Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPad

Platform »

The iPad is a series of touch-screen tablet devices developed by Apple. The iPad can browse the web, playback local and streamed content, and run a large variety of third party apps, including games.

Reports Suggest iPad 3 Announcement Next Month

• 170 results
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Enigmatical

Just because the Bombcast doesn't talk about iOS releases, doesn't mean Giantbomb doesn't have pages dedicated to the iOS releases and upcoming games (Infinity Blade 2 Quick Look comes to mind).

Continue to deny it, but iOS (and yes, I'm talking about the App Store, not mobile game stores in general) is a gaming marketplace and the iPhone and iPad are gaming platforms as much as they are phones and web browsers and e-books, etc.

It is in direct competition with the 3DS and Vita.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
    Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By Enigmatical

@msavo: Easier to pack and carry around 1x "Jack of All Trades" rather than 10x so-called "Masters".

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Enigmatical Absolutly, hell I'm typing this on my iPad as we speak because I threw it in my bag before I left for school. But when we talk about these applications as individuals and compare them to platforms like 3DS or Vita or talk about the photo capabilities between an iPad or a digital camera you can't be surprised when the enthusiasts crowd rolls their eyes.
    Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By Enigmatical

@Vodun said:

@Enigmatical said:

iPad is a gaming system, no matter how badly you Apple haters want to deny that... and the announcement of a new iPad is the announcement of a new gaming system. I don't see why this doesn't belong here.

Thanks for the heads up, Patrick. This was the announcement I was waiting for... going to finally jump onto the iPad ship when the third one comes.

By that logic, should Giant Bomb follow the latest developments on Facebook as well? It's one of the premiere gaming platforms for millions.

Didn't they sort of do an expose on Farmville with the interns?

Or talk about Zynga's copycat problems in the news and on the Bombcast?

I'm not saying Jeff and Ryan should do a quick look for Mafia Wars 2, but there is a page on Giantbomb for the game. And many other Facebook games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#105  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Whoa there. How did I stumble into Tested? I thought I was looking at Giant Bomb.

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By 617_jbug

I got an IPad2 for Christmas. Good thing Apple items hold a good price in the used market.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By bennyboy

Okay, since Patrick has decided that the iPad is a legitimate gaming platform and that therefore the (rumored) release of an iPad warrants a news article, then that would mean GB would have to cover release info on all tablet and smartphone releases as well, right? So where does that leave Tested?

And then you can argue that since gaming consoles are technically considered "tech", that Tested should be writing news bits on console releases as well. Honestly if you're going to go down this road then there's pretty much no distinguishing feature that will decide which whiskey site a story belongs to. The iPad plays games, yes, but it obviously caters to a demographic that wants much more than just games, and therefore its coverage belongs on a site directed more towards this demographic, aka Tested.

troticielo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#108  Edited By troticielo

@chilibean_3 said:

Serious games journalist Patrick is awesome. Troll Patrick is the worst.

What news site does Serious Games Journalist Patrick post to?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Yeah in my opinion this is something that should stay in Tested...

mr__kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mr__kamikaze

So...from now on:

Giant Bomb cannot cover iOS games.

Tested cannot give updates on gaming consoles.

Comic Vine cannot report on comic book movie news.

Screened not Skype Alex into the podcasts...cause Skype. That's a Tested thing.

whaaa...?

CilliaBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By CilliaBlack

It's a good thing the Whiskey Media crew has you fine bunch of people around to tell them what things they can and cannot post as news or editorial pieces on their website. They'd doubtless be lost without all your keen insights.

fnacypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By fnacypants

Great. I'm reading this from my brand new iPad 2. Ah well. When the three is released, I'll just spend the money saved by NOT buying it on something else. Semi colon, Closed Parentheses.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By bennyboy

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

So...from now on:

Giant Bomb cannot cover iOS games.

Tested cannot give updates on gaming consoles.

Comic Vine cannot report on comic book movie news.

Screened not Skype Alex into the podcasts...cause Skype. That's a Tested thing.

whaaa...?

1. Sure they can cover iOS games. Don't see a problem there.

2. They can but they'd probably want to focus more on the specs of these consoles rather than any extensive game coverage, which Giant Bomb would have covered.

3. Why not? It's not like they're reporting on a blu-ray player that also happens read PDF files of comic books.

4. Well naturally it would depend on what they're going to be talking about.

Honestly I think you're just making a bunch of straw man arguments. And obviously no one is trying to rule WM with an iron fist and telling them what they can and cannot write about. But it would probably be in their best interest to draw some distinct lines, otherwise why even bother to compartmentalize Whiskey Media into its respective sites? Why not just hae one giant site that covers everything?

