Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 26, 2009

inFamous is a third-person open-world action game in which players take control of Cole, an urban explorer / bike messenger changed by a mysterious blast that grants him electricity-based superpowers.

Why Do You Die In Water?

• 60 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Yes, I mean, I understand the properties of electricity and water mixing together and whatnot in a normal, real-life situation.  HOWEVER...in Infamous, you ALREADY have electricity running through your body, right?  You're already USED to it!  So, what's the point in dying when you hit the water?  If anything, it should mean that you can use the water as just another weapon at your disposal...right?

Just curious as I was watching the Quick Look and Brad mentioned that you die when you go in the water...but it just doesn't make sense WHY that would happen other than for programming reasons...
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Because you've got a huge metal bionic arm attached to your- wait.

Because...electricity?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

well you said it yourself zap zap and water don't mix well done get over it

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus
    trophyhunter said:
    well you said it yourself zap zap and water don't mix well done get over it
    Ha, get over it... It'd be cool if you could kill enemies that were in the water with you... or at least kill the fish. Water is the new invisible walls.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97

Wouldn't the water dispel all the electricity out of his body, draining him of life?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus
    FrankCanada97 said:
    Wouldn't the water dispel all the electricity out of his body, draining him of life?
    That kinda makes sense. Your electricity is your life meter, if he can't control his output of energy in the water he could be drained of life... Although you'd think he'd be able to control himself, he IS a super-hero. Water is a lame weakness.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon

Actually, this doesn't make too too much sense. After all, your whole gimmick is that your body is now able to in-take electricty an then expel it like a battery. The problem with jumping into water with electricity is the current it shoots through your body, which really shouldn't hurt Cole. If anything, it should boost him.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trophyhunter
    TooWalrus said:
    trophyhunter said: well you said it yourself zap zap and water don't mix well done get over it Ha, get ... [more]
    no radiation is the new invisible wall
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
    trophyhunter said:
    TooWalrus said: trophyhunter said: well you said it yourself zap zap and water don't mix well done get over it ... [more]
    There's radiation in inFamous???
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jkz

Yeah I don't think the water = death wall makes any sense. Wolverine did it too, you see him climbing out of the water all the time, but the instant you fall into water that is over waist deep, you die. I wouldn't really call it a "new" wall though.......hrm

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn

Because if you jumped into most bodys of water in that game, you wouldnt be able to get out and maybe the design team just didnt have the time to make ladders

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By trophyhunter
    TooWalrus said:
    trophyhunter said: TooWalrus said: trophyhunter said: well you said it yourself zap zap and water don't mix well done get ... [more]
    its not, I'm say radiation is the new invisible wall for alot of games like bionic commando and fallout 3
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
    TheKidNixon said:
    Actually, this doesn't make too too much sense. After all, your whole gimmick is that your body is now able ... [more]
    YOU UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING!!!  All the other responses almost make me believe that *GASP* no one read the OP.  -_-  Fact of the matter is this:  Cole ALREADY has electricity going through his body, shocking him and shit on a regular basis.  Therefore, what the FUCK would it matter if he went into water?!  What would it HONESTLY do?  Just shock him harder?  Riiiiiiight....lol  It just doesn't make ANY sense.

Also, if we want to complain about Bionic Commando's lack of swimming as well, I see that as a double-sided blade:  on one hand, you've got a huge metal fucking arm that weighs you down...but on the other hand, YOU HAVE A BIONIC FUCKING ARM...so you would THINK that the fuckers could at LEAST figure out a way for you to be able to swim!!!
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By trophyhunter
    jakob187 said:
    TheKidNixon said: Actually, this doesn't make too too much sense. After all, your whole gimmick is that your body is ... [more]
    the arm weights a 1000 pounds that's why he can't jump normally
    water + nothing to grab on to = sinking to the bottom of the lake and drowning
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Disgaeamad

If anything, I'd have to make a wild guess and say that the water causes him to lose control over the flow of electricity in his body and, similar to how a fuse blows when a certain current is reached, it becomes unable to handle it.

Edit: Ok, this sounds far more idiotic than I expected.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
    trophyhunter said:
    jakob187 said: TheKidNixon said: Actually, this doesn't make too too much sense. After all, your whole gimmick is that your ... [more]
    Right...but with all that damn technology floating around, it just seems like there would be a way to change that.  Nonetheless, I understand the reasonings behind it, given that Bionic Commando has always been part of Capcom's whole "gimped characters" setup.  Mega Man can't duck, RE characters can't run and shoot, Rad can't swim, Dante can't stop sucking, yadda yadda yadda.

