Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jeff Gerstmann

Person » credited in 4 games

Jeff Gerstmann is the co-founder and former Editor-in-Chief of Giant Bomb as well as a professional video game scientist and anime expert.

From 8.8 to 11/30/2007 Never forget!

goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By goldenmnk

I'm surprised there was not a topic about the subject of the matter. As of now, we are in the Approximate 1 year point Jeff gertsmangate tragedy. The reason i made this post is to Reminds everyone of how Essentially this website came to be.

This topic feels wrong being so close to the 1up letgoes but i feel The man( jeff) deserves some remembrance.

Why is the topic From 8.8 to his firing date ( i prolly got that wrong , Dam neogaf), well if you dint already know this , Jeff wasn't always the well loved internet go to guy. Before Giantbomb and  the penny arcade comic, there was this: The legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess.

Links suprised
    Links suprised

All over the Gamespot forums you could easily find nasty comments such as "Stupid fatass dosent know what hes talking about" or " He is such an Xbox lover jsut like the rest of gamespot". Jeff him self comments on receaving death threats on handing out lowergrade reviews on the subject.  He was not so well loved during this time by the genrel public. (This is a sweeping genralization plz dont take to much offence)

Now dont get to skeptical, i may have a LOZ Moon but its from the First LOZ game that trully changed the entire plot and was worlds diffrent. ( in my opion Worlds Better XD). Im not really the person who gets defensive over video game scores so it dint bother me much( i was expectin 8.5), but bieng a zelda fan i was Startled to find such a rabid fan base ( okay not really -_- but it was new to me on gamespot forums).

He was also at the time the "Pro" at games along side with coworker Greg Kasavin.  Beleave me , He Had Fans , but they where also the type to not take anything to personally( the only real way to apreciate a critic).  Jeff was also well known for his "Points Report" videos , a sort of update blog of his. He was THE voice of the hotspat but still even after all this the hate still poured in.  Then Sudenly and drasticly his life changed and we finaly get to now...

What we see today is the same thing we saw in the LOZ TP days with jeff gertsmans  Views of his top 10 list and of other titles. I mean come on it hasent even been a full year again and we are following that same stupid useless cycle all over again.

PLZ STOP THE HATE... Leave jeff alone ... and further more NEVER FORGET 11/30/07!
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

Umm....a little late for a post like this.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kratos81

I think he overrated tp. I am a huge zelda fan since the nes days, but that game put me to sleep.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, this is definitely a late post, but I think his Twilight Princess review was on par. It was good, just very unfulfilling compared to others.  A disappointment to me.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chummy8

I think we should all move on.  As a man who has been fired a lot... you tend to forget the date you were fired and just want to move on with your life.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

My typo radar blew up. And this is a late post.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThomasP

I thought his Twilight Princess review was pretty good. It's the first Zelda game I became bored with. I still haven't finished it. I go back from time to time and sludge away at it but it just isn't that great of a game IMO. I think he was a little generous giving in an 8.8.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Jeff, good call on Twilight Princess. In hindsight, 8.8 almost seems a little high to me. Twilight Princess was great and all, but it had some mad crazy problems, featured some poor design, it stuck to close to the formula, and failed to be the epic next-gen Zelda experience we were all waiting for. Perhaps I should elaborate before people start putting me on their hit list.

First of all, the game has some basic design issues with a lot of your objectives. Like, for instance, the cat in the beginning of the game you had to get into the house. That undeniably was more frustrating than necessary. Same thing with a Goron later in the game, who wants hot water. The logical thing to do is go to the hot spring fountain, get a bottle of this hot water and rush all the way to the Goron in Hyrule field. Magically, as you approach this Goron with the hot water, it instantly turns cold no matter how much remaining time you have. It turns out you have to do something entirely different to help this guy out, but the game should not penalize you the way it does for thinking logically. Alternatively, they could have had you take the water to the guy, he thanks you, gives you some reward, but tells you it's not enough and hints you in the right direction to solving this problem.

Another issue involves rupees and chests. In Twilight Princess, if you open a chest with rupees but don't have enough wallet space to carry it all, you're forced to put it back in the chest and close it back up. Initially, that actually seems like a smart change. In previous Zelda games, you'd take the money, even if you couldn't hold it, which would essentially make those extra rupees disappear completely. So now with this new method, you can come back to that chest later in the game to collect some more cash. The problem with this is that first of all, people are not going replay through temples just to get more rupees, and secondly, once these chests are closed, they look exactly the same as any other normal chest in-game and on your map. This becomes a problem in temples when you end up needing to re-close nearly all the chests and then don't remember which ones you've opened or haven't, and if you're trying to get all the heart pieces you can, you can expect to reopen a lot of these same rupee chests at least a second time. They could have either caused these chests to appear a different color on your map or something, or went the way of Phantom Hourglass and used the Wii pointer to let you draw on the map yourself so you could mark these particular chests. Also, spread out throughout all of Hyrule, there are a lot of puzzles with chests that are in sight but yet out of reach. Most of them will be taunting you throughout the game, and you're eager to figure out how to get them (however, most of them are actually simple and just require a new weapon to get them, which is a little disappointing since it's not a matter of actually solving the puzzle, but just waiting until you have the proper means to do it). So anyway, the time comes, you get a new weapon and realize it's what you've needed all along to get to this chest. You finally get to it, almost feeling very rewarded because it's taken so long to get to this moment, and dude... more rupees? And I can't even carry them? That is totally lame. Rupees in general don't serve much purpose in Twilight Princess, or most Zelda games really. We're like trained to collect every single one we see, however, there's hardly ever anything to buy with them except stuff you can gather for free just by playing the game. You don't ever really need to buy arrows or bombs or red potion or anything so you're going to be spending most of the game with full pockets, so rupees are never really a good reward.

