Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Killzone 3 Could Actually Have Interesting Characters?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

The worst thing about Killzone 2 (aside from the fabled controls) was the characters. The awful, awful characters. With the sequel out in around a month, I've been wondering whether they've actually managed to produce an interesting cast this time. We know the controls are fixed (the beta was awesome), but I've been worrying about the re-appearance of Rico and company.

It's not much to go on, but this shortened story trailer appears to have rectified some problems. The characters seem a little more rounded and the voice acting is a big step forward. It's still far too early to say for certain, but I thought this was a really impressive trailer.

Can't wait for the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

If it has Rico and he doesn't die, it'll be the worst game I've ever played.

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By stafax

I really hope this game has a good story and interesting characters. I quit playing the KZ2 campaign because the characters were just cookie cutter soldiers and the game gave me no reason to care for them or to care for what was going on. I also hated the fact that I felt like Sev was 4 feet tall.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777
    @benjaebe said:
    " If it has Rico and he doesn't die, it'll be the worst game I've ever played. "
    Well... I dunno about worst, but he seriously needs to die. Bonus points if you get to kill him yourself!
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By imsh_pl
    @get2sammyb: Why didn't you like the controls?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Enigma777

That's an epic trailer though. I am excite!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killzone 3, is at the moment a kernel of shit from what Killzone 2 did storywise. 
    What I would've loved would be that the game switched you to playing as several Helghast for years, maybe even generations leading up to the point we are now. 
    As far as I'm concerned, I have way more sympathy for them and would love to see some Helghast  soldiers fleshed out as real people having to deal with these stupid assholes invading their planet by the time we catch up with the time line of Killzone 2. 
    Of course, I learned that asking for any pathos and character development from Guerilla is moot when they were more excited about the loading screens for Killzone 2.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Enigma777
    @TeflonBilly said:
    " Killzone 3, is at the moment a kernel of shit from what Killzone 2 did storywise. What I would've loved would be that the game switched you to playing as several Helghast for years, maybe even generations leading up to the point we are now. As far as I'm concerned, I have way more sympathy for them and would love to see some Helghast  soldiers fleshed out as real people having to deal with these stupid assholes invading their planet by the time we catch up with the time line of Killzone 2. Of course, I learned that asking for any pathos and character development from Guerilla is moot when they were more excited about the loading screens for Killzone 2. "
    Well... The Helghast *did* invade Vekta first. It's not like they didn't ask for it. Sure, they may have been oppressed and exploited, but  they could have gone for a peaceful solution or even an economic victory instead of barging on the planet and killing everyone. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw it as an even more savage French or Russian Revolution. 
    The ISA brought this shit on themselves. 
    Of course, flip the coin again and you can draw parallels to the Helghast being Nazi's by "kinda annexing" Vekta as if it was Poland. 
    The Killzone universe had some great potential to tell a compelling story. Too bad it's been marred by haphazard and shoddy writing.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Griddler

Brian Cox.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Pibo47

JUST KILL RICO! I hate that motherfucker, everything goes wrong because that guy is a fucking moron.  
    Also, the helghast are the good guys.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Vorbis

The new Generals will never be as good as Visari and Rico is a total twat, but it does look alot better than Killzone 2, looking forward to it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Looks cool! And the story seems really interesting.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By sammo21
    @get2sammyb: As long as someone kills Rico....violently....I will count Killzone 3 as a strong GotY candidate.  Rico is the worst thing about any game with the Killzone title.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By TheHBK
    @imsh_pl:  
    I think the idea of weighty controls is cool, if the rest of the game lined up with that idea.  But the fact that enemies can take 10 bullets to the chest, then you start making me feel like you want to be realistic or you want to be Unreal Tournament, you cant be both.  If enemies went down with 1 headshot or 2 shots to the chest, imagine how much better youd feel about the controls?  But the devs dont do that.  Though I wonder about the controls.  An M16 or M4 assault rifle is not very heavy...  I understand weightiness on a RPG.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

If you mean "oh they're ripping off that dude with the scars from Avatar now, that's interesting" then yes I believe they'll have interesting characters.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

All I got from that was ''HEY I CAN DO THE MODERN WARFARE TRAILER THING TOO!!1111'''.

But the game itself looks good. Killzone 2 was great, hoping they can work some magic again.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ch3burashka

Nah dawg.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

As a video game trailer lover I gotta say that trailer doesn't really do much for me. I think it may have actually lowered my already low expectations.

That said, I am curious to see what they do with multiplayer and how it plays with the Move.

