Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Reviewed on GameSpot.

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Milkman

Hey, guys, I just wanted to start this arguement over the internet! I think it's really fun, don't you?!

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Computerplayer1
    @CitizenKane said:
    " @Apathylad: I know there are cases that some sites gives games a score lower than what the average is, but ever since the end of 2007 Gamespot has done it at a more frequent rate than any other video game journalism site. "
    This is ridiculously true. 

It's especially apparent with Van'Ord. I like to call it the Van'Ord effect. Rate the game a solid .5 or 1 point below/above the average to seemingly stand out from the pack, even though it doesn't line up with the written review.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Milkman
    @Computerplayer1 said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " @Apathylad: I know there are cases that some sites gives games a score lower than what the average is, but ever since the end of 2007 Gamespot has done it at a more frequent rate than any other video game journalism site. "
    This is ridiculously true.   It's especially apparent with Van'Ord. I like to call it the Van'Ord effect. Rate the game a solid .5 or 1 point below/above the average to seemingly stand out from the pack, even though it doesn't line up with the written review. "
    Even if that was the case (it's not), aren't you doing exactly what he wants you to do in continuing to talk about his review?

+ 1 Kevin VanOrd.
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Computerplayer1
    @Milkman said:
    " @Computerplayer1 said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    This is ridiculously true.   It's especially apparent with Van'Ord. I like to call it the Van'Ord effect. Rate the game a solid .5 or 1 point below/above the average to seemingly stand out from the pack, even though it doesn't line up with the written review. "
    Even if that was the case (it's not), aren't you doing exactly what he wants you to do in continuing to talk about his review?  + 1 Kevin VanOrd. "
    Even if that was the case (it's not) I'm not concerned about drawing attention to gamespot's flaws as it does it by itself beautifully. 

I still spend the majority of my time on gamespot, so don't think I'm just ripping them for nothing; I've been there for almost 7 years and am one of their most active members. I continue to hope for them to turn this crap around.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By handlas
    @Marz said:
    " Kevin VanOrd is usually spot on in his reviews, listen to what he says and you actually get a good sense of what the game is all about.   View it without looking at the score and you'll be pretty satisfied. "
    I've said it before as well...I like him.  He reviews games fairly from what I can see and I agree with his opinion majority of the time.  There's another guy on the site that annoys me tho whenever I see him review a game I usual don't pay much attention.  Dunno his name.

I'm only about an hour into the game...its fun.  I can already see a few things that a bothersome tho.  One that Kevin mentioned about the AI teammates.  My AI seemed to be wandering around during a couple of gun fights for some reason.  Getting in my way and what-not.  And thus far at least one if not both have died in pretty much every fight but perhaps that is my fault (but I'll place some of the blame on them anyway) :).
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Skald

What's wrong with 9/10 now?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#57  Edited By citizenkane
    @Milkman said:
    " @Computerplayer1 said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    Even if that was the case (it's not), aren't you doing exactly what he wants you to do in continuing to talk about his review?  

+ 1 Kevin VanOrd. "
    Uhh, no.  Saying someone is bad at their job gives no positive effects to that person.
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Ping5000
    @CitizenKane said:
    " @handlas: I am more laughing at Gamespot for seemingly always giving a game the lowest score and giving GOTY awards to the video game equivalent of "hipster" and "indie" simply to make themselves look "edgy" or "unique",  mostly out of desperation due to the fact that they lost pretty much all credibility after the fiasco of late 2007. "
    GOTY is a collective vote and GameSpot's Demon's Souls review reflects the opinion of just one person. So yeah.
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Computerplayer1
    @Ping5000 said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " @handlas: I am more laughing at Gamespot for seemingly always giving a game the lowest score and giving GOTY awards to the video game equivalent of "hipster" and "indie" simply to make themselves look "edgy" or "unique",  mostly out of desperation due to the fact that they lost pretty much all credibility after the fiasco of late 2007. "
    GOTY is a collective vote and GameSpot's Demon's Souls review reflects the opinion of just one person. So yeah. "
    But they also put a review down on a panel of reviewers before it's given the go ahead, so although it's written by one reviewer, the content has to be passed by their peers before posting.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By luce
    @Computerplayer1 said:
    "
     Rate the game a solid .5 or 1 point below/above the average to seemingly stand out from the pack, even though it doesn't line up with the written review. "
    How exactly do you measure that? especially when people use scales differently when reviewing things?
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#61  Edited By sjschmidt93

A 9? What the fuck gamespot, get your fanboy bullshit out of here.  

