Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 already down to $20??

• 58 results
    chronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By chronix

That's surprising, I would have expected it to still be around $40.  That is a really fast price drop

Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, Gamestop ...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RsistncE

Well the game was complete poo like the first one, so I'm not surprised.

Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cslaw

they could be coming out with a goty or something soon?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy
    Maybe they're getting ready for a GOTY edition so they need to get rid of these original copies? 

@RsistncE
    said:
    " Well the game was complete poo like the first one, so I'm not surprised. "
    Yet it was universally acclaimed by critics and is one of the the top games for Game of the Year. 

Your opinion is not fact, just letting you know. 
    chronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chronix

I suppose it came out in January, I had thought it more toward the middle of the year, but it still seems oddly too fast.  Maybe I'm just crazy :)

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think that the retailers are adjusting for the huge amount of DLC that has been released and the inevitable arrival of one of EA's new Ultimate Editions in the not too distant future ala Bad Company 2 and Dragon Age.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Duffyside

Duders: Mass Effect 2 for the PS3 is coming out in January, which I believe is also going to be loaded with DLC content on disc. I think this is Microsoft wanting to get every last purchase they can from people who prefer PS3 or were waiting for that version for some reason. Even if the disc itself is cheap, MS is probably hoping one will be more inclined to buy the DLC if the disc isn't full price. 

My second-play theory: it's the holidays, maybe Bioware/EA/MS are trying to catch the eye of a Christmas shopper. They've got their eyes open for Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed in November, but then they see Mass Effect 2 for 20 bucks, which they've heard great things about all year, and decide to save 40 bucks and buy it instead. Or they're trying to price it so low that someone who is shopping for Call of Duty will see ME2 for 20 bucks and say "y'know what, I'll take one of those too."

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quacktastic

It didn't sell as well as they wanted it to - ME1 outsold it, right?  Maybe too many were produced so they have been selling them to retailers cheaper.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By rjaylee
    @chronix: I don't know if it's been exactly too quick for that kind of a price drop. It has been out for nearly a year now, and not to mention it's not the kind of game that has the replayability of a multiplayer game, so they only have their DLC to rely on for longevity (which again, once or twice through it and your done playing).
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pinworm45

Yeah I don't understand either, other than Bioware is really cool.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By JB16
    @RsistncE said:
    A bestselling, critically acclaimed, bioware game cannot be considered poo...
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Duffyside said:
    "Duders: Mass Effect 2 for the PS3 is coming out in January, which I believe is also going to be loaded with DLC content on disc. I think this is Microsoft wanting to get every last purchase they can from people who prefer PS3 or were waiting for that version for some reason. Even if the disc itself is cheap, MS is probably hoping one will be more inclined to buy the DLC if the disc isn't full price.  My second-play theory: it's the holidays, maybe Bioware/EA/MS are trying to catch the eye of a Christmas shopper. They've got their eyes open for Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed in November, but then they see Mass Effect 2 for 20 bucks, which they've heard great things about all year, and decide to save 40 bucks and buy it instead. Or they're trying to price it so low that someone who is shopping for Call of Duty will see ME2 for 20 bucks and say "y'know what, I'll take one of those too." "

yeah i would agree with this with the ps3 one coming out  which will most likely have some DLC added on the disk, i could see them lowering the price to keep people buying it.
    JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JB16
    @Quacktastic said:
    " It didn't sell as well as they wanted it to - ME1 outsold it, right?  Maybe too many were produced so they have been selling them to retailers cheaper. "
    The game sold 2 million copies in the first week.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

Wow if I didn't already own it, I'd buy it again! 20 bucks means no excuses for anyone, this game needs to be played. 

