Rockstar Theorizes PS3 Firmware 3.61 Causing L.A. Noire Freezing Issues [UPDATED]

• 153 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4623 posts) -
Maybe Team Bondi should make this one of the downloadable cases for L.A. Noire eventually.

UPDATE: Rockstar has removed the support question pointing the finger at PS3's most recent firmware update. There are still references to Rockstar's theory in a separate support answer (scroll down in the comments), but it appears this accusation made some waves. Stay tuned...

--

Rockstar Games has received enough complaints about L.A. Noire players experiencing lock-ups on PlayStation 3 to, after internal testing, publicly respond and theorize the recent 3.61 firmware's to blame. The studio answer came in response to a question asking about a PS3 turning off while playing L.A. Noire.

According to Rockstar, there are two scenarios: the PS3 shuts down automatically or locks up, requiring the user to turn off the machine.

"We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed," said the company.

I've contacted Sony about the issue but Sony had not responded as of this writing.

"At this time we are recommending contacting Sony directly to report the overheating issue," continued Rockstar. "However, this is not the end of our support; we are continuing to test L.A. Noire on all firmware versions and hardware models to isolate the issues and see what can be done."

In the near-term, a patch is incoming. Rockstar cannot, however, guarantee it will solve the issue.

"We are continuing to take this overheating issue very seriously," said Rockstar.

There are some issues on Xbox 360, as well, and Rockstar has some recommendations to solve them.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4623 posts) -
Maybe Team Bondi should make this one of the downloadable cases for L.A. Noire eventually.

UPDATE: Rockstar has removed the support question pointing the finger at PS3's most recent firmware update. There are still references to Rockstar's theory in a separate support answer (scroll down in the comments), but it appears this accusation made some waves. Stay tuned...

--

Rockstar Games has received enough complaints about L.A. Noire players experiencing lock-ups on PlayStation 3 to, after internal testing, publicly respond and theorize the recent 3.61 firmware's to blame. The studio answer came in response to a question asking about a PS3 turning off while playing L.A. Noire.

According to Rockstar, there are two scenarios: the PS3 shuts down automatically or locks up, requiring the user to turn off the machine.

"We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed," said the company.

I've contacted Sony about the issue but Sony had not responded as of this writing.

"At this time we are recommending contacting Sony directly to report the overheating issue," continued Rockstar. "However, this is not the end of our support; we are continuing to test L.A. Noire on all firmware versions and hardware models to isolate the issues and see what can be done."

In the near-term, a patch is incoming. Rockstar cannot, however, guarantee it will solve the issue.

"We are continuing to take this overheating issue very seriously," said Rockstar.

There are some issues on Xbox 360, as well, and Rockstar has some recommendations to solve them.

Staff
#2 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

God of War 3 also locks up but I don't know if it's to do with 3.61.

#3 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

I thought 360's too had this problem...

#4 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
dd
WHO IS DD?!

Sucks if that's what is causing freezing issues.
#5 Posted by Crunchman (387 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
dd
I agree.
#6 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Sony must be really happy right now.

#7 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Grade A news making! Hopefully the patch will come hand in hand with the Europeano release.

#8 Edited by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

@Grissefar said:

dd

EDIT: Quoting the dude gave me the first post quest complete. Weird!

#9 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@xobballox said:
@Grissefar said:
dd
WHO IS DD?!
I don't know. Someone who isn't first?
#10 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Well that sucks if true. I hope its fixed or debunked before Friday.

#11 Posted by Crunchman (387 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:

@Grissefar said:

dd

IS THERE NO JUSTICE?!
#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4640 posts) -

Oh, for fucks sake!

#13 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:

@Grissefar said:

dd

That's the power of dd, apparently.
#14 Posted by Govannan (25 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
Probably, as they mention that it's multiple games.
#15 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

I've been playing on my PS3 for a few hours straight and didn't have a problem. Can they really blame this on a small firmware update, and not the fact that L.A. Noire is a pretty advanced game that pushes the hardware to its limits?

#16 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3100 posts) -

Oh, Sony.  I continue to feel bad for you.

#17 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -
@Crunchman said:
@Xeiphyer said:

@Grissefar said:

dd

IS THERE NO JUSTICE?!
I think the justice is that... 2 letters isn't enough to register it as anything.
#18 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -

Sony is fucking up.

#19 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -
@abdo said:
I've been playing on my PS3 for a few hours straight and didn't have a problem. Can they really blame this on a small firmware update, and not the fact that L.A. Noire is a pretty advanced game that pushes the hardware to its limits?
Unless games lock frames and they could do more, they all push the hardware to its limits.
#20 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Will it ever end?

