Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Franchise »

The Mortal Kombat series, and its many games, continues to deliver gruesome fighting action to its fans.

Midway: Sell Mortal Kombat Or Reorg And We'll Give You A Bonus

• 75 results
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By Kyle

"Activision or EA are going to rape MK"

Oh yes, because Midway's been doing SUUUCH a great job with it so far. Give me a break...

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By Kyle

So i guess basically it's like "YO, find a way to get your company to make money, or sell Mortal Kombat and get the fuck out of my sight."

AnthraX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By AnthraX

If MK goes the dev team should go  with it. This would have to be a package deal for me. Ed Boon and the gang are synonymous with MK. I don't think the franchise would be the same without  them. Lets hope MK stays with Midway and they manage to crawl out of their financial hole without going totally under. 

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#54  Edited By MeatSim

I guess Midway is in more trouble then I thought.

Popojiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Popojiju

Capcom should purchase it. They have Dead Rising and Resident Evil already. It's not like they don't know how to do a bloody game, plus the VS. stuff, so it's just a solid fit more so than any other publisher. If anyone like Atari, Activision or THQ takes it, we're screwed.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By c1337us
    jakob187 said:
    "You don't have MK without the MK team.  Otherwise, it would be a failure.  If they get sold, I'll bet EA would make a HELL of a bid for it.  Why not?  They don't have a fighting franchise after all (and anyone who says Def Jam deserves to be kicked in the face by Joe Budden).  With all the GOOD things that EA has been doing lately (original IPs, acquiring killer teams like Bioware and Pandemic, bringing out the amazing development talents of Redwood Shores, reworking their old franchises to breath some new life into them)...

I think EA would be a worthwhile person to pick up MK."
    What jakob has said makes a lot of sense. MK would add another string to the EA bow, and they have been doing good things lately. But

LordAndrew said:
    "I want Capcom to pick up Mortal Kombat so they can make that Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter game Ed Boon's always talking about."
    In theory that would be awesome. But eventualluy one or the other is going to fall by the way side cause I dont believe Capcom are going to put in the money and effort to pump out both series on a regular basis and do a good job of it. And MK has already got a good thing started with DC with the vs thing. Either way if Midway were to sell hopefully they would adopt the MK development team rather then just handing it off.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#57  Edited By vigorousjammer

Midway should bring back the San Francisco Rush series.

They could do a Burnout Paradise style game and I'm sure it'd do amazing

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Scooper

I'm only really a fan of old-school arcade Midway at this point, I never was a fan of MK.

blazingwookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By blazingwookie

I don't know who could handle it, but I'd like to see someone get it and take it back to it's 2D roots.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By GreggD

EA or Activision would most likely pick it up. OR, in the best case scenario...Capcom. Then they could finally do a Vs game featuring the two most influential fighting games of the nineties: Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. No one. And I mean, NO ONE can tell me that wouldn't be fucking great.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By AspiringAndy

This is bad news, I liked the way MK was going, enjoyed MK vs DC.

@GreggD Somehow I don't think Capcom would do MK right, they would probably make it too complex. Anyway why would Capcom want a franchise that competes with SF4? I know they are quite different games and they have there own markets but, one fighting game is enough right?

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By EvilDingo

What about Epic? The MK-series already run on Unreal-engine, and they're more likely to keep the game rated M for Mature and gore as hell.

I don't necessarily think that whoever picks up the license, is someone who already has a fighting franchise... Why would it be?

I think most other developers hoping to buy the license would want to keep the game T for teen (like MK vs DC) to sell it to the largest possible audience.

Personally though, I can live without fatalities. I actually don't think the concept goes very well, with a game that has a story that's as cohesive as MK's.
    How does brutally murdering EVERYBODY you meet (including allies) makes sense when trying to tell a story.
    Think MK vs DC did it right by omitting fatalities from the story-mode.
    BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BelowStupid

Midway has made subpar games for the last couple of years now (besides maybe the last MK) the way i see it they've had it coming for a long time now, it's survival of the fitest, so why have a developer around that can't make any standout games or even make a WW2 shoot that has a good demo? ie Hour of victory

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By insanegamer

i hope Rockstar picks it up that would be intresting.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Geno

I thought MK was like the only good property that Midway had left. Rather than dishing out these bonuses for actions that will nary make a difference they may as well just give employees their severance and pack up.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By GreggD

@AspiringAndy: Doesn't Capcom already have like at least three different fighting franchises? Is one more under their belt going to change things that much? Also, they couldn't make it any more complex than Midway has made it in the past, and Hell, they could very well make it just as fluid and balanced as Street Fighter is.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By ttocs

I can really see EA trying to pick this one up.