Definitely in this year's top 3 for me.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By phrosnite

Actually I've heard that ME1 and ME2 sold 1.6mil each... Dragon Age - 3 million :P Bioware's has said DA:O was their most successful game ever. Dragon Age dropped it's price because of the Ultimate Edition. Mass Effect 2 dropped it's price 6 months since release but DA:O - 11 months.
    Dragon Age > Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect 
    All awesome games though.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xMP44x

It looks more than likely that Electronic Arts are going to drop an 'Ultimate Edition' of the game in the future with all the DLC. My local Asda (Wal-Mart to those of you in the United States) was selling Mass Effect 2 on 360 for £15. Seems like a very good deal for a very good game, considering that it has better combat than the original, and seems to simply be an improved version of the original Mass Effect, even if it is a little on the short side. I would have bought it, but I'm trying to save my money for games coming out soon, such as Black Ops and the new True Crime game.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By blackbird415

yep. Got mine on sale at steam for 15 bones, plus mass effect 1 for 5. That summer sale was great

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @RsistncE said:
    Agreed.
    slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By slowbird
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    Agreed. "
    you and he are in the minority, then.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @RsistncE said:
    You crazy.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RsistncE
    @xyzygy: Yeah well the game was poo. 

Just lettin' ya know. 

@JB16: 
    Poo 
    Poo 
    @FancySoapsMan: Nice to know that someone out there also didn't like crap hybrid of a crappy shooter plus crappy RPG mechanics plus crappy exploration. 

@LiquidPrince: Maybe. But at least I'm not poo, right?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @RsistncE: I cannot be the judge of whether you are or are not poo, however, your opinion regarding the awesomeness of this game is poo.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE
    @LiquidPrince: Woah, woah. Coming from someone with poo taste in games, that doesn't mean a whole lot.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Great deal for the game of the generation. With the money you saved, you can practically buy all dlc content, so you don't have to wait for a new version with everything in it. Of course I don't know the real worth of the dlc content because I didn't buy any, I just watched it all on youtube.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @RsistncE: Woah, woah. Coming from someone with poo taste in games, that doesn't mean a whole lot.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By mfpantst

@JB16:@xyzygy:@LiquidPrince:@slowbird: I believe he means it was literally poo.  Sometimes I would call my morning movements a mass effect.  And when I have a large lunch there's almost always a mass effect 2.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RsistncE
    @LiquidPrince: ..... 

Well played sir, touche.
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By smcn

Looks like we've got a couple of regular Indie Rock Petes in this thread.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm definitely going to pick it up some time now that I know it will run on my computer.  Now I can import a save instead of having no save on the 360!

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vonocourt
    @xMP44x said:

" Seems like a very good deal for a very good game, considering that it has better combat than the original, and seems to simply be an improved version of the original Mass Effect, even if it is a little on the short side.  "

Short? It took me twice as long as to beat it than the first one. Thirty hours, which doesn't seem super far off from other players.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy
    @Vonocourt said:
    " @xMP44x said:

" Seems like a very good deal for a very good game, considering that it has better combat than the original, and seems to simply be an improved version of the original Mass Effect, even if it is a little on the short side.  "

Short? It took me twice as long as to beat it than the first one. Thirty hours, which doesn't seem super far off from other players. "
    Doing absolutely everything in both games took me around 50 hours, for both games. You must have FLEW through the first ME to have only beat it in 15 hours.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Afroman269

Didn't think thread about a game price-drop could turn into a ME 2 hate troll circle jerk so fast. Makes me hate this community a lot sometimes. Anyways $20, good deal!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy
    @Afroman269: I totally agree. Some people on these forums get too retard-strong about things and sometimes the hating gets ridiculous. But yes, this is an amazing deal. You could get this and all the DLC for the original price of the game!
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Afroman269
    @mfpantst said:
    "  @JB16:@xyzygy:@LiquidPrince:@slowbird: I believe he means it was literally poo.  Sometimes I would call my morning movements a mass effect.  And when I have a large lunch there's almost always a mass effect 2. "
    Can't believe I overlooked this comment. You win my favorite comment of the day, sir! Speaking of which I think I'm about to have a Mass Effect 3 brb.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BraveToaster
     @RsistncE said:
    I respect your opinion, but why do you think they're poo?