I still don't think that you should die from hitting water in Infamous, though.
    harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By harrisonave

Yeah... drop an piece of electrical equipment in a bathtub, then try using it later.  I'm betting it won't work.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass

Cole never learned how to swim.

So, he drowns.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By trophyhunter
    jakob187 said:
    trophyhunter said: jakob187 said: TheKidNixon said: Actually, this doesn't make too too much sense. After all, your whole gimmick is ... [more]
    what about viewiful joe?
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By pause422
    jakob187 said:
    TheKidNixon said: Actually, this doesn't make too too much sense. After all, your whole gimmick is that your body is ... [more]
    I have a feeling its 2 things-  1 being, most people just don't even think about it at all like you are doing, and a few others easily observed, a good amount of people just go "electricity and water don't mix, that makes sense", and 2 being, there was just no real reason for them to let you swim around in the water or they didn't feel like/have time to design anything around it since climbing the city and flying around would be the main gameplay other than the action..so they really just wanted to say " No you can't go in the water", and make it look like to most people it should be common sense.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMustacheHero

To answer this, 1. Fill a sink up with water 2. Put a toaster in the water 3. Put your hand in the water 4. Put the toaster in a power outlet.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422
    TheMustacheHero said:
    To answer this, 1. Fill a sink up with water 2. Put a toaster in the water 3. Put your ... [more]
    I love how many of you don't pay one bit of attention to the OP and whats being asked. YES, everyone should know unless they're mentally retarded electric and water don't mix, but you're playing as a electricity filled character already..he has electricity running through his body already constantly, getting shocked by it , and probably adapted completely to it, water would not do a thing to hurt you in that case.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
    TheMustacheHero said:
    To answer this, 1. Fill a sink up with water 2. Put a toaster in the water 3. Put your ... [more]
    Okay, so using the theory that water would end up negating his power...and then knowing that he can SUCK ELECTRICITY OUT OF THE SHIT IN THE CITY TO RECHARGE HIMSELF...how does this theory you've presented before us still work?

Man, maybe I shouldn't have said anything.  This is starting to remind me of the old "are Wolverine's claws implanted or are they part of his mutation?" arguments from back in the day before we knew the answer.

And somehow, it's all come back around to not having electric claws.  Thanks, Vinny.  =  P
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trophyhunter
    jakob187 said:
    TheMustacheHero said: To answer this, 1. Fill a sink up with water 2. Put a toaster in the water 3. ... [more]
    its mutation right? because in some things he has bone claws
    Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Edgar
    Delta_Ass said:
    Cole never learned how to swim. So, he drowns.
    This.

But, yeah, I agree. There doesn't appear to be a valid reason for dying in water.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

Maybe in the sequel, the developers will let you swim and fly an electric plane.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
    trophyhunter said:
    jakob187 said: TheMustacheHero said: To answer this, 1. Fill a sink up with water 2. Put a toaster in the ... [more]
    -_-  Yes, they are part of his mutation.  However, we didn't ALWAYS know this.  Only once Wolverine #75 came around was it PROVEN that he has bone claws.  Fatal Attractions is still one of my favorite story arcs.

I was trying to say that arguing about why Cole can't go in water is LIKE the old arguments of Wolverine's claws.  It's not really going to go anywhere.  I was just wondering why it is that a guy who is now used to electricity running through his entire body wouldn't be able to swim in water...since his entire body can sustain any amount of electrical damage given to it.  Therefore, the law of "throwing something electrical into water will kill a person" doesn't apply to him.

Someone earlier had also mentioned that the water would overcharge him and make him lose his power, but that doesn't make sense because he can recharge himself from anything electrical whenever he feels like it.

Basically...there's no reason Cole can't go in the water.  So why does Cole die if he goes in it?  It doesn't make any sense.  It means that Sucker Punch was too lazy to program that in, and in turn, they created an unnecessary invisible wall.