^_^

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @CitizenKane said:
    " I think that's the lowest score it as gotten so far.  Not unexpected from a site that gave Demon's Souls their Game of the Year Award. "
    LOL!  Van Ord must have picked that piece o' junk.
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Computerplayer1
    @luce said:
    " @Computerplayer1 said:
    "
     Rate the game a solid .5 or 1 point below/above the average to seemingly stand out from the pack, even though it doesn't line up with the written review. "
    How exactly do you measure that? especially when people use scales differently when reviewing things? "
    Well if you want to get picky, look at metacritic. Nobody is going to look at all the reviews in the middle of the list, just the top few and bottom few, and so setting a score to position yourself is like free advertising.

Aside from that though, for the hardcore gamer they already know the average work out for review scores even when they're not on a similar scale, and they also know the key review websites and publications.

It's not that difficult.
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Adamantium

So... what's wrong with a 9/10?

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Gruff182

I love the amount of man-crushes there are on here for the GB guys. 

Some asshole bigwigs fire some people and now the whole writing team has no credibility? or their trying to be cool with their GOTY selection? Good for them!

Grow up and stop slamming everything that isn't Giantbomb.

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By JWawin
    @CitizenKane said:
    Great post, when I heard they gave Demon's Soul GOTY I felt like something was up. 
    Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lamashtu

I haven't seen this many comparisons of the release of a game to the second coming since Modern Warfare 2. 

Mass Effect 2 is a fine game, and Gamespot gave it a fine score, taking off whatever little points in areas it was rightly flawed (namely the mineral scanning of planets, during which I let out a heavy, depressing sigh whenever I have to do it).  

And do you think Jeff Gerstmann really cares about your sentiments about Gamespot? At the very worst, the only people he takes issues with is it's management, people who likely have contributed virtually nothing to the content of the site. In my heart of hearts, I believe there's a sense of mutual respect between the Giantbomb folks and the writing and editorial staff of Gamespot.
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#68  Edited By Ping5000
    @Computerplayer1 said:
    " @Ping5000 said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    GOTY is a collective vote and GameSpot's Demon's Souls review reflects the opinion of just one person. So yeah. "
    But they also put a review down on a panel of reviewers before it's given the go ahead, so although it's written by one reviewer, the content has to be passed by their peers before posting. "
    To do what? Peer edit? See if the score and content of the review correlate? Yes, probably.  

Peers who disagree with the score and makes the original reviewer reevaluate the game? I don't think so.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck you guys are completely pathetic.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By spacetrucking
    @CitizenKane said:
    Did you actually compare GameSpot's scores to metacritic or gameranking averages ? Spend one minute with a search engine and you will find out that they have been going with the pack with their review scores (much like Giantbomb). If you're talking about .5 differences for the odd game then that is a Gamespot trend from the 90s and is nothing new (I can point you to Half-Life 2 as a stand out example).

This whole thread just proves how terribly flawed review scores are in general.Instead of being a shorthand for people with time constrains, it ends up providing unnecessary ammo to fanboys, forum trolls or skeptics who don't even bother to read the written review to get the right context.
    TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TintedEyes

I hope people were joking when they were getting mad over a 9.0, that's a great score.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By ptys

Well that's the last time I go to Gamespot for review advice... "Demon Souls" GOTY!!! Give me a break!

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Deathawk

Are people really complaining about a 9/10 review score being to low? Really? Really?
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#74  Edited By ez123
    @Deathawk said:

" Are people really complaining about a 9/10 review score being to low? Really? Really? "

I think people are just joking. It is the lowest score the game has gotten , though.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By breadfan
    Fuck Gamespot, it should have been a 10!!!!!!!!!
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By Gabriel

Guys come on your starting to sound like fanboys, very very bad Fanboys. 9/10 a good score and that guy backed up his opinion in his review. Demon's Souls got a 9/10 and it was their game of the year, which was a great game and was a good choice for GOTY.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@leviticus128 said:
    "just wait till more reviews come out, im sure gamespot will pull it down and change the score like with mw2 lol "

I dont remember them changing the score to that, but who really trusts gamespot anyway?
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Systech
    @Zereta said:
    " @systech said:
    " WHAT 9 OUT OF TEN THIS IS FUCKIN BULL SHIT!!!!!! "
    lol@internet  9/10 is a beautiful score. "
    @swamplord666 said: 
    please tell me you're being sarcastic... 9/10 is an amazing score "
    Yes, I am being sarcastic.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Yukoei
    @buzz_killington said:
    "@Yukoei: Have you even played the game? "

I think your sarcasim detector is broken.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By RHCPfan24

This discussion can be put to bed, which it looks like it already has. Nonetheless, 9.0 is a great score regardless of the game. A topic on a review score really only riles up fanboys and has people (myself included) post extreme fanboy rants with a typical ";)" at the end. Funny the first time, but not 80 posts in.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Yukoei said:
    "

Underrated.

"
    How would you know?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Milkman
    @RHCPfan24:  You forgot to lock it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.