Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Why do people think this looks good?

• 124 results
    TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By TheLeamenator

I like fantasy RPGs and all, but this just looks generic and boring. So, I tried the demo... it WAS generic and boring. What makes this unique and/or good for people?

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lagaroth

Because some people have different opinions on what is generic and boring than you do. /gasp

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ericdrum

For me it's that the other RPGs that I have played where there is a ton of quests to do and lots of loot don't have this fun of combat. I'm actually curious as to what other games do what Reckoning does.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nottle

@Lagaroth said:

Because some people have different opinions on what is generic and boring than you do. /gasp

I don't get how generic can be an opinion.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

colors, but were all subject to our opinion... go play something else, bye.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Nottle said:

@Lagaroth said:

Are you trying to not understand on purpose? Thinking something is generic is an opinion…

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Sergio

I liked that it's more colorful than Skyrim, but outside of the elves, I thought the character models were terrible. Part of that may have been the 360 (I would play it on PC if I werre to buy it). Hopefully the bad animations were due to old code used for the demo.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ericdrum

@Nottle: Generic: of,applicableto,orreferringtoallthemembersofa genus,class,group,orkind; general.

If I think the combat is fresh and new for the genre and someone else doesn't, then we have a differing view on what is generic.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By david3cm

I guess I just like liking things.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artgarcrunkle

We've been conditioned to accept mediocrity and dismiss any criticism as "opinions"

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Looks like shit. Other then that, I found it really fun. LOVE the combat and progression, and the story seems neat.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack268

Because it looks like 3rd person Skyrim with less bugs and combat that isn't a snorefest.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By galiant

Demo did nothing for me.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

@TheLeamenator: That's what I've been saying for weeks.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By project343

@TheLeamenator: Pre-release previews are coming in fairly positive, and people enjoy their light-hearted RPG adventures. IGN's Colin Moriarty seems to really enjoy it, judging by the impressions in his 9-page review in progress.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cloudenvy

Because opinions!

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By altairre

Because: opinions!

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By nohthink

1) I love Diablo style of games. Any RPG with skill trees, I'll give it a shot

2) I got a thing for loots.

3) I love open world RPG games

4) I enjoyed the demo thoroughly.

5) And, like other people say, opinions.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Iron_Tool

Because you touch yourself at night!

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zithe

I think the game seems awesome, mechanically, but I am pretty disappointed with how it looks. Really low polygon counts and muddy textures on some of that stuff. I hope the PC version will be moddable.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By altairre

@Cloudenvy said:

Because opinions!

Seems like we thought of the same thing at the same time.

TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By TheLeamenator

@Iron_Tool: Don't we all?

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By cstrang

I'm surprised Seppli isn't in here with a fucking shotgun or something.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 9cupsoftea

1. Go into every thread.

2. Ignore post.

3. Say everything is an opinion in as trite a way as possible.

3. Feel part of GB community.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nottle

@ericdrum said:

@Nottle: Generic: of,applicableto,orreferringtoallthemembersofa genus,class,group,orkind; general.

If I think the combat is fresh and new for the genre and someone else doesn't, then we have a differing view on what is generic.

@ModerateViolence said:

@Nottle said:

@Lagaroth said:

Are you trying to not understand on purpose? Thinking something is generic is an opinion…

But isn't "new" something that can actually be measured in some way? If a game is doing something new than it is doing something new, you can't argue it isn't. The same is true for just the opposite. If a game is doing something that is old, something generic, than it has been done before. With any fantasy thing ever that derives it's ideas from LoTR or D&D you can trace ideas back to what defined that genre. You can point to any other fantasy universe, such as Lord of the rings, Dragon Age, the Elder Scrolls games, D&D, and you'll probably see some things that Kingdoms of Amalur is doing.

