Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Now let's talk about the ending. (Spoilers)

• 166 results
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By MancombSeepgood

I think Phelps dying came out of nowhere, if I'm honest. I mean it seems to be a trend in video games nowadays to make the main character die, but I just don't see why he was killed. There was no reason for it, really.   

Other than that, I liked the ending. I think the eulogy was one big middle finger to everything Phelps had tried to do during the game, and all his effort had been, mostly, for naught, and odd as it may sound, I think I consider that a good thing. Not for the universe but for the story, I mean. It's a great story of the little guy going against all the corrupt powers that be and ultimately losing to them. 

So, in conclusion, mixed feelings... I liked it more than I disliked it, I just wish the death didn't feel so forced.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By bybeach

To the OP, thats not what I just saw. At all. Phelps wanted the spun guy alive, but Jack won the arguement, terminated because the river was rising and Elsa needed out. Phelps was going to get screwed again, anyways. And Kelso is the way everyone wishes they and things to be, including having his very own private force to fight with him. Phelps was troubled and really didn't have friends except for the cops who, Biggs especially, ended up respecting him despite his climb up the ladder. And Elsa. It's easy to like Kelso, and misses the point of the story if you write off Phelps. He saved both Elsa and Jack in the end, and paid the Piper for his sins...

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By N7

The ending to L.A Noire was awful. It was so disconnected from the rest of the game. Cole dying didn't even make sense and there was no closure at all to the story. Like, there was nothing redeeming about the ending. There was no "FUCK YEAH! EAT IT ASSHOLE!!". It was just "omg it wus somewun from there oun yuunit!" "Oh and now Cole is dead". Wait, what?

Like, seriously? What even happened? The ending completely ruined the game for me. The fact that absolutely nothing gets tied up at the end other than Cole being dead just ruined it. I'm not going to watch a Michael Bay movie if I know nothing is going to get blown up.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By BonOrbitz

I didn't mind the ending of the L.A. Noire and understand how it operated within the genre. However, a few things:

- Phelps's death didn't have much of an impact on me because of the focus on Kelso at the end of the game. I understood Phelp's attempt at redemption, but it felt too quick and underdeveloped.

- There should have been more depth to Phelps's relationship to his family and Elsa to give more explanation to his infidelity. However, it was surprising and the character left a bad taste in my mouth.

- Playing Kelso was great and offered a nice contrast to Phelps, though the overabundance of underwhelming gun-play in the end felt rushed.

- I understand why Roy didn't get a bullet to the head, but damn. If only...

- What was with the cutscene after the credits? It was a great scene, but why feature it there?

I do have one question: In the cutscene where Phelps orders the torching of the cave/Japanese hospital, was it Courtney Sheldon who shot Phelps? If so, I take it Phelps didn't see him do it?

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By jmfinamore
    @KingWilly said:
    LA Noire was never about the corruption or the real estate scam. It was never about finding the crooks and bringing down the wrath of Justice on them. It was about Cole seeking peace for his post-war guilty conscience. If you think Cole dying in a sewer drain saving the lives of a friend he betrayed and a woman he found peace with is pointless, then I can only imagine how vapid your taste in storytelling must be. Tex being the firebug, Cole being the reason Tex snapped, and how it all tied into the man Cole was during the war and the man he became post-war was pointless to you? Or is it just because you're butthurt Cole couldn't make a ten foot jump in waist deep water Shaquille O'Niel would have trouble with?  People here are either dumb, don't know the first thing about the Noir genre, or they just really, really dislike endings that don't tie everything into a pretty bow and leave the heroes smiling while they enjoy some apple pie and wave an American flag.  Cole was a hero, in the end. He was seeking redemption and justification for his Silver Star. He found it. The bad guys got away (most of them, anyhow) and Elsa lost the one man who could bring her out of her downward spiral, but Cole's personal story saw the closure it needed. That's how noir tales go. The hero may not defeat the villain, but they most definitely find what they were looking for the entire tale.
    I think you nailed it. My only real problem is that the game could have fleshed out the characters more to make this more powerful/apparent. A lot of these bits are relegated to one or two cursory lines. I would have liked to see these issues addressed better (like, why is there only one scene with Cole and Elsa speaking truthfully?, etc). But overall, the overarching story (the one about Cole and the war) and the themes were really good. The "actual" plot (the one involving the real estate, etc) was a little convoluted and drawn out. 
    Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#156  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @KingWilly said:
    @Dookysharpgun said:
    @KingWilly: I'm not debating the genre, I'm just saying that given the five year dev cycle, you think they'd come up with a better way to kill the main character, other than having him swept away in a sewer. It seems lazy,  and the screw you idea surrounds the concept of ending the game on a pointless note. The genre is fine, but how you end a game set around that genre can say a lot about the developers who made it. It was a lazy ending, one that was just set out of opportunity, instead of an actual script orientated end that would have been more relevant to the story. Have Phelps die right before he can expose all those involved...that would have been a great end. But a sewer full of poo-water? Please...

