Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 20, 2013

A free-to-play MMORPG inspired by R.A. Salvatore's Neverwinter Saga book trilogy.

Neverwinter Pricing Model Still Up In The Air

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

The word on the streets is that Cryptic Studios is planning to build Neverwinter as a micro-transaction-funded title. That hasn't been confirmed, and it looks as if Cryptic won't be revealing the game's model for awhile, as it's still evaluating its options.

In a chat with Gamasutra (via Big Download), COO Jack Emmert implied that the studio is still thinking about the pricing model and said that every sort of model--pay-by-the-hour, monthly or weekly subscriptions, and free-to-play, etc.--are still fair game for the MMO developer's non-MMO title. 

"I can guarantee you that we envision this as an online product that will continue to grow over time, that we continue to add content to. So whether it's subscription fee, whether it's free-to-play, whether it's micro-transactions, whether it's pay-by-the-minute [laughs], whether it's some sort of Ponzi scheme that I haven't figured out, I don't know. None of that has been announced," he said.

No Caption Provided

Neverwinter was announced last week as an online, co-op focused RPG. Details are light, but Cryptic has divulged that the game will revolve around you and four other adventurers in a story inspired by an upcoming Dungeons and Dragons-based trilogy by fantasy author R.A. Salvatore.     
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

The word on the streets is that Cryptic Studios is planning to build Neverwinter as a micro-transaction-funded title. That hasn't been confirmed, and it looks as if Cryptic won't be revealing the game's model for awhile, as it's still evaluating its options.

In a chat with Gamasutra (via Big Download), COO Jack Emmert implied that the studio is still thinking about the pricing model and said that every sort of model--pay-by-the-hour, monthly or weekly subscriptions, and free-to-play, etc.--are still fair game for the MMO developer's non-MMO title. 

"I can guarantee you that we envision this as an online product that will continue to grow over time, that we continue to add content to. So whether it's subscription fee, whether it's free-to-play, whether it's micro-transactions, whether it's pay-by-the-minute [laughs], whether it's some sort of Ponzi scheme that I haven't figured out, I don't know. None of that has been announced," he said.

No Caption Provided

Neverwinter was announced last week as an online, co-op focused RPG. Details are light, but Cryptic has divulged that the game will revolve around you and four other adventurers in a story inspired by an upcoming Dungeons and Dragons-based trilogy by fantasy author R.A. Salvatore.     
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By bicycleham

Did I do it? 

Of Course I did.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bicycleham
    @RiotBananas said:
    " @Xolare: Fail. "
    What fail does my post contain? It's about the same as every other "First" post ever.
    Maxynator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Maxynator
    @Xolare: 
    Defending is useless, attacking is more rewarding 
    that didn't make any sense
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Chris2KLee

Yesh, here I thought Cryptic was going to make a game without a fee, just straight box purchase. Still, seeing as I have no idea what the actual game is gonna be, I guess I'll wait and see. If this is gonna be a more straight take on DnD with focus on small party co-op, then I could see them offering a micro-transaction model that involves buying new quest "modules" like in the old days of DnD. Knowing exactly how this game is gonna play is the first thing I wanna know thought.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

At first I thought I read a COO response from Jerk Emmact.

I'm truly disgusted with all the money-grubbing going on in the games industry lately.  Pay to play! DLC!  Extra XBL Live fees!  Newer (HIGHER) Used Game Prices!  Just Because!  

It had better last 50 hours or longer or forget it.  

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Ineedaname

The game page says it not out till Q4 of next year, and it was only announced a few days back, the fact we know nothing of the pricing structure is hardly anything to write about.

Also on the game itself I'm less interested because the products Cryptic put out seem to be some what sub par and instead of fixing them it seems they just churn more out, though I don't know how many staff they have, so maybe they're not stretching themselves as thin as all this seems.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Nasos100

they will fuck NWN up :(

dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dyong

Here's a pricing model that's guaranteed to succeed: The one that people are willing to pay for your game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo

Because making it up as you go along always leads to success.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

What the fuck?! I gave Cryptic my trust with this game but all I can say to them now is get the fuck away from my game!!!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

I don't buy loot with people money. No.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15  Edited By infestedandy

A MMO type subscription for a regular game? Strange but hey, it's Cryptic. All they've done is MMOs so I guess it's not that surprising.

Hopefully they don't go that route...

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @ryanwho said:
    " I don't buy loot with people money. No. "
    Seriously. This. 

Huge fan of Neverwinter Nights, and I'm anxious to see more of this game. But I'm not doing micro-transactions. Save that shit for the 12 year olds.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I fail to see why people critisize micro-transactions so heavily, yet are fine with subscription fee's.  Are you aware that "server maintenance" is almost totally a myth, and almost the entirity of the subsciption costs simply go towards the developers profit.

When developers continue to release new content on a very regular basis, I can let it slide..  But I'd still rather pay for the new content as it comes and just be able to play the standard version of the game when I want with no extra costs tacked on.

That being said, the first two Neverwinter games offered multiplayer exactly like they're describing here.  As did Diablo and countless other games.  They can not possibly even contemplate putting an on going charge on this.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18  Edited By mariussmit

So what does this news story actually say? That they haven't decided about something yet? I'm sure they haven't decided on all the game play systems, levels, classes, and other content but there is no point in reporting that they haven't decided what those are.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @BradNicholson said:
    "...So whether it's subscription fee, whether it's free-to-play, whether it's micro-transactions, whether it's pay-by-the-minute [laughs], whether it's some sort of Ponzi scheme that I haven't figured out, I don't know."
    Hmmm... I wonder which one it won't be?

