Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 26, 2009

inFamous is a third-person open-world action game in which players take control of Cole, an urban explorer / bike messenger changed by a mysterious blast that grants him electricity-based superpowers.

InFamous' Action Looks Electric--But How Does It Play?

• 81 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

My interest level in Sucker Punch's next PS3 action game InFamous has been teetering between "looks sort of OK" and "looks completely awesome" since Sony began the game's marketing campaign. After getting to play a good bit of InFamous, though, I plan to reside firmly in the latter camp until the game comes out in June. InFamous impressed the hell out of me, but before I tell you why, check out this glut of footage that shows off most of the action I got to play myself.

So what did I take away from this demo that left me such a positive impression?

• The feel of the controls. Note to whoever it is at Sucker Punch making the decisions about run speed, aiming sensitivity, and jumping controls: Don't change anything. Cole accelerates quickly, runs really fast, and turns on a dime. He doesn't lose speed or maneuverability when you zoom to the over-the-shoulder aiming view. From the basic movement and shooting to specialized moves like hovering to distant platforms and grinding on power lines, the basic gameplay has a really responsive, immediate feel to it that made me want to keep playing. This, and the next point, are really the biggest reasons I want to play more of the game.
    • Your moral alignment directly affects what your powers are like.
      Your moral alignment directly affects what your powers are like.
      Great superpowers and resulting destruction.
      The save game in my demo had a bunch of powers unlocked--electric grenades, a Force-like kinetic push, an electric hover ability, an aerial ground stomp--and it was really intuitive and easy to start chaining those powers into effective combos and wreaking stupid amounts of havoc. The bombastic physics system and highly explosive background elements made for some really satisfying explosions. I'd liken the big, open-ended feel of the combat and destruction to Crackdown, if you want a direct comparison. You get the same sort of chain-reaction car explosions and crazy stuff like that going on.
    • Moral choices with gameplay-relevant consequences. In the grand tradition of KOTOR and Fable, you can choose to be a good guy or a bad guy at scripted points in the story, and your appearance will get prettier or uglier based on your behavioral tendences. Your lightning even turns blue or red! But more importantly, the game's extensive list of powers (there must be at least a dozen) change significantly depending on your alignment. Good powers give you precision strikes that minimize collateral damage, while evil powers are more about, well, wantonly blowing shit up. The evil grenades, for instance, split into five smaller grenades on impact, giving you a much bigger blast radius.
    • Unique enemy encounters. In addition to that search-and-destroy-buses mission you can see in the video, I had to take on a couple of cool combat situations. One was a boss fight against a telekinetic lady who was screaming at Cole like a jilted ex-girlfriend. She could summon hallucinated enemies to confuse you during combat, and I had to get into these nifty Quick Time Events that required me to simultaneously button-mash and control Cole's hands to attack her. Another mission had me defending a prison yard from an attacking enemy force that was hurling fiery boulders over the wall. I had to use my shockwave move to literally send the projectiles flying back--until a bunch of enemy troops and giant monsters flooded the yard. One cool element was that I was fighting from an electrified grating, allowing me to constantly recharge my electrical special moves.

I don't want to froth at the mouth here; It ain't all wine and roses for InFamous. The actual moral choice I saw (giving some food over to civilians, or killing them and keeping it) was pretty contrived; Cole's wisecracking sidekick grated on my nerves; the urban parkour took more than a little getting used to; and some of the environments are less detailed up-close than I would have liked. But those sorts of issues are easy to overlook when a game's core action is this inviting.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

My interest level in Sucker Punch's next PS3 action game InFamous has been teetering between "looks sort of OK" and "looks completely awesome" since Sony began the game's marketing campaign. After getting to play a good bit of InFamous, though, I plan to reside firmly in the latter camp until the game comes out in June. InFamous impressed the hell out of me, but before I tell you why, check out this glut of footage that shows off most of the action I got to play myself.

So what did I take away from this demo that left me such a positive impression?

