, it's genially scary and genuinely fun.

Wait, is this some kind of typo, or do you actually mean genially scary? Because genial means 'warmly and pleasantly cheerful'...is that what you meant to say?

#30 Posted by wemibelec90 (1545 posts) -

I have a bunch of PS2 horror games that I've been working my way through. On the day itself, I've been considering doing a long stream (9-12 hours) of a couple of them, Fatal Frame 2 in particular. Very excited for most of that stuff.

#31 Posted by midnightsandwich (25 posts) -

@Nightriff: How does Silent Hill 1 hold up these days? I never got round to playing the series, do the games have an ongoing story or is it all individual.

@Dagbiker: I have never heard of Still Life, is it a good series?

Thanks for the suggestions

#32 Posted by Castiel (2528 posts) -
#33 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

im playing deadspace 1 and 2 in one sitting then watching Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3

#34 Posted by believer258 (11628 posts) -

On accident, I felt an itching for space-horror this month so I bought Doom 3 BFG and completed that, and now I'm playing Dead Space 1 and then 2 on my PC. Gee, I thought those games ran smoothly on consoles but 60 on PC's makes the console versions look sluggish.

So, anyway, none of those games are genuinely scary but they all have their moments.

#35 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@midnightsandwich: Its an adventure game, made in 2005, so the graphics aren't the greatest. But if you like adventure games its not bad. The second one spoils the end of the first one, so if you care anything about spoilers you might want to play the first one, first.

#36 Posted by bartok (2417 posts) -

@Trav said:

@bartok said:

Wait what.

Little update: I went to the emergency room and it was the damnedest thing. The doctor had a hard time finding a pulse and that my temperature had dropped from the typical 98.5 degrees to 72. The place was swamped so he just stitched up the bites, gave me a tetanus shot and told be to come back if I take a turn for the worse. In the waiting room I played Resident Evil Revelations and I must say it is way more enjoyable then the RE 6 demo. I have this strange craving for raw meat not like steak tar tar but more like organ meat. Is that normal?

#37 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

@bartok said:

@Trav said:

@bartok said:

Wait what.

Little update: I went to the emergency room and it was the damnedest thing. The doctor had a hard time finding a pulse and that my temperature had dropped from the typical 98.5 degrees to 72. The place was swamped so he just stitched up the bites, gave me a tetanus shot and told be to come back if I take a turn for the worse. In the waiting room I played Resident Evil Revelations and I must say it is way more enjoyable then the RE 6 demo. I have this strange craving for raw meat not like steak tar tar but more like organ meat. Is that normal?

Oooooh, okay. That's totes norms bro. Just eat your red meats and you'll be back to normal real quick.

#38 Posted by midnightsandwich (25 posts) -

@Dagbiker: 2005 graphics are fine by me, my laptop can't handle much. I'd definitely play it in order, I'll check it out sometime. I read that Still Life is a sequel to a game called Post Mortem? Should I check that out first?

@bartok:

#39 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@midnightsandwich: I haven't played Post Mortem, and it only loosely ties into the fiction of that game, so if you don't you will still be fine.

#40 Posted by midnightsandwich (25 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Alright cool, I'll be sure to check it out sometime, thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.