(Hint: I may or may not have bolded it in the quote)
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Rockdalf

I'm a long time Neverwinter nights and D&D tabletop fan, but after being burnt by Cryptic with Champions (a game I followed for a long time) and how they dealt with their community, I'ma have to take a pass. 

The reason he can't decide which description model to talk about is because they're probably going to go with all of them...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21  Edited By fisk0
    @infestedandy said:

" A MMO type subscription for a regular game? Strange but hey, it's Cryptic. All they've done is MMOs so I guess it's not that surprising.  Hopefully they don't go that route... "

Maybe they do it like the japanese. "We do RPG's. So this tetris style game is obviously also a RPG", so even an offline singleplayer game from Cryptic would require subscription fees, since they do MMOs.

But hey, they could be taking Neverwinter back to it's pay-by-the-minute-and-use-up-your-phone-line roots. It was one of the first MMOs back when AT&T launched it in 1993 or when it was.

And hey, wouldn't forcing the user to constantly be on the phone with an employee of Cryptic or licensed intermediator while playing the game be a fantastic DRM to shove up the loyal customer's license.

Avatar image for spacebutler256-DEFUNCT
    SpaceButler256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpaceButler256

Problem with Cryptic microtransations is that they are not micro.  For Star Trek Online, which they said would only have relatively cosmetic stuff in their "C-Store" they've started introducing new ships, ships the users asked for, nifty stuff like the Galaxy class from the future in the TNG finale.  The problem is the Cryptic Points you'd need to buy one of these run to somewhere around $20-25!!!   *edit* That galaxy is 2000 Cryptic points, which sells for $25  The other ships they've added so far are 1200.

NOT MICRO

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Jayzilla

cryptic hasn't really wowed me with their games as of late and the matrix which was published by atari and an SOE network MMO(could me wrong about that)? The last two Neverwinter games were system hogs and didn't really stand out to me as OMGosh, AWESOME looking game! This doesn't excite me all that much considering there is already a free to play DnD title out there. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

Oh cool. I missed this game announcement. I hope it does the genre the justice it's been lacking.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dedodido

So... a developer renowned for making bad games is probably going to expect people to pay a subscription or pay for micro-transactions for a non-MMO game...

When did game development move into loonytown?

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By StingingVelvet

Combining the fact that Cryptic make soulless and empty games along with the fact I play solo RPGs, not online RPGs, means I am less than enthused for this.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nettacki
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I fail to see why people critisize micro-transactions so heavily, yet are fine with subscription fee's.  Are you aware that "server maintenance" is almost totally a myth, and almost the entirity of the subsciption costs simply go towards the developers profit.  When developers continue to release new content on a very regular basis, I can let it slide..  But I'd still rather pay for the new content as it comes and just be able to play the standard version of the game when I want with no extra costs tacked on.  That being said, the first two Neverwinter games offered multiplayer exactly like they're describing here.  As did Diablo and countless other games.  They can not possibly even contemplate putting an on going charge on this. "
    Haven't you noticed? Micro-transactions have, more often than not, failed to really satisfy people in the long run. At least, when they're done they way Cryptic Studios has done it.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By crusader8463

This is sad news indeed. I despise how Cryptic feels the need to nickle and dime every god dam game they make.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Mr_Skeleton said:
    "

What the fuck?! I gave Cryptic my trust with this game but all I can say to them now is get the fuck away from my game!!!

"
    Why would you ever give Cryptic your trust?
    They are in business of making shovelware MMO's by exploiting recognisable lisences.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Nettacki said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I fail to see why people critisize micro-transactions so heavily, yet are fine with subscription fee's.  Are you aware that "server maintenance" is almost totally a myth, and almost the entirity of the subsciption costs simply go towards the developers profit.  When developers continue to release new content on a very regular basis, I can let it slide..  But I'd still rather pay for the new content as it comes and just be able to play the standard version of the game when I want with no extra costs tacked on.  That being said, the first two Neverwinter games offered multiplayer exactly like they're describing here.  As did Diablo and countless other games.  They can not possibly even contemplate putting an on going charge on this. "
    Haven't you noticed? Micro-transactions have, more often than not, failed to really satisfy people in the long run. At least, when they're done they way Cryptic Studios has done it. "
    Oh, I agree that the way they're normally handled is terrible, especially as it's usually ON TOP of a subscription.
    But when done right, there's less to complain about than other methods, in my opinion.
    Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By imayellowfellow

this was the shittiest press release ever, I cant believe the PR department let this guy say this, not that he intends to use necessarily any of these models but its still something you shouldnt say in a press release, makes the consumers lose faith in ur product and just see it as some desperate grab at the dollars in our wallets

salarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By salarus

I thought we tried the Hellgate model once before... 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By penguindust

I don't care about anything Cryptic is doing.  I've been disappointed by too many of their games in the past. 

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Cryptic is just fucking adorable.

Avatar image for brilliantcircle
    BrilliantCircle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BrilliantCircle

I hate when devs add micro-transaction.  Usually all the good stuff are the things you can only buy.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nettacki
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Nettacki said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    Haven't you noticed? Micro-transactions have, more often than not, failed to really satisfy people in the long run. At least, when they're done they way Cryptic Studios has done it. "
    Oh, I agree that the way they're normally handled is terrible, especially as it's usually ON TOP of a subscription. But when done right, there's less to complain about than other methods, in my opinion. "
    True. That is, when done right. Here, it's most likely to go wrong considering the developer's previous track record.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.