Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Tell me something, people who played Mass Effect (Spoilers)

• 76 results
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By Undeadpool

@Ventilaator: Kaiden was so generic I continuously referred to him as Carth accidentally (as in Carth Onasi from Knights of the Old Republic, who had the same voice actor). If you asked me to do the ol' Plinkett test of describing a character without mentioning their physical appearance or their job, I would be at a COMPLETE loss for Kaiden. Ashley was actually one of the more interesting characters. She was flawed, she wasn't some paragon of perfect virtue. She seemed more REAL.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By asurastrike

She was more interesting than Kaiden, plus I rolled with her in my squad for the entirety of the game.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Undeadpool said:

@Ventilaator: Kaiden was so generic I continuously referred to him as Carth accidentally (as in Carth Onasi from Knights of the Old Republic, who had the same voice actor). If you asked me to do the ol' Plinkett test of describing a character without mentioning their physical appearance or their job, I would be at a COMPLETE loss for Kaiden. Ashley was actually one of the more interesting characters. She was flawed, she wasn't some paragon of perfect virtue. She seemed more REAL.

Space racist sympathizer.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By galiant

I needed Kaidan to take care of the fucking bomb, because Ashley is an idiot.

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By Spoonybard37

Ashley was a prick so she got the boot...the permanent boot...

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Undeadpool

@xobballox: Mediocre character character sympathizer?

Edit: In all seriousness, I'd rather have a character I dislike in my party than one I feel literally nothing for.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TorMasturba

@stringbacon said:

The space-racism works in her favor for me. It gives her a personality that I can remember long after I finished Mass Effect. Kaiden has nothing that makes him stand out to me. All I remember was that he used biotics.

They both stood out to me as flawed human beings, one with a hatred or ignorance that has been built in from Childhood but also loves her family. The other had a bad childhood, pretty given away by his parents and adopted by a very strict school for biotics he show's you what it was like to be a biotic around in the early human biotic development days, since you have no perspective of this time as a character I found this interesting.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Turambar

She was a bigoted bitch, but also far more interesting than Kaidan.  I hated her, but was also completely uninterested by Kaidan.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Undeadpool said:

Edit: In all seriousness, I'd rather have a character I dislike in my party than one I feel literally nothing for.

:(

I usually would agree with that, but everything about Ashley just made me hate her completely as a character and I hated it every time she spoke.
    WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By WarlordPayne

Every time Kaiden opened his mouth all I could think of was Carth, and I really hated Carth, so Kaiden had to die.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Its funny really. I hated Ashley because of her character, and I hated Kaiden due to what I felt was a lack of character.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By yorick
    @Resident4t said:

Its funny really. I hated Ashley because of her character, and I hated Kaiden due to what I felt was a lack of character.

This
    Avatar image for deactivated-5add09f309aed
    deactivated-5add09f309aed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked kaidan. He was way too meh imo.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Undeadpool

@xobballox said:

@Undeadpool said:

:( I usually would agree with that, but everything about Ashley just made me hate her completely as a character and I hated it every time she spoke.

Again, though, you felt SOMEthing. I think it's gutsy of Bioware to include characters you're not necessarily going to like in your party. Like in Baldur's Gate or KotoR (both 1 and 2), you can have characters that are straight-up evil in your party.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

Lets just agree that all the Human characters in that game sucked so picking which one was like picking between a rock and a hard place
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I've let them both die and survive numerous times, usually it has to do with 'who' my Shepard is. 
    Hard-ass no-nonsense Infiltrator Shep will pick Ashely cause she's got more balls. 
    Empathetic and self-sacrificing Adept Shep will pick Kaiden cause the universe doesn't need any more bigots, and besides, Shep and Kaiden -are- evolution (biotics), Ashely is a relic of the past. Advance the species.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Ghostiet
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    I've let them both die and survive numerous times, usually it has to do with 'who' my Shepard is.  Hard-ass no-nonsense Infiltrator Shep will pick Ashely cause she's got more balls.  Empathetic and self-sacrificing Adept Shep will pick Kaiden cause the universe doesn't need any more bigots, and besides, Shep and Kaiden -are- evolution (biotics), Ashely is a relic of the past. Advance the species.
    Sounds like your empathetic, self-sacrificing Shepard is fucking Renegade, dude.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By Bass

Both characters are ultimately unlikable. Ashley is a total bitch and Kaiden is about as interesting as a blank sheet of paper. Saved Kaiden, but I don't intend on using him when I finally play ME2 (in the mail!).

Avatar image for the_great_skenardo
    the_great_skenardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the mistaken impression that saving Kaidan was the only way to also save the Salarian strike force, and I kind of liked those guys. Otherwise my femShep would have chosen Ash because she is also a chew-up-nails-and-spit-out-staples kind of hardass.

I didn't mind the spacism so much; she was professional about it and took orders just fine. Kaidan felt bland to me, although I enjoyed listening to his summary of missions a'la Joker.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By TobbRobb

Who? Oh right, the humies. I don't even remember who I saved. They were equally boring characters.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#71  Edited By citizenkane

Because of that ass:

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd like to give some kind of thoughtful moral justification to why I saved Ashley but it just basically came down to the fact that I liked her more. Her xenophobia was a bit of an issue for me, but I thought she was an interesting character whereas Kaiden just seemed like a fairly normal guy to me. If Kaiden had been that unaccepting of the idea of sacrificing himself for the good of the mission it might have been a different story, but as it was saving Ashley just seemed like the more appealing prospect.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By CosmicQueso

The aliens want to wipe humans out. Ashley hates aliens. My FemShep hates aliens too. And Wrex really deserved to die. So, save Ashley, humans survive and run the galaxy. Win.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Agent47
    @Ventilaator: I saved Kaiden I can't stand Ashley racist, bitchy attitude.Reminded too much of real life chicks.The only reason I can think alot of players saved her is cause she has tits.But ugh I happily chased after Kaiden with Ashely gone the story moved alot smoother.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Agent47
    @BirdkeeperDan: Kaiden whine?All Ashley did was bitch about other aliens on the ship and showed how racist she was then give that ANNOYING speech when you try to save her in ME2, I'm glad she didn't come with Shepard on board I probably would of launched her into space if I could.Ashley is way worse.
    Pumpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Pumpe

I saved Ashley in all my level 60 playthroughs. Not that I didnt like Kaiden: a normal guy with some trauma.
    Ashley is more to bring drama to the story (as I automatically end up as paragon and ignore what species you are from).

First ME run I did it for the tits and ass. Kaiden doesnt have them.

I should really embark on a space voyage sometime early next year and get a 60 playthrough with a living Kaiden.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By dillonwerner

Save Kaidan, you can get with him in Mass Effect 3. And he voiced Carth in KOTOR 

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By linkster7

Kaiden has the honor of being the only mass effect character that I did not talk to at all after the first hours.

It's so long ago but I remember just hating him so.

Loved saving Ashly and letting that bastard fry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.