Globox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Globox82

didn't care about KZ2, but when i saw this trailer i got it and going to play it. I am SP guy and this type of stuff works on me. KZ3 seems to have more serious and interesting story then KZ2. Lets hope KZ3 can be for KZ2 what was Uncharted 2 for Uncharted 1. Jump from very good game with potential, to excellent GOTY material

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SSully

Looks like they invested in some better mocap, the facial animations in KZ2 were pretty horrible. I am looking forward to this, despite KZ2 having some pretty horrible character development, i still enjoyed it. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive

the game has outstanding motion capture and voice acting. theyve really stepped their game up in those departments so yes its going to have a much better campaign story-wise. gameplay wise i LOVED kilzone 2 so i cant wait to see whats next.  

mp is where killzone 2 shined and thats really what i am looking forward to playing the most. 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By imsh_pl
    @TheHBK: Yeah, I can kinda see that.

I just remember that I loved K2's heavy feel, but then I recalled that it only worked well in the multiplayer. I think the enemies were a bit too tough in the campaign, though.

Nevertheless, I loved the multiplayer in that game - cutting each match into 5 parts worked brilliantly, as there was always a chance to win. In CoD, if you're losing by a good amount
    of points, it's almost impossible to try to make a comeback.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shinri

I can certainly wait for it.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Gabriel

Malcom Mcdowell helps.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By beforet

The trailer is not much to go on, and Rico seems like his douchebag self, though I think that was him getting punched. Which is nice.

On the other hand, this video reminded me how much I loved the British Nazi Helghast.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Donos

My impression is that they've got a fairly weak base story/characters/universe and are adding as much production value as they can to try and make up for it. I don't know if the main characters are supposed to be hatred-inducing to tell a grittier story, but it doesn't work when I the player am forced to make the short-sighted, fairly clearly bad decision to not kill/incapacitate/court marshall Rico even after he murders another soldier. (Remember that scene in the mech? That guy didn't get back up.) I'd like to think the writers can get their heads out of their asses and stop pidgeonholing me with this stuff for KZ3, but I doubt they will.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By CL60

I still hate how the Helghast are portrayed as the bad guys.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mordukai
    @get2sammyb: Was that female helgast soldiers I saw at the end?  

@ryanwho
    said:
    " If you mean "oh they're ripping off that dude with the scars from Avatar now, that's interesting" then yes I believe they'll have interesting characters. "  
    You're just one big fucking ray of sunshine aren't you. I really don't think they about ripping Avatar which wasn't that original to begin with. GG probably had that character design way before KZ2 came out.  

Try being positive for a change man. Who knows? You might grow to like it. 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TeflonBilly said:

" Killzone 3, is at the moment a kernel of shit from what Killzone 2 did storywise. What I would've loved would be that the game switched you to playing as several Helghast for years, maybe even generations leading up to the point we are now. As far as I'm concerned, I have way more sympathy for them and would love to see some Helghast  soldiers fleshed out as real people having to deal with these stupid assholes invading their planet by the time we catch up with the time line of Killzone 2. Of course, I learned that asking for any pathos and character development from Guerilla is moot when they were more excited about the loading screens for Killzone 2. "

I'd also like a game where you play as the Helghast, but it's not going to happen in the current story arc.

@Donos said:

" My impression is that they've got a fairly weak base story/characters/universe and are adding as much production value as they can to try and make up for it. I don't know if the main characters are supposed to be hatred-inducing to tell a grittier story, but it doesn't work when I the player am forced to make the short-sighted, fairly clearly bad decision to not kill/incapacitate/court marshall Rico even after he murders another soldier. (Remember that scene in the mech? That guy didn't get back up.) I'd like to think the writers can get their heads out of their asses and stop pidgeonholing me with this stuff for KZ3, but I doubt they will. "

That's actually not true. The universe and back story is the best part of Killzone. That's actually why people were so disappointed that Killzone 2 failed to explore any of it.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By AuthenticM

Rico needs to die.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Red12b
    Shift_andrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By Shift_andrew

I think KZ2 was such a drag because the first game was so character-focused, what with the past between Templar and Lugar and then the conflict between Hakha (which I can't remember how to spell) and Rico. I'm also thinking that maybe Rico was more tollerable in the first game because he had Hakha to keep him in check. I like Sev, but he certainly never does anything to balance the stupid of Rico.

I do have hopes that Sev will be more fleshed out this time around, because I think he had potential. The two new Helghast leaders look interesting as well. I've always really liked the universe that Killzone takes place in, so here's hoping the story in KZ3 will be worthy of the potential.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.