Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jade Empire

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 12, 2005

An action adventure RPG by developer BioWare which transports the player into a mystical and oriental setting based on ancient China where they must confront all sorts of dangers and find their destiny within the Jade Empire.

They should make a new Jade Empire game next year.

• 66 results
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

This year bioware is making Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and The KOTR MMO.
    They Should Give all those breaks and make a new Jade Empire game. I'd really like a brand new current gen Kung-Fu Bioware RPG.
    Either that or that make something completely new. What do you think that new thing would be?  It would be pretty crazy to see them do some type of occult end of the world game.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JazGalaxy

They actually HAD been making a new Jade Empire game. For a long time,a ctually. The revealed concept art and everything for it. It was supposed to be Xbox360 Exclusive, I think. Then ME2 came out and it seems like everything at Bioware kind fo changed.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I support this idea. 

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FateOfNever

I would totally be into a JE2.  I rather liked the first one except for some bad story elements later on and the fact you could cheese the combat pretty easily with some of the fighting styles. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Jade Empire and Sonic Chronicles are in a footrace to be the biggest stain on the Bioware resume.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Ehhh... I wasn't so hot on the original Jade Empire. Sure, it had an unique setting (that setting being generic asian mysticism land), but I found the combat to be horrendously bad and most of the story and character elements to be even more obviously Bioware, if that makes any sense. I guess if they made the combat better I would be more interested, but I'm not sure if that game sold well or not and considering the successes of both ME2 and Dragon Age the chances are grim.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Yes.  I would be completely into a new Jade Empire.
    Edit: I want them to beef up the combat system, though, as much as possible.  As long as they keep it actiony, fast paced, and give it some depth beyond "Attack, then dodge, then attack more".  A Bioware RPG with actually entertaining combat sections would be amazing.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @ryanwho said:
    " Jade Empire and Sonic Chronicles are in a footrace to be the biggest stain on the Bioware resume. "
    Well it does not actually have to be Jade Empire, just Kung-fu bioware game, or ninja bioware game, or feudal china or japan warlord bioware game.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Skald
    @ryanwho said:
    " Jade Empire and Sonic Chronicles are in a footrace to be the biggest stain on the Bioware resume. "
    Weird internet revisionism aside, this is pretty much true.
    UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By UltorOscariot

I'm in favor of this.  It wasn't a perfect game, but enjoyable.  It would be interesting to see them revisit the world and see Bioware apply what lessons they've learned from their titles since JE.  

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

I believe that Game Informer included someone from Bioware stating that a Jade Empire sequel was in the works in their list of biggest lies of the past decade. I too would love to see a Jade Empire sequel but it isn't looking likely anytime soon. However, with Bioware seeming to get bigger and bigger with each passing year you never know.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mazik765
    @ryanwho said:
    I couldn't disagree more. While they do appear to be some of the lower reviewed Bioware games they are still both decently reviewed (Sonic at 74 and Jade Empire with a very high 89). I haven't played Sonic but Jade Empire was an excellent game for the time and was a game that I returned to several time.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By jorbear

I feel as though Jade Empire was the game that probably brought about the intense streamlining of Mass Effect 2 (which I have mixed feelings about), but I still loved Jade Empire. I mean, Sun Li was one of my favorite villains ever...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
    @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    I couldn't disagree more. While they do appear to be some of the lower reviewed Bioware games they are still both decently reviewed (Sonic at 74 and Jade Empire with a very high 89). I haven't played Sonic but Jade Empire was an excellent game for the time and was a game that I returned to several time. "
    I think if you actually played the game you're defending, you could maybe disagree more. Or at least, disagree with more integrity.
    MmRibs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MmRibs