Treppass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By Treppass

mc v sf?! id never buy that

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By DukeTogo

Being someone that really only liked the original MK as a marginally amusing game that today could be made in Flash by a few dudes filming in a garage, I recognize it was huge back then and still has a loyal fan base.

Midway should just let it go and let somebody else make it, maybe with a rider that Boon would still have control over certain aspects of the lore.  Honestly look at the last few MK games and see if Midway has done right by the franchise with those games.  MKVDC was regarded as a decent game but the lack of gore turned off many fans.  The previous games before were okay but the franchise just kept going in goofy directions and it felt like the only thing they could add were literally hundreds of unlockable pieces of junk to keep you interested, along with kart racing and poorly-done adventure modes.

The series needs to do what the other series have done, reboot the franchise by going back to the origins of the game by keeping the fighting 2D.  I'd actually like to see them go back and use real people again and do a straight-up retro with old-ass design style.  Something like Mega Man 9.

Seriously.  How cool would it be to play Mortal Kombat IV with graphics a bit better than III with all those old characters?  This would evoke the same nostalgia that games like SFIV and BC:R did.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By agentboolen

I think selling Mortal Kombat could be one of the biggest mistakes if they don't look at there options carefully.  Midway really only has one francise and thats MK, I think they should try to come up with some new IP's before they go selling there only money maker. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c468a9482ba9
    deactivated-5c468a9482ba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be EA/Activison/Ubisoft, one of the three incarnates of the Great Satan. But I wish it were Capcom, who'd be able to actually make fantastic MK games and bring them over for MK vs SF crossovers.

DaViCuTTeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DaViCuTTeR
    RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By RipTheVeins

maybe Starbreeze should do it...they know how to make games over-the-top, near-realistically gory, and funny all at the same time...maybe that's just me hoping for a Jackie Estacado, or Riddick cameo..one can dream.

dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By dQuarters
    Oh no. The Boon bros. might have to find a new ticket to ride ... into the ground.

Ever since I heard about Midway's debt, and Sumner hiding in his bunker made of gold, I've been hoping Ubisoft would pick up my favourite game series of all time. Now it seems it's closer than ever to happening. Fingers and toes are crossed.
    Ubi is the only company I can see bringing back the fighting genre to the NA audience. And with Prince of P's new fighting mechanics, it seems like a flashy, non-tournament fighter is exactly the type of game they'd be interested in making. And the MK license would be the hypiest and therefor best way to make that splash. And hell, maybe we'll see a really good MK this millennium. Or better still, I'll get to use a Scorpion skin in AC2.

Bright yellow ninjas ... what'll they think of next?
    haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By haethos

According to Thomas's response to the allegations made in bankruptcy court by Midway's debtors, Midway is currently hemorrhaging cash and will use up ~75% of its cash reserves by the end of this fiscal year.

Having seen Thomas's response to the objection of the debtors, I think the picture is becoming more clear. To me, it seems that Redstone obviously had knowledge of Midway's "hemorrhaging" of cash, and realized that he had to sell off the company for pennies on the dollar. While it seems ludicrous to sell it for $100,000, it's also hard to properly appraise Midway's worth, as it was up to its neck in debt and was losing cash quickly.

Thomas essentially acquired, for the price of a hundred thousand dollars, a company on the verge of collapse. While he stands to gain in the long term (thirty million dollars is a ton of money, after all), it's undeniable that that payoff is still far in the future.

I don't see any way for Midway to get out of the red unless they drastically restructure and change their business strategy (e.g. Capcom or Atari). The Chapter 11 filing gives Thomas the flexibility to make adjustments inside Midway to turn it back into a viable company, while also guaranteeing a return on his initial investment should everything turn out alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.