Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 NOT coming to PS3 *sadface*

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By essaregee

OK, there seems to be some confusion out there. Gamers have taken a microscope to the code in the PC version of Mass Effect 2 , which they claim hints at an inevitable PS3 release due to some traces of PS3 sourcecide being found (some PS3 variables). Well, hate to break it to you, but it looks like that's not gonna happen.
    Bioware's Chris Priestly hopped onto the forums to bring some balance to the Matrix. "The Unreal Engine is cross platform, hence the PS3 code," he said. "This was brought up back in Mass Effect 1days as well." 
    So, there you have it. Priestly also added one last quote, to help drive the point home: "Mass Effect is for the PC and Xbox 360 exclusively and will remain that way."      

Thane is also sad 
    Thane is also sad 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Sucks. Though hopefully they don't mean "forever", we all know that they claimed GTA IV episodes to be exclusive and now it's coming to both PS3 and PC. 

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda
    @Geno said:
    " Sucks. Though hopefully they don't mean "forever", we all know that they claimed GTA IV episodes to be exclusive and now it's coming to both PS3 and PC.  "
    I forget the last time Bioware made a game on a console other than a Xbox (Excluding PC). Has there ever been one?
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By shirogane

I don't know why you're sad... 

Somehow i don't feel ME would be right on a ps3, it would just feel wrong. Like Halo... 
    Or WoW on consoles...
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Geno
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @Geno said:
    " Sucks. Though hopefully they don't mean "forever", we all know that they claimed GTA IV episodes to be exclusive and now it's coming to both PS3 and PC.  "
    I forget the last time Bioware made a game on a console other than a Xbox (Excluding PC). Has there ever been one? "
    I don't think so, but there's always a chance that they will. They've never ruled out development for the PS3. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pessh
    @SuperSecretAgenda: Dragon Age...
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NoXious
    @Pessh:
    Wrong, BioWare didn't make that. Nice try though :-P
    EDIT: To give you a sense of who did, google Edge of Reality. BioWare didn't even make the PC version of ME 1 - they outsource a lot.
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nethanel
    @Geno said:
    Those were timed exclusives, Microsoft paid 50 Mil for it to be released earlier on the 360, it wouldn't make sense for Rockstar to not make the episodes for the PS3 and PC since the main game is released on those platforms. 
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Griddler

Ah well, it's a bummer that less people will be able to play Mass Effect 2 but I already have a PC so I wouldn't play it on PS3 anyway.

Avatar image for hooligantuesday
    HooliganTuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By HooliganTuesday
    @NoXious said:

" @Pessh:Wrong, BioWare didn't make that. Nice try though :-P "

Did you just claim Bioware didn't make Dragon Age? You should really send them an email and tell them that they didn't, they're going to feel pretty bloody stupid about hosting the games website.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By ptys
    Great! Mass Effect is an Xbox 360 game through and through for me!.. I know you PC guys won't agree... it is hopefully an exclusive for this generation (e.g. they'll end on ME3 and start something new next gen?...) so if you miss the train... tough. I bought my PS3 because of "Uncharted" and "Killzone", so get with the program hardcore Playstation..?.. ers. This is "THE" game of this genration in my opinion, if you call yourself a true gamer, you'll do whatever it takes to play it!
    Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bloopa79Aus
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @Geno said:
    I forget the last time Bioware made a game on a console other than a Xbox (Excluding PC). Has there ever been one? "
    yeah dragon age was on ps3
    Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Nictel

I think a "Mass Effect Trilogy" on a single Blu-ray is more likely to happen and at this point the most logical.

Also the problem is that in the "exclusivity agreement" with Microsoft there is a big "You are not allowed to say it is a timed exclusive" 

This trilogy blu-ray would be something I would personally buy though I already have the games on PC, especially if they throw in some extra's. (E.g. all the DLC)

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany
    @Nictel:  They just said that it is not going to the PS3.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By nanikore

Exclusives are so fucking stupid.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By willylo

The reason to own both systems, right here. But I suppose it sucks if you ain't got the monies.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By CharleyTony

Back when Bioware was not part of EA, they made a trilogy deal for Mass Effect with Microsoft. That first trilogy of games will be 360 / PC exclusives.  

Expect Mass Effect 3 to use mostly the same tech as ME2 and to come out in the near future (in 1 or 2 years tops). 
    After that EA will do like everything else and will pimp that game like there is no tomorrow. It might take 2 to 3 years after ME3's release but you will get a Mass Effect game on the PS3/PS4... 
    They have to honor Bioware's past deals but the Mass Effect IP is probably EA's strongest content in ages.  
    I am sure that they will also continue to make side projects similar to what came out on iPhone since they can get away with it and not void their contracts.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

Isn't exactly news to anyone.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Bouke

I'm happy it stays where the trilogy started, no i don't have to think about  which system i'm going to buy it for. But i could see how it would be bad news for PS3 owners without a 360 or decent PC. Ohw well i felt the same when all the rumors about MGS4 on 360 hit, but since i own all current systems, i'll just play MGS4 on my PS3.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Let me shed a tear for the PS3 gamer:

*hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkk*  *drip*

There.  :-) 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Jadeskye
    @SuperSecretAgenda:  knights of the old republic.
    CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CharlieTuna

It gives me a reason to still own a 360 so i don't mind, last year was horrible for it when it comes to exclusives. Some good stuff coming this year though.

