Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Is Johnny Cage too good?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By stonyman65

Ok, I've been playing the demo for a few days now and I want your opinion on this... 

Is Johnny Cage too good?   

To me, who is traditionally a Subzero/Scorpion/Raiden guy that hates Johnny cage, after playing him in the demo he seems much, much faster than anyone else. The ninjas are kind of slow, with to many animations per attack, but johnny is fast and snappy. 

Is it just me or is he way over-balanced in the demo? 

Hopefully this will be fixed when the game comes out.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I heard from a guy that they've re-balanced things a lot since the build that the demo is. I doubt he'll be over-powered or anything in the final version of the game. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

The demo is not final code.  Ed Boon has stated in interviews that the character balance in the demo was already outdated when it was published.

This of course does not mean that Johnny Cage nor any other character will be overpowered when the final game ships, but don't judge a character's abilities relative to the others on the demo; particularly when the demo has only four characters.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By stonyman65

ahh good.  Thats what I was hoping you'd say.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JasonR86
    @Stonyman65: 

I was kind of under the impression that Scorpion was to strong.  It might just be my bias as he's the only character I could really wrap my brain around.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By TechHits

@Stonyman65:  After playing quite a bit of the demo and having a chance to play with a couple of different people for a few hours, I really don't think he is unbalanced. His X-ray is a counter, and a vary obvious one at that. his fire ball is weak at midrange, and  his normal don't do that much damage. In fact I would say he needs more tools to allow his to move forward safely.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I just hope they take the direction of MvC3 by making every character ungodly broken, rather than going SSFIV nerf-hammer on this game. 

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Slaker117

I'm pretty sure Boon has even specifically said they know Cage is overpowered in that build.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By TechHits
    @JasonR86 said:
    " @Stonyman65:   I was kind of under the impression that Scorpion was to strong.  It might just be my bias as he's the only character I could really wrap my brain around. "

@JasonR86:  Yah in the demo he has an answer for everything from every character, Including an unblockable Special he can place at the end of a block string to get a knock down and avoid punishment. 
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stonyman65
    @TechHits: I agree with that, but what I am talking about is purley the speed, he has traditionally been a long range fighter with the shadow kick and fire balls, but up close he can do some damage.   I was playing against the cpu on expert and beat the demo in 3 mins with him.  everyone else it took about 5 and over, and what scares me is that I'm not that good at MK!
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By I_smell

Maybe they made him more powerful for the demo cos everyone is obviously gonna play SubZero and Scorpion.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I find Scorpion to be harder to kill then Cage. 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaker117
    @SirOptimusPrime:  I think I remember hearing from Jeff on the podcast that that was what they are doing. If a character is too powerful, raise everyone else to meet him instead of knocking him down. Should be fun, if not tournament worthy. Which is fine. I want MK to be fun.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#14  Edited By sammo21
    @Stonyman65:   Considering its a demo with only small percentage of the roster, its not the final version, the game can be patched day one, AND there isn't a full move list I will say:

No.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By blueduck
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @SirOptimusPrime:  I think I remember hearing from Jeff on the podcast that that was what they are doing. If a character is too powerful, raise everyone else to meet him instead of knocking him down. Should be fun, if not tournament worthy. Which is fine. I want MK to be fun. "
    Unless this game is super awful I don't see how it can be any less tournament ready than MvC3.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slaker117
    @blueduck:  I actually don't know anything about other fighting games or major tournaments, I just know that a lot of those high level players look down at MK. I can't comment on relative standards, but I wanted to say I don't give a fuck. I just want to have fun with it.
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stonyman65
    @Slaker117: Most of the tournament players are Street Fighter guys.  MK hasn't had that much pull in the tourney scene since the mid 90's, like UMK3 era. 

I hope that will change. 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slaker117
    @Stonyman65:  Guess it would be cool, but as long as the game isn't mad broken/unbalanced, I'm happy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hear that Stryker is God Tier.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By IBurningStar

I didn't really notice any balance issues with anyone in the demo. If I had to say anyone was slightly OP it would be Scorpion, but that is just from my experiences. Sub-zero and Mileena felt perfect to me. I'm sure the guys at NR are aware of any balance issues and will be fixed by the time the game launches.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stonyman65
    @bartok: Thats because Stryker IS God.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316
    @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " I just hope they take the direction of MvC3 by making every character ungodly broken, rather than going SSFIV nerf-hammer on this game.  "
    I think that's the philosophy.  I remember hearing that somewhere, either the Bombcast or Mr. Boon himself.
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Portis
    @bartok said:
    " I hear that Stryker is God Tier. "
    If he's not, I'm not buying the game. 
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Malakhii
    @Portis said:
    " @bartok said:
    " I hear that Stryker is God Tier. "
    If he's not, I'm not buying the game.  "
    The only way he can truly reach God tier is that they give him an alt-costume with the hat spun around backwards. 
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dan_CiTi

The demo version is a very old build of the game, so don't worry about balance related things. It's just to get a feel for how the game plays and the basics of the gameplay systems. 

