Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kickstarter Funded

Concept »

Games that were funded through Kickstarter.

Which Kickstarter-Funded Game Do You Regret Pledging For?

• 93 results
    psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#1  Edited By psykhophear

Mine is NightCry; it was supposed to be the spiritual successor to the classic Japan-only Clock Tower game but it ended up being a complete mess. The lip syncing was bad, the motion capture was non-existent, and the controls sucked balls. I was very very disappointed!

I have no idea what went wrong but in my opinion, they should've stuck with the original formula of 2D sprites rather than going 3D, in which they failed miserably as shown. The dev said a mobile version might be coming soon but I doubt it'll make a difference.

"Somebody get me outta this low-budget horror video game!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Looks like Sweet D from Always Sunny.

I've never backed a kickstarter. I don't browse that website so whenever I've heard of a game I've been slightly interested in on there it's usually after it hit it's goal.

koelsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By koelsh

So far all 5 that I've backed. Two haven't even shipped since backing them in 2014 and those that have I've either lost interest in them or they're no longer on the platform that I want to play on.

Oh well lesson learned. Don't pay attention to "upcoming games" and instead watch the recent releases for things that are interesting.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've backed this Raspberry Pi frontend called Ignition. It's supposed to make your ROM collection easy to play and manage, added achievements to all the retro games and even supported friends lists and netplay. The community around it got impatient because the developer was very uncommunicative and that made him look slow. Now it seems he just bolted. I only backed 5 bucks but it was also my first (and so far only) Kickstarter I backed.

It's a real bummer, I was looking forward to it, even bought a Pi specifically for it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I try to look at backing Kickstarters as giving developers I like a little bonus. If something good comes out of it, great. If not, I can say I gave the Space Quest guys a sandwich or something. I do sorta regret not opting out of the Hero U emails though because everything about that game bums me out,

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khessed said:

I've backed this Raspberry Pi frontend called Ignition. It's supposed to make your ROM collection easy to play and manage, added achievements to all the retro games and even supported friends lists and netplay. The community around it got impatient because the developer was very uncommunicative and that made him look slow. Now it seems he just bolted. I only backed 5 bucks but it was also my first (and so far only) Kickstarter I backed.

It's a real bummer, I was looking forward to it, even bought a Pi specifically for it.

Maybe Nintendo killed him

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Warlocks and Starlight Inception are the only Kickstarter projects I regret backing, because I never received codes for the games and the developers have been unresponsive to complaints.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@floydeo said:
    @khessed said:

Maybe Nintendo killed him

Reggie busting down the front door down, crushing the dude's skull in his own hands.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although a few I've backed actually came out in all honesty I regret backing them all. I've played so few of them and by the time they finally came out I was either busy with something else or had lost interest. Or I tried them for a while and they just kinda weren't good.

None of them ended up needing my cash and most of them went on heavy discounted sales pretty soon after their launch. So in effect I've wasted a fair amount of money on them.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seeing this thread made me go back and search for all the crowd-funded campaigns I backed and overall I feel pretty good about all the projects I gave money to. Having said that, I don't think I have played half of the games that have released and let alone finished any of them. If there was a project that I kinda regret backing, it might be République. I backed it because of the names involved and the concept seemed cool but once it got released I had no interest in playing it.

1. Broken Age - backed in 2012, fully released in 2015, finally got my physical boxed copy in late 2016
    2. République - backed in 2012, fully released in 2016
    3. Wasteland 2 - backed in 2012, fully released in 2014
    4. Pillars of Eternity - backed in 2012, fully released in 2015
    5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - backed in 2015, still in development
    6. Shenmue III - backed in 2015, still in development
    7. Divinity: Original Sin II - backed in 2015, still in development
    8. Indivisible - backed in 2015, still in development
    9. Secret Hitler - backed in 2015, released in 2016

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

The two Kickstarter projects I regret funding are Republique and Cosmic Star Heroine. Republique's PC version was in development FOREVER, and I stopped caring about it after that. Cosmic Star Heroine also just took forever to come out, although it at least it came out on all platforms concurrently when it was finally done. I ended up getting refunds for both because I was tired of waiting.

