Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Wait, so there's ammo now?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Looking at the new Garrus trailer, it appears that there's now ammo in the game. Personally I thought ME1's overheating mechanic worked better, and fit in more with the context of a space shooter. I dunno, I just don't like going around opening ammo crates and reloading is all. Thoughts? 

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Damien

I think there is just an ammo counter and not ammo per say, if you get what I'm saying.  I read somewhere BioWare said that the overheating mechanic stopped the action too much.  I also kinda liked it.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Suicrat

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The over-heating mechanic in M.E.1 took way too long to dissipate, but ammo management would be way worse!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Pazy

Hopefully they keep the ammo flow relativly high (except for maybe on the highest difficuly) since I hate having to scrounge for ammo (except for maybe Fallout type games where it fits the atmosphere) but Im sort of into it since I love reload animations lol

Though I do think the idea of an overheating guns fits more into the space shooter style.

Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Joseppie
    @Damien said:

" I think there is just an ammo counter and not ammo per say, if you get what I'm saying.  I read somewhere BioWare said that the overheating mechanic stopped the action too much.  I also kinda liked it. "

That seems to be what the situation is. I remember reading on the ME2 forums that you're actually ejecting spent heat sinks rather than loading a new clip. If that's truly the case, then it shouldn't be a huge deal and I'd say it'll improve the action by speeding it up just as they set out to do.
    EvangelBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvangelBlue

There isn't ammo, but you're still reloading. As in, you have infinite ammo, but you still have to reload when all the bullets in the clip run out.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VWGTI
    @Joseppie said:
    " @Damien said:

" I think there is just an ammo counter and not ammo per say, if you get what I'm saying.  I read somewhere BioWare said that the overheating mechanic stopped the action too much.  I also kinda liked it. "

That seems to be what the situation is. I remember reading on the ME2 forums that you're actually ejecting spent heat sinks rather than loading a new clip. If that's truly the case, then it shouldn't be a huge deal and I'd say it'll improve the action by speeding it up just as they set out to do. "
    That acutally sounds badass. I like that.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Donos

Heres what I've gleaned and... kinda made up:

When you reload, Sheperd pushes a button on the side of the gun, and want looks like some gas/ice flys out of a vent on the other side of the gun. I assume this means that rather than reloading the gun hes manually changing it's coolant. Basically, isntead of using heat sinks to dissipate heat over time, guns now use coolant which must be manually changed after a certain number of shots. In the case of the assault rifle, its 40 shots. The "ammunition" counter actually tracks how much extra coolant you have left.  This would also explain why all the different ammo types (regular, incendiary,etc) all come out of the same ammo pool.

And if you look carefully in the trailer, there is a total ammo pool, not just an amo counter. In the trailer, he had about 367 rounds of assault rifle ammo.

That said, I kinda liked the old system too. It didn't really slow down the action at all, it just forced you to aim a little more carefully.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Geno

With the overheating mechanic it almost seemed like it slowly reloaded whenever you aren't shooting. With the classic ammo mechanic, you actually have to stop midaction for 2 seconds in order to reload. That sounds like it would stop the action more than the overheating. 

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adamantium

As long as I can walk over ammo to pick it up, I don't care. I hate having to open chests and boxes to stay supplied, or (God forbid) point a cursor and press a button to pick up some ammo sitting right there on the ground. Waste of time.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @VWGTI said:
    " @Joseppie said:
    " @Damien said:

That seems to be what the situation is. I remember reading on the ME2 forums that you're actually ejecting spent heat sinks rather than loading a new clip. If that's truly the case, then it shouldn't be a huge deal and I'd say it'll improve the action by speeding it up just as they set out to do. "
    That acutally sounds badass. I like that. "
    Ditto. It'll add another layer of strategy to gunfights so it should be more interesting. I'm really looking foward to this now.
    beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By beomoose

As much as I overheated (and still overheat) guns in ME and how much I bitch at the screen until the gun cools off, I'm not sold on this new mechanic. Backing an ammo system in, even if they did a good job of justifying it story-wise by not making it an actual "ammo" system, kinda takes away some of the unique flavor. Maybe if they give the weapons the ability to fire after you run out of "coolers" with the same mechanics as in ME, but I highly doubt it.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By dagas

I think it worked well in ME1. The only big problem I had with the combat in ME1 was that the AI wasn't good mostly just rushed you.

AlphaOmega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlphaOmega

To me it looked like real ammo/coolant but limited quanity; Its a change for the worse IMO but nothing big and it might just put a limit to the biotic/shotgun/wrex/garrus train-o-carnage

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeffsekai

There cant be ammo the fiction doesn't allow for it.