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MudMan
    @csl316 said:
    " @SirOptimusPrime said:
    " I just hope they take the direction of MvC3 by making every character ungodly broken, rather than going SSFIV nerf-hammer on this game.  "
    I think that's the philosophy.  I remember hearing that somewhere, either the Bombcast or Mr. Boon himself. "
    Please, no. 

I played MvC3 for a week and I haven't touched it since. That game is unplayable. I hate fighting games that are about laughing at how cheap you were with the tapped-in combo that you found most people don't know how to counter.  

Anyway, I've only played the demo against the AI so far, but it seemed to me that Cage just had more natural flowing combos, so it was easy to pull them off, but Scorpion felt faster than him to me. Without versus play it's a bit hard to tell if there are any imbalances. Sub-Zero did feel like he was too slow to pull off freezing moves, though.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By csl316
    @NoelVeiga said:
    " @csl316 said:
    " @SirOptimusPrime said:
    I think that's the philosophy.  I remember hearing that somewhere, either the Bombcast or Mr. Boon himself. "
    Please, no.  I played MvC3 for a week and I haven't touched it since. That game is unplayable. I hate fighting games that are about laughing at how cheap you were with the tapped-in combo that you found most people don't know how to counter.   Anyway, I've only played the demo against the AI so far, but it seemed to me that Cage just had more natural flowing combos, so it was easy to pull them off, but Scorpion felt faster than him to me. Without versus play it's a bit hard to tell if there are any imbalances. Sub-Zero did feel like he was too slow to pull off freezing moves, though. "
    I dunno, played some versus today and had plenty of back and forth.  I was taking down his Johnny Cage with Sub-Zero plenty of times.  He had Mileena beat Sub-Zero, my Scorpion beat his Mileena, his Johnny Cage beat my Scorpion.  So a nice sense of balance, at least for us.  We didn't find anything super cheap (granted, we aren't pros), but I doubt this'll become the ridiculous combo fest that MvC 3 can be.  Completely different styles.

Again, the demo is an old build of the game.  And Boon said they can make balance changes on the fly upon release, so exploits will hopefully get fixed relatively quickly if they occur.
    MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MudMan
    @csl316: My feeling after the demo is that it is closer to SFIV than to MvC3, too, but without a lot of online experience it's hard to tell how prevalent cheap tag combos are going to be. 

I'm a bit more confident because the combo breaker is not random in MK. I think that was the most glaring mistake in MvC3. Randomized combo breaker and parrying that pushes you away meant that tapped combos are unstoppable and shotguns have a crazy advantage.  

Man, that game is broken. 

Anyway, yeah, here's hoping the game is as good as the demo. I really liked it, to be honest. It feels very MK 1-2, which is good, it looks impressive and it has a very solid sense of personality about the mechanics. It is clearly not Street Fighter or Versus but its own thing. I was taking positive coverage with a grain of salt before (I mean, it's Mortal Kombat, you know?) but the demo did its job, I'm now officially anticipating that game.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By csl316
    @NoelVeiga:  Yeah, the game looked cool but I was curious what it would feel like.  After playing today I was sold, and I was surprised how much fun we had after practicing for a couple minutes.  I usually hate playing anything other than Tekken, since that's the only fighter that I'm pretty good at.  But even though our matches were probably terrible, they were a ton of fun.  Played a ton of MK 1 and 2, but sort of went away after beating 3 a couple times.  Brought back good memories.  

You're right, it definitely feels like its own thing.  And I like it.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Undeadpool

I usually play as Scorpion and I'm able to keep pace with my roomies who are both WAY more experienced with the game no matter who they choose. So either the game is more intuitive to pick up (cause they usually work me over in SSFIV) or Scorpion is overpowered. Or both.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By dbz1995

I played around a bit with all four and found Sub-Zero to be the best. Dunno how well his Ground Freeze will work as a feint from an Ice Ball (since you can't trick the CPU with it), but other than that his combos take away a fair bit, his IceBall is a good projectile whilst his Ice Beam is fantastic, and his clones are pretty good for keeping attacks like Scorpion's Teleport Punches and Mileena's Teleport Kick out of the way (although they also make the CPU spam like a bitch).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.