As for my other funded projects, I also put money into Dreamfall Chapters, the Veronica Mars movie, Neverending Nightmares, and episodes 2 and 3 of Dysfunctional Systems. Both Dreamfall Chapters and the Veronica Mars movie turned out fine: maybe not as good as I'd hoped but still worthwhile. Neverending Nightmares was memorably spooky, but I put WAY too much money into it ($70) both because I wanted the bonus developer's notebook and because I felt slightly sorry for Matt Gilgenbach's progress on his campaign. Dysfunctional Systems ended up falling through, but I didn't take a refund because the developer sounded like they were in dire straits and I didn't want to be a dick.

Overall, I feel my Kickstarter support has been pretty middle-of-the-road. I ended up getting some neat stuff out of it, but it's also been kind of a hassle waiting for things to finally happen with most of my projects. I would maybe be willing to support something new, but it would have to be something pretty spectactular to get my money at this point, I think.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ToxicFruit

Takedown: Red Sabre is the only one i regret backing. I was looking for a new Tactical FPS game and thought it looked quite interesting. It was getting a bit of coverage and TotalBiscuit had some good things to say about it. I think most people regret backing it because it released a broken mess, crashing constantly and was riddled with bugs.

I'v not played it since launch so I have no idea if it got better. It still has Mostly negative reviews on steam.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

Mostly feel OK, but I wouldn't back Sekei Project again. Radio silence on missing their planning delivery dates for Root Double (despite reviewers getting sent keys) and the Vita version appears to have vanished into the aether.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I have only ever backed one actually. It was prison architect and I def thought it was worth it, so no regrets.

Only other thing I think I have ever backed on Kickstarter also was the new MST3K and while there was one joke thread that I thought was kinda weird, other than that I loved it! [I mean, I just felt they felt like the need to sing something at least once per movie[in the watching it part, not the skits between] and often there wasn't much of a joke there that justified it in most cases..., but other than that I very much enjoyed it and that is nothing but a nitpick].

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bill_mcneal

The only one I regret backing is Stonehearth. I think they're on Alpha 21 or something. Original release date was...I don't remember. All I know is the KS campaign was finished four years ago today.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
    deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel minimal regret over backing Broken Age, even though I think part 2 is trash. Mighty no. 9... well that's a different story. I kind of don't even care that the code they gave me doesn't work.

Technically not a Kickstarter, but I'm already fine with what I contributed to the Fig for Psychonauts 2. The first game is one of my favourite games of all time, more than anything I'm glad that a sequel is seeing the light of day.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haha just looking at the opening of this Nightcry game on youtube, I definitely get the GBEAST letsplay feeling from it, they should check it out.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barkley 2 is the only game kickstarter I've backed, and I have no reason to believe it won't come out at some point. There are plenty of games to play in the meantime.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bill_mcneal: I think Maia beats that - finished it's Kickstarter in November 2012. Estimated Date Novemeber 2013. It's on Alpha 0.61. Has been selling at 50% on Steam on several occasions in Early Access.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By duke_of_the_bump

Strafe. It's not terrible, just not at all what I was expecting. If I had looked a little more closely at the description I probably would have realized it's a PDL, but I just saw the screen shots and thought "OMG Quake" and pressed the button. This emptor didn't caveat enough. Oh well, just $15, no huge loss. I've been pleased with every other game I've backed so far.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Teddie

Never backed one, I was doing a "wait and see" approach to how the Double Fine Adventure thing turned out since it was the biggest success story at the time. Kinda put me off ever participating in one, not necessarily because the game was outrageously bad or anything, it was just inconsistent quality-wise and questionably developed.

I guess I kinda have the opposite problem, I never heard about the kickstarter for a few games that I love, and wish I had put some money towards them. But then, I wouldn't have backed something like Undertale ever and that's the one I have the most "regret" over.

What I'm saying is, I have trust issues.

