Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Indigo Prophecy

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 16, 2005

Indigo Prophecy is a mystery-driven action/adventure game that harkens back to the point-and-click era. The game incorporates rhythm mini-games at key points as you try to figure out why you murdered a stranger in a local diner.

Well, the remaster came out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Edit - If you haven't played this game before, there will be spoilers below, so don't read if you don't want it spoiled.

Anyone here know how it is? I already have the original on Steam, so I'm not sure if it's worth getting again. I just got on Steam, and though I saw rumors it was coming, I didn't know it was going to be out already. I liked this game, the only thing I really didn't like was the abrupt relationship between the two main characters in the end, and the whole 'matrix' thing didn't bother me so much, though I'd agree it was a bit crazy compared to the rest of the game. Heavy Rain and Beyond I hadn't played. Heavy Rain I wanted to coming up to its release, and then beyond, but some years after, when I was thinking about perhaps getting it, I watched some YouTube videos and the voice acting just turned me off. Beyond is also I game I was somewhat interested in before release, but never got it because some of the negative talk, but also from some of it that I saw. I'd probably get it if it was a remaster itself honestly... I say this because I'd feel weird to buy this remaster because I hadn't played those latest ones, and I already have it. How about all of you?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

It doesn't seem be that much of a remaster. It's the exact same with some new textures that don't look that different and the uncensored patch that has been around forever.

I'm of the opinion that all of David Cage's games are bad but this one is saved by how fucking ridiculous it gets. You become Vampire Goku and fly around punching people because... Aztecs?.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@corevi: That's true. I liked this game enough, though I don't know about Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

In some way, I still can't believe how stupid the final...80% of this game is. The first like, 30 minutes are actually kind of promising! Picking your way through a crime scene in a diner where first you're the guy who did the murder, then you're the detective, was actually pretty clever!

Like, make fun of Kojima all you want, but at least he is using MGS as a vehicle to make whatever the fuck weird points about technology and information control and free will. Fahrenheit is just a nonsense story where the main character becomes shitty Neo and the Mayans are fighting the Internet for control of the world or something.

Sorry if I'm spoiling this game for anyone who hasn't played it yet and has been waiting for this remaster to play it, but Jesus Christ, DON'T PLAY IT. It's so bad. Go play any of the recent Telltale episodic games instead; at least you'll probably care about what happens to one or more of the characters, and the story might make a lick of sense.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@corevi said:

It doesn't seem be that much of a remaster. It's the exact same with some new textures that don't look that different and the uncensored patch that has been around forever.

I'm of the opinion that all of David Cage's games are bad but this one is saved by how fucking ridiculous it gets. You become Vampire Goku and fly around punching people because... Aztecs?.

It almost gets "so bad it's good" because the game takes itself seriously even when all that Matrix shit happens. But in the end I just thought it was terrible. Fuck you David Cage, you can't write for shit.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: It would be nice if you could put a spoiler warning in the OP. Didn't expect a thread about this remaster to have everyone discussing the ending of the game. :/

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@joshwent: That's not really my job to do, as I couldn't have predicted they'd do it, so it's really up to them to do that isn't it? I never spoiled anything myself, so you should have brought it up to those that did spoil it. It's just a weird request, because that's like asking everyone that's talking about a specific game to point out that there's going to be spoilers, but alright, I'll edit and do that.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Corevi
    @joshwent said:

@ntm: It would be nice if you could put a spoiler warning in the OP. Didn't expect a thread about this remaster to have everyone discussing the ending of the game. :/

1. It's a 10 year old game at this point

2. The final act of the game is so batshit crazy that every discussion about this game has to involve it

3. No one has actually spoiled the ending because the ending is completely uncomprehensible. I've played the game and watched 2 separate LPs of it and still have no clue what actually happens at the end of this game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

@joshwent: That's not really my job to do, as I couldn't have predicted they'd do it, so it's really up to them to do that isn't it? I never spoiled anything myself, so you should have brought it up to those that did spoil it. It's just a weird request, because that's like asking everyone that's talking about a specific game to point out that there's going to be spoilers, but alright, I'll edit and do that.

In my defense, the first sentence or so of my post makes it pretty clear that I may talk about how unbelievably bad I think most of the later parts of the game are. But yeah, on some level, people NEED TO KNOW how bad that game is. Spoiler tags would just keep people from the truth.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I wonder if the remaster will add back the parts that were censored out of the US version. Indigo Prophecy kinda is one of those games I've probably jumped into for about 30 minutes two times a year for 10x years. I'll probably get to beating it when I'm a senile old man at this rate.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Endgame spoilers: *loud, prolonged fart noise*

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshwent

@ntm said:

I never spoiled anything myself, so you should have brought it up to those that did spoil it.

When you said, "I liked this game, the only thing I really didn't like was the abrupt relationship between the two main characters in the end, and the whole 'matrix' thing ...", although you were being vague, it's revealing things about the end of the game that I've been trying to avoid. I'm not trying to be excessively whiny, and I know people get pissed off at anyone yelling, "Spoiler Alert!" especially about old games, but what you said in the OP was just a little too much info that I wouldn't have expected in a thread about a remaster of the game.

Thanks a bunch for putting that warning in your first post, and sorry if I sound like a dick. :)

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InternetDotCom

Indigo Prophecy is bad and you should totally play it.

It has one hell of a basketball scene

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quarters

Indigo Prophecy is a cool freakin' game. However, I like Quantic Dream a lot more than others seem to. Popped the remaster in for a second, looks pretty rad. Has full controller support. The textures aren't crazy new, but they just look a little sharper. Support for higher resolutions. Also, it's only $10.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the remaster will add back the parts that were censored out of the US version. Indigo Prophecy kinda is one of those games I've probably jumped into for about 30 minutes two times a year for 10x years. I'll probably get to beating it when I'm a senile old man at this rate.

