Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

What can I expect from this game?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Now, as much as I love to spam the whole "Shepard" joke, I have never actually played Mass Effect. Now that I have an Xbox 360, I can now finally play it. I plan on getting the original Mass Effect once the weather permits me to, and I'm just wondering what to expect from it. I know that the controls are junky and the frame rate is wack, but is there more than that?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

You still, just had to do that. = - P Enjoy Mass Effect if you get it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hatking

The biggest issue is the semi lame layout of the side missions.  You'll find yourself driving around lifeless giant worlds over mountains, that stuff gets old quick.  Beyond that there are some really good dialogue mechanics that to this day are really only surpassed by Mass Effect 2.  As a newbie I'd reccommend talking to every party member after every main mission and do what you can to finish their sidequests... I can't stress that enough.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I played the original on the PC, but I'm thinking about playing it on the 360 again just for the story and character save transfer option. Even on the PC it was all about the character interactions and the story. The gameplay worked fine for what it needed to do.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW

I heard vehicle control sucked. I also heard story was good. Also Shepard.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FartyMcNarly

The controls and frame rate aren't as bad as people say they are but Mass Effect 2 outlines the problems the first one had. There is texture pop in, the inventory system isn't good at all but it is still an enjoyable game and I enjoyed the story of the first game more. Also make sure you mute all the sound and just blast Lady GaGa instead, it enhances the game so much.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @FartyMcNarly: Lady GaGa would make me hate that game.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @FartyMcNarly: Lady GaGa would make me hate that game. "
    I think he meant Foo Fighters, yeah... Foo Fighters.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Pazy

Personally I do feel the controls for shooting are as janky as people say though they do require getting used to but once your practice you can waste whatever moves. The main problems are the same few side missions, so bar a few that are extremely useful or important in regards to characters I would say dont do them, and the controls for the Mako can be really frustrating resulting in it bouncing all over the place or turning 180 when it was supposed to go slightly and the guns dont like to aim where you shoot them (except sometimes at random) so I ran through those whole sections ignoring enemies just to get it finished as fast as possible. Though people talk about all the bad stuff, especially now that Mass Effect 2 is out now which fixes a lot of it, Mass Effect for me was a mainly positive experience bar a few times where I had to stop playing for a while (one of the boss fights where I kept getting knocked down through walls or ground and being murdered before I could stand up) and the first Mako section I encountered (I couldent control it so always got killed) but most people ive talked to didnt have a problem with this particuler boss and the Mako just takes some getting used to (and to know what your getting when you go in). But honestly it is mostly a positive experience lol

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Andorski

There are issues with Mass Effect 1 that can be avoided as long as you make some preparations.  Just follow some rules, and you will find Mass Effect to be an amazing experience. 

1. Install Mass Effect onto the hard drive.  This helps with the load times, frame rate, and texture pop-in.
    2. Never save on an elevator.  Doing so almost guarantees a corrupt save file
    3. Guns are extremely inaccurate if they are not leveled up.  This means that aiming is hard in the first half of the game.  Just try to pulse fire in the beginning... this alleviates a lot of potential frustrations with this game's aiming system.
    4. When taking on one of the main missions, make sure that you have enough room in your inventory for all the new loot you will find.  The Normandy has its own merchant, so you can sell all your weak gear to him.
    5. Adepts and Vanguards are the strongest classes in ME1.  If you want to blaze through the game in order to play ME2, use either of these classes.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Andorski said:

" There are issues with Mass Effect 1 that can be avoided as long as you make some preparations.  Just follow some rules, and you will find Mass Effect to be an amazing experience. 

1. Install Mass Effect onto the hard drive.  This helps with the load times, frame rate, and texture pop-in.
    2. Never save on an elevator.  Doing so almost guarantees a corrupt save file
    3. Guns are extremely inaccurate if they are not leveled up.  This means that aiming is hard in the first half of the game.  Just try to pulse fire in the beginning... this alleviates a lot of potential frustrations with this game's aiming system.
    4. When taking on one of the main missions, make sure that you have enough room in your inventory for all the new loot you will find.  The Normandy has its own merchant, so you can sell all your weak gear to him.
    5. Adepts and Vanguards are the strongest classes in ME1.  If you want to blaze through the game in order to play ME2, use either of these classes.
    "
    Basically this. So many people like to bitch about the aiming or the Mako driving, but I had no complaints with the combat at all until I starting playing on Hardcore/Insane, and that's only because the enemies do ridiculous amounts of damage. The Mako handles fine once you learn how to drive it.

The most annoying things are the ridiculous terrains that you have to negotiate in the Mako when doing side-missions and the poor inventory system.

Also, I can't stress enough: play as a Vanguard (or an Adept) your first playthrough.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

Mass Effect does have some flaws, but after a few hours of getting into its rhythm, it's a fantastic game.

judge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By judge

i didnt like the first one so i wouldnt play the new one

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.