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#114  Edited By Hef

To be honest when I was reading this article, before I even glanced at the comments, I was wondering why this is on giantbomb. I don't really care where I read the article either way, I just thought it was funny that I apparently am not alone.

While this isn't about games and it more about the hardware, would you say that only tested can comment on xbox whatever and PS4 rumors? I think no.

So yes I think this article is right where it belongs.

mr__kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By mr__kamikaze

@bennyboy: I was being sarcastic. I have no problem with any of the sites doing any of those things. I don't particularly care for the iPad 3, nor do I mind that Giant Bomb decided to post an article about it.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By bennyboy

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

@bennyboy: I was being sarcastic. I have no problem with any of the sites doing any of those things. I don't particularly care for the iPad 3, nor do I mind that Giant Bomb decided to post an article about it.

I know you were, and I responded accordingly. You were obviously saying that those things you listed should be allowed, and I was simply saying that yes in fact they should be with a few caveats. Don't know why you think the sarcasm didn't register?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Hef said:

To be honest when I was reading this article, before I even glanced at the comments, I was wondering why this is on giantbomb. I don't really care where I read the article either way, I just thought it was funny that I apparently am not alone.

While this isn't about games and it more about the hardware, would you say that only tested can comment on xbox whatever and PS4 rumors? I think no.

So yes I think this article is right where it belongs.

This has NOTHING to do with gaming at the moment. Considering that Giantbomb doesn't do video coverage (or much coverage AT ALL) of mobile games and in fact, Tested does do that. Coupled with the fact that the list of functions the iPad has places gaming pretty much dead last, that all makes for a bit of an oddity posting this to Giantbomb. I'm not complaining, but it's weird, and no, this isn't where this belongs. For all they know, the iPad 3 could disable games. This is just a rumour about tech. If they wanted to put up a news story on the announcement of the iPad 3, that might be different. That is real and people will care about that much more than YET ANOTHER iPad 3 rumour.

@Enigmatical said:

@Vodun said:

@Enigmatical said:

iPad is a gaming system, no matter how badly you Apple haters want to deny that... and the announcement of a new iPad is the announcement of a new gaming system. I don't see why this doesn't belong here.

Thanks for the heads up, Patrick. This was the announcement I was waiting for... going to finally jump onto the iPad ship when the third one comes.

By that logic, should Giant Bomb follow the latest developments on Facebook as well? It's one of the premiere gaming platforms for millions.

I'm not saying Jeff and Ryan should do a quick look for Mafia Wars 2, but there is a page on Giantbomb for the game. And many other Facebook games.

Those are all specifically game things. The iPad is not a gaming device. My calculator can play Doom, it's not a fucking personal computer competitor. Zynga makes games. On Facebook, yes, but interactive entertainment software, essentially. Farmville is a GAME. The iPad isn't a game console/gaming device/handheld competitor.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#118  Edited By skrutop

But what about the next Android phone, Wil?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By xyzygy

I have a HTC HD7 and I'm convinced, after using an iPad2 then using my phone, that my phone was faster than the tablet. I have zero need for these things.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
    michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By michaelfossbakk

I'm confused. Why is this on GB?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#121  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Huh, I must have clicked on Tested by accident.

ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#122  Edited By ICF_19XX

"...on sale quickly after."

That doesn't make any sense to me.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By bennyboy

@Nicholas: Methinks he meant the iPad 3 will go on sale quickly after it is released. Yay for writing incomplete sentences with hanging subordinate conjunctions.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#124  Edited By SpudBug

Why is this article on giant bomb? Do you plan on writing articles when every new tablet or computer is about to be announced? What makes the iPad different? You don't write articles about new pc video cards or android tablets, two other things that are tangentially related to games. Why the focus on apple?

wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#125  Edited By wintermute

Did you hear? Ipad makes computers now!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing how half of Patrick's articles are solid news pieces and another half are tangentially related video game content only posted because of his own personal fetishes. A site that used to stubbornly not-care about Apple products related to video games now having Apple news shoved into everything; only one part of the mainstreamification of Giant Bomb.

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By obinice

iPad you say? On a website about video games? On the one hand sure it's a console like any mobile phone is nowadays. But this is nothing new. You don't report on every new mobile phone or OS update that gets released, or every new graphics card or CPU, so why, in terms of video games, is this worth a mention? Good article, but move it to Tested :)

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By patrickklepek

Yeah, I guess Apple isn't a big deal in video games. I should probably delete this.

Also, of course the news section reflects my own personal thoughts, feelings, interests. I run the news section.

Avatar image for mrcleantrousers
    MrCleanTrousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By MrCleanTrousers

Sucks reading this on an ipad 2...

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Detrian
    @patrickklepek said:

Yeah, I guess Apple isn't a big deal in video games. I should probably delete this.

Also, of course the news section reflects my own personal thoughts, feelings, interests. I run the news section.