@Quacktastic said:
    " It didn't sell as well as they wanted it to - ME1 outsold it, right?  Maybe too many were produced so they have been selling them to retailers cheaper. "
    You might want to do some more research.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @phrosnite: Do you have a source? That is just so hard to believe, seeing as I would think a game like Mass Effect appeals to more people than Dragon Age does. I mean if it's true good, on Dragon Age, it is a great game, but I'd like a source first.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Afroman269
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @Afroman269 said:

" @Death_Unicorn: Simply look it up yourself or better yet since everyone is lazy here you go 

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286575861&sr=8-1 

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74058 "

I wasn't referring for a link to the price... The man I replied to, was commenting on the sales of Dragon Age compared to Mass Effect. I was asking for a source that showed that Dragon Age sold more than Mass Effect...
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By phrosnite
    @Death_Unicorn: 
    That info was on the gaming web sites... and now when I think about it, it said that Mass Effect 2 has shipped 1.6 million units, not sold so... The wiki pages says that ME1 has sold 1.6 million. 
    I remember the numbers for Dragon Age because that day was announced that Left 4 Dead 2 has sold 2.5 million and Dragon Age 3 million
    ME2 came out 9 months ago and DA - 11 months ago. I can accume that ME2 has sold 2-2.5million, DA:O - 3.5-4mill.
    I think DA:O sold more because all those D&D and NWN fans, not to mention Baldur's gate fans, came out of the woodwork and fucking bought the game! ME2 is an awesome game and appeals to the casual but it's nothing compared to the glory that is Dragon Age and I so happy that once the better game sold more than the game targeted at wider audience.

Edit: "According to updated figures from Microsoft, in the six weeks after the game was released, it had sold 1.6 million copies." <--- Mass Effect  We can assume that it has sold 2-2.5million so far...
     "A critical and commercial success, Mass Effect 2 had shipped over two million copies worldwide within a week of release." <---- Mass Effect 2
      DA - 3.2million  Clicky Clicky
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

The PC versions of 1 and 2 are slightly above $25 for Amazon, so I'm thinking about getting it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Even if you dislike the game, I don't see how anyone could not respect it, at least for its writing, character development and amount of backstory.  It really raised the bar for videogames and is exactly the quality of story-telling we need to see more in games, plus they perfectly balanced it with the gameplay.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Shadow

Yep, I feel like a sucker for paying full price for it about a half year ago.

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By skadbob

Considering the fact it's a game with no multiplayer component, the price drop isn't at all surprising. The $20-30 price point will discourage both trade-ins and used-copy sales. At this point in the game's life cycle, most of the money is made from the DLCs.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By phrosnite

Baldur's Gate plus expansion - close to 3 million units.
    Baldurs Gate 2 plus expansion - 2.5 million units.
    Knight of the Old Republic - over 3 million units.
    Neverwinter Nights - close to 3 million units.
    Mass Effect - 1.6 million units.
    Dragon Age - 3.2 million units in its first 2 months thus making it Bioware's most successful game. Also Bioware said so.
    Mass Effect 2 - 2 million units. 

This info is from Bioware's site here but they haven't updated it since 2008-2009. 
    Most of those games are old so we can give them 500k more units? Still Dragon Age has sold more and EA will release numbers probably two months after the release of the Ultimate Edition.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Quacktastic
    @Axxol: Well, I didn't do any research.  Eat that!
    I just remembered someone telling me that on this forum but yeah, I think I'm wrong.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Quacktastic said:
    " @Axxol: Well, I didn't do any research.  Eat that! I just remembered someone telling me that on this forum but yeah, I think I'm wrong. "
    Good job believing everything you read on the forums!
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It makes sense. With all the holiday releases coming out, sales of games that came out earlier in the year will be hitting rock bottom, so it's completely understandable that they're slashing the prices by more than a half.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By maxszy

$20 huh? Wow... I may have to pick it up again to play all the DLC. Haven't gotten a chance to do that yet...even though I absolutely love this game.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By haggis

I got the impression that the Dragon Age numbers were for all platforms, and given that Dragon Age was not (as ME2 is, at least until next year) console exclusive, the higher sales numbers don't necessarily reflect badly on ME2's 2 million+ sales. (Though it is yet another indication that we'll almost certainly see fewer console exclusives in the future.)

Given that the game's been out ten months, I don't see the drop in price to be all that indicative of anything, other than that a "Game of the Year" edition will probably be on the shelves (at a higher price point) in time for the Christmas season. I mean, I just picked up Final Fantasy XIII for $40 new the other day, and that just came out in March, right? I think that distributors are getting more aggressive with price drops to make up for cash lost to used game sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.