• The feel of the controls. Note to whoever it is at Sucker Punch making the decisions about run speed, aiming sensitivity, and jumping controls: Don't change anything. Cole accelerates quickly, runs really fast, and turns on a dime. He doesn't lose speed or maneuverability when you zoom to the over-the-shoulder aiming view. From the basic movement and shooting to specialized moves like hovering to distant platforms and grinding on power lines, the basic gameplay has a really responsive, immediate feel to it that made me want to keep playing. This, and the next point, are really the biggest reasons I want to play more of the game.
    • Your moral alignment directly affects what your powers are like.
      Your moral alignment directly affects what your powers are like.
      Great superpowers and resulting destruction.
      The save game in my demo had a bunch of powers unlocked--electric grenades, a Force-like kinetic push, an electric hover ability, an aerial ground stomp--and it was really intuitive and easy to start chaining those powers into effective combos and wreaking stupid amounts of havoc. The bombastic physics system and highly explosive background elements made for some really satisfying explosions. I'd liken the big, open-ended feel of the combat and destruction to Crackdown, if you want a direct comparison. You get the same sort of chain-reaction car explosions and crazy stuff like that going on.
    • Moral choices with gameplay-relevant consequences. In the grand tradition of KOTOR and Fable, you can choose to be a good guy or a bad guy at scripted points in the story, and your appearance will get prettier or uglier based on your behavioral tendences. Your lightning even turns blue or red! But more importantly, the game's extensive list of powers (there must be at least a dozen) change significantly depending on your alignment. Good powers give you precision strikes that minimize collateral damage, while evil powers are more about, well, wantonly blowing shit up. The evil grenades, for instance, split into five smaller grenades on impact, giving you a much bigger blast radius.
    • Unique enemy encounters. In addition to that search-and-destroy-buses mission you can see in the video, I had to take on a couple of cool combat situations. One was a boss fight against a telekinetic lady who was screaming at Cole like a jilted ex-girlfriend. She could summon hallucinated enemies to confuse you during combat, and I had to get into these nifty Quick Time Events that required me to simultaneously button-mash and control Cole's hands to attack her. Another mission had me defending a prison yard from an attacking enemy force that was hurling fiery boulders over the wall. I had to use my shockwave move to literally send the projectiles flying back--until a bunch of enemy troops and giant monsters flooded the yard. One cool element was that I was fighting from an electrified grating, allowing me to constantly recharge my electrical special moves.

I don't want to froth at the mouth here; It ain't all wine and roses for InFamous. The actual moral choice I saw (giving some food over to civilians, or killing them and keeping it) was pretty contrived; Cole's wisecracking sidekick grated on my nerves; the urban parkour took more than a little getting used to; and some of the environments are less detailed up-close than I would have liked. But those sorts of issues are easy to overlook when a game's core action is this inviting.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TimeWaffle

i thought this game looked kinda dumb but i'm starting to like it the more i see it

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

God I want to try this game.  Loved SuckerPunch's Sly Cooper series.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Serker

i love the jerky movement of characters when their talking. like moving panels in a comic book or something.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ltcoljaxson

It looks really fun and packed with more arcadey action compared to more realistic gritty action of most games. Could be a great game, and definitely a nice change... almost like a PSI ops game...

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cheapoz

Question Brad, regarding "Moral choices with gameplay-relevant consequences. "

Is it still a moral choice if it says THIS IS MORAL CHOICE!!!

Seems more like a "me-too" inclusion tacked on as a gameplay mechanic more than an exploration of moral choices in games. It would be far, far more interesting if you just made a decision at any point, using your own best judgement, without being prompted to make a yes/no selection, and then finding out if you, the player, made a correct moral choice (at which point the words correct moral choice are used relatively to the players own moral centre).

The same is with the HUD, I'd remove the blue/red indicator, have the colour of the electricity around your body determine it. IMO they should not include the indicator, as it removes any of the actual morality of determining 'do I want to move the slider towards blue or red.. hmm...'
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper

I loved crackdown so if it's in the same style I'm in.... maybe.

Edit: After watching that video all I gotta say is I hope the game isn't that. The platforming looked great but the animations looked GTA3 and the dialogue was terrible and once I heard one Karma thing I could guess all the others before they even came. It looks like a cool game getting bogged down with unnessasary junk that is not done particulaly well.

Only a trailer though but it unsold me all the way.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By torus

Looks good... aside from those really lame 'moral choice' screens. 

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gesi1223

Cole seems to have the same exact mannerisms as Sly Cooper in a cutscene that shows him talking to someone. It's just a little weird looking and I don't like it. But other than that, this looks like it could be a really fun game.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

You know, I really do love the work these guys are doing. But I'm a little irked that Prototype is getting absolutely no coverage, and inFamous is soaking up the spotlight. =/

Edit: Perhaps Prototype coverage from GDC will be shown off this week. I might be jumping the gun...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

Prototype doesn't have a chance against this, been saying it for a while now and everyone is finally starting to realize that Sucker Punch knows how to make a fun game.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

bcuz wut u want to plai matrs so i no taht teh gaym i wnt is 4 bad?!?!1

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Dreamfall31

This game keeps looking better and better!  I'll atleast rent it first when it comes out!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero

The animations are really bad.

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vinsanity09

I don't know why but every time I see a video of this game it just screams BORING to me, I really need to play the demo to know if I'm right

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By RenegadeSaint

It doesn't look particularly entertaining, but I'll keep an open mind until I see some reviews.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By VWGTI
    I'm just gonna come out and say it. This game looks hella disorienting! It like the developers injected the game with every energy drink on the market and then sprinkled cocaine on top of it.