Sucks for people with only a PS3 that are not PC gamers. The more people that play this awesome game the better, it's so good. However I find it very hard to believe that it will stay exclusive, surely a time-exclusive, it's EA after all.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghostiet
    @essaregee said:
    " Bioware's Chris Priestly hopped onto the forums to bring some balance to the Matrix. "The Unreal Engine is cross platform, hence the PS3 code," he said. "This was brought up back in Mass Effect 1days as well." "

I don't remember the same runoff in the ME days and I am no expert, so I may be wrong, but since when shit about Paragon and Renegade points are part of the UE?

Also, God, they made so many mistakes and misspokes with that PS3 version that I won't believe until I won't see it.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By septim

Who are these mythical people that are willing to pay $60 for a game but refuse to drop $200 on a console?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
    @Ghostiet said:

" @essaregee said:

" Bioware's Chris Priestly hopped onto the forums to bring some balance to the Matrix. "The Unreal Engine is cross platform, hence the PS3 code," he said. "This was brought up back in Mass Effect 1days as well." "

I don't remember the same runoff in the ME days and I am no expert, so I may be wrong, but since when shit about Paragon and Renegade points are part of the UE?

Also, God, they made so many mistakes and misspokes with that PS3 version that I won't believe until I won't see it.

"
    But didn't you just see it in that link? How are you supposed to see it other than that? 

This is a shame. Mass Effect 2 is the best game I've played in years, YEARS I'm telling you! If you people without a 360 went out and got one today, you can play this game like tomorrow!!! Provided you have to funds.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#26  Edited By Vinchenzo

You'll get over it, don't worry.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I dont really care. Got them for the Xbox right now. Im glad though that I have all the consoles, and that I can buy all the games that I want per month :D But it took me some time to get here, so, It kind of pays off after all those days of hard work.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nictel
    @Dany said:

" @Nictel:  They just said that it is not going to the PS3. "

Yes and 
    “The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony are both exclusive to Xbox 360.”   
     http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/21/rockstar-the-lost-and-damned-and-the-ballad-of-gay-tony-are-still-360-exclusives/

They are OBLIGED to tell that it's exclusive by CONTRACT. So a denial is not a permanent denial. I'm not saying that it is coming to PS3 I'm just saying the possibility is there and very much logical.
    LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I'm not sure why anyone thought a Microsoft exclusive franchise was ever going to wind up on a Sony system in the first place.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#30  Edited By LordAndrew
    @HooliganTuesday said:
    " @NoXious said:

" @Pessh:Wrong, BioWare didn't make that. Nice try though :-P "

Did you just claim Bioware didn't make Dragon Age? You should really send them an email and tell them that they didn't, they're going to feel pretty bloody stupid about hosting the games website. "
    No, he claimed that BioWare didn't make the PS3 version of Dragon Age. Edge of Reality developed the console versions. 

You should send them an e-mail to let them know that they didn't. They're going to feel pretty stupid for lying about what games they've worked on.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ghostiet
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Ghostiet said:

" @essaregee said:

"
    But didn't you just see it in that link? How are you supposed to see it other than that? "
    If you'd read my post, you'd understand what I ment.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Ghostiet said:
    "@essaregee said:

"

What he said wasn't meant to imply that specifically there those lines of code (paragon and renegade) are part of the UE coding, but that if you look at the code for any UE games, you will find variables that are labelled as xbox, pc and ps3. The point he was making was that as a multiplatform engine, the programming will always account for the three possible versions. 

It doesn't really make sense that they would work that way, but I believe that is what he was trying to get at .
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gruff182

EA likes money. It'l happen, just not as soon as everyone would like.

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nemesis

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a PC or 360 with their PS3. The only people who are disappointed are Sony fanboys.

First, Mass Effect 1 has to come out for the PS3 before people talk about GOTY, Mass Effect 2, comes out for PS3.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Psych0Penguin

that does suck. good game and hope it does eventually come out everywhere so everyone can enjoy it. hate exclusives *sob* uncharted 2 *sob*

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Cirdain

hah

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Demyx
    @Nemesis said:
    " I don't know anyone who doesn't have a PC or 360 with their PS3. The only people who are disappointed are Sony fanboys.  First, Mass Effect 1 has to come out for the PS3 before people talk about GOTY, Mass Effect 2, comes out for PS3. "
    Obviously it would've been 70 bucks for ME1 and ME2 packaged on once disc.
     Because I like to be ignorant: just because some Community Manager on the official forums say its not happening tells me it is since it wasn't some official press statement or something by someone higher up.
     I have the PC version of ME2 but I would like to have a console version.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Evilsbane

Mass Effect 2 ISN'T coming out for the PS3? My god who could have seen this coming . . .

The next series of ME games will be Multiplat but if you even thought for a second that this was going to come out of the PS3 you need to start paying attention to what the company is saying, before Mass Effect was even released it was made very clear this was a Microsoft Exclusive title, nothing is going to change that until ME3 comes out.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think an important thing to look at is who published the first Mass Effect. Namely Microsoft Game Studios. In contrast GTA IV and Fallout 3 both were initially released on both platforms simultaneously with the DLC being the exclusive content. So, at least for the forseeable future Mass Effect isn't going to be coming to the PS3. I too wouldn't rule out some "Mass Effect Collection" in three or four years but it's going to be awhile.

I also wouldn't believe anything that corporate PR says. Remember that Sony denied that they were ever going to make a slim PS3 or PSP Go until the moment they announced them acting like they were the biggest surprises ever. Even though people had been talking about them for weeks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.