It's not a matter of opinion, if Kingdoms of Amalur's setting resembles its genre, that makes it generic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nottle said:

@ericdrum said:

@ModerateViolence said:

@Nottle said:

@Lagaroth said:

But isn't "new" something that can actually be measured in some way? If a game is doing something new than it is doing something new, you can't argue it isn't. The same is true for just the opposite. If a game is doing something that is old, something generic, than it has been done before. With any fantasy thing ever that derives it's ideas from LoTR or D&D you can trace ideas back to what defined that genre. You can point to any other fantasy universe, such as Lord of the rings, Dragon Age, the Elder Scrolls games, D&D, and you'll probably see some things that Kingdoms of Amalur is doing.

It's not a matter of opinion, if Kingdoms of Amalur's setting resembles its genre, that makes it generic.

I think you're still missing the point, he can think it's generic and he can be wrong in thinking that, that's an opinion.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nottle

@ModerateViolence: Ahh, But then that gets into territory of "can opinions be wrong?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nottle said:

@ModerateViolence: Ahh, But then that gets into territory of "can opinions be wrong?"

I definitely think that.

Baldvinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Baldvinb

@Nottle said:

No. You are wrong. That´s my opinion.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hockeymask27

Because!

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Commisar123

I'll be honest I'm kinda surprised too, the demo seemed kinda bad, but I'll wait and see how it reviews.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo

Because people spend a lot of time on Giant Bomb, are strongly influenced by the opinions of the GB staff, and the GB staff have a good friend working on the game in question?

What do I win?

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bwast

Look to the east on a day when the clouds are lowest. A sign will appear and reveal the truth. Only then will the Kingdoms welcome you. My brothers and I who have been awakened to the truth are patiently waiting for your ascendance. May the Schilling guide you. SALVA! TORE! SALVA! TORE!

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By raviolisumo

Because this game has been fronted as a game people should care about, therefore they do.

c0kemusheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By c0kemusheen

I believe people are hoping for Amalur to be everything that Skyrim was not (all the streamlining and removed features from previous games) It also has some good names behind it. All in all I think it will be a fun game but nothing ground-breaking, I will pick it up when it's 20$ a few months from now

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hosstile17

@Nottle said:

@ericdrum said:

@ModerateViolence said:

@Nottle said:

@Lagaroth said:

There isn't a quantatative measurement for genre originality or freshness. Also, even if there was, it wouldn't account for all of the people who are new to the genre. Take for instance, all of the people that ran out and bought Skyrim and had a blast with it that had not previously invested themselves in an open world RPG. This game is categorically different from that game within the confines of the RPG genre. So, this game would not feel generic or stale to them in any way.

TADA!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karkarov

Imma go out on a limb on this one and say..... Because it does? I played the demo and overall the start is fairly generic, the graphics are also sort of tired tuned up WoW/90's comics fare, but the character customization, combat responsiveness, and shear amount of crap to do were all there in spades. For people who like open world style RPG's with lots of depth this is going to be a solid choice. I am one of those people.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By fobwashed

@Nottle said:

@ericdrum said:

@ModerateViolence said:

@Nottle said:

@Lagaroth said:

I think classifying something as generic depends on the scope the individual doing the classification is using. The narrower the scope you are using to define the group/class/etc, the more things that can fit into it while the wider the scope and finer the details you're looking at, the fewer things that can be considered generic. For instance, if I'm thinking of a group in terms of you run from left to right and jump on platforms, every single game that uses those mechanics are part of that group and so every single platformer is generic. While if I start to become more specific in that it's a game that does those previous things but also, you collect coins and getting 100 = an extra life, the increase in requirements will cull a lot of games out of the initial generic pool. Those in that group are generic, while all others are not in this specific instance.