It does add the censored scenes back in but there's been a patch to do that since the game first released. It's literally just opening an ini file and changing USmode=1 to 0.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something tells me you'll have more fun watching Two Best Friends play the game than actually playing it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

You know, I'm still okay never playing Indigo Prophecy.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

one play through of this game is enough plus you already own a copy so i say hold on to your money. i think heavy rain is better so i'd give that a shot even with all its voice issues. haven't played beyond but i get the feeling all their games are go-through-it-once type of games cause you gotta be able to deal with all the problems with the scripts. giving it another run just exposes them even further.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

This is precisely the sort of game I'd love to watch, say, Vinny & Alex play through in its entirety. I know Alex has already played it, but that would make for a different perspective to Vinny's (what I assume) fresh beginnings with the game.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Well, I bought it. First impressions (played and finished it on PC at original release) are that it's all a bit half-assed.

Pulling up menus in the game is janky - you're pulled out of the game for a few seconds to a black window and think you've crashed before the game rights itself.

Controller support isn't great - No d-pad in menus and a lack of button prompts.

The widescreen resolutions seem 'off', stretched almost. I'm going to have to dig out my old disc and apply the widescreen patch to see if I get the same effect.

As to the remaster part - Things look clean enough, nothing startling but also nothing jarring enough to detract from the overall aesthetic.

5/10 for the remaster, batshit-mental/10 for the game itself.

Edit - Coming to Fahrenheit after spending 10 hours with the Resident Evil remaster is like night vs day.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By burgavo
    Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked Indigo Prophecy. Sure it was kinda crazy and somewhat flawed, but why the hate?

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#23 jeanluc  Staff

I really liked the first hour of this game and then I got to this bullshit stealth sequence and I gave up.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Game was kind of ahead of its time in some ways, but man, where that story goes is hilariously terrible. Smokin' hot sex scene towards the end though, so I might have to check the remaster out just for that.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this game is amazing. i just hope the grafics are updated because otherwise it will be hard to look at.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I played and enjoyed Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) when it came out. But it's not a good game. It's insane, and the last 80% (as other poster mentioned) is absolutely nonsensical and nuts.

But I love Quantic. Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls (playing through it now) are amazing.

This is a super hard game to recommend to anyone. Objectively it's not good. But if you like crazy ass shit, and a game with a lot of potential, give it a go!

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Fahrenheit is probably the most frustrating game I've ever played. Not because the game is too hard (well, sometimes it is), but because there is so much potential that is completely wasted. I really love the first two (maybe three?) chapters and if the game had stayed that awesome it would easily be an all-time favorite of mine. Unfortunately everything goes down the drain very quickly, as with every game David Cage has ever put his name on.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nocookiesforyou: My issue is that the factions involved in the final conflict are just ridiculous. It makes the ending of MGS2 seem completely coherent.

Also every scene involving the black detective is hilariously stereotypical and his entire character accomplishes nothing, and it's kind of embarrassing. The game should've just been Carla and the other male lead whose name I forget.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By T_wester
    No Caption Provided

Does the re master have more extra material? The scene viewer in the original was great.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By kaos_cracker

I never played it but I played the Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls so ima give this a try.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaos_cracker: My counter argument is that you've already played the better-realized David Cage games. And Walking Dead Season 1 probably has better emotional resonance than either of them, and has similar levels of interactivity.

If you thought the ghost stuff in Beyond went a little far, oh boy, Indigo Prophecy is a whole new level of crazy.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Well...the walking over the roller-coaster beam during a blizzard QTE is still complete garbage! Also the stealth sequences are just as frustrating as I remember.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RonGalaxy

@corevi said:

going by what you like about indigo prophecy, you'd probably like beyond 2 souls. That game gets fucking ridiculuous in some really cheesy/awesome ways. I rented it when it came out and don't regret the time I spent with it.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Heavy Rain and Beyond were a vast improvement over Indigo Prophecy, but man that game holds a special place in my heart. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a game as much as I did when you

Fought the internet at the end of the game.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Evilsbane

I had a good time playing it, the story is really interesting till it just goes COMPLETELY off the rails but my experience was positive David Cage games are fucking flawed but interesting experiences.

For the record I thought Heavy Rain was legitimately good, still flawed but it was a cool experience much like Indigo.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: Oh, yeah, I guess you're correct. You didn't sound like a dick, I just felt you were talking to the wrong person, but point taken I suppose. That said, those two things are always mentioned when this game is talked about, so you must have not heard anything about this game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I wasn't really asking if I should buy it or not. I was just asking what people thought about it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By glots

I don't know if this is worth a new thread, so I'll just leave this surprise announcement here.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shindig

It opens with the greatest first hour of any game. And then it gets Cagey (tm).

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

It opens with the greatest first hour of any game. And then it gets Cagey (tm).

Pretty much. I remember playing it when it came out and being blown away by the promise of the introduction.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, they are charging 15 bucks for this? I mean granted it's a long game, but Journey also cost 15 bucks.

I haven't felt the need to get the remaster, but I rewatched some footage of it some time ago and yeah it's goofy. Back then however for me it was very technically impressive. It also was very well optimized and ran on a Pentium D with some very low end ATI card I had back then. The cinematic aspect was new to me and yeah I like the power fantasy set in a seemingly realistic world at the time. But then yeah, as others have said. I actually would suggest not to buy it for that price and unless you can enjoy goofy on your own or want to share it with friends, just watch a youtuber cover it and laugh along with them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.