I can right in Italics too, it proves nothing. And don't call me son.

You are so wrong it must hurt. 

LA Noire was never about the corruption or the real estate scam. It was never about finding the crooks and bringing down the wrath of Justice on them. It was about Cole seeking peace for his post-war guilty conscience. If you think Cole dying in a sewer drain saving the lives of a friend he betrayed and a woman he found peace with is pointless, then I can only imagine how vapid your taste in storytelling must be. Tex being the firebug, Cole being the reason Tex snapped, and how it all tied into the man Cole was during the war and the man he became post-war was pointless to you? Or is it just because you're butthurt Cole couldn't make a ten foot jump in waist deep water Shaquille O'Niel would have trouble with?  People here are either dumb, don't know the first thing about the Noir genre, or they just really, really dislike endings that don't tie everything into a pretty bow and leave the heroes smiling while they enjoy some apple pie and wave an American flag.  Cole was a hero, in the end. He was seeking redemption and justification for his Silver Star. He found it. The bad guys got away (most of them, anyhow) and Elsa lost the one man who could bring her out of her downward spiral, but Cole's personal story saw the closure it needed. That's how noir tales go. The hero may not defeat the villain, but they most definitely find what they were looking for the entire tale.
    Holy crap....that has to be the single most piss-poor defense I have ever heard for any game. Never mind the fact that we never hear tell of Cole's wartime actions until well after the mid-point of the game, the fact that his family are never mentioned nor even introduced to us at any point before the 'story' decides that Cole needs to cheat, just because they couldn't think of anything else, or the fact that the only glimpse we get of Tex early in the game was in a newspaper article that nobody would really pay attention to, what you are saying is that none of those things, that are highly important for an overarching plot, which RDR did very well, during the game by the way, matter at all, because Cole 'was a hero'? His fucking story didn't matter! He could have been replaced by a blow-up doll and it would have had more of a heroic story than Cole fucking Phelps! In the end, he didn't redeem himself...he cheated on his wife, betrayed his family, and in the end was more interested in closing a fucking case than putting Tex out of his misery, which Kelso did, btw. There was no closure, because there was no story. Cole was an empty husk, his story was pointless, the plots in the cases were where the focus really was. Introducing a plot 15 hours into the game, and expanding on it badly, doesn't give any sort of good ending, it just doesn't work like that. We never heard any kind of reason Cole was doing his job, other than being a by-the-book prick. The plot of Cole's life didn't work, and therefor the end, which was supposed to be fueled by this 'amazing' plot, was shallow and pointless, especially when we only get to see background on Cole in flashback scenes that don't attempt to get a foothold on a characters story right off the bat, and prove their importance.

By the way, Cole dies when he's up to his waist in water, i.e. wading in it. There was nothing said about a jump. Learn to pay attention, and not cherry pick bits and pieces, putting your own spin on it as you go. Maybe then you'll see that my tastes, along with the tastes of others, are not 'vapid'. The only thing 'vapid' here, is the so-called 'story' of LA Noire.
    InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By InternetCrab

It was a quite weird ending. I felt more bad for Phelps than disappointed after what he did with his family and his career, but in the end he showed that he would do anything to save the ones he cares about, even giving his life for it.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#158  Edited By Roomrunner
    @KingWilly said:
    @Dookysharpgun said:
    @KingWilly: I'm not debating the genre, I'm just saying that given the five year dev cycle, you think they'd come up with a better way to kill the main character, other than having him swept away in a sewer. It seems lazy,  and the screw you idea surrounds the concept of ending the game on a pointless note. The genre is fine, but how you end a game set around that genre can say a lot about the developers who made it. It was a lazy ending, one that was just set out of opportunity, instead of an actual script orientated end that would have been more relevant to the story. Have Phelps die right before he can expose all those involved...that would have been a great end. But a sewer full of poo-water? Please...

I can right in Italics too, it proves nothing. And don't call me son.

You are so wrong it must hurt. 

Wow dude, calm down.  You know, I like noir a lot.  I haven't seen every film, and don't want to do a stupid "let me teach you about film" thing, so I'll just say I like it. 

Not a whole lot of LA Noire plot points felt like Noir.  It was more of a police procedural.  Cole simply had the rug pulled out from under him.  He may have made a poor decision with the jazz singer (which is arguable, because their attraction to each other seemed more than just physical), but he didn't keep digging himself a deeper hole, like most noir characters do.  Cole was a pitiful character when you think of it.  He fits the role, but the story that plays out the whole game didn't feel oppressive like a noir film.  When we played as him, he was a supercop.  There was nothing desperate about him at all.  Frankly, the game would prob be worse if it was more like noir  The player would feel like he's losing the game the whole time, and would probably get frustrated. 

His death scene was lousy.  I'm all for Cole sacrificing himself.  That is good for his character.  But they could have created an event that had more narrative relevance.  That flood came out of nowhere, it was almost like an act of god.  It just as much impact as pushing somebody out of the way of a random bus on the street.  It was like a random event that just smacked of  "I guess we should kill this guy now."   
    You didn't get a good understanding of what impact the case had on any of the other characters (Monroe took the fall, and that was it?).    And that after credits scene... what?  Has Kojima spoiled us into thinking you only do them if you have a surprise for the player?  That was all stuff we already knew hours ago!