#21 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

It's not just LA Noire.

My PS3 has been getting very load with the fan and getting hot when playing Demon's Souls too. It's frozen on me like 3 times.

And it has never frozen on me while I played Demon's Souls before.

#22 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

Between this, and the whole xbox update thing, I'm kinda scared to turn on my xbox now.

#23 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

YOU CAN'T STOP JUSTICE, SONY.

#24 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Never had this issue yet on the new firmware. I do notice that my PS3 gets louder though when playing Noire, nothing crazy yet though.

#25 Posted by Firelogic (23 posts) -

lol, directing people to Sony because LA Noire is freezing? It's up to the developer to patch the game. What's Sony going to do? Rewrite their firmware just for Rockstar?

#26 Edited by N7 (3590 posts) -

I remember Red Dead Redemption had a really bad freezing issue too. You'd turn it on, start loading your save, and it locks up.

All you had to do was delete your saved "Gameplay Options" folder from the save data utility.

Someone try to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Also, I've been playing games all the time with no freezes at all.

#27 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:

@Grissefar said:

dd

np
#28 Posted by HarrySound (234 posts) -
@wickedsc3 said:
Will it ever end?
#29 Posted by MarkDarkness (49 posts) -

Wow... somebody wants Sony dead somewhere. Never seen such a trail of destruction in gaming.

#30 Posted by ddensel (384 posts) -

Remember when game consoles just worked?

#31 Posted by onarum (2089 posts) -

oh ffs........ Now I'm afraid to play whatever here and end up overheating the thing, my ps3 is quite old already.....

#32 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Yea, I had it lock up on me once already.

#33 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@Firelogic: Well the bigger issue is that it seems this is happening with multiple games, and not just LA Noire. If that's the case then, yea, Sony has to do something. 
#34 Posted by TheInsider (50 posts) -

Dragon Age:Origins on PS3 had a firmware freeze problem way back when. Took Bioware a month to patch it. They couldn't figure out the problem because their dev consoles didn't have the new firmware, it only did it on home systems.

#35 Posted by metalsnakezero (2297 posts) -

Not having any problems so far. 

#36 Posted by Yummylee (21661 posts) -

I remember when a ''patch for a patch'' was such a humorous novelty. Now it's almost becoming a common hurdle to pass.

Oh Sony. =/
#37 Posted by StriderNo9 (1092 posts) -

In other news, Sony killed a dolphin today, with it's bare hands.

#38 Posted by august (3846 posts) -
@StriderNo9 said:
That's ridiculous. Dolphins don't have hands!
#39 Posted by ObiFett (12 posts) -

It. Never. Ends.

#40 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

This happens every now and then when I play Fallout: New Vegas (since the firmware update, I have experienced my PS3 randomly shutting itself twice when I am playing). It used to freeze occasionally when playing New Vegas, but I had never had my PS3 shut itself off when playing the game.

Shame that this had to happen with L.A. Noire (since my copy should be arriving tonight), but hopefully they can patch this unfortunate issue and resolve it.

#41 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2103 posts) -
@august said:
@StriderNo9 said:
That's ridiculous. Dolphins don't have hands!
I think he was referring to Sony having hands.
#42 Posted by Matiaz_Tapia (269 posts) -

I'm just going to stop reading gaming news for a while. If my stuff turns on and plays games I'll play them, if it doesn't I'll do something else.

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

but but.. my PS3 version is coming in the mail tomorrow :(

#44 Posted by tourgen (4502 posts) -
@Firelogic said:
lol, directing people to Sony because LA Noire is freezing? It's up to the developer to patch the game. What's Sony going to do? Rewrite their firmware just for Rockstar?
Yes in fact they will rewrite their firmware "just for Rockstar".

If Rockstar is using an API call provided by Sony that has a bug in the latest firmware then it is 100% Sony's fault.  they will have to eventually fix it or provide a work-around to allow Rockstar to do what they need without invoking the bug.
#45 Posted by Hyperfludd (373 posts) -

I've been playing for 3 hours straight no, no issues so far. Running a phat, too.

#46 Posted by LiquidPrince (15950 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
Let's just all blame Sony for everything.
#47 Posted by decku (18 posts) -

been playing infamous for 15 hours never freeze,after update it already stopped 4 times, finally i know why, beginning to regret bought my 2 months old ps3

#48 Posted by NarcolepticBat (410 posts) -

sick of this shit, i officially say. fuck ps3, get your shit together sony.

#49 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Had my ps3 running for the past 9 hours non stop with no issues, also no freezing since the update - might be the minority though

#50 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

Me and my brother have probably put about 8 to 10 hours together in this game, never once has it froze.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.