I, for one, would purchase a new Jade Empire game.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mazik765
    @ryanwho said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    I couldn't disagree more. While they do appear to be some of the lower reviewed Bioware games they are still both decently reviewed (Sonic at 74 and Jade Empire with a very high 89). I haven't played Sonic but Jade Empire was an excellent game for the time and was a game that I returned to several time. "
    I think if you actually played the game you're defending, you could maybe disagree more. Or at least, disagree with more integrity. "
    I'm defending Sonic as a game, just that a 74 review score is far and away from a 'stain'. Also, no need to be a dick.
    DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @ryanwho said:

" @mazik765 said:

" @ryanwho said:
    I think if you actually played the game you're defending, you could maybe disagree more. Or at least, disagree with more integrity. "
    I bought Jade Empire a few months back on xbox live and I still love it. I never understood why it got so much hate. Come on you punch dudes and with the right combo they explode. Hit them with that Heavenly Wave then follow up with the Thousand Cuts and watch the blood fly. That is a easy 3 or 4 stars right there.
    sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sumbog

I didnt really enjoy Jade Empire, just didn't grab me the way other bioware games have. I just don't like the setting so much.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
     Also, no need to be a dick. "
    That's all he ever is. It's the blanka avatar curse (choice?).
    mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mewarmo990

I would look forward to a new Jade Empire game. The rather stereotypical exotic feel of it irked me a bit since I'm Chinese, and the combat got very repetitive and was easily exploited, but otherwise I still enjoyed it for what it was (a pseudo-Chinese KOTOR, that is). 

If they can improve on those things and be a little more genuine and less Forbidden Kingdom with the setting, I would be all for it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
    @ryanwho said:
    Agreed. I played through Jade Empire and I seriously don't see all this nerdgasm over it. Just let these two games to be faded into the gaming history. 
    chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By chronicsmoke

I would love a JE2,I still dont get why it gets all this hate,it was one of my favorite games on the xbox

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingzetta
    @hedfone said:
    " no "
    wrong answer
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By FreakAche

I had started playing Jade Empire on a previous occasion, but didn't really get very far. Just today, I started again from the beginning and somewhere in the middle of the first chapter I had the sudden realization, "Wow! This game is really good!" 

BioWare can do no wrong.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By keyhunter

Jade empire was dope. I liked playing as the huge guy.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ryanwho said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    I played Jade Empire. I loved the shit out of that game. I can't say I'd take it over ME3 or ToR because I'm more invested in those IPs right now but if they announced a new JE, I'd be one of the first people to preorder. I'd definitely take it over a new Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter as well as a new KotoR after ToR or a new ME after ME3.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By armaan8014

I miss the old Bioware :( 
    DA2 and ME 2 suck

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By chrissedoff
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    That's all he ever is. It's the blanka avatar curse (choice?). "
    my sources tell me he's in a footrace to be the biggest stain on giantbomb (against himself)
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By wrighteous86
    @kingzetta: I think Jade Empire is definitely their weakest game besides Sonic, but I think the universe (barring the racist overtones) could support a better game pretty easily.  I thought the world of Jade Empire was great, so as long as they fixed the problems with the first game, it would have potential. 

The game I'd love Bioware to make would be a new franchise in either a Victorian England or modern day setting that dealt with the occult and Cthulu-like gods, demons, and spirits. 

Neither of these two games would break their new "2 million plus" sales watermark, so they'll probably never happen.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Wrighteous86: ain't nothing racist about jade empire
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wrighteous86
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @Wrighteous86: ain't nothing racist about jade empire "
    No Caption Provided
    Anyway, I didn't really have a problem with Jade Empire, but if they were to make a sequel, they would have to adjust it based on the reaction it got from the Asian community.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Wrighteous86: nothing racist about that character, at all. unless you're one of those people who thinks all characters who are not white need to aggressively defy stereotypes
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By wrighteous86
    @chrissedoff: There's a difference between aggressively defying stereotypes and designing a character to look just like one.  Look familiar?    
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    If Resident Evil 5 had a character that looked like the black equivalent of these stereotypes it would never have been released. 