Gota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gota
    @Jeffsekai:  Yes, the fiction does not allow ammo.  The fiction states that small molecules are put into a mass effect field.  But, this "ammo" feature is a gameplay mechanic, and really is ejecting a heatsink and putting in a new one.

I personally like this new feature.  Knowing when to reload can make all the difference in the world sometimes.  I'm just hoping that there will be enough heatsinks.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Bouke

i haven't made my mind up. It sounds like a neat new way to have to manage the heat with heatsinks you can switch out. I'll have to play it before i can say if its better or worst then the ME1 solution

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By skrutop

Why not speed up the cooldown instead?

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Colonel_Fury

This probably won't affect the gameplay all that much. I don't see what the big deal is about it.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

I dunno what you guys are talking about with this whole."It's just an ammo counter instead of overheating now" it's been confirmed that all weapons have limited ammo.

"Part of the development of Mass Effect 2 is focusing on it as much a shooter as it is an RPG. They’re equally important to the game and part of the things we realized as a recognition on the team is the tension, and the excitement during the action sequence during a shooter game. There’s a certain tension to having a limited supply of ammo or bullets, and just realizing you gotta make sure every one counts."

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai
    @Colonel_Fury said:
    " This probably won't affect the gameplay all that much. I don't see what the big deal is about it. "
    Because it kinda negates they did with ME 1 and the various books.  

I really don't know what to think anymore about this. I have made a thread about it months ago and a someone (claims she from bioware) says that it's just a different management of the heat. Now you have Bioware saying that there ammo in the game. I don't think it will be a game breaker , I just really dislike when companies re-canon their mythos. 
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @CL60:
    Playing the original Mass Effect right now I find this hilarious since there is a few paragraphs in the Codex explaining how and why guns no longer have ammo and they instead over heat. There is supposed to be thousands of clips worth of ammo inside one gun or something along those lines.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Colonel_Fury said:
    " This probably won't affect the gameplay all that much. I don't see what the big deal is about it. "

I really don't know what to think anymore about this. I have made a thread about it months ago and a someone (claims she from bioware) says that it's just a different management of the heat. Now you have Bioware saying that there ammo in the game. I don't think it will be a game breaker , I just really dislike when companies re-canon their mythos.  "
    This. If you read stuff in the first game it goes into great detail as to why the guns have no ammo.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Evilsbane

When I first heard it I cried foul but the Heat sink thing is actually a really cool Idea.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hatking
    @Adamantium said:
    "As long as I can walk over ammo to pick it up, I don't care. I hate having to open chests and boxes to stay supplied, or (God forbid) point a cursor and press a button to pick up some ammo sitting right there on the ground. Waste of time. "

This is probably my number one issue with Borderlands.  I'm at the point now where if I don't pick something up on my first try I just say screw it and ignore it. 

I'm not sure how I feel about them changing this, the no ammo was an element of the fiction in Mass Effect, if they change this then they will have to explain why they decided, in the universe, it made sense to change all the guns.  The infinite ammo was explained in the first game, this is from memory but I think it was something like each clip was a solid block of metal, the gun would take a small piece of that metal and form it into a round, this all but eliminating the need to reload.  I guess they just put a new clip in when on the ship.
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By veektarius

I prefer the new system.  I think that the act of ducking behind cover and changing a clip is an essential part of feeling like you're in an action scene, not ducking behind cover and staring at your gun until it cools down.  And as people have already said, it's not a clip of ammo, it's a fresh heat sink, and you have a limited supply of heat sinks.  So stop bitching about them going back on their mythos about ammo.  They're not that stupid.  

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By metal_mills

Gameplay balance > Tiny bit of story.

Snweater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Snweater

My guess is that ordinary guns will have unlimted ammo but heavy weapons will require ammo since they are more powerful.
    Has to do with balancing I think. Hammering on the trigger while equipped with your infinite rockets rocket launcher would be kinda boring after a while and would ruin the gameplay.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Geno
    @Snweater said:
    "My guess is that ordinary guns will have unlimted ammo but heavy weapons will require ammo since they are more powerful.Has to do with balancing I think. Hammering on the trigger while equipped with your infinite rockets rocket launcher would be kinda boring after a while and would ruin the gameplay. "

Not if the Rocket Launcher overheated after 2 shots, which is what happened to sniper rifles in ME1. I don't see how this new system is better than the old system, the only purpose I see it serving at the moment is ruining the flavor.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NoXious