Love this game, but what a sloppy ending.
    jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159  Edited By jb335

Ok, one of the cardinal rules of writing:

Don't introduce a new main character in the falling action of a story. Guess what Jack Kelso is?

Yeah, Cole's a little shallow, and the whole adultery subplot was wayyy out of left field. But whatever emotional attachment I had to Cole was absolutely eliminated when I played as Kelso for the last two missions.

I don't know anything about Kelso. He calls everyone "Princess." He's working from a completely different background. If I hadn't collected any of the newspapers, I would literally know zippo about him. He's an unknown character compared to Cole, who we've at least had the entire game to get to know, even if there's not much there.

I think the game should have ended like it did. Good noire-y ending, killing off the main character, the assistant DA selling out. Perfect. 

But it would have been so much better if I could have controlled Phelps as he got swept away, like I could with John Marston.

Team Bondi spent countless in-game hours getting us to (kind of) like Cole, so why deprive us of him for the last two missions? Did any other writers read the script? What a monumentally stupid idea.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#160  Edited By Spiritof

The actual ending felt like the alternate ending for those players who got an average score of three stars or less on all the case files (i.e. The "Bad" ending).

The ending where I don't get to shoot Roy Earle in the eye socket is always going to be the bad ending.

fiddelerselbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By fiddelerselbow
    @jb335: I agree, but I think more development on Cole's relationship with his wife and a better ending would have made the game a lot better. Something like Cole being killed at the hands of Roy Earle, rather than a seemingly random event.
    jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162  Edited By jb335
    @fiddelerselbow: Yeah, I think fleshing out Cole's relationship with his family would have been a great idea--it would have made him a much deeper and more interesting character, rather than a stock "good cop." Either make his family a part of it or don't. Shoehorning them in was really badly done, just like it was in Red Dead.

I still think the ending itself was fine--the death being so sudden was kind of cool. That alone would have been enough of a twist. I agree that it would have been really satisfying to get Earle, like you and SpiritOf said, but that wouldn't have made it a noire story, you know?
    Avatar image for lumberingjackal
    lumberingjackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By lumberingjackal

I don't think I can really add anything to the conversation that hasn't already been said but I just finished it, didn't like it.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#164  Edited By fenixrevolution

Rockstar seems to have a thing for endings with the main character not making it out alive, first RDR, then this. That being said, it wasn't a bad ending, just bittersweet, spend so much time with the character then he dies, heroically, but still dead. It does seem to promote the message that one man can't make a difference, because as hard as Cole fought to make things better, everything was the same after his death, corruption won out.

thebexexpress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By thebexexpress

I've just come from a different thread where I was vehemently defending this game, but I need it to be known that Cole's death was a massive, pointless cop-out. It just would have made so much sense for Ira to die, for Kelso and Cole to get some grudging catharsis, and for Cole and Elsa to drive off LA Confidential-style to an uncertain future (everything else was LA Confidential-style!). Not only is it a stupid way to kill him, but there was no reason to kill him in the first place! Gah.

@Roomrunner said:

Not a whole lot of LA Noire plot points felt like Noir. It was more of a police procedural.

I'd say that everything but the actual casework stuff was about right. Disregarding all the procedural stuff, I think it's interesting that the game is set in 1947, (which, if you take 1941's The Maltese Falcon to be the start of the original Noir cycle, is well into the Noir era), but is so preoccupied with WWII specifically. I've always seen the distrust and instability that Americans were feeling after the war cited as the origin of Noir, and LA Noire kind of addresses that explicitly, as opposed to the indirect way the kind of movies I've seen approach it. I guess that's what makes it really feel different from the kind of Noir movies I've seen. It'd be because the game comes from a point when we've analysed Noir to hell, but it feels different from the neo-noir I've seen too.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#166  Edited By OneManX

I have to say, i guess I benefited by taking breaks between sessions. With game slike MK, MVC3, SFIII, Fallout: NV, Brotherhood,e t.c It felt good having time to slow down and get a few good cases down in Noire and putting it back down. bt I have to say, once I got to Arson, I was in. While the character shift was jarring, made sense at the time, Cole couldn't go any further in his investigation, and it's pretty clear the that whole Arson desk is just one big conspiracy (Which the same could be said about the end of Vice). So it made sense for them to kinda go all in.

As for Cole ding, I knew it was coming (thanks spoiler threads) so it didnt piss me off, but I felt like it worked. When Cole just looked atthem and said "Goodbye" he knew it was a rap, he tried to atone for his sins in the War, and he felt redeemed. And the story doesn't really end neatly... but it just feels jumbled. Which I guess sums up LA Noire for me, fun, but jumbled.

As for the reviewers, if they liked it, then it's their opinions and we can pretty much leave it at that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.