Better start covering some games instead of getting sassy then.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131  Edited By Nasar7

I just beat Ghost Trick on my iPad 2 so yeah, I would say Apple related news is sufficiently relevant to gaming to merit this article.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#132  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Oh.

Ok.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Really want one but might go for PSP2 instead, a iOS device is considered a gaming platform now I have heaps of great games on my iPhone. The more news the better!

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By selbie

Yeah, not your finest hour Patrick. I guess it might be tangentially related to gaming, but I think this is more suited to a Tested post.

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By logicfracture

@selbie said:

Yeah, not your finest hour Patrick. I guess it might be tangentially related to gaming, but I think this is more suited to a Tested post.

The iPad is a pretty big gaming platform.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#136  Edited By 234r2we232

*insert trying-hard-to-be-dismissive remark about one of the current biggest gaming platforms here*

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#137  Edited By Majkiboy

@bennyboy: Just FYI, Tested have been covering info about new consoles. If not so much in article-form then at least on the podcats

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Majkiboy

Now the only thing wee need is a gadget that adds an analog stick to the iPad.

m0nty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#139  Edited By m0nty

I see an issue with such quick turn around on their devices. I have the original iPad and was only just coming around to the idea of getting the iPad 2. I wonder how many people get muddled up in this short cycle of Apple products and end up not buying the new products? It's the same reason why I still have an iPhone 3GS. I think I'll be making the switch to Android powered Samsung products real soon.

nsolo1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By nsolo1717

@Majkiboy said:

They have something to this effect already, check it out. I haven't used it personally but i've heard of others using it on a popular ios website that it works really well. Check it out. http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#141  Edited By ptys

This is more a Tested story isn't it?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By DystopiaX

@logicfracture said:

@selbie said:

The iPad is a pretty big gaming platform.

Yes but the article does not mention gaming or implications of gamine either, and if you put this article in Tested it would fit right in...I understand there are gaming implications but even those are usually covered in Tested's App of the Day and not on giantbomb.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Majkiboy

@nsolo1717 said:

@Majkiboy said:

They have something to this effect already, check it out. I haven't used it personally but i've heard of others using it on a popular ios website that it works really well. Check it out. http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php

Haha, Yeah it figures :) I wanted to make a bad joke about the 3DS thingy, but I got served!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#144  Edited By Claude

I'm holding out for the iPad 5 or 6.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Vodun

@Enigmatical said:

@Vodun said:

@Enigmatical said:

That's different, I was talking about Facebook itself since it is the platform. iPad is not a game...it's a platform.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#146  Edited By jorbear

@patrickklepek: Keep on keepin' on.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nicholas said:

"...on sale quickly after."

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Meaning it may be sold soon, or as the post states 'quickly' after an announcement is made concerning the existance of said device, in this case, the iPad 3, a tablet computer barely related to gaming news on a gaming website even though the same company has a tech website that this would fit perfectly under and would probably help because that tech website does not update as much as the gaming site. What, where was I?

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#148  Edited By corporalgregg

@Aetheldod said:

Please this must go to tested , lets not have another site flooded with tablet/smartphones stories

Not only this, but a rumour story? I don't like to complain because usually it doesn't bother me if a story doesn't interest me, but this doesn't seem like news at all to me. Apple doesn't release dedicated gaming devices and I don't really care to have stories about the development of their products appear here. I just don't see what this story really means for games. Yeah, the ipad 3 will have better hardware, I don't expect stories about Intel's new CPU or AMD's new video chip. Leave it to Tested. I don't even see anything relating to games in the body text of the article.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By RE_Player1

I own an iPad and while they do some stuff right what I hate about Apple is that within two years the thing is basically worthless in terms or gaming and a lot of other functions ruined through updates made for the newer hardware. Day one of my iPad 1 the thing was fast and never crashed. Now it's version 5.0.1 and the thing crashes in Safari or any other application 1/5 times. I expect when the iPad 3 comes out if I update the thing it will fucking break.

Look at the iPhone situation, who on earth has a 3G and is able to play games or do anything else intensive? This year the 3GS is destined to be obsolete in terms of function and that model only came out in 09. Yes the app store is a convenient way to get games and they are cheap as fuck, 99 cents is impulse buy territory, but when your hardware ages so rapidly and actually loses functionality within 2 years I don't find that something to celebrate and embrace.

Say what you will about dedicated handhelds but if I buy a Vita or a 3DS on their first iteration, like I am and did, they are guaranteed to play all games released for that platform until the very end. Yes their will be advancements, smaller form factor, better battery etc., but it's core function doesn't degrade.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Branthog

Uh. Yeah. Everyone knows how this works and the kind of schedule Apple keeps. Way to be on top of the obvious, All Things D!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.