Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 24, 2009

All three Metroid Prime titles in one package. Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes are reworked to include 480p widescreen, motion controls, and achievements.

Confirmed: Gamestop getting more copies in.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Farley_Lives

An article came out a couple weeks ago about Gamestop maybe restocking the trilogy for the Wii. Then lo and behold, I see a copy sitting on the self in my local store. It was marked "Pre-owned" from the sticker but from the condition of disc and case, I'm willing to say these are new copies. They are different, no metal case this time and "Collectors Edition" is gone. They are priced higher at $80, but worth it to me since I missed out on the first run.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Alternatively you could just buy them individually + a gamecube for less than 80 bucks.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never owned a game cube. So, factor in a controller and memory card. Then factor in me getting rid of my old Wii. For me this was the better deal.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Jump on it man! I barely got a copy from the last run. It's a great collection and - as someone who had never played the games originally - they played really well with a Wii-remote.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

These are all fantastic games and worth the price tag, but that's a shitty thing to do.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't know it was a problem to get it... I got it around launch though, and it's fine, though I already have them all on GameCube, and the one on Wii, so it wasn't really anything huge, but it's still worth trying out even if you had played them before. For me personally, on a Wii nunchuck it's a little harder to shoot fast compared to the controller since your hand isn't firmly placed anywhere, which is a great thing to have at times, but that'd be my only complaint for that when comparing to the first two.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nekroskop

80 bucks 'Pre-owned'. Didn't know GS marked up games for being rare. Greedy cunts.

Just do yourself a favour and pirate the games, or you can mail Nintendo and get them to send you a copy for less than what GS is asking.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think Gamestop charging more for a rare game warrants pirating and ripping off the developer/publisher. That's like setting fire to someone's crops because the supermarket wouldn't take your coupon. I just follow my old policy of paying for what I think is fair.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

When I saw the thread title I was making a joke in my head that they probably marked the prices up high just like Xenoblade Chronicles...... but then I actually came into the thread. Ugh

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By TournamentOfHate

@somedelicook said:

When I saw the thread title I was making a joke in my head that they probably marked the prices up high just like Xenoblade Chronicles...... but then I actually came into the thread. Ugh

Yeah this is crazy that they're doing this again. Like, good for the people who were looking everywhere to find a copy, but taking advantage of them is fucked.

Edit: Just did a google search and I guess this was reported awhile ago and might happen again with other games. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/14/xenoblade-and-metroid-prime-being-restocked-at-gamestop

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you are Brad Shoemaker-levels of snobby about graphics, let me ruin your day by noting that the Metroid Prime Trilogy had to convert Metroid Prime 1 and 2 to a newer engine, and somehow that resulted in the loss of some minor visual effects. Specifically, pools of water don't really ripple when you shoot them (or when you roll around in them in morph ball mode), and some weapon effects are missing (I believe when you shoot the ice beam against walls, a small cluster of ice is supposed to gather on the wall for a second or two, but that no longer happens in Trilogy).

Loading Video...

In conclusion, if you're a normal person, none of that shit should matter, because all three are great games, and at this point you're sweating small details in a 10-year-old game that is no longer even close to cutting edge.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Best on PC.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time. I'm interested in this, but I have to ask... do you have to control it using the wii remote? I disliked it in MP3 compared to the original's controls.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DeF

@fredchuckdave said:

Alternatively you could just buy them individually + a gamecube for less than 80 bucks.

and entirely miss the point of having the trilogy with the added features.

@fengshuigod said:

Best on PC.

also not entirely legal but sure.

So, Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time. I'm interested in this, but I have to ask... do you have to control it using the wii remote? I disliked it in MP3 compared to the original's controls.

Yes of course, it's the whole point of this re-release. If you don't want that, just buy the GCN versions of MP1 and MP2.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you are Brad Shoemaker-levels of snobby about graphics, let me ruin your day by noting that the Metroid Prime Trilogy had to convert Metroid Prime 1 and 2 to a newer engine, and somehow that resulted in the loss of some minor visual effects. Specifically, pools of water don't really ripple when you shoot them (or when you roll around in them in morph ball mode), and some weapon effects are missing (I believe when you shoot the ice beam against walls, a small cluster of ice is supposed to gather on the wall for a second or two, but that no longer happens in Trilogy).

Loading Video...

In conclusion, if you're a normal person, none of that shit should matter, because all three are great games, and at this point you're sweating small details in a 10-year-old game that is no longer even close to cutting edge.

Also, personally, I'll gladly take the downgraded effects for the addition of widescreen and most importantly Wii Remote controls that I absolutely love for those games. But I can understand where some purists might have a preference for the GCN versions.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Yeah, it's weird how the Wii Remote controls change the game. The whole trilogy is very lock-on focused.

In the Gamecube version, that meant your reticule would always be aimed at the center of mass of the enemy, but if they were far enough away and moving, your auto-aimed shots would trail behind and miss. In the Wii version, your view is locked to the center of mass, but you can still freely aim around the screen, meaning you can actually end up leading the target very precisely while the lock-on ensures you are always perfectly facing the enemy (with arguably less disorientation than the way you would have to lead a target in a traditional analog stick/mouse and keyboard FPS).

It's a pity that overall gamer opinion of the Wii remote + nunchuk is fairly low, and that very few decent FPS games were made for the Wii.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

??? I got mine for €20-30?

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

??? I got mine for €20-30?

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, $80 is about what this game is worth someplace like ebay, but if Gamestop is restocking with new items they should just sell them for $50 or maybe $60 and deal with the fact that they are going to get resellers buying it. (That's a common issue when you reprint a book, comic, or movie too). Not that you would expect either company to not screw over their customer.

That said, the trilogy is by far the best way to play these games, because the Gamecube control scheme is really sub-optimal. Personally I would have preferred a dual-stick shooter, but the games came out before that control setup was standardized. Prime one and two have an incredibly good sense of atmosphere, almost like Bioshock, and being able to have that weight invoked through a widescreen TV, with surround sound is amazing.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def: Thanks for the answer. I already own all the GCN versions, but I wouldn't mind having them all in one place.

wishful_starrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I need to beat 2 and 3

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By DeF

That said, the trilogy is by far the best way to play these games, because the Gamecube control scheme is really sub-optimal. Personally I would have preferred a dual-stick shooter, but the games came out before that control setup was standardized. Prime one and two have an incredibly good sense of atmosphere, almost like Bioshock, and being able to have that weight invoked through a widescreen TV, with surround sound is amazing.

The games are designed for lock-on on a single stick and it works wonderfully that way. The Prime games are not shooters. The shooting is secondary to the exploration. Dual stick controls would've been terrible as you would've lost the visor select on the C-stick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.