No Caption Provided
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Wrighteous86: are you dumb or are you so married to this idea that you're doubling down because you think it's too late for you to turn back? every character in that game is asian. just because one of them has weird ass goggles doesn't mean shit. use your head for once.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wrighteous86
    @chrissedoff: One is all that's necessary; and he's a member of your party, so he's a major character. Personal attacks weaken your argument, by the way.  I didn't say I had problems with the game, but there are plenty of things in there that caused problems upon release.  

There was also a courtesan named Happy Endings
    darkwingduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By darkwingduck
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    That's all he ever is. It's the blanka avatar curse (choice?). "
    my sources tell me he's in a footrace to be the biggest stain on giantbomb (against himself) "
    oh snap!
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Wrighteous86: my argument is strong as fuck because it's true
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By wrighteous86
    @chrissedoff: That must be why you're getting all defensive and ignoring my points.  Also, your argument is an "opinion".  All I was stating was a fact: the fact that the game was criticized for its stereotypes when it was released, and if they made a sequel, they would probably take that into account.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Wrighteous86: or because i'm a total g and "plenty of things in there" isn't much of a point
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wrighteous86
    @chrissedoff: You brushed off that a main character embodies the primary Asian stereotype in appearance, you ignored they had a courtesan named Happy Endings, you didn't touch on the fact that they would never make a game with black face, sambo, or a picaninny, you ignored that this all started with me stating the fact that there were accusations of racism when this game came out by stating your opinion that it's not racist...  You just said, "No, you're stupid."  If you'd like to have an intelligent discussion, let's.  Otherwise, I'll stop feeding the troll.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Wrighteous86: he's not the equivalent of little black sambo and you equating them is more insulting to both asian and black people than anything in jade empire. i'm sure you'll find some crank out there who thinks jade empire is racist against white people because there's one character in there who's a total colonialist jackass. i don't think you understand the difference being a troll and being such a baller that i'm beyond taking your cockamamie ideas seriously
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wrighteous86
    @chrissedoff: Well, you've certainly proved your point intelligently.  I'm gonna leave now, hope you don't starve.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Wrighteous86: hope you learn the difference between having asian characters and being racist, so companies like bioware aren't scared by into making all of their games' characters white or risk being called racist by dummies
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Wrighteous86 said:

" @chrissedoff: You brushed off that a main character embodies the primary Asian stereotype in appearance, you ignored they had a courtesan named Happy Endings, you didn't touch on the fact that they would never make a game with black face, sambo, or a picaninny, you ignored that this all started with me stating the fact that there were accusations of racism when this game came out by stating your opinion that it's not racist...  You just said, "No, you're stupid."  If you'd like to have an intelligent discussion, let's.  Otherwise, I'll stop feeding the troll. "

To be fair, you really didn't state any facts regarding accusations. From what I can tell, the first time you brought it up went like this: 

... but I think the universe (barring the racist overtones) could support a better game pretty easily  ...

Which makes it sound like your opinion. I guess you didn't mean it that way, but there's really no initial indication to think otherwise. 

But on topic: Fuck yes there should be another Jade Empire. I just started the original again and it could definitely use some graphical upgrades. t was released in 2005 and it doesn't even support widescreen? Weak-sizzle. Not that that will deter me from playing through it again.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AuthenticM

Fuck yes! I want another Jade Empire. The game had its faults, but the universe they've created is just so charming and enticing to visit. They made this game immediately after producing the first KotOR, which may explain its roughness around the edges. Now though, they've made Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 1 and Dragon Age 2. I would kill to see what Bioware would do with a Jade Empire 2 after refining their work with the previous games.

macker33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By macker33

Jade empire is the best of all biowares titles, 
    ,i heard jade empire 2 was in the works but when EA took bioware over they cancelled it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I liked Jade Empire.
    Perhaps make the combat fluid and like a brawler (as DA2 tried) and I'm game.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By babblinmule

If they make any Jade Empire ever again, then I will be a very happy camper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.