By all means, it doesn't mean Infamous is a bad game because of it.  It just seems...unnecessary.  That's all.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By trophyhunter

gigawat blades there is your electro claws

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
    trophyhunter said:
    gigawat blades there is your electro claws
    Here's the question:  do they look like Wolverine claws or Weapon XI claws?  o.O  Personally, I think they should just be five electrical finger extensions...and you can use them to cut cars in half!!!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
    jakob187 said:
    Yes, I mean, I understand the properties of electricity and water mixing together and whatnot in a normal, real-life situation. ... [more]
    You would overload and explode. Like physically explode.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
    LiquidPrince said:
    jakob187 said: Yes, I mean, I understand the properties of electricity and water mixing together and whatnot in a normal, ... [more]
    You couldn't explode!  Does a toaster explode when you put it in water?  NOPE!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LiquidPrince
    jakob187 said:
    LiquidPrince said: jakob187 said: Yes, I mean, I understand the properties of electricity and water mixing together and whatnot in ... [more]
    A toaster doesn't have like a million gigawatts worth of electricity flowing through it.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By delta_ass
    LiquidPrince said:
    jakob187 said: LiquidPrince said: jakob187 said: Yes, I mean, I understand the properties of electricity and water mixing together and ... [more]
    A toaster also doesn't fly across rooftops fighting monsters.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
    Delta_Ass said:
    LiquidPrince said: jakob187 said: LiquidPrince said: jakob187 said: Yes, I mean, I understand the properties of electricity and water mixing ... [more]
    I'd like to think that Cole only houses 1.21 jigawatts.  = D  Not a million.

Also, toasters DO flying across rooftops and fight monsters.  I've seen it.  = D
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By get2sammyb
    TooWalrus said:
    trophyhunter said: well you said it yourself zap zap and water don't mix well done get over it Ha, get ... [more]
    You totally can. If you run through a puddle while civillians are standing in it, they'll die.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toowalrus
    get2sammyb said:
    TooWalrus said: trophyhunter said: well you said it yourself zap zap and water don't mix well done get over it ... [more]
    Ha, awesome. Can't wait to play, hopefully one of my buddies with a PS3 will pick it up soon.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By trophyhunter
    @jakob187:
    No Caption Provided

porridgelad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By porridgelad

i think its because the design team thought swimming wasn't as much fun as flying around the city and playing the game...the explanation may suck but the thought process seems okay.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond

He hates taking baths and showers, the instant he feels any water touching his body he commits suicide by shocking himself to death.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By get2sammyb

Think about it like this though - electricity surges through numerous household products right. You drop them in the bath, leave them there for 30 seconds, and then pull them back out, they'll probably cease to work right?

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    get2sammyb said:
    Think about it like this though - electricity surges through numerous household products right. You drop them in the bath, ... [more]
    You drop in anything electronic in water,whether or not it is plugged in/ hascurrent and it won't work.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Because if they built the entire world, it wouldn't fit on a blu-ray.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By get2sammyb
    Agnogenic_delete said:
    get2sammyb said: Think about it like this though - electricity surges through numerous household products right. You drop them in ... [more]
    Exactly my point. Thus, Cole ceases to function when in water. Essentially *MILD SPOILERS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN TRAILERS BUT LOOK AWAY NOW JUST IN CASE* Cole is at the heart of an explosion, he should be dead, but instead gains super powers. Alas, you could argue it's the electric keeping him alive.

Regardless, I think it's pretty obvious why he can't swim. inFamous is all the better for limiting the time-of-day, weather, etc, because it allows them to focus on making stuff right. The "smaller-than-GTA" open-world allowed them to make more areas of it interesting.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jakob187
    Diamond said:
    He hates taking baths and showers, the instant he feels any water touching his body he commits suicide by shocking ... [more]
    Eww...I didn't even think about how dirty of a bastard Cole would be.  Man...your superhero is stinky...especially since he does all that running around and such but never changes clothes.  =  /

Again, you people missed the part where    HE   CAN   RECHARGE  HIMSELF...so it doesn't MATTER if he goes in the water and it ends up causing him to "not work".  Your typical household appliance CAN'T recharge like Cole does.

Man, people just DON'T read!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60
    jakob187 said:
    Diamond said: He hates taking baths and showers, the instant he feels any water touching his body he commits suicide ... [more]
    So what if he can recharge himself? That wouldn't fix a broken appliance. Charging up something that is broken doesn't automatically fix it, I dropped my PSP in a lake before and charging it didn't fix it.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HandsomeDead

I assumed he'd explode because he has all that electricity inside him and he is only flesh at the end of the day so he'd probably burst everywhere.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Drebin_893
    jakob187 said:
    Diamond said: He hates taking baths and showers, the instant he feels any water touching his body he commits suicide ... [more]

No, I don't think you get it. It's the electricity that keeps him alive, if he's starved of electricity he ceases to live. You can't recharge if you're dead.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jakob187
    CL60 said:
    jakob187 said: Diamond said: He hates taking baths and showers, the instant he feels any water touching his body he ... [more]
    Cole

is

not

an

appliance

or

a

PSP!!!

NERD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Drebin_893

Then

Respond

To 

My 

Post,

Idiot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.