In all seriousness the game looks like a nice blend of Crackdown and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Having enjoyed both of those games immensely I'll be sure to pick this bad boy up and give it a whirl. With Sucker Punch at the helm I'm confident that this game will deliver. Their Sly games were fantastic.
    Under_Influenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Under_Influenz

Cannot wait to pick this up. At least the two side conflict adds some replayability. 

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Crono

a lot of great eye candy here

however, i am not a fan of their animation.  it is fluid so that is good, but I don't like the over exaggerated storyline animations.  the way people talk with not only their hands, but their craning necks and swiveling heads is too far from reality for me; would be better if it served a purpose but this game seems to take itself somewhat seriously with the tone the karma moments set with their build-up.

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Lilarcor

The game looks really interesting but holy crap the voice acting in that trailer was really terrible. Still, my big beef with Crackdown was that your superpowers just didn't really feel all that spectacular, and I'm glad to see this game taking it further in that direction.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#22  Edited By rargy

Keep getting this game and Prototype mixed up for some reason.  Looks like fun but i don't like how he talks to himself.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

one thing that i know about Brad, is that whenever he is excited about a particular game before launch, that game turned out to be amazing (Bioshock, Dead Space, Mass Effect, etc.)....well, 98% of the time anyways : P (still thinks RE5 wasn't that good). so im really excited for inFamous now!

IN BRAD WE TRUST!!!!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Jackel2072

yeah after the "super powers" trailer im interest in this game jumped 10 fold.  looks cool!

xDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xDot

This looks awesome.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AllanIceman

Wow! lookin' pretty good.  Loving the explosions!

RyanD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RyanD

man, i really need to go buy a PS3

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

This looks better and better every time I see it.

2k_fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 2k_fish

Lately I seem to keep discovering that games I thought were coming out in the fall are going to be here in early summer.  Hopefully this awesome trend continues.

insanebear.com - A site about video games and video game culture.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Jayzilla

i will buy this game in a new york minute if it's longer than 12 hours. anything shorter than that with no multiplayer aint really worth the coin imo.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By maxszy

God I am loving the look of this! Its looking potentially really good!

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Heartagram

Awesome i cant wait i hope the trophies are good

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpikeDelight

I was expecting to like Prototype more than this since that one was first and is so similar, but after playing Prototype at Comic-Con and reading many glowing reviews of this inFamous build, the opposite may end up being true.

xFRIGx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xFRIGx

is that rorchach?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By lordofultima

This looks like the most amazing thing in the universe. Going to have to dust off that PS3 again.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By RedSox8933

Oh wow, that video was awesome!! I was really skeptical about this game, when I first heard about it I thought that it would be really gimmicky and weird. But now I am very intrigued, and I might even dust off my PS3 just to play this game!

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoelTGM

the more I see it, the more interested I am.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shadow

yep, looks as mind numbingly lame as when I first saw it.  I don't get the hype behind this, especially when Prototype does something so similar but sooooooooooo much better.  No way in hell am I buying this generic pile of electrified garbage

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GioVANNI

I don't know, the only thing annoying me about this game is the guy's damn run animation. 

Trnck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Trnck

It brings new rules to the category, I like it.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nettacki

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Seedofpower

Man, this game looks awesome. Too bad I dont own a ps3

sneakysnake128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sneakysnake128

Looks boring. Running around with a ridiculous amount of health making it all too easy. Spamming the same attacks. Killing stupid AI.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy thinks that this game just keeps improving every time a new video feature comes out for it.
    He loves it.

Neill_freer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Neill_freer

this game looks terrible

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By DevilishSix

The experience point system showing the damage and exp earned reminds me of what you would see in an online game so that was cool,  and the string of DNA looking meter bar was tight.  I like the good and bad and how your powers and the way you look are different, which should lend to great replay value which says alot because its already open world and inherently has replay value.  So, to be truely Infamous you have to be one evil mofo.

I think this game is a sleeper hit.   Damnit  May and June are going to be expensive because Bionic Commanado, InFamous, and Prototype are all scheduled within a months time.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By get2sammyb

Want so much to be excited for this game but, just can't get interested. Although, I have to admit, everytime someone writes about this game in the press it gets an absolutely glowing report so it must be good.

Apparently the game is finished now, so Sucker Punch have the next 2 months to spend just polishing and ironing out any kinks.

agent89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By agent89

Voice-acting brought to you by Rorschach

geekbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By geekbot

I think that this looks like a better game than Prototype, but to be honest, they both look entirely too "arcady" for me. The way you can jump around all over the place and continuously bast enemies from afar; it just doesn't do it for me. I think I'd like it more if the character had more weight to him.

With that said, I haven't played it, so maybe if the controls are well done, it might make the game much more enjoyable than it seems.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Media_Master

Looks and plays fine

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.