I don't see what the fuss is after watching the Engineer video. He shoots his pistol and the reload animation looks sweet!
    Push out the old heat sink and push a new one in at the same time. Beats sitting behind the box for 30 seconds because you choose to use Explosive rounds since you're a grenadier.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Colonel_Fury
    @CL60 said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @Colonel_Fury said:

I really don't know what to think anymore about this. I have made a thread about it months ago and a someone (claims she from bioware) says that it's just a different management of the heat. Now you have Bioware saying that there ammo in the game. I don't think it will be a game breaker , I just really dislike when companies re-canon their mythos.  "
    This. If you read stuff in the first game it goes into great detail as to why the guns have no ammo. "

I did read the codex in the first game, I just don't think its that big of a deal.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By maxszy

As others have stated, hopefully it is just a alternative to the overheating. I don't want to have to manage ammo but the overheating in the first game took way too long. Granted I would always just switch to a different type of gun at that point, as that would be faster than just waiting.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Jedted

I'm not upset with the limited ammo as long as they have a target assist mode like in the first game for people who want it.  It's still partly an RPG is it not? 

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adam_grif

Attn people who keep saying "clip" in this thread:

- Although Mass Effect 2 uses "thermal clips", other games use magazines, not clips. The terms are NOT interchangeable, and unless you're talking about an M1 Garand or some kind of bolt action rifle that uses a stripper clip to load rounds into it, you're changing magazines, not clips. 

Here is a visual reference:

Inferno313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Inferno313

I like the idea.. I got killed so many times in Mass Effect, especially on the harder difficulties, whenever my shotgun would overheat..

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB

I didn't realize this was such a problem that they chose to "fix" it. It seems like an odd choice to all of a sudden have the same guns you used to have operate completely differently, from a fiction standpoint. Even from a gameplay standpoint, I never had a problem with the way the overheat mechanic worked, especially because that gave you incentive to plop on all the heat dissipation add-ons that you could onto your gun.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CL60
    @Maxszy said:
    " As others have stated, hopefully it is just a alternative to the overheating. I don't want to have to manage ammo but the overheating in the first game took way too long. Granted I would always just switch to a different type of gun at that point, as that would be faster than just waiting. "
    Well I would rather just wait for the cooldown then have to always be looking for ammo like we have to do now.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By maxszy
    @CL60 said:
    " @Maxszy said:
    " As others have stated, hopefully it is just a alternative to the overheating. I don't want to have to manage ammo but the overheating in the first game took way too long. Granted I would always just switch to a different type of gun at that point, as that would be faster than just waiting. "
    Well I would rather just wait for the cooldown then have to always be looking for ammo like we have to do now. "
    I don't know if there is any inclination that we have to "look" for ammo now. I would guess its more like the weapon just has to "recharge" or "reload" and there fore you do a reload but you have unlimited ammo for the weapons. I haven't heard anything about actually "looking" for Ammo. Granted, I haven't watched any of the first 90 minute previews or whatever is out now, so if it was in there I've missed it.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CL60
    @Maxszy said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Maxszy said:
    Well I would rather just wait for the cooldown then have to always be looking for ammo like we have to do now. "
    I don't know if there is any inclination that we have to "look" for ammo now. I would guess its more like the weapon just has to "recharge" or "reload" and there fore you do a reload but you have unlimited ammo for the weapons. I haven't heard anything about actually "looking" for Ammo. Granted, I haven't watched any of the first 90 minute previews or whatever is out now, so if it was in there I've missed it. "
    Bioware said we have limited ammo because it gives a tension knowing that every bullet counts or something, and we need to get "thermal clips" in place of ammo.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By maxszy
    @CL60: Interesting. Well that certainly is a change. Sounds not as good I would agree there. But I will wait to see how it plays to reserve complete judgment on it. It may work for the better *shrug*
    axman36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By axman36

Hopefully they have some type of upgrade to negate the need for ammo.

Or else... I'm just going to play strictly Biotics and Engineer to avoid the chance that I may be in a situation where I'm pretty much screwed no matter what I do. They should give the soldier some type of perk, something so they don't become useless if he runs out of ammo.

I'd be perfectly fine with the ammo system if it weren't for the point that it's universal.

AverageJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AverageJoe

I'm happy with there being ammo this time, the weapon overheating kind of annoyed me because it seemed to happen way too quick.

ELpork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By ELpork
    @AverageJoe:  Yea, More so with the mods you put on that add damage, but only allow 1 or 2 shots.
    hellowill89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hellowill89

If there is ammo in this game, I will shove a baguette up my bumhole sideways

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel
    @hellowill89 said:
    " If there is ammo in this game, I will shove a baguette up my bumhole sideways "
    That's not the bet I like to make if there's any chance I could lose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.