Avatar image for synthesis_landale
    synthesis_landale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Broken Age. I almost didn't back it and wish I hadn't after they reused most of the assets of the first part for the second half... It also took them FOREVER to ship the boxed copies... Like, It wasn't very long ago when I'd finally gotten it.

Mighty No 9... That one didn't ping my Bad-Kickstarter-dar at all... I was way wrong. Not only was the game mediocre, I still haven't gotten most of my backer rewards including a physical copy and the art book.

That said I have supported dozens of Kickstarters and was mostly happy with all of them excluding the above. The big standouts being HuniePop, Book of Unwritten Tales, The Dwarves, and especially Tex Murphy. Sure the game could have been more updated with the times but it was exactly what I wanted, More FMV Tex...

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#25  Edited By alistercat

I watched a lets play of that game last night and it looked terrible. I'm so sorry.

I regret all of them. Not because they were bad games, but because they were well funded anyway and I could have just bought them when finished. Still haven't played Broken Age or Massive Chalice. I was happy to give Brad Muir my money though.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There was a Tactics style game that got kickstarted a while back called Unsung Story: A tale of guardians. Unfortunately, communication with backers became sparse, and they (supposedly) refocused elements of the game into things that weren't originally promised. The development really just seem to have fizzled out. These days the comment section on the backer page is riddled with complaining about how poor the whole thing went. Thankfully, that was my only burn with the platform so far. I don't frequent the site anymore so me backing stuff is few and far between these days.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nnickers

I think I put something like $75 into Hex: Shards of Fate, which was my only experience with Kickstarter. I gave them that much because the game sounded incredible and when the higher tiers through in a bunch of boosters and draft tickets, well, how could anyone say no to that value! All of those boosters are still unopened because I can't be bothered to parse out their draconian deck-building and collection UI.

The alpha was delivered to backers almost a year late, and when the game finally reached Steam several years late they called it a final version when it still played very, very close to that original alpha. The UI is a complete nightmare and would have been considered poor twenty years ago. The developers partnered with a shady South American publisher after the funding campaign that had you buying in-game currency from a foreign-language website. Oh, and they had already launched several expansions with paid content before they launched version 1.0 which, as mentioned, was a laughable excuse for a final client.

To stop myself from ranting further: the product delivered is simply so far off from what was described in their campaign that it lead to my never even looking at another Kickstarter campaign again.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cerberus3dog
    • Star Citizen - Backed at the beginning. The project has eclipsed the original scope of the game I funded and is now a completely different beast.
    • Godus - Sigh, I fell for the allure of Molyneux again. Clunky, incomplete, and frustrating.
    • Republique - From Ryan Payton, who helped with Halo 4 and MGS4, Republique ended up being unintuitive and mechanically boring. Very disappointed.
    • Double Fine Adventure - Got caught up in the hype and gave them $100. Smh I don't know what I was thinking. At least I liked the game at the end.
    OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Citizen. I backed it for like $60 when it was still on Kickstarter and I just can't keep up with all the builds and things so at this point I'm just waiting for the release of the game in order to play it. This was the only game I've put money into via kickstarter.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By 49th

The only game I have ever backed is Bloodstained and I'm apprehensive about it. From the little I've seen of the game my gut instinct is that it won't be great.

Especially after similar games have come out like Hollow Knight, which was incredible, and Dead Cells, I'm not sure Bloodstained can top them.

Rocketskates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amplitude. Just because I sold my PS4 before they had chance to send out keys.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I backed Ghost Song: A Journey of Hope through the developer's site after the KS had already ended, so I guess that counts? It was only 15€ and I wasn't exactly running out of money back then, so I don't know if I regret it. But to quote myself from 3 years and 26 days ago...

First project I've (sorta) backed up in Kickstater, then. Hope the release stays within this month, I've craved for a Metroid-like game (in terms of visual and sound design) for a long time now.

...I guess it would've been nice if the game had come out by now already. My other non-KS crowdfunded project was a physical copy of The Babadook book and though it took a long while to happen, it eventually did and the final result was awesome.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#33  Edited By Slag

Nothing, because I don't back things on kickstarter.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I regret any of them necessarily. Most of what I've backed have been western style RPGs that have shipped (Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2) and that I evaluated carefully before laying down any cash. I think all of those have more or less turned out as I expected given the experienced teams behind them.