Then of course, everyone gripes about the bosses being too easy. I'm gonna take that a little further and say all enemies in the game are too easy. Why is that? It's not exactly that the enemies aren't challenging or anything, but simply that they never do enough damage. You can get your butt kicked pretty bad, but if you have more than 5 hearts or so, you're still probably not going to die. Not to mention that early on in the game, any respectable Zelda player is going to start loading up on fairies. That's what kills the challenge in Zelda games. It's simply hard to be killed, whereas pretty much any other enemy can be killed with just a few hits. That's not cool, dude. Does Nintendo remember the first Zelda? Yeah... good luck with never dying in that one... Remember the first Twilight Princess trailer? All the enemies approaching in the sunset from the horizon? Man, it seemed like Hyrule was going to be an epic warzone, but we don't really see any of that in the final game. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I certainly don't think it's the best game ever or nearly the best Zelda game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Spellcheck? Twilight Princess was better than Wind Waker (yes, crucify me now) because it didn't have the stupid sailing or the terrible chore that was hunting for the triforce, but it really didn't innovate that much or try anything different. I fully support the 8.8 rating.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Jeff gave Ryan an 8.8 on HotorNot out of spite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah 8.8 seemed about right to me, I remember reading the forums to topics such as "FAT ASS JEFF FAILS" and "FUCK JEFF I QUIT GS".
    Silly fanboy's.

goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By goldenmnk

lol...  well the whole topic was mainly about the hate towards criticism and modern hate towards jeffs viewpoints of 2008 games, not about his TP review, but yea i thought TP was more of the same

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

I don't really think that needs to be remembered, especially in this way of an annual basis....there's nothing to celebrate for that, and its best left forgotten. GB is here now out of the aftermath, and I'm happy for that, but its best left there. Also, anyone who got mad because TP got an 8.8 is a retard, it deserved what it got, or lower imo, it just wanted to be the second coming of OoT so to speak, and it failed.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By weltal

Fanboys didn't like a review. Yup. That's not really a Jeff special circumstance, that's any reviewer ever.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
    goldenmnk said:
    "As of now, we are in the Approximate 1 year point Jeff gertsmangate tragedy.

Who?
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Shadow
    Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Woffls

8.8 would be fine in a world where worse games didn't get scored higher, but they did.
    The game deserved 8.8 out of 10, but it was way better than a lot of games that scored higher. In that regard 8.8 wasn't a fair score, but what can one man do?

I don't think we should be seeing more than a handful of games a year getting over a 9, sure as hell don't see it with movies. Of course this will take a LONG time because not everyone will take that leap to give, for example, Gears of War 2 the 7.5 it deserves.

Kman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Kman

Fanboys will be fanboys they would have been mad with a 9.4 whining about how it shoulda been at least a 9.6.  However that's in the past now, everyone wants to relish in the good ol days, but if we ever want a website to live up to that high standard we can't keep living in the past and comparing giantbomb to the gallup/gerstmann era...as good as they were this is Giant Bombs time....AND IT WILL BE REMEMBERED AS GLORIUS.

PS i know that the relishing in the good ol days wasnt the original focus of the topic, i just thought it should be said

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By guiseppe

If that review taught us anything it's just how insane rabid fanboys can be. I mean... 8.8 is "great", and they probably all expected 11.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Rowr

old.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By MasturbatingBear

His twilight princess review was written perfectly. I didn't see what the problem was. 8.8 is a great score (literally labeled as great on the site) and this is from a huge Nintendo fan that loves the Zelda series. If people get so upset over a review they need to kill themselves. Also this is late and no one cares cause of all of your spelling errors.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By breadfan

You think that people would have gotten over this.  I mean did a game review really effect your life that dramatically?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shadow

Also...you must remember remember the 28th of november, not the 30th.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By StaticFalconar

You make it sound like 8.8 is a bad score or something, as much as people hate Jeff and put death threats on him, more people love him or else we all wouldn't be here now would we.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By TomA

The only thing bad i have ever seen written about any of the GB staff is about when the bombcast sucks cause they drink and swear too much(which they do sometimes).And Rich Gallup was the voice of the podcast not Jeff,he was like the Robin to Rich's Batman,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.