So in a way, it's a matter of opinion but not on whether something is generic or not, but based on the prerequisites the individual is using to classify the group they're lumping something into. Also, the way the term is being used here has the negative connotation that being generic means something is boring or unoriginal and not just that it is similar to a group of games before it. Since how boring or not fun a game is in most cases is highly subjective, I'd think here specifically, generic can be an opinion. But that's my opinion and we all know, everyone's opinion sucks but my own. Especially on the internet =)

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By themangalist

@Baldvinb said:

@Nottle said:

IN MY OPINION it looks awfully generic and boring. Wait is you thought so too? And a sizeable amount of people have the same opinion? I guess there is some truth to this "opinion".

Everything in the game is reminiscent of some other game. More so than many many other games. It's probably okay to take the good parts of games and put them together, but the serious lack of any personality really turns me off. I never understood the following to the game. I even admitted that Dragon's Dogma looked more interesting than this, in my opinion.

@9cupsoftea said:

1. Go into every thread.

2. Ignore post.

I find your opinion surprisingly right in my opinion.

DO I SERIOUSLY HAVE TO TYPE "IN MY OPINION" AFTER EVERY SENTENCE SO PEOPLE WOULD STOP STATING THE OBVIOUS? JEBUS.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mordukai

@Lagaroth said:

Different opinions?????

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themangalist said:

@Baldvinb said:

@Nottle said:

IN MY OPINION it looks awfully generic and boring. Wait is you thought so too? And a sizeable amount of people have the same opinion? I guess there is some truth to this "opinion".

Everything in the game is reminiscent of some other game. More so than many many other games. It's probably okay to take the good parts of games and put them together, but the serious lack of any personality really turns me off. I never understood the following to the game. I even admitted that Dragon's Dogma looked more interesting than this, in my opinion.

@9cupsoftea said:

1. Go into every thread.

2. Ignore post.

I find your opinion surprisingly right in my opinion.

DO I SERIOUSLY HAVE TO TYPE "IN MY OPINION" AFTER EVERY SENTENCE SO PEOPLE WOULD STOP STATING THE OBVIOUS? JEBUS.

The response people get to their opinions is directly related to the matter in which they state them, either as an unfounded majority or as a statement of fact, when people stop doing that you'll see a lot less people coming in to say it's just your opinion.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#42  Edited By Lazyaza

I like the art direction alot, the story is intriguing, the combat is very fun compared to the typical rpg offering, the voice acting is great, one guy even got me to laugh I liked his character so much. I really don't see why some jaded haters have to label it generic and bland, because the demo proved to me it is far from that. I would even go as far as to say I'm much more interested in spending alot of time with Reckoning than I am in returning to Skyrim, which I only spent about 12 hours with so far.

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Enigmatical

At first, I felt the game was "generic fantasy" also, but the more I've read and listened (especially to Jeff's impressions on the Bombcast), I'm starting to get more excited. I just think the game had a bad demo, but even there I can't blame them - trying to distill a 200 hour experience (their words) into an hour experience cannot be easy.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Christoffer

Because I'm bored of grim and bleak.

I agree that there's a weird disconnect of the art in Reckoning, as if different art directors just passed it along, but there's something to be said about the awesome environmental moods. It's a fantasy setting as I imagined it as a child, and that's what I love about it. Bright colors, no monotony, exaggerated designs.

(but I agree the characters could be given more attention, and some areas seem a bit too MMO:ish and flat).

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By rentfn

Because Rich Gallup would want us to play and like this. So I will!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Getz

What are opinions?

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Giefcookie

Played the demo and I liked it. I think people are looking forward to it because frankly, well made RPGs are rather rare.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Opinions: No allow!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Seppli
    Baldvinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Baldvinb

@themangalist said:

@Baldvinb said:

@Nottle said:

I was only replying to that sentence and was not referring to KoA:R

It was meant to be sarcastic, because "in my opinion" (yes I did) I find all that talk about peoples opinions rather useless and boring, it adds nothing to the discussion about the game or why we like it or not and then he tries to go further with it by asking if opinions can be wrong.

Some people here like the game, others don´t. I don´t care why the don´t like it, I like it and that´s enough for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.