I also backed Darkest Dungeon and that's actually been my favorite game out of early access/kickstarter things I've backed. That one was more of risk because I'm pretty sure that team was relatively green but they were really upfront and thoughtful about their design plans from the start and their technology base seemed sound verses what they were attempting. Looking forward to future projects from that team.

The one other thing I've funded that I have mixed feeling about is Camelot Unchained. Now the huge caveat is that I backed that project with a huge amount of skepticism because I know it's a really niche interest with a developer who has stumbled more than once. If I hadn't had some of the most memorable experiences in my life playing RvR in Dark Age of Camelot then I'd have passed on this one without blinking an eye. I backed it with the knowledge that chances are this project has a high likelihood of failing but it's one of the few chances I'll ever see an RvR focused MMO again.

WorldDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one that comes to mind is Yooka-Laylee. I wasn't super in love with Broken Age (the game) but I really enjoyed the documentary series, so it was worth it just for that.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

I have only backed a few things so far, and I am happy with all of them. I backed Double Fine Adventure and Amplitude at enough to get a code for the game and Yooka-Laylee for $110 to get the special Kickstarter Backer physical PC version, which I was also quite happy with.

jollywoggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drifter

Dead State

M.O.R.E.

Shroud of the Avatar

Battle Worlds:Kronos

Planet Explorers

Jagged Alliance:Flashback

Massive Challice

All this plus the Ouya to boot!

HumaTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a Tactics style game that got kickstarted a while back called Unsung Story: A tale of guardians. Unfortunately, communication with backers became sparse, and they (supposedly) refocused elements of the game into things that weren't originally promised. The development really just seem to have fizzled out. These days the comment section on the backer page is riddled with complaining about how poor the whole thing went. Thankfully, that was my only burn with the platform so far. I don't frequent the site anymore so me backing stuff is few and far between these days.

This one. I pulled the trigger on it almost immediately because they hyped it on the involvement of Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics), but he almost immediately started distancing himself from the project, saying (basically) that he'd only given them design docs, and wouldn't be closely involved in development.

I haven't even visited the page in months, and consider it a lost cause. Fortunately, every other project I've backed has been released and has enjoyed varying degrees of success.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I feel pretty okay about most of the games I've funded. That said... Torment: Tides of Numenera was a bit of a disappointment. Somehow, I'm managing to enjoy Yooka-Laylee more despite that game's obvious problems.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psykhophear: Mighty No. 9... but I didn't put much into it.

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mighty No. 9...I did it because of the hype, then heard about how bad it was and didn't even play it once I got the key. lol

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Oh yeah, I also came upon another one while I was perusing my backed projects today. My very first backed project on Kickstarter was a game called Asylum. If you remember a horror point and click game called Scratches, it's from the same people. I think Patrick played Scratches on one of the Spookin with Scoops years ago. In retrospect it's not something very interesting, nor is the studio's newer game, but back in those starry eyed days of early Kickstarter (as in, after Broken age blew up and everyone started paying attention to the platform) I was just looking for stuff to back. The estimated delivery was December 2013. No, you didn't read that wrong - 2013. And I still have not received a copy of the game. However, I will give the dev credit, as it seems they are still very much working on the game and have consistently communicated with the backers on what's going on. I can't say I regret backing it, but in hindsight I just don't find it a very interesting game to have backed. So in that respect, I find it unfortunate at the very least.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

None. I backed Broken Age, FTL, and Planetary Annihilation. PA was a little barebones, but I played a ton of LAN games with my buddy, so it was well worth it for me.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only backed Pillars of Eternity and despite having not found the time to finish the game, I have no regrets.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#46  Edited By Superharman

It's funny, because while I don't necessarily regret backing certain Kickstarters, I've only actually played/finished some of the games I've backed. A lot of this has to do with the fact that there is so much excitement around the initial Kickstarter and then everything dies off and by the time the game actually comes out, I've moved on. Here is a list, I should note that some of these I forgot about:

Games that have come out and I finished:

Leisure Suit Larry Remaster: Played it, finished it, forgot about it. Average remake of an average game. Regret Level - High

Tesla Effect: Finished it, loved it. Regret Level - Low

Sportsfriends: Had some good matches with friends but haven't really gone back to it. Regret Level - Medium

Massive Chalice: Finished it, got seriously addicted to it, loved it. Regret Level - Low

Games that have come out, played and didn't finish:

Broken Age: Played the first episode and loved it but fell off a little into Episode 2. Regret Level - Low

Shadowrun Returns: Played and enjoyed it for a bit but fell off it. Regret Level - Low

Games that have come out that I haven't even/barely even played:

Wasteland 2: Sitting in my steam library, never started playing it. Regret Level - Medium

The Banner Saga: Booted it up briefly but figured I'd need to give it a good amount of time to get into, never went back to it. Regret Level - Medium

Jane Jensen's Moebius: Sitting in my steam library, never started playing it. Regret Level - High

Republique: Sitting in my steam library, never started playing it, bought into the hype. Regret Level - High

Spate: Played it for a bit, didn't get into it, haven't gone back. Regret Level - Medium

Pillars of Eternity: Haven't booted it up, love Obsidian though and hopefully will one day get to it. Regret Level - Low

Sunset: Haven't booted it up Regret Level - Low

Games that haven't come out:

Spaceventure: Successfully funded June 2012 - Sounds like a damn nightmare development and updates are almost aggressive. Regret level - High

Star Citizen: Successfully funded November 2012 - All I want is a single player story driven space shooter, everything else about this project is just fluff to me, should have waited to give it any money. Regret level - High

Barkley 2: Successfully funded December 2012 - Still sounds fun and the occasional updates are nice. Backed at a low level so I'll still give it a look. Regret level - Medium

Radio the Universe: Successfully funded January 2013 - Nothing updates, despite backing at a low level, I just know I'm probably not going to play it. Regret level - High

Bloom: Memories: Successfully funded December 2013 - Don't really regret giving money to this project, will give it a go. Regret level - Low

Last Life: Successfully funded May 2014 - Last update was June 2016, creator went dark on Twitter and so did Double Fine who were supposedly supporting this. Regret level - High

Shenmue 3: Successfully funded July 2015 - Yeah so, I always said that I'd pay money for it if they ever did it and stuck to that. There is a high probability this will be bad/never come out, I regret nothing. Regret level - Low

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phew! You really dodged the bullet there. Congrats!

I came close to backing Mighty No. 9 since in the past I have really liked the Mega Man games. I'm glad I didn't get in on that since it seemed like Inafune was lying to people for years about the status of the game.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By psykhophear

I backed up Bloodstained and Shenmue III too. Looks like we're on the same boat; waiting and waiting and waiting....

Seeing this thread made me go back and search for all the crowd-funded campaigns I backed and overall I feel pretty good about all the projects I gave money to. Having said that, I don't think I have played half of the games that have released and let alone finished any of them. If there was a project that I kinda regret backing, it might be République. I backed it because of the names involved and the concept seemed cool but once it got released I had no interest in playing it.

1. Broken Age - backed in 2012, fully released in 2015, finally got my physical boxed copy in late 2016
    2. République - backed in 2012, fully released in 2016
    3. Wasteland 2 - backed in 2012, fully released in 2014
    4. Pillars of Eternity - backed in 2012, fully released in 2015
    5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - backed in 2015, still in development
    6. Shenmue III - backed in 2015, still in development
    7. Divinity: Original Sin II - backed in 2015, still in development
    8. Indivisible - backed in 2015, still in development
    9. Secret Hitler - backed in 2015, released in 2016

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. NightCry is the right contestant for Let's Plays. I'm surprised none of my favourite YouTubers have played this game.

haha just looking at the opening of this Nightcry game on youtube, I definitely get the GBEAST letsplay feeling from it, they should check it out.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Armikrog, was pitched as a spiritual successor to The Neverhood but turned out